Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Beastro

Arcane
I looked it up, seems only Armour King can drop em.

Beastro

Arcane
WTF are dustcoats sold? I wanna visit Black Desert but after almost a dozen cities no damn dustcoats. Least I got the ash hat.
I found one dustcoat sold at the Mongrel armor shop with acid resistance of 80%.

I made ue with only a Ash hat. Worked ok until I caught some damage leaving BDC.

BDC has a ton of shit to steal for high lv thieves. Even if you're not you can run around the Scrapehouse and have your sneaking shoot up everytime you pass the mass of guards.

Been stalled trying to get on of my bot guys, it's stuck in a tower cage with a bunch of other robots around, I'll have to fight my way in, so gonna grab the other bot I was looking for and deck my guys out in robot damage weps and shit.

It's really annoying getting new guys when my guys athletics is so high, wish there was a way to set you guys to run at the same pace. My guy goes crazy fast even sneaking now, his stealth is up int the 80s and is practically invisible next to ppl at night making the Scraphouse thieving possible.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
SpP8eHX.jpg

PrettyDeadman

WTF are dustcoats sold? I wanna visit Black Desert but after almost a dozen cities no damn dustcoats. Least I got the ash hat.
Armor King oftenly sells them (both black and brown). I've also seen brown dustcoat sold in southern parts of the map, I think it was in Mourn.

Beastro

Arcane
Armor King oftenly sells them (both black and brown). I've also seen brown dustcoat sold in southern parts of the map, I think it was in Mourn.

Yeah I picked up another bot dude and sent him to my base in the East through the Wend and grabbed a few.

Zanzoken

Arcane
It's really annoying getting new guys when my guys athletics is so high, wish there was a way to set you guys to run at the same pace.

There is a setting for this, on the movement speed toggle. The settings are walk, jog, run, and then the fourth one matches speed to the slowest person in the group. You can see the icon in the screenshot a couple posts up.

PrettyDeadman

CheatEngine speedhack is pretty useful here.
I wish they had 5xx or larger settings for speed in-game.

vazha

Arcane
Gentlemen can you realistically roleplay some sort of a post apocalyptic Conan in this? like a solo, formidable warrior with a greatsword or greataxe. Can you get merc contracts and some sort of a military career as opposed to base building and so on?

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
vazha solo is possible (though hard/almost impossible with some enemies), and there's plenty of mighty 2H weapons. You can can even start as a slave and use that to boost your STR (like Conan did in the movie). You can also be a bounty hunter, contracts are usually distributed by vendors - they tell you who to kill, the bounty and faction that will pay you.

Plus the game supports mods, so you can expand those areas further.

Magitex

Educated
Gentlemen can you realistically roleplay some sort of a post apocalyptic Conan in this? like a solo, formidable warrior with a greatsword or greataxe. Can you get merc contracts and some sort of a military career as opposed to base building and so on?
I think there are very few games that can simulate being Conan better than Kenshi. Even Conan Exiles falls short of its own legacy.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Short answer: I endorse this game.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Yeah although you'll have to be extra careful. Having just one teammate to save you from bleeding out to death in the desert after being wounded in a lost fight is a huge advantage over soloing. So I guess some sneaky medic/support character will always be handy.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Havent tried contracts yet. Does they tell you where the target is on the map, or give you some general directions?

Thanks for advice regarding burglary. My guy has 20 lockpick already, around 50 stealth and I'm clearing shops all nights long, while my other dudes are training sneak while carrying others. In a few days time I should have few trained fellas, a lot of cats and pretty good equipment to venture forth.

Tovias

Learned
I got around 600 on this game by now and have yet to tire out. Kenshi does so many things rights that it makes me wonder if a sequel could deliver the same.
Pretty disappointed that the devs decided to drop adding any more features to the game, I understand that the engine was on its limits at this point but it still hurts me to think we will never see egg hatching or mounts. Thankfully the modding community is delivering some interesting content.
6JwcNZG.jpg
This feeling of progression never fails to make me smile.

Tovias

Learned
vazha solo is possible (though hard/almost impossible with some enemies), and there's plenty of mighty 2H weapons. You can can even start as a slave and use that to boost your STR (like Conan did in the movie). You can also be a bounty hunter, contracts are usually distributed by vendors - they tell you who to kill, the bounty and faction that will pay you.

Is that really how bounties works? Pretty sure the wanted posters simply tell you a bit about your target and is completely up to you to find the guy. Some are easy like the Dust King but there is bounties that I've never seen in my time playing the game.
Keep in mind that while everyone loves Conan's love for light armor, you might want to level up your thoughtness, dextery and defense a lot before going around buttcheeks out.
This can help
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507418937&searchtext=

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Is that really how bounties works? Pretty sure the wanted posters simply tell you a bit about your target and is completely up to you to find the guy.
I don't think i said contract tells you any specifics. IIRC contracts gives you a name of the target, their faction, price for their head and who'll pay that price.

Tovias

Learned
Is that really how bounties works? Pretty sure the wanted posters simply tell you a bit about your target and is completely up to you to find the guy.
I don't think i said contract tells you any specifics. IIRC contracts gives you a name of the target, their faction, price for their head and who'll pay that price.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant it would give you an objective. They are more like wanted posters than contracts. I wish they could at least make them more accurate, sometimes I feel like a lot of those wanted characters don't exist but I've found some so I can't really rule them out.

Beastro

Arcane
There is a setting for this, on the movement speed toggle. The settings are walk, jog, run, and then the fourth one matches speed to the slowest person in the group. You can see the icon in the screenshot a couple posts up.

Thanks, man. Was wondering what that setting did.

Way the game works, slavery attunes you more towards the thievery aspects as you break out of your cage at night, sneak around and try to pickpocket/KO the guards.

You'd think the labour would increase STR, but it doesn't. That is mostly handled through hauling shittons in your inventory, and again, the easiest way to do that is robbing armour/wep shops and hauling the shit back to the thieves guild.

CheatEngine speedhack is pretty useful here.
I wish they had 5xx or larger settings for speed in-game.

Once you get 70+ athletics it doesn't become as much of a problem, even sneaking.

That's what my main guy's at. I sent him off from Heng to Heft to rob the general store own of his shop bag (which is GIANT), then fiddled with my robot guys training for a minute only to realize my main dude was already half way to Heft when I expected him to take at least 5 minutes or so. By that time the only difficulty is terrain that makes things not look as the crow flies.

By that time, too, sneaking makes your guy practically invisible unless around high lv mobs or very large crowds. It synergizes to always sneak when travelling both for saftey and to work the skill up. It's tempting not to, but at low levels just sneaking with no one around makes it go up at a constant pace, plus it can help in spots, like when a new recruit had a bunch of desert bugs walk right over him, but was saved due to the 20 sneak he'd gained on the trip plus it being night.

Pretty sure the wanted posters simply tell you a bit about your target and is completely up to you to find the guy. Some are easy like the Dust King but there is bounties that I've never seen in my time playing the game.

I like it. I think objective quests are too overdone now and expected, like you expect the game togive you a nod before you look into something, while this way is both more realistic and "open" leaving it up to you to figure out and act upon.

It can lead to odd things, like stalking town guards fighting bandits outside of a town and then grabbing the bandit leader to bring back for a bounty after they did all the work.

Keep in mind that while everyone loves Conan's love for light armor, you might want to level up your thoughtness, dextery and defense a lot before going around buttcheeks out.

I like that the game echoes the good parts of old MMOs in certain ways. People have mentioned the similarity of it to UO, but it also has that unforgiving side like early EQ where you really have to specialize to be someone like a solo Conan warrior type, which will pretty much only be you kiting people with a crossbow and not taking on a whole company of people in melee.

Combat is odd. I do like that it isn't a simple steam roll with numbers like Mount and Blade can often feel like. Like there's hesitation and room to disengage in combat, but at the same time I don't like how hard it is to kill people at times. Makes me wish there was a "Finish Off" command with KOed people that would prevent large battles from dragging on as people come in and out of consciousness to fight a bit more and only to get KOed again. It's worse when one side clearly wins, but the other doesn't die, leading to days of the same crap happening over and over again, like you can see outside any town after bandits attack it.

I ran into that with a caravan attacked by ninjas that I chose to help. It was a close run fight I wasn't sure we'd win, but eventually we did only for it to then go on as each side did the above. I wound up grabbing med kits from the enemy and healing our KOed ppl to help turn the balance... not something I'd like to think is crucial in a set piece battle.

It left me with the lesson learned to loot crucial enemy gear from KOed enemies in order to help weaken them for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc rounds in big battles, though, especially med kits.

That save bug is REALLY pissing me off. I'm not losing tons of stuff from it, since I'm constantly quicksaving ever few minutes to test if the bug hits, but it can be such an aggravant. I got my guy back from the shop backpack haul and just wanted to sell some crap at the thieves guild and tidy up before going to bed only for it to hit. reloaded, got him back again and again, couldn't save. Third time I got in and saved right away to realize the bug wasn't going away and I'd have to verify cache to fix it, so I just left the comp to do that while I prepped for bed leaving things as they were. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't Steam almost 10minutes to verify the cache.

Last edited:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Way the game works, slavery attunes you more towards the thievery aspects as you break out of your cage at night, sneak around and try to pickpocket/KO the guards.

You'd think the labour would increase STR, but it doesn't. That is mostly handled through hauling shittons in your inventory, and again, the easiest way to do that is robbing armour/wep shops and hauling the shit back to the thieves guild.
True but you can store a ton of shackles in your inventory and thus gain STR fast, for slavers will supply you with a new pair if you take the ones you just unlocked off and put them in the general inventory.

Tovias

Learned
Slavery is real good for thoughness, just hope you don't lose a limb or two, then again, some might call that a blessing.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I don't like how hard it is to kill people at times. Makes me wish there was a "Finish Off" command with KOed people that would prevent large battles from dragging on as people come in and out of consciousness to fight a bit more and only to get KOed again.
Problem is, if you give the player that ability then you also have to give it to enemies, which removes the key element of the game where taking an asskicking is the key to growth.

But if you want to make the fights more lethal, you can import a save and increase the "Chance of Death" slider, which I believe causes people to bleed out much faster.

That save bug is REALLY pissing me off. I'm not losing tons of stuff from it, since I'm constantly quicksaving ever few minutes to test if the bug hits, but it can be such an aggravant. I got my guy back from the shop backpack haul and just wanted to sell some crap at the thieves guild and tidy up before going to bed only for it to hit. reloaded, got him back again and again, couldn't save. Third time I got in and saved right away to realize the bug wasn't going away and I'd have to verify cache to fix it, so I just left the comp to do that while I prepped for bed leaving things as they were. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't Steam almost 10minutes to verify the cache.

This is a weird bug. You probably already have, but I would make sure you are importing your save every time there is a patch (they've been pushing one every day or two since release), and if that doesn't work, do a fresh install.

Otherwise I guess you'll just have to report it to the dev as a bug. From what I can tell they are good with providing support.

Beastro

Arcane
Problem is, if you give the player that ability then you also have to give it to enemies, which removes the key element of the game where taking an asskicking is the key to growth.

But if you want to make the fights more lethal, you can import a save and increase the "Chance of Death" slider, which I believe causes people to bleed out much faster.

This is a weird bug. You probably already have, but I would make sure you are importing your save every time there is a patch (they've been pushing one every day or two since release), and if that doesn't work, do a fresh install.

Otherwise I guess you'll just have to report it to the dev as a bug. From what I can tell they are good with providing support.

I forgot about the sliders. I ignored them not wanting to screw with anything for my first game.

Did a fresh install and posted my logs on the LoFi boards. I'm hesitant to import yet given what I'd lose.... but I just took a look at what importing does. I'll give it a go in a min.

Deleted Member 16721

So should I play this or ATOM RPG, that is the question...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom