Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kickstarter for Darkest Dungeon Goes Live

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why is everyone raving about this? It looks like trash. Just another indie flash abomination with a handful of gimmicks.

It will have superficial features from JRPGs and roguelikes and end up not being good at either part. Just another flawed indie "experiment" meant to capitalize on buzzwords like roguelike, D&D, old-school, randomly generated, and the like. Plus it looks cartoonish and corny; I can never take a cartoonish Flash game seriously.

When a Kickstarter tries to impress you by name dropping features instead of delivering solid all around gameplay, it's a sign to run away.

You're a fucking retard.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll back it -- but the fact they're considering 3DS -- a system with limited player input -- doesn't encourage my dollar. I'm a PC purist - not because I'm delusional or prideful, but because keyboards allow developres to offer more player control. This game looks very linear and narrow-minded in scope; randomization doesn't fix that -- what's important is how their randomization algorithm works and how well their systems adapt to repeated playthroughs.
I am definitely concerned about the simplistic controls. From what I've seen so far, it appears that it's designed for mouse input only. I posted a couple comments saying yo, please have keyboard controls, and no one else has commented on that. Simple games can still be fun, but forcing me to use a stupid clicky interface tapping all over the screen is stupid when I have a keyboard right here.

Drew

Savant
I don't think anyone was contemplating that this would be the end all be all best game of all time, or even best game of the genre.
It looks like a simple start up project for a new developer to get their names out.
It has an interesting mechanic, isn't overly ambitions, has a refreshing sense of personality, and is coming in on a time where everything else is bland and soulless or being raped by publishers.

So, even if it's a shallow, easy game, for $15 it looks like it could be a few hours of fun, at least. Looks deeper than half the things being sold at $60.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like the art style and interesting concept. Doesn't look terribly ambitious and has some charm. I'll probably back it.

Mortmal

Arcane
It sounds like the game is almost finished , theres really a lot of info on their page now . The starcrawlers kickstarter is entering into competition at the worst time possible, it also look a lot more generic and a bit too clean .I am backing both still , thats the priviledges of rich desesperate nerds :)

set

Arcane
Considering the delivery date is 2015, I'd say it's not 'nearly finished', but I do appreciate all the release-grade art and ui they've given us a glimpse of.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In other news, that other promising-looking dungeon crawler with a SF theme really isn't doing as hot. Still, StarCrawlers is chugging along.

That much is true, Darkest Dungeon seems to have completely overshadowed all the other Kickstarter projects launching within a similar time frame (vide the aformentioned SC or The Book of Unwritten Tales 2). Still, StarCrawlers *should* gain some momentum eventually, I hope they make it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hopefully they can get to $250k. The other stretch goals are nice but nothing hugely gameplay related. I'm sure Steam workshop integration will be added eventually whether or not they actually hit that goal.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So if a new dungeon and a new monster set are 20% more game, does that mean that the game has only five dungeons and monster sets?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Let's keep in mind this is a $15-20 game with 'roguelike features.' Plenty of content for something of that nature.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I just noticed that one of the programmers worked on Homeworld 2. That is pretty cool as that was a pretty awesome game.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
This looks like it could be wicked cool! I thought I was taking a break from Kickstarter for a while, but I guess not. :P

tumblr_inline_mryw2dzT4Z1qz4rgp.gif

Severian Silk

I just noticed that one of the programmers worked on Homeworld 2. That is pretty cool as that was a pretty awesome game.
From a technical standpoint HW2 was better than HW1. But they dropped the ball on the singleplayer campaign and the multiplayer wasn't really that great either.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
From a technical standpoint HW2 was better than HW1. But they dropped the ball on the singleplayer campaign and the multiplayer wasn't really that great either.

I agree that Homeworld was better than Homeworld 2 in many ways, but never-the-less Homeworld 2 was a great game. I enjoyed it quite a lot and have always wondered why there haven't been more games that were directly influenced by these games.

I have fond memories of playing both of those games.

I am pretty excited by what I have seen from Darkest Dungeon. The fact that it is a rogue like game should allow it to work with the low budget they will end up with. FTL was my first Kickstarter game and I was 100% satisfied with my investment in that game. The early access to Darkest Dungeon might be worth it considering it will be rogue like/procedural. Full on RPGs and Kickstarter are a bit speculative, but a RPG light game like Darkest Dungeon should work with Kickstarter.

Murk

Arcane
Bro, I am sorry to say, but you should stop looking forward to Chaos Chronicles.

She's gone bro, she's gone... =(

Murk

Arcane
Taste is subjective; and accordingly to the standards of the codex, all is shit and shall ever be.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:necro:

This hit $250k so town events have been added. The recent update post explains them as well as information about the world/map/zones. They probably won't hit the other goals with under a week left but most of them were pretty weak. I'm sure Steam Workshop capability will be added later, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom