Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi, Devil Whiskey and more available in new Indie Bundle!

Petrell

Educated
GamersGate offers 6 indie games in it's new Indie Fort Bundle for $5.99 / €4.99 / £3.99

You can pay more and all extra you pay goes directly to the developers of these games (and helps unlock the extras ;))!

GamersGate has teamed up with a group of supremely talented developers to create the Indie Fort Bundle – 6 great games at the price of less than one! Not only that, but we’ve made it possible for you to show your support – if you pay more than the minimum $5.99 (or €4.99 or £3.99) price, then all of the extra money goes straight to the devs!
When a certain amount of money has been generated for the devs, we’ll be unlocking bonus content! Make sure to give as much as you can to get hold of everything from soundtracks & artwork to the devs next games!
If you want to chat or have any questions, let us know via @alexpoysky (the indie pr guru himself!) or @gamersgate (that's us!)
Now help secure some amazing future games, while getting a few to keep you busy while you wait ;)

Games included in the bundle:
Kenshi (Alpha)
Cardinal Quest
Black Market
Wanderlust: Rebirth
Devil Whiskey
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution (Indiefort Bundle)

The more you give, the more goodies are included in the bundle!
Puckbang (arcade game) - when 1337 bundles have been sold
Cardinal Quest Soundtrack - when 9000$ in sales is reached
Devil Whiskey Soundtrack - when 25000$ in sales is reached
shhh... it's a secret! - when 50000$ in sales is reached
Rambros (in development) - when 100000$ in sales is reached
Developer thank you video - when 20000$ in sales is reached
Mordor v1.1, The Grim (in development) - when 50000 bundles have been sold

Petrell

Educated
Kenshi, Cardinal Quest, Black Market and Devil Whiskey look pretty interesting, but I haven't heard much about any of them (apart from Devil Whiskey). Anyone tried them?

Well, I've been playing Devil Whiskey (I got it and Cardinal Quest from a contest earlier but I also already bought above bundle to have them in once place) for week and I'm having fun.

It's very old school and requires you to both read the manual and keep it open at all times to remember what the hell all those skills, spells and bard songs do. I've yet to figure out how to check items stats (e(x)amine gives only description) and have downloaded and printed equiplent list to try to figure how best to equip my team (max 8, can also summon or hire monsters to free slots).

There's shit ton of random encounters (every move you make, even turning, can cause random encounter) and pretty much anything kills you at first. I don't know how large the world is outside the intial town. I walked long time (one direction) and did not encounter border (or anything else but random encounters) before dying. I hope I can find directions if I have to venture outside town.

Petrell

Educated
Cardinal Quest Soundtrack and Puckbang been unlocked so far. About 2000$ more to go for "Developer Thank You" video and about 7000$ to go for Devil Whiskey Soundtrack.

Here's some videos of the games included in the bundle (none for Devil Whiskey unfortunately):

Let's plays:
Let's Play Kenshi
Let's Play Black Market
Let's Play Wanderlust Rebirth

Christonian's Indie Showcases:
Cardinal Quest: The Fighter Edition
Cardinal Quest: The Wizard Edition
Cardinal Quest: The Thief Edition
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
Kenshi

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for the link, I really wanted to try Devil Whiskey
Kenshi, Cardinal Quest, Black Market and Devil Whiskey look pretty interesting, but I haven't heard much about any of them (apart from Devil Whiskey). Anyone tried them?

I walked long time (one direction) and did not encounter border (or anything else but random encounters) before dying.
That sounds kind of Sinister. Thanks for the review, as I heard of the game but probably wouldn't go and get it if it weren't on sale. If it's anything like the Bard's Tale, I'll take it as is. Wonder if you can change the random encounter frequency, though.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
With Gamersgate, you can circumvent their authenticator. All you need to do is to login once, then when the installer becomes unencrypted, you copy and paste it into a separate directory. After that, you're free to install the game whenever, wherever, without having to login again. That is only if the game doesn't have 3rd party DRM like SecuROM or TAGES tacked on.

roll-a-die

Magister
Give Kenshi a miss until it gets to the point where it's actuallly playable, it has the absolute WORST, WORST camera I have ever experienced. I could tolerate NWN2's camera, Kenshi's is worse than that.

Of the games
Cardinal Quest is Dredmore/A graphical roguelike done right. It just feels better to play than Dredmore.
Devil Wiskey seems interesting would have preferred Demise Ascension to be in the pack though, like the rumors had originally stated.
Black Market is awesome, it's basically a space trading game cut down to it's basest elements. It has just enough gameplay to keep it from getting boring. I've been playing the shit out of it.
Wanderlust is a pretty good JRPG styled game. But suffers from the fact that it's structured like a JRPG.
Haven't tried steel storm.

Petrell

Educated
Is this related to David Allen's Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol?

I asked about it from Decklin and he confirmed that the Mordor bonus in the bundle is Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol. Apparently Decklin originally suggested lower threshold for it (as it's an old game) but GG decided to bundle it with The Grim, a different new game in development from one of the other devs in the bundle.

Now I get it - it's Mordor v1.1 AND The Grim. Thanks!

50 000 copies is indeed a bit too high for it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Ah well, purchased the pack with as meagre an extra for the developers as my tight, tight student budget and conscience will allow. Seems worth it for Devil Whiskey, if nothing else, and Kenshi looks too damn interesting - if possibly really disappointing - to ignore.

Stabwound

Arcane
It's bizarre seeing Mordor being released commercially again.

A pretty great little dungeon crawler, and superior to the sequel, Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan. I wonder if they've modified it to make it work with modern systems? It was built around Windows 3.1 (if I remember right) and simply will not load on 64 bit operating systems, which most likely includes any modern computer that has Windows 7.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Black Market is awesome, it's basically a space trading game cut down to it's basest elements. It has just enough gameplay to keep it from getting boring. I've been playing the shit out of it.
Wanderlust is a pretty good JRPG styled game. But suffers from the fact that it's structured like a JRPG.

I approve of those brief reviews and of the entire bundle. I will take up the torch and continue with the hivemind reviews...
Cardinal Quest
Meh... another roguelike
Kenshin (alpha)
By far the most promising of these games. Similar to Mount & Blade, but it has no separate battle map. Hire, equip, train, and maintain a warband of samurai in an apocalyptic desert setting. Very soon a 'total pathfinding overhaul' will be released. Totally worth a look.
Devil Whiskey
Can't say much about this as I haven't played it much. I remember the demo was challenging. This type of game should not be new to anyone at the Codex. This is a 'sequel' to Mordor1/2!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FUCK ALL YOU CUNTS

THANKS TO YOU I BOUGHT ANOTHER PACK OF WORTHLESS INDIE SHIT I WILL NEVER PLAY

LOLLOLOL JOKING BROS DEVIL WHISKEY LOOKED INTERESTING WHAT THEY HELL I BOUGHT MOUNT AND BLADE AND THIS SHIT AND MM7 THIS WEEK I GUESS IL SKIP ENERGU DRINKS FOR A FEW DAYS

Petrell

Educated
It's bizarre seeing Mordor being released commercially again.

A pretty great little dungeon crawler, and superior to the sequel, Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan. I wonder if they've modified it to make it work with modern systems? It was built around Windows 3.1 (if I remember right) and simply will not load on 64 bit operating systems, which most likely includes any modern computer that has Windows 7.

I'd assume he's working on it. When I asked if inclusion in bundle means it's coming to GG he said "If the Mordor install works ok it will be on GG". Can't see anyone releasing game that no one can get to work. But then again, it's probably moot point as bundle probably won't even reach 10000 let alone 50000 units sold. The "shhh... it's a secret!" got to be pretty awesome for it to make meaningfull dent to sales.

Current statistics: 4240 units sold, $35549.60 generated, $14450.4 more to unlock unlock "shhh... it's a secret!" with three and half day to go.

Mortmal

Arcane
Oh ? a yoko tsuno avatar , i diddnt know it was popular in non francophone countries.
Now about the bundle i can say devil's whiskey is worthy but i am pretty sure everyone interested in bard's tale clones have played it already. Really good 2D art , the best in the genre, but really unbalanced and too easy . You gain levels so fast you cant even afford training the skills.

aleph

Arcane
almost missed that deal. Installing Devil Whiskey right now. I guess there go my hours of sleep for this night

Petrell

Educated
Oh ? a yoko tsuno avatar , i diddnt know it was popular in non francophone countries.

Don't know how popular it is but latest release, Yoko Tsuno Vol. 19: The Servant of Lucifer (translated from original name, from finnish name used it would translate to "The devil's handmaiden"), was pretty much sold out in few months despite being hardcover and thus over 50% more expensive than previous volumes. Fortunately I managed to aquire a copy despite being late in finding out that it was released.

As for me, I've been fan of hers for more than 20 years now (first releases were made in 70's but 1st volume of the currently produced series was probably released around late 80's or early 90's) and have all 19 volumes as well as 1 volume and one comic magazine release from 70's. I also just ordered first 4 volumes of the english version (2 of which haven't been released in finnish yet) It's been damn slow going with only one volume a year or so. It's my one of if not the favorite of all time.

Now about the bundle i can say devil's whiskey is worthy but i am pretty sure everyone interested in bard's tale clones have played it already. Really good 2D art , the best in the genre, but really unbalanced and too easy . You gain levels so fast you cant even afford training the skills.

Well, it's different from most RPG's at least but very hard (more RTFM and keep it handy than anything but most don't bother these days) and very grindy. I'm sure that Legend Of Grimrock coming out tomorrow is far more approachable for most and it's cheaper than DW's normal price.

It's going to cut close on "shhh... it's a secret!" unlock. Only 27 hours remain we're still over 7000$ from the unlock threshold. Still hoping we'll make it and that the bonus is worth it. But what ever happens, I'm sure keep my eyes for next Indie Fort Bundle.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yoko Tsuno is great but the last albums were too heavu on the sci-fi and light on character development. It was disapointing, especially when comparing those episodes with great ones like La Fille du Vent.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I think Kenshi sounds very promising. But also very ambitious. From what I gather it's basically just a single guy working on it (hey, Armağan at least had his wife ;)), which makes me think it'll be a while until the game actually gets into a stage at which it'll be somewhat feature complete and enjoyable to the player.

Will keep an eye on that one especially though.

Petrell

Educated
Any steam keys for those titles?

It's GamersGate store promo so only GG games. Also only Cardinal Quest is multiplatform (Win, Mac & Linux). Others are Windows only.

Yoko Tsuno is great but the last albums were too heavu on the sci-fi and light on character development. It was disapointing, especially when comparing those episodes with great ones like La Fille du Vent.

Well I actually have liked all Sci-fi episodes and there is character development as characters from previous episodes make appearance and refer to past events (and I rather have her stay strong, independant and single for whole series rather than see any romantic development, unless it's between Yoko and Khany :D). When I get the four english volumes I ordered, I'll still be missing 4 out of 25 listed albums. Is the series still ongoing in belgium? If not, is there some sort of ending/comlusion to the series (I most worried that series does not get proper closure. I've think "Queen of Vinea" would be best ending where bickering Vinean factions elect Yoko Tsuno as their ruler.).

Funny thing is, it seems only 7 albums have been translated to english it seems where as 22 has been published in finnish (18. not 19. in current publishing series, "La forge de Vulcain", "Aventures electroniques" and "Message pour l'eternite" in Nonstop/Ruutu magazines and "La frontiere de la vie" as Nonstop album). "La spirale de temps", "La proie et l'ombre" and "Le feu de Wotan" have not yet been translated to finnish unfortunately and volumes published in nonstop/ruutu need to be reprinted. Buying the three volumes published in Nonstop/Ruutu magazines would be expensive as heck.

Here's a list of Yoko Tsuno albums published in finland.

Little heads up on the bundle: GamersGate decided to extent the timer by three days so the two people who want it and haven't bought it can still make it. ;):p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom