Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Why use Tumbler? *Who* uses Tumbler? And what for and why is Josh taking questions from there?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wh...bsidian-vet-and-pentiment-creator-josh-sawyer

What's on your bookshelf?: Obsidian vet and Pentiment creator Josh Sawyer​

Hello reader who is also a reader, and welcome back to Booked For The Week - our regular Sunday chat with a selection of cool industry folks about books! Did you know that the word 'book' was originally spelled with several extra 'o's in it? This was changed when it was collectively decided that telling someone to "please, just read a book" was resulting in several more murders a year than anyone could be bothered to keep track of. This week, it’s Obsidian vet and Pentiment creator Josh Sawyer! Cheers Josh! Mind if we have a nose at your bookshelf?

What are you currently reading?
Uncommon Prayer by Kimberly Johnson. It’s a book of poetry about desire, much of it framed by the concepts of the Liturgy of the Hours and other temporal structures. It’s quite beautiful and moving and feels like a good chaser to Pentiment.
What did you last read?
Stasiland: Stories From Behind The Berlin Wall by Anna Funder.Funder lived in Berlin after the fall of the wall and she conducted interviews with people who either suffered under the East German Stasi (Ministerium für Staatssicherheit – Ministry for State Security) or worked within it – sometimes both. I started reading it shortly after watching the 2006 film The Lives Of Others / Das Leben Der Anderen) and found it fascinating.
What are you eyeing up next?
I’m going to take another run at Im Westen Nichts Neues (All Quiet On The Western Front) by Erich Maria Remarque. I watched the German film adaptation last year and resolved to read it, but my German language skills were in better shape back then, so I think it’s going to be a hard start.
What book do you quote from the most?
Probably The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco. It was hugely influential on Pentiment and has some great passages in it. Stat rosa pristina nominee; nomina nuda tenemus ['the ancient Rose remains by its name, naked names (are all that) we have'].
What book do you find yourself bothering friends to read?
Tragically, also The Name Of The Rose.
What book would you like to see someone adapt to a game?
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster as an adventure game of some sort.
Well, it seems Mr. Sawyer can craft a stunningly well-written and fascinating murder mystery, but when it comes to this column’s secret goal of naming every book in existence, he’s just as useless as anyone else. Thus, history repeats itself, and we’re doomed to do the whole thing again next week. As a bonus reader game: I’ve almost run out of cool industry person responses from my first round of answer harvesting. Anyone you’d especially like to see in the column? Let me know, and catch you next week. And remember: No use crying over dropped bookmarks. Just fold the corner of the pages like I used to until someone literally broke up with me over it. Honestly, fair.

9ted6

Educated
interviews with people who either suffered under the East German Stasi (Ministerium für Staatssicherheit – Ministry for State Security) or worked within it – sometimes both. I started reading it shortly after watching the 2006 film The Lives Of Others / Das Leben Der Anderen) and found it fascinating.
Flying a little too close to the sun there Josh.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wh...bsidian-vet-and-pentiment-creator-josh-sawyer

Hello reader who is also a reader, and welcome back to Booked For The Week - our regular Sunday chat with a selection of cool industry folks about books! Did you know that the word 'book' was originally spelled with several extra 'o's in it? This was changed when it was collectively decided that telling someone to "please, just read a book" was resulting in several more murders a year than anyone could be bothered to keep track of. This week, it’s Obsidian vet and Pentiment creator Josh Sawyer! Cheers Josh! Mind if we have a nose at your bookshelf?

Uncommon Prayer by Kimberly Johnson. It’s a book of poetry about desire, much of it framed by the concepts of the Liturgy of the Hours and other temporal structures. It’s quite beautiful and moving and feels like a good chaser to Pentiment.
What did you last read?
Stasiland: Stories From Behind The Berlin Wall by Anna Funder.Funder lived in Berlin after the fall of the wall and she conducted interviews with people who either suffered under the East German Stasi (Ministerium für Staatssicherheit – Ministry for State Security) or worked within it – sometimes both. I started reading it shortly after watching the 2006 film The Lives Of Others / Das Leben Der Anderen) and found it fascinating.
I’m going to take another run at Im Westen Nichts Neues (All Quiet On The Western Front) by Erich Maria Remarque. I watched the German film adaptation last year and resolved to read it, but my German language skills were in better shape back then, so I think it’s going to be a hard start.
Probably The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco. It was hugely influential on Pentiment and has some great passages in it. Stat rosa pristina nominee; nomina nuda tenemus ['the ancient Rose remains by its name, naked names (are all that) we have'].
Well, it seems Mr. Sawyer can craft a stunningly well-written and fascinating murder mystery, but when it comes to this column’s secret goal of naming every book in existence, he’s just as useless as anyone else. Thus, history repeats itself, and we’re doomed to do the whole thing again next week. As a bonus reader game: I’ve almost run out of cool industry person responses from my first round of answer harvesting. Anyone you’d especially like to see in the column? Let me know, and catch you next week. And remember: No use crying over dropped bookmarks. Just fold the corner of the pages like I used to until someone literally broke up with me over it. Honestly, fair.

gdammit this little sissy wants to be a German so bad

and the worst thing is he'd fit right in :bunkertime:

Beastro

Arcane

What did you last read?

He is German by ancestry. People can roll their eyes over that all they want, but it stays with people down the generations.

The worst past is his obsession with post-modern crap, imo.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

What did you last read?

He is German by ancestry. People can roll their eyes over that all they want, but it stays with people down the generations.

I'm half Greek, but I've never LARPed a Greek person like Sawyer does with Germans.

I bet he has these J.D. Dorian dream sequences running through his head involving beer and bratwurst and Oktoberfest wenches

Beastro

Arcane

What did you last read?

I'm half Greek, but I've never LARPed a Greek person like Sawyer does with Germans.

I bet he has this J.D. Dorian dream sequences running through his head involving beer and bratwurst and Oktoberfest wenches
He's definitely an overt Teutophile, but his whole subdued, dry temperament is very German and that wouldn't change if his interests were different.

My brother's and I are half-German with a good few generations separated from the fatherland and I see the German temperament even in my oldest brother who doesn't give a damn about his ancestry. A colleague of mine who spent a good chunk of her life in Switzerland and Bavaria when younger once pointed out how very German I am to her even though she sees much of my temperament as being German when I see it as more the sangfroid British side of me given how pronounced the latter was maintained in my family culture compared to the former.

These are things that are not consciously carried on even though many try to.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Improper evaluation of risk gets you Knights of the Old Republic 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol.

deuxhero

Arcane
KotOR2's making every cutscenes possible take place on the Ebon Hawk actually was a risk evaluation thing: Making cutscenes take place on one map that's unlikely to change (since it was ported from the last game) is low risk compared to the many ways cutscenes in that engine can (and do) fuck up if you try to get complicated in an unknown environment.

S.torch

Arbiter
If 1% of this "risk evaluation" went to actually creating and working maybe they could make a good game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom