Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In before Todd Howard mountain quote.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Kenshi becomes considerably less fun once you level up past the point that legitimately terrifying enemies like cannibals, fogmen, and beak things are no longer a threat to your party.

Like I understand that progression is fundamental to RPGs and your characters should experience growth. And there is also a certain satisfaction that comes with losing to something and then going back later and kicking its ass.

But what if terrifying monsters were always terrifying, even at max level? That would make things really interesting.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Kenshi becomes considerably less fun once you level up past the point that legitimately terrifying enemies like cannibals, fogmen, and beak things are no longer a threat to your party.

Like I understand that progression is fundamental to RPGs and your characters should experience growth. And there is also a certain satisfaction that comes with losing to something and then going back later and kicking its ass.

But what if terrifying monsters were always terrifying, even at max level? That would make things really interesting.

Go to Leviathan coast and have some fun :D

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Fight Cat-Lon alone. One on one. Using a fucking Katana.

As an aside, playing with Living World, More Plate, and Let's Talk.

I think next game i start over, I'd like to start as a member of the Southern Hive, becoming some horrific Eyegore-like warlord or something similar. Is there a good mod compatible with Living World that adds more races to play as?

gogis

Scholar

You still have skin bandits and all boss characters who will wipe weak (< ~70 in combat stats, depending on your raid size) party

Then you have mods like "Stronger Group Combat" and various "X group overhaul"

Obviously, when you have fully cyborg party of elite athletes with top notch weapons and exorbitant stats you invincible, but ... this is sandbox game after all

DECLARATIVE PROLOGUE.
The team have been hugely busy this month working on a ‘vertical slice’ of Kenshi 2, which I have the pleasure of sharing snippets of today.

4.jpg

For those unaware of the terminology, a vertical slice is a portion of near-finished quality game which then allows a studio to visualise some of what they’re up to. It’s traditionally distinct from a prototype in that the quality is much higher leaving less room for flexibility but for us we’re blurring that line a bit and using it primarily as a tangible design tool. Internally nicknamed ‘Concrete Neon’, it’s about having a space to test and iterate on some of Kenshi 2’s ideas by taking them away from a design document and experiencing how they might actually be played.

5.jpg

Sharing some thoughts on our first major milestone, Chris compares Concrete Neon to founding Kenshi’s Holy Nation and his hands on approach to game design: “Anyone who played the [Kenshi 1 early access] map in it’s earliest incarnation will remember that only a small area around the holy nation was active, the rest was greyed-out and you couldn’t go there, because it wasn’t finished. This gives us a test bed to get everything working early on so we can play the game and experiment. I’m not a very formal designer, my technique is iterative because my ‘special skill’ is playing a game for a while and then going “hunger needs to be 0.8x slower and strength needs to raise 1.12x faster instead of 1.08x”. It’s also better that way because I can approach the design as a player rather than as a game designer. I don’t like game designers.”
https://lofigames.com/july-community-update/
Last month's community update is here. There's more info about new team members and fixes to Kenshi 1, but I figured I'd just quote the interesting part.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Those screenshots look really good!

The main thing I hope for in Kenshi 2 is more C&C / reactivity. I know they don't want to design quests, which is fine, but if you aren't going to do quests then you have to come up with other ways for the player to interact with the world, and for the game to acknowledge the player's progress. Also, the world should feel like it is living and breathing on its own, independent of the player, with NPCs who are pursuing their own interests just like the player is, which will inevitably lead to conflict.

The first Kenshi doesn't really do much on its own, and is also quite limited in how it responds to the player, so it just feels incredibly static. Hopefully they'll come up with clever ways to improve that in the next game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, Kenshi's greatest weakness is the limited amount of interactivity with the existing factions, all of which should expand or decline organically as a result of the actions of the player. There are mods that attempt to fix this issue, but the most they can accomplish is to increase the amount of scripted world changes in response to certain triggering events, rather than introduce game mechanics that would determine factional influence, city prosperity, population changes, and so forth.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SO GLAD I GOT THIS FROM SOME FAGGOT GAMERSGATE BUNDLE A MILLION YEARS AGO

EVRY ONCE IN A WHILE I PLAY IT AND ITS DEFINITELY UNIQUE AND FUN

FriendlyMerchant

I think I just sinked 12h non-stop into this

I'll definitively die alone but what the hell, what a game. What a game
You don't have to die alone when you can recruit a bunch of shek females, unlock the slider values, and turn up all the important sliders to 500.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I found Burn, and I think I remember reading a post here (toro if I am not mistaken) saying that his stats don't fit the story, and I tend to agree.

All the other companions, with Beep being the crown jewel, so far make sense and blend in well with their stats within the world, but Burn seems to be have been some sort of left-over thought. So far, one of the very few complaints about the game, really.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I found Burn, and I think I remember reading a post here (toro if I am not mistaken) saying that his stats don't fit the story, and I tend to agree.

All the other companions, with Beep being the crown jewel, so far make sense and blend in well with their stats within the world, but Burn seems to be have been some sort of left-over thought. So far, one of the very few complaints about the game, really.

Agnu has 50 STR. Real Burn lives in a tower and has normal stats.

Edit: You probably encountered a skeleton drifter named Burn because of random name gen.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone tried Genesis? I normally don't go for overhauls, but I just dominated a most vanilla playthrough of the game (living world, squad increase, and a mod to make warrior drones slightly less useless) after 180 hours of timesink and the game calls to me still, but I'm feeling really lazy about trying to find individual mods to make things more interesting.

polo

Magister
Anyone tried Genesis? I normally don't go for overhauls, but I just dominated a most vanilla playthrough of the game (living world, squad increase, and a mod to make warrior drones slightly less useless) after 180 hours of timesink and the game calls to me still, but I'm feeling really lazy about trying to find individual mods to make things more interesting.
Just heard of this, its tagged by the modders as an exploration mod, since its alpha, they do not recommend yet a full playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom