Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

FriendlyMerchant

While you can debate about the benefits of hunter-gatherer lifestyle vs agricultural one, in any face to face conflict historically, farmers absolutely destroyed hunters. This is mostly due to 2 factors:

1. Population size - farming can support many degrees of magnitude larger population than hunting/gathering, which obviously leads to more soldiers, more resources, more technology, etc.

2. Specialization - because farming is so bountiful, a small portion of the populace can support everyone, leaving everyone else to pursue more specialized roles conducive to societal power: dedicated military, governmental bureaucracy, scholars and scientists, etc.
Too bad the funniest part is that Agriculturalists were always inevitably conquered by pastoralists as the ruling classes continued in their pastoral tradition by fighting on horseback and raising cattle while their subjects ate gruel.

I'm scratching my head thinking of alternative ways to make the game more challenging (without more grind).

Well, you could make a torso start in a middle of acid lake and die. :M
Torso starts are a meme, it just means you have to spend an ungodly amount of time grinding in the beginning. Later on it becomes even easier than a normal game, as prosthetic limbs are superior.

A one arm playthrough with no prosthetics could be interesting, though.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Community Spotlight Video #3 & Advent Calendar Treats

Hello there, Kenshi fans! We hope the holiday season has been treating you well so far! Temperatures over here in the UK have dropped faster than our health in acid rain, does anyone know how well crab shoes hold up in the snow?

Before this year comes to an end, we wanted to share another Community Spotlight video, and let you know about our advent calendar!

Community Spotlight #3We are constantly blown away by the artists, modders and virtual photographers among the community and what they share with us. Here’s another round-up of what we’ve shared recently!

25 Days of Kenshi Facts and Trivia

We’re a little way into our advent calendar of daily Kenshi trivia and wallpaper giveaways. If you’ve not had the chance to have a look then head over to one of our social media website profile type thingymawotsits. If you don’t have Myspace then I guess we might be able to compile them into a post in the new year, if you behave yourselves.

We have some pretty cool people working on Kenshi 2!

Kenshi turned 4 on Tuesday 6th December, 2022!

We know a lot of veterans of the game have been playing earlier incarnations of Kenshi for much longer than that, with March 20th 2013 being the first release of Kenshi on Steam Early Access. But the official Steam release wasn’t until 6th December 2018, so we’d like to raise a glass to commemorate Kenshi’s fourth real birthday, and to say thank you to all those that have been with us before and after Kenshi 1.0.
We would love to hear in the comments what your favourite memories of Kenshi have been over the last 4 years.

Be sure you’re following us on our social media channels to see what we share over the next few weeks! That’s all from us for now folks! We wish everyone a wonderful holiday period and we look forward to seeing you all again in the new year!

Kruyurk

Learned

jungl

Augur
this game would of been better if u can give yourself goals like battle bros but also choose their difficulty. Like explore 3 new places HARD. You'll more likely to encounter enemy patrols but at the end you get a chest that spawns with loot or the enemies themselves carry stuff. Too bad its such a shell of a game.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Kenshi-2.jpg

I just realised why this concept art always reminded me of Morrowind

2fozscybbym51.jpg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the living world mod able to be downloaded on a platform that's not Steam?

EDIT: And any thoughts on the Universal Wasteland Expansion Mod? Worth using or?

Perkel

Arcane
back to playing kenshi. vanilla only.

Everytime scorching earth hits while traveling around this world makes game fucking special. I heard they hiring for Kenshi 2 translation so maybe it is much closer to release that I thought. Usually translation is done at the end of production.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
What are some of the best zones to settle in, especially towards the late game. Big points for an aesthetically pleasing location/zone.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I heard they hiring for Kenshi 2 translation so maybe it is much closer to release that I thought. Usually translation is done at the end of production.

I doubt Kenshi 2 will outdo the original.

It has weaker modding support as well.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are some of the best zones to settle in, especially towards the late game. Big points for an aesthetically pleasing location/zone.
In my opinion, Vain is ideal. The rain being red has no gameplay consequences. Beak Things attacking means constant fresh meat. Just be a bit careful while you build the initial walls.

Ironmonk

Augur
Imho SHEM is the best... its a beautiful place and centralized on the world map.

iirc there is beak things attacks to replenish meat, less faction attacks (= annoyance) to manage, etc.

Besides, if you have a few houses on cities to do low level production/research, by the time you hit late game, you will probably have hydroponics researched and with it, you can discard fertility from your base requirements.

Perkel

Arcane
I heard they hiring for Kenshi 2 translation so maybe it is much closer to release that I thought. Usually translation is done at the end of production.

I doubt Kenshi 2 will outdo the original.

It has weaker modding support as well.

Yes. UE5 is hard to mod but Kenshi doesn't really need any mods. ATM i am playing kenshi with only dark UI mod and nothing else.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Imho SHEM is the best... its a beautiful place and centralized on the world map.
Yes, in my one playthrough of Kenshi, I found a good spot in eastern Shem for copper, iron, and wind. The arid environment would have limited the type of crops that could be produced, but I had already researched up to hydroponics, so it wasn't an issue for me. Also, Shem has an ample water supply, and the Venge is an effective eastern boundary.

HCdFrPb.jpg

ZKj5Jcf.jpg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
At my current point in the game, I am almost done fully researching Hydroponics and I am pretty much maxing out every research I need outside of Robotics. I don't really care about fertility, I just want a great place to make my place so I can make it look as sexy as possible. I just finished my exploring parties trek to the Leviathan Coast and the Iron Trail and they look gorgeous. I am definitely considering settling down there, but I still have so much of the land to explore. Shem seems fine but the sprawling desert doesn't really do it for me. Will have to more properly check out Vain for sure though, along with the rest of the map as I still have so much to see.

As a side note, though ships don't fit the setting at all, just from a gameplay/engine PoV, would have been very cool to see. Could also imagine perhaps some sort of a raft system which could have been utilized by a people living in some sort of keys like part of the map, reminiscent of the Kenshi 2 art that has been released.

mondblut

Arcane
At my current point in the game, I am almost done fully researching Hydroponics and I am pretty much maxing out every research I need outside of Robotics. I don't really care about fertility, I just want a great place to make my place so I can make it look as sexy as possible. I just finished my exploring parties trek to the Leviathan Coast and the Iron Trail and they look gorgeous. I am definitely considering settling down there, but I still have so much of the land to explore. Shem seems fine but the sprawling desert doesn't really do it for me. Will have to more properly check out Vain for sure though, along with the rest of the map as I still have so much to see.

Why settle in one place when you can settle in a dozen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom