Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal Space Program

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think he goes a bit overboard on complexity recently. I used to really like his LS mod, now it starts to feel to complicated and TAC-like, especially if you combine it with MKS. MKS lite is quite cool for colonization though, and I absolutely love his latest rover. Though it is quite close race between the Caribou and Buffallo from Wild Blue Industries (of the Pathfinder mod).

Data4

Arcane
I think he goes a bit overboard on complexity recently. I used to really like his LS mod, now it starts to feel to complicated and TAC-like, especially if you combine it with MKS. MKS lite is quite cool for colonization though, and I absolutely love his latest rover. Though it is quite close race between the Caribou and Buffallo from Wild Blue Industries (of the Pathfinder mod).

Yeah, I switched to the LS mod after having used TAC forever. I like that it gives you an out in that it doesn't kill your Kerbals, but renders them useless until supplies are replenished. His conceit is that they go on strike, but I treat it as if they've gone into cryosleep or something. Regarding the Wild Blue stuff, I've slowly switched to using it for my bases . I like RD's stuff, but I like how the Wild Blue mods handle inflatables. They're the actual modules rather than auxiliary pieces.

On an unrelated note, I've decided I'm going to do Remote Tech, and do it right. As of now, I have got full coverage of Kerbin, semi-coverage of Duna, and a solid link established between the two. I swear to God, I have never cussed as much as I did over the week or so it took me to build that fucking network. :lol:

Data4

Arcane
I've seen it. Don't really need it at this point. Maybe if I was still doing TAC. I run way too many mods as it is.

Hellraiser

Arcane
So I tried building an Eve Lander+Return Ship in 1.0.5. Done a design, hyperedited it into a descending trajectory and it actually worked. Hopefully modifying it to be able to attach to a tug or LKO lifter shouldn't be too difficult (I'll attach a docking port under the core heatshield)

It is now easier to get back to Low Eve Orbit from the surface, at least when looking at raw delta-v required. Launching from ~700 meters above sea level, it took me 7,2 km/s of delta-v. My lander actually had 8,7 km/s. It could possibly still do a return out of Eve orbit back to Kerbin :M, alhough I doubt it would survive. I could probably add a service module plus some experiment modules, a battery and RTG as well. Wouldn't risk it with adding a materials bay, but who knows. used the mk1 cockpit.

It was a 4 stage (mostly) asparagus launcher. First stage providing about 2,8 km/s used the power of the Vector (a vector is that new engine that's basically a single piece of the four engine cluster that's the most powerful engine in the game). Or rather it had four of them at the bottom of 3 orange tanks. They fired along with 4 aerospikes (stages 3 and 2) mounted radially at the top round the core. Once the vectors were dicthed, the return crafts Terrier core engine fired (it was stacked on top of the orange tanks).

Of course, the thing was massive. Launch mass at Eve surface was easily 120+ tons. That's still at least 60 tons less than with what it landed. The landing leg assembly, the heat-shields, the parachute structure (all ditched at return launch) added up to a lot of mass.

Landing that is the hard part now. Eve heat is a problem, but its not a Laythe aerocapture while coming in directly from Kerbin. Making the lander 100% stable on re-entry is impossible, so you go with kerbal roasting (or microwaving), that is spin the ship applying roll roll roll. This will rotate parts getting exposed outside of the heatshield array evenly distributing heat exposure and allowing parts to cool down. As long as it falls the right side prograde, it is all 'k.

What is worse though is making sure 140 tons of lander (heatshield are ditched after parachutes deploy) lands upright and doesn't tip. Or crash. At ~11m/s my strutfest landing assembly survived, although for a moment the legs bugged out and made the rocket tilt left and right before stabilising. I had 72 radial drogue chutes and 16 XL chutes slowing it down.

Things should be easier when they add that inflatable heatshield in 1.1. Personally I would just want hinges to become stock, as it would allow to hide wings and a few other vulnerable parts behind heatshield more easily.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Here's some pictures from the Hyper-Edit augmented tests. Only used it to de-orbit it and bring it closer to land after chutes opened (and not ripped off anything) at 5km above ground. Staring at a lander falling 4+ km uneventfully is boring, especially when you get ~7 fps.

One thing it is missing is ladders, this design is actually pretty ladder-friendly though. Still, considering the height and risk of faling of ladders, I think adding a helipad at the top and using RoverDude's packrat mod electric rotors to make a small electric chopper might be a safer option than climbing it.

Also turns out the whole thing is over 250 tons :M I think KER is bullshitting me.

KSPeve%2010.png~original

The beast supposedly at 252 tons(!). The lower heatshields protect the landing legs (they need to be so far apart). The upper ones protect the chutes and rest of the return-stage. That's 16 medium heatshields and 5 large heatshield total, 16 XL parachutes and 96 drogue radial chutes to make this thing land on 16 large lander legs. Or 24 legs? I forgot.

KSPeve%2011.png~original

KSPeve%2012.png~original

Applying roll to make it spin and roast evenly.

KSPeve%2013.png~original

Parachutes are strut-reinforced enough.

KSPeve%201.png~original

Landing at ~9 m/s.

KSPeve%202.png~original

Parachute assembly is ditched upon landing. 4 seperatrons per piece ensure they fly and explode at a safe distance.

KSPeve%203.png~original

The Vectors' vectoring is very useful in maintaing stability. Due to high atmo pressure the TWR here is a mere 1,15 at launch, barely enough.

KSPeve%204.png~original

Because Eve's atmo is a pea-soup, you want to get up ASAP. This is not just due to drag, but also due to atmospheric-heating from high velocity.

KSPeve%205.png~original

The drag is so bad at on Eve that stage 3 while having TWR>1 only manages to minimize velocity loss for a while rather than add more.

KSPeve%206.png~original

These nosecones are overheating, it is close.

KSPeve%207.png~original

The situation improves slightly but heat loss at this altitude is difficult and the ship needs to go faster.

KSPeve%208.png~original

Stage 2 lasts until nearly the end of the orbital circulization burn.

KSPeve%209_1.png~original

As mentioned before the remaining delta-v is possibly enough to get back to kerbin, if you can get the mk1 cockpit not to burn up on. And if it had any means of actually landing safely even if it did not burn up.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
I like airplanes and spaceplanes. I wish there was a total conversion mod for the career mode that makes them available(sort of) since the beginning by fixing the ridiculous lack of things like ladders and basic aircraft stuff in the vanilla tech tree.

Realistic Progression Zero(WIP) does it. You start with barely better than WW2 grade rocketry, props and the late 1940s turbojets in it. I'd say that as far as mods that overhaul the Career Mode and Tech Tree are concerned, it's by far the best.

xT1UgWF.jpg

The carrier is certainly "exotic" by having propellers pulling it on the wings and a single one pushing it on the tail. Canards on the X-plane just because they look cool.

FEL22iB.jpg

Time to get past the speed of sound.

IRpQCWE.jpg

Autopilot mods are essential if you don't want to lose the carrier plane when doing this kind of stuff.

Q2OobTP.jpg

The starting runway is so shitty that taking off and landing off-road is safer and easier, hopefully the ground will be flat.

iIpetY2.jpg

Mission accomplished.

*Edit: Except everyone in the carrier airplane died because it was despawned, both in "simulation" from Kerbal Construction Time and the real mission. Oops, forgot to install something else essential for anyone who wants try retrievable stages, parasite aircraft and alike.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Meanwhile I discovered that 1.0.5 is bugged as fuck.

Besides the fairings COM bug, which makes gravity turns below 30 km impossible, parachutes are bugged outside of Kerbin.

Basically before 1.0.5 there was a bug that allowed parachutes to be deployed at much higher air speed than previously. Ok so they fixed that, then it turned out that the "safe airspeed" checking formula does not take air density into consideration, making parachutes absolutely useless on Duna, as you can deploy drogue chutes there ~4 km above "sea" level. And I was wondering why my Duna lander which was tested in 1.0.4 and worked fine kept crashing and the parachutes never deployed.

This is supposedly fixed for 1.1 but it pissed me off immensely. I had to hyperedit the landing.

In other news Roverdude overhauled his USI Life Support mod which also screwed over my designs. I have no idea how mulch recycling works now in Life Support without MKS. I modded in an old 2:1 mulch to supplies converter to the big greenhouse and an ore to mulch and fertilizer converter (at abysmal rates to make it somewhat realistic, you won't find many usable soil-like minerals in space rocks).

At least Nertea of the near future mod did some changes that didn't fuck up things but made them better. Most of his medium-high thrust near future engines now use H2 and that can easily be mined with stock gear with no strings attached. Made a snazzy Best Korean Bop Miner powered with the small (Granite? its called on G-something after some rock I think. Not the stirling one) nuke reactor that can lift enough ore to refuel itself 6-8 times over. Also the nucular waste reprocesor now can also refine ore into good old enriched uranium so a sustainable Jool presence is now possible (ISRU on Jool without reactors is a pain).

Of course I blew 650k out of my 790k Best Korean Space Money on a launcher that gets only the orbital refinery, gardening, habitation and scanning Bop station. Before realising LV-Ns use liquid fuel now so I was hauling useless oxidizer during the 2km/s transfer burn to Jool. And I was wondering why the LV-N tug had such poor delta-v all of the sudden. So I had little money to actually launch the miner that will grab the ore to Jool from Bop contract worth 1 million best korean space kredits.

Also adding science labs to interplanetary cruisers is great. My Kerbonauts are waiting in Duna orbit for a transfer window back home and they're transmitting a lot of science back.

Data4

Arcane
I like Roverdude's stuff in general, but I swear to God, I'm ready to dump the LS mod. I spent two weeks meticulously laying the groundwork for and carrying out a Duna base mission. I built a RemoteTech network providing unbroken communication lines between the Duna surface and Mission control, sent out a Duna ascent vehicle and ISRU to fuel it, a storage crate containing inflatable base modules and enough LS supplies to last about 3.5 years, a rover to scout out landing zones, and on and on. I built a Duna transfer vehicle in Low Kerbin Orbit and sent it out with the crew. Once I got them to Duna, landed, and the base assembled, my next mission was to send a USI-LS greenhouse module. I set up an alarm for a transfer window in 1.2 years and everything was just great. Along came an update to Life Support and suddenly, I only have 49 fucking days' worth of supplies on Duna.

I rolled back the install, but I'm pretty goddamned preturbed that he's calling the mod a "release" while still tinkering with the damned thing in ways that can seriously fuck up plans. Had it been a beta and subject to change, I'd know what I was getting myself into.

Hellraiser

Arcane
In other news....

Bad news men and transwomyn, the new comms system is postponed for 1.2. Its inclusion in 1.1 would delay it even further.

Good news, two more modders got hired. Claw who I believe made a bugfix mod, which is good because adding another coder will be useful. Then there's Tanihwa, mostly known for Extraplanetary Launch Pads and Modular Fuel System. Squad probably realised that they need more manpower considering how long it is taking to port this to the new version of Unity.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
While it is not as insane as a manned mission with landing to Venus or even vanilla solar system's Eve, disregarding the "easy" way with capsules by trying a first manned orbital spaceflight with a spaceplane using 1950s technology* in Realistic Progression Zero Career Mode was quite a challenge. Besides requiring heavier rockets due to a heavier dry mass for the final payload , there was a lot of trial and error before I finally managed to do something that has a decent chance of not being incinerated during reentry. It took further decades for the first spaceplane capable of LEO reentry to happen for a reason.

Among other quirks related to this mod I discovered that certain landing gears that are described as "rated for LEO reentry" in the mod will always be incinerated instead unless they are placed in front of the plane rather than balanced to the center of mass. I don't fancy trying a landing with unbalanced gear or "unicycle" that puts the aircraft under a serious risk of tumbling and crashing after a very tense reentry. Therefore, considering it isn't meant to take off from a runway and that landing gears adds more dry mass, I just replaced it with parachute-assisted vertical landing and control surfaces that can moonlight as landing legs.

Now, this has been part of a crazy Alternate History "realistic" space program. There was a progression to such spaceplane(besides the failed prototypes before it).

It started by strapping the cockpit of the Bell Ben X-1 to a parachute and a suborbital rocket, sending it straight to space.

:hero:

PhviQ4G.jpg

Thus, the Venus Program was born. Despite its looks, both pilot and the rocket survived. There would be no mission to send a man to outer space for many years because the technology for that was beyond what was available in that time.

Further advances would lead to the first orbital satellite, the Explorer 1, which used two tiny solid rocket boosters attached to the only 8kg heavy Explorer 1 and no attitude control in its final stage. Those tiny "Baby sergeant" boosters were essential because they packed almost 3000 m/s delta-V in a very lightweight form, overcoming the limitations of a low budget launchpad back then that could not support rockets heavier than 40 tons and of the available liquid rocket engines that were only slightly better than what the Germans had in WW2.

A few years later... after the X-2, the first jet powered aircraft capable of sustained supersonic flight that killed Jeb because he braked too hard and it tumbled after it had already touched down, after the Explorer 3, the first orbital probe capable of atmospheric reentry...

anRLdSR.jpg

For the ambitious goal of sending a man into orbit and back, the Venus program would have its far more advanced successor: the Venus 2 orbital spaceplane AKA micro space shuttle, lifted by the Titanium-Neanderthal 2SP rocket and by its own internal rocket fuel reserves in the final stage and for the reentry burn(RCS could also do the reentry burn in a pinch). It is a quite limited spacecraft, with only enough life support for 8 hours, not meant for long duration space missions, but it should be more than enough for this. Its wings and control surfaces were designed under a simple principle: heat shielding first, aerodynamic considerations second, as shown by the forward spoiler that covers the lower part of the cockpit when activated(According to Ferram Aerospace, this design is pretty good despite how weird it may look).

The fairings encasing the Venus 2 inside its launcher are quite heavy, but simulations proved that without them the odds of the attachment of the rocket to the spaceplane breaking apart to aerodynamic stresses were quite high. Somewhere between 59 to 60 km of height the fairings will be ejected.

Wl0FpbE.jpg

Sadly the LR79 rockets from this first stage don't have smoke and flame effects from RealPlume but they were the best ones for this. IRL they are originated from an IRBM.

fwOkRer.jpg

A Titanium LR87 twin booster running on liquid hydrogen forms the second stage. The separation somewhere around 30 km caused a momentary and fortunately rapidly corrected loss of attitude control, which should be remembered for preventing it in future missions.

BiJCwjG.jpg

The third and last stage from the rocket itself looks somewhat funny because of how stubby its fuel tank is.

olEckSU.jpg

Finally, the spaceplane itself will finish the burn towards LEO. Its engine can be ignited one more time for the de-orbit burn, and just in case it fails to start up again, there are always the plentiful RCS thrusters as a backup.

RorGFD5.jpg

Wish the RVE and scatterer mods didn't glitch terribly(when not crashing). Decent looking Earth views will need the coming 1.1 version and these two mods updated for it to happen. The "easiest" part of this mission is done. Soon the much harder part will begin.

pWsaw6W.jpg

This timing should ensure a landing near Cape Canaveral or at worst somewhere in North America(not really, at worst this will burn and the pilot will die, of course). The deorbit burn continues until periapsis is at 85 km. Any lower is probably a very bad idea. With only a little rocket fuel remaining, now the spaceplane weighs something close to 4.5 tons. In simulations the parachutes should work even if it had a fully loaded tank with over 8 tons. Of course the parachute is like the smallest concern because the pilot has his own parachute and the cockpit has an eject button.

Reentry begins...

JR0oAtl.jpg

At 88 kilometers of altitude, some poor configuration of the spoilers designed to ensure a quite high pitch during reentry and either the wrong use or a flaw in the spaceplane's autopilot causes near total loss of flight control. The pilot hurriedly tries everything he can to regain control before it's too late.

wMrr7dI.jpg

There are good and bad news. The spaceplane is descending under control again and managing to keep a high enough pitch to be able to, at least in theory, survive. However, both cockpit and the fuselage behind it, despite the heat shielded wings beneath them, are barely holding up due to ever increasing reentry heat. Those become very tense minutes in such attempt to achieve something with technology originally not designed for something so dangerous and bold, for the Venus 2 Micro Space Shuttle is little more than a X-15 with much larger and somewhat more heat resistant wings doing the job a heat shield would do in a more conventional reentry capsule.

f23Rdhn.jpg

While the sun is rising ahead over the horizon, the fuselage fuel tanks stopped overheating, but the cockpit still remains dangerously close to its limit.

tXOXHJp.jpg

And just when the threat of the cockpit disintegrating was finally becoming smaller, the RCS ran out of fuel.

Fortunately, the spoilers and the aerodynamics of the wings under such extremely high speed, even in with the very thin atmosphere at such altitude, is still enough to keep it under control and pitched up well enough to survive, for now.

Cn4E11L.jpg

Against all odds, the Venus 2 survived the worst of reentry and slowed down enough to no longer be under constant threat of disintegrating. Now comes a long and quite safer descent.

RtIgvTf.jpg

Better to land in Mexico than in the middle of the ocean. There won't be any political problems given Mexico is a quite friendly neighbor. Maybe there will be time for some tacos and tequila amidst the celebrations. It's almost there. The worst part of this mission is already over!

dVwUeCM.jpg

Certainly it looks scarier now, but such speed is within what past X-15 tests endured without any accidents. Except that the forward spoiler was shattered due aerodynamic stresses caused by a less than stellar moment from the pilot when controlling pitch and disabling spoilers to ensure a stall won't happen.

Then after some further minutes of descent and deceleration...

wZ77Pxm.jpg

You will believe a X-15 can orbit!

FWZbZnt.jpg

One of the cool features of the Venus 2 micro shuttle is how its "landing legs" work. The pilot forgot to switch the rear control surfaces to the "landing gear mode" but that wasn't really a problem at all. Now, hopefully there is some civilization in the middle of this Mexican desert, but the cockpit has air conditioning. Perhaps it's better to just wait inside until NASA's crew to bring him home... shouldn't take too long, hopefully.

Not bad for a bunch of rednecks, but the Venus program still needs serious improvements before another mission like this can be attempted. This was a very risky bid, arguably a near-death experience for the pilot. Nevertheless, it proved that reusable spaceplanes that don't ditch millions of dollars away in final stage engines to return to Earth are a practical, if far more challenging alternative to capsules like the still very barebones Mercury program.

*Not sure about the not-Titan second stage that uses liquid hydrogen as fuel being practical with 1950s rocket science.

PS: I switched thrust limiter to 0 in those tiny SRBs that are mostly another frame for attaching RCS besides ignition/decoupling aids so I could check the main engine's torque caused by misalignment to the center of mass and reduce it as much as I could, then I forgot to switch it back to 100. That is why their fuel never ran out.

Last edited:

vean

Scholar
How's the performance of all these mods like RSS now? Does it still go into single digits on launch?

Cassidy

Arcane
How's the performance of all these mods like RSS now? Does it still go into single digits on launch?

Real Solar System by itself isn't really a huge performance drain. Just disregard Realism Overhaul, use SMURFF instead which does the "same" as Realism Overhaul in a simpler, more abstracted way and is much more lightweight. For the needs of RSS space exploration, you should not install tons of new parts. Rather than that, it's best to use TweakScale to scale up stock parts when needed, Procedural Parts, Procedural Fairings and Procedural Wings. Sadly though the vanilla career mode and tech tree suck for RSS and there is no way to make Realistic Progression Zero work with SMURFF instead of Realism Overhaul.

Data4

Arcane
I was wondering about SMURFF. What does it do better than ROMini? The latter always seemed kinda hacky to me, and I was hoping a better alternative would emerge. Does SMURFF do it better?

Cassidy

Arcane
I was wondering about SMURFF. What does it do better than ROMini?

Near everything in my opinion. It uses a much more universal and simpler formula to make engines and fuel tanks have physics closer to reality, is fully compatible with procedural parts, Cryogenic tanks, LH2 fuel from NearFuture mods and makes almost all existing engine and fuel tank mods for the game practical in RSS.

Also, just discovered that one of the few mods(if not the only one) that adds Solar Sails to the game and means of thrusting ion engines in background processing so you can set them up to keep burning for hours, days and even months sadly doesn't work completely in Real Sol. While at least it works for convenient missions with ion engines planned to keep burning for months(besides its way of plotting long duration burn courses being much less intuitive than vanilla maneuver nodes), its solar sails produce thrust based on stock Kerbol distances. I launched one of those out of Earth sphere of influence and just found out that a solar sail trip to Venus with a 6 tons craft would take almost 100 years before the gigantic calculations the mod was doing because I wanted to reach Mercury with those sails crashed the game.

The same author's mod to make thrust under time warp possible works with ion engines. Sadly it still doesn't work with nuclear thermal rockets.

:negative:

Data4

Arcane
I may look into it then. I decided to go play in my RO install after Roverdude indirectly ruined my Duna base, but really, I only treat that as a scaled up virtual model rocketry simulator. I'll make real world launchers, prove them out, and then... psshhhht... lose motivation. I could try a moon shot, I suppose, or perhaps aim higher and do a Curiosity-style mission to Mars.

My lineup:

Some of my favorites. All of these are mostly realistic, using specs found on Spaceflight101.com and other sites. They perform pretty much as published.

Falcon 9 Heavy. Basically a Falcon 9.1 (which works by itself like the real one, but no boostback landing), with 2 Falcon 9 boost cores strapped on.

ztolSX0.png

Delta IV Heavy, configured with the Orion Exploration Flight Test module. Same setup as the Falcon 9, with a Delta IV and 2 additional boost cores. Works in single core mode with and without SRBs, depending on payload.

eXoS350.png

Ares V Heavy Cargo Lifter. This was part of the now defunct Constellation program Bush passed and Obama subsequently slashed. Similar to the current SLS being built, but with a heavier lift capacity due to the use of 6 RS-68s (same engine on Delta IV) rather than the 5 SSME's projected to be used on the Block 2 Heavy SLS. The SRBs are the same, however.

LkzH0js.png

Atlas V, basic 401 configuration. This one has a Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter payload. I've also done the full-bore 551 version with all the SRBs and huge 5m x 19m fairing, but not in this particular save.

GKoj3DK.png

Japanese H-IIB. I built this one just to do something different besides the ULA and SpaceX rockets I seem to build over and over. The real one has this wicked whining turbine sound as it accelerates after clearing the launch tower. Too bad that can't be simulated in the game.

WGZEyxx.png

Hellraiser

Arcane
1.1 entered experimental build phase. FYI there will be an opt-in on Gaben's porn deletion system for pre-release testing, as the whole engine update thing needs extensive testing. They can't offer it on their website because build downloads would kill their bandwidth budget. Due to the public phase of testing, it will last 2 weeks longer.

Some minor things mentioned:
- rocket parts graphical update
- timescale changed so that for long save files (I believe the limit was 80-ish earth years) the time does not go into negative values as easily (the limit is now ~142 million earth years)
- some VAB editor bugs being fixed
- clamshell fairings will be implemented as an option, if you do not like the current confetti model.

IUjNXM3.jpg

Also here's some stuff from my Best and Only Korea save file:

rnd4%201.png~original

My second Jool-bound probe. The first one actually went to low Jool Orbit, did science and sent a return capsule back to Kerbin. This one scanned Laythe and Bop for juicy ore. It is powered with a Garnet nuclear reactor from the Near Future mod pack. It also uses a VASIMR I think, or some other plasma thruster. It had just enough Delta-V to arrive at Laythe (no aerocapture), enter polar orbit, scan and go to Bop. I hoped it may have more to scan Pol or Vall, maybe Tylo. It has some small docking ports and I plan to refuel it later on.

rnd4%202.png~original

Best Korean Kerbonauts returned from Duna on their mothership, did a perfect side-to-side docking with the re-supply Freighter/Tug. Unfortunately the crew of four was to big to fit in the return capsule so one Kerbonaut stayed behind. Mothership design leaves much to be desired. The power source is not enough to power the greenhouse and labs, I really need a reactor for it. Carrying a lab around is good though, instead of transmitting back all the Duna science, I put in the lab for processing while waiting months for a return window yielding much more science in the process.

rnd4%203.png~original

Minmus has a resupply depot, here juicy ore is turned into Standard Kommunist Kosmic Rations and some fuel is stored. The mothership can be seen here docked with it via claw and a tug freighter (possibly the same one as before, sans capsule which got back to Kerbin).

I actually have two miners on Minmus and tanker rover/lander. One is an old design using solar panels, it's problem is production due to power drop at night. The other one is nuclear powered with a plasma thruster, but it's problem is abysmal TWR (it can only go half thrust so it cannot be fully loaded). So the old one is actually better. The new one was based on a Bop miner I did, which was smaller and works better. Nowadays I am sticking to LF-LOX rockets for mining rigs.

rnd4%204.png~original

Speaking of mining rigs here is my Ike one using LF-LOX and a nuclear reactor. Landing it was a pain, as it is a thin-tall spacecraft and the north pole of Ike is bumpy. I am preparing to explore Ike next, as I have a lot of contracts for it and Laythe, and Laythe is unreachable for my manned program until I launch a new mother ship. Which will be expensive, because I need to prototype the larger nuclear reactors first (or think of an efficient way to cool multiple small reactors). Also I am now down below 500k funds :M

rnd4%205.png~original

However I am preparing for Laythe. Blew at least 200k on testing supersonic plane designs :M This was actually quite challenging with the 1.0 aerodynamics and jet engine changes. Intake air is no longer a factor due to mach-based thrust curves, the best air intake is now the pre-cooler as it can be placed in-line. As drag is a major factor (since thrust drops off fast at high mach numbers), a proper shape of the nose of the plane is also necessary for supersonic travel. Tail sections are possibly the best for this, but they run into the problem of overheating. The nosecone and adapter combination used here has higher thermal-tolerance but slightly more drag. Minimal wings to reduce drag and unneeded lift.

The final design I chose is slower because it has mk0 fuel pods. However it can fly for an hour or so making way around over 60% of Kerbin and on Laythe I should be able to do sub-orbital hops with it conserving some fuel, hopefully. Either way I will drop two of those on Laythe, as they till do not allow jet engines to have a second attachment node.

If I had RAPIERs this would have been easier as those have a more high-mach friendly drop-off curve, which would allow for faster travel and higher range.

rnd4%206.png~original

The other phase of preparation includes dropping a floating refinery (here tested on my sandbox save file). Although I am now wondering how the hell do I turn water into jet fuel, as Laythe's ocean seem to not contain delicious ore or karbonite :M

Also shown is one of the two tanker boats.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
In an Alternate History where Von Braun's work already brought a swastika flag on the Moon, Apollo won't be enough for post-post-post-apocalyptic America: the first fully reusable space shuttle to orbit and play an essential role in a future moon landing mission on the other hand would be remembered despite not being the first lunar landing.

Budget shortages delayed the first mission of the Icarus Program to 1968. By the time Cape Canaveral had enough infrastructure developed to launch the Icarus 1 Minishuttle, it had already become obsolete. Not meant for more than Lunar passes and perhaps orbits, a new lunar spaceplane that would either dock directly or indirectly to a separate lunar lander was already under construction by the time of its launch, for a direct ascent was out of question due to the complications of a perfectly balanced "VTOL" design to both land on the Moon by itself and survive atmospheric reentry in one piece, plus the need of a much larger rocket because a spaceplane with enough fuel to return to Earth after a direct ascent would be much heavier.

Sdc4w49.jpg

While the plans for the actual landing involved multiple launches followed by dockings in Earth's orbit, this important first step towards it for the sake of photo recon and additional research on long duration manned spaceflight would be sent to its destination in a single launch. While those without deep knowledge of aerodynamics were at first skeptical about the Icarus design, from the dawn of aviation, "biplanes" are making a comeback for the goal of crossing a much more daunting frontier: hypersonic flight at atmospheric reentry speeds.

bLeDics.jpg

The F1 engines were believed to not be at their maximum power. That would require more technological advances. At their maximum power five of them should be more than enough to lift a much heavier rocket than the Titanium 3L, which is more or less a crossover between a Saturn, a Titan and a N1.

e4pizJV.jpg

The separation of the first stage was not completely safe, but while the disintegration of the first stage tanks was scary, the rocket was completely unharmed during it. The second stage is roughly a four times more powerful Titan first stage. While Liquid Hydrogen would have granted a more lightweight rocket, it would have been more expensive as well.

DJ3gcS4.jpg

Yet maybe hydrogen rockets would have been a better idea in this case. The failures were not enough to compromise the mission, gimbals were compensating for them until the second stage ran out of fuel.

XJdIBqW.jpg

The historical Soviet N1 rocket didn't fail because it had too many engines. It failed because of what it lacked: FREEDOM

:mrpresident:

The third stage was used to both achieve orbit and commence the trans-lunar injection burn.

vUa6qDe.jpg

And the fourth stage, using the same hydrogen engines as the previous one, finished it and still had plenty of fuel left for more. The Icarus 1 mission was designed to be practical at almost any time. No need to be worried about the position of the Moon during the day of launch, mostly.

NniDEha.jpg

For the first time, men would see the "dark" side of the Moon and an Earthrise with their own eyes. Because a mere flyby would put the Icarus away from Earth, an orbit was achieved so that it would leave the Moon in the right time to get back to Low Earth Orbit.

KYXKLCD.jpg

It was a long way, from a probe landing on the Eldritch landscapes of Deimos to ongoing Jupiter and Saturn flybys, but the lunar dream is coming close at last. This might be the last manned mission before the actual attempt towards landing on the Moon.

wgu9IDi.jpg

One final stage before the Icarus minishuttle main engines are activated. Trying to go into a direct reentry trajectory from the Moon is downright suicidal, which is why this mission was designed to ensure there would be enough fuel to return to LEO for a gentler reentry.

Qt3Vhjt.jpg

Using a not removed from an inventory German technology, the Astris II vacuum engines, the Minishuttle itself is quite efficient, but on the other hand its engines are useless in atmospheric flight.

wSme6uZ.jpg

And so, hopefully nailing the KSC and landing at its runway, its reentry is beginning.

MVPyUZp.jpg

Whether the Icarus 1 is a biplane or a regular plane with co-joined tail control surfaces is a matter of perspective. Its abundant and heat-shielded control surfaces help a lot during reentry. Unlike the long abandoned Venus 2, it does not rely on parachutes for landing, but for assisting with landing, for they are drag chutes that will help it slow down without too much risk of a crash.

5ya7PaZ.jpg

Unlike the Venus 2 as well, it was never threatened during reentry, but much more resilient to heat than its predecessor that wasn't meant for this kind of space flight in the first place. While at first it seemed it would land on Mexico, its "exotic" airframe proved itself excellent as a hypersonic glider, and it would carry on closer and closer to Florida.

3suQ3mv.jpg

The dangerous velocities long gone, it began to maneuver in such extreme conditions, where it proved much more agile than predicted, until, somewhere in Louisiana, it was almost ready for a landing.

lhxwOKP.jpg

Lets pretend it's an airstrip.

QDc6gdl.jpg

Drag chute is out, no problems with the landing gear.

PyLay7O.jpg

The final stage of lunar exploration is closer than ever.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love how every single modern pc-centric company have gone consoles these last couple of years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom