Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Josh Sawyer plans to develop a historical RPG after his current project

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People thinking Sawyer can make anything decent just because he's a history buff? You're not going to get Darklands II, you're going to get Pillars of Drudgery with less colours.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If he is doing an historical RPG about Islam conquest then it will be the last game developed by Obsidian.

You're saying Obsidian shouldn't poke the bear? I thought bears only come in cuddly, Winnie the Pooh forms, there's no reason to be scared.

I wish they poke the bear but they don't have balls for that.

Also Sawyer is a filthy SJW with German ancestry therefore he will make a game in the Yurop.

Fry

Arcane
Not sure on the part of "no-compromises" though. Isn't Sawyer established to be quite the sjw?

Is he? Depends on your particular trigger level, I guess. I find it hard to get worked up about black people in a fantasy-world version of southern Europe myself.

I don't know of any other medieval history nerds who happen to be highly-placed designers at a dev studio with actual resources, so I'll call him qualified.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
People thinking Sawyer can make anything decent just because he's a history buff? You're not going to get Darklands II, you're going to get Pillars of Drudgery with less colours.
If not Sawyer then who else?

Besides I don't think another game would resemble PoE mechanically because it wouldn't have the same design restrictions.

Kron

Arcane
Actual history involves a ton of politically incorrect/racist/nationalist/egotistical and morally ambiguous stuff - and that's part of what makes it interesting! Seriously doubt Obsidian can pull off a historical game (regardless of setting) that tastefully handles these themes tbh.

Fry

Arcane
Actual history involves a ton of politically incorrect/racist/nationalist/egotistical and morally ambiguous stuff - and that's part of what makes it interesting! Seriously doubt Obsidian can pull off a historical game (regardless of setting) that tastefully handles these themes tbh.

Tyranny is supposed to be addressing those very themes, isn't it? I guess we'll find out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I sure did. Never seen such a strong case against Christianity.

So are you going to pretend that the Bible doesn't have fantastic creatures (giants, angels, the behemoth and the leviathan) or magic (countless miracles, stuff like Samson's hair)

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I hope he does the game set in the 90's. I want my party of adventurers to be able to keep 2Pac alive and get the "film Clinton getting a hummer in the Oval Office" quest.

FUDU

Arcane
No worries, Josh will die of hipster aids long before this "game" has a chance to come out.

Either that, or he will be ran over on his eco friendly bicycle, by some fat bastard in an H2.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
¿Can we please please please, pretty please with a cherry on top, stop with the swords, magic and "historic" old events and do something new and different?

I'm starting to be really fed up of that setting, it's like nothing else outside from swords and magic or apocalyptic settings can be done on crpgs unless some kind of miracle every 8 years happens.

Maybe another vampire?
Jagged alliance or invisible inc?
A setting like Mass effect but inside a good crpg?
Superheroes?
Sports?
Hell, even a WW2 setting would do it, just stop with the swords or magic for a bit.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm starting to be really fed up of that setting, it's like nothing else outside from swords and magic or apocalyptic settings can be done on crpgs unless some kind of miracle every 8 years happens.

Yeah, it is really odd because all those games that don't go for those worn out clichés sell so damn well. It is like publishers hate money or something?

Prime Junta

The main appeal of a historical-fantasy game for me is that the lore is already there. You don't need the typical infodumps, and you can reference complicated stuff without having to lay it all out in excruciating detail. Mix that up with tight gameplay, a good story, and don't get too anal about realism and it could turn out very good indeed.

(Plus, I also dig attribute-less, classless systems. This could get gud.)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is there anything stopping you from doing historical RPG?

Bs46YAO.jpg

I guess PoE really did well enough to give Sawyer some hopes for future. If it ends up turn-based it will mean Urquhart really had gone completely 180.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never tire of Josh Sawyer threads......how it went from "Josh Sawyer is a GOD! Man I wish Josh Sawyer was given free reign to make a game! He would get away with it too if it weren't for that meddling decline we are living through!" turn into: "Josh Sawyer is bsb, hipster faggot hack!Wish he'd stop with RPG's already!".

I can file it with the others: "Brian Fargo is a GOD!If only inXile could go independent and not have to make Choplifter or Hunted!Wasteland 2 and Torment will show the world!!!!" to "Fargo is a ghoul, snake oil merchant and inXile make shit bsb effort at a RPG!" and "Sven is a GOD! Can't wait to see him really freed from the shackles with Divinity!Best RPG evah coming up!" to "Sven is bsb faggot!Larian are shit and Divity is a repetitive joke with shit writing!"

Now waiting for the MCA 180 at the codex: "MCA is a GOD!Can't wait for MCA to show the world what he can do!" turn into: ???????.....

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now waiting for the MCA 180 at the codex: "MCA is a GOD!Can't wait for MCA to show the world what he can do!" turn into: ???????.....
I thought that already happened with Alpha Protocol, although not to an extent as is with Josh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good morning folks!

I'm surprised Roguey didn't post the story about Sawyer demolishing popular SJW beliefs about medieval witchcraft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom