Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Kz3r0

Arcane

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
lol
Druyr5c.jpg
Wow, what a phososhopt hack. :D The PCB on the left doesn't cast any shadow, while the white stuff on the right does. God, if someone wants to scam people out of their money, at least make some effort.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
But isn't it also great that there are always people to spot the discrepancies and find the original images.

Yeah, that woman made off with a bundle for sure.

I am really at a loss. What did the backers think who donated 24,000$ to a millionaire, to pay other people to make a game that looks like it was made by her nine year old daughter??

According to http://gamingtrend.com/2013/04/02/kickin-it-special-edition-the-susan-wilson-saga/ she also started a crowdfunding campaign to create a phone case, with photos of a product that already exists, and which she may have intended to sell for 10 times the price.
Her husband even started a indiegogo campaign to raise money (5000$) for a family vacation http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-get-these-kids-off-video-games-hunting-for-real-treasure

All these projects sought "only" a few thousand dollars, mere pittances considering she is the CEO of a big debt collecting agency. No, I am certain that the Wilson family neither need the money nor the (bad) PR, so there must be something psychological going on underneath. Like "Look, I am already a multi-millionaire but I can still get average people to pay for my vacation, or a new laptop for my daughter. When it comes to money I got the "Right Stuff" and can get it even in the most unusual ways."

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, it's not much of a surprise. This is what separates wealthy people from everyone else, more than anything else, it's the williingness to fuck over your fellow man and take money you didn't deserve. If anything I'm surprised the corporate influence on kickstarter has been so tame so far. I guess it's because they're always so far behind the times.

Stabwound

Arcane
Did the kid write a single line ever? Anything on any of the websites that is supposed to be written by the kid is clearly written by her mastermind of a mother; it's as though she doesn't even try to write in a different style. Her mom writes the exact same way, with overused CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamations!

Oh well. If anyone is dumb enough to get suckered in by this, it's their own fault. It would be different if it was legitimately a kid who was interested in something, but it's just a mom exploiting her kids. Sad that it's still going on.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It was probably going to be made in RPGMAKER. A not too dumb kid could make a RPG with that.

I am actually curious at what would happen if we gave a kid a shitload of money to make the games of his dreams ; assisted by professionnal artists who would act on his very whim. It could be the most terrible, yet most awesome thing ever. Someone needs to do that.

Kz3r0

Arcane
It was probably going to be made in RPGMAKER. A not too dumb kid could make a RPG with that.

I am actually curious at what would happen if we gave a kid a shitload of money to make the games of his dreams ; assisted by professionnal artists who would act on his very whim. It could be the most terrible, yet most awesome thing ever. Someone needs to do that.
LORDBritish.jpg

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm running a Kickstarter for my Dog to make her first RPG. She's sick of the MEAN cats telling her she can't! I need $827 to send her to Dog RPG making camp, but if we get more, I'm not adverse to buying a new car with it.

Bt

Kz3r0

Arcane
After Reset - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146421095/after-reset-rpg - "After Reset RPG is a sci-fi post-apocalyptic role-playing game. Inspired by original Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate and Planescape:Torment."; asking for $900,000

The artwork looks good, everything looks intriguing up to the point when you start to ask yourself "Who are this guys? Do they have a snowball's chance in hell of delivering?". And then the other shoe drops:

"FOUNDER, GAME DIRECTOR:
Richard Nixon, mrnixon@afterreset.com
I'm 31 y.o. Born in USSR. Served in army (Mission Controll Center). Used to be a merc (Asia Region). Have an MBA of Strategic Marketing (Durham University Business School and Synergy University Business School). Built my own international furniture business (UK/Germany/Russia/China) from the ground. I've been working on the After Reset as a hobby but if our campaign succeed I will pass control of the business and dedicate my entire time to gamedev. I know how to create and finalize the project and have a strong experience in business operations as well as fiery passion for the task in hands." [emphasis mine]

Hilarity ensued. I suggest the LULZ list. If this KS would be a Codex thread, my first instinct would be to say "inb4 retardo".
From the comments:
I do appreciate the honesty of Mr. Nixon

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cancelled, the problem here is that as interesting the setting could be both Syberia and Amerzone were terrible in the puzzle department.
Any additional vote?
There was no interest in the thread I made for it.

I thought it looked cool :(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've started to lose interest in the adventure game genre as a whole. The only one I've played in recent years that I've really enjoyed was Primordia. The Leisure Suit Larry remake was... well, adequate. More or less.

It's probably my age. The puzzles never really challenge me anymore unless they're so bizarre and illogical that it's ill-advised to design them that way to begin with. The 1980s/1990s puns, jokes, and pop culture references are typically replaced by 2000s equivalents that aren't as witty or well-executed, nor are they as mysterious as they were when I was a kid and had no idea what half of them meant. Even the longest adventure games can often be finished in an afternoon, whereas they'd last me for weeks or months back in the day. Finally, the art direction and/or choice of graphics for some modern adventure games are so cheaply done that I'd prefer the charm and abstract/stylized nature of low-res pixel art.

Then there's the X factor: They just aren't as good. Characters, story, atmosphere... some or all of the above often apply.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm running a Kickstarter for my Dog to make her first RPG. She's sick of the MEAN cats telling her she can't! I need $827 to send her to Dog RPG making camp, but if we get more, I'm not adverse to buying a new car with it.

Bt
Where is the kickstarter link?!!!
:takemyjewgold::takemyjewgold::takemyjewgold::takemyjewgold::takemyjewgold::takemyjewgold::takemyjewgold:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Added Henkel's Deathfire at the Codex Pet Projects section, already in red.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Diviner looks kinda interesting -- it's basically an illustrated text-based CYOA RPG:

diviner01.png

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1871839191/the-diviner

Its inspirations seem to be a bit all over the place though, from Wasteland and Fallout New Vegas to Diablo and Pokemon, not to mention Bioware-style romances.

The Diviner draws gameplay and aesthetic inspiration from a variety of different sources. Wasteland and other 1990s-era RPGs became the main basis of execution and UI design for the game - with simple images depicting game events, that are paired with a more detailed text description. The ambient tone of The Diviner is similar to that of Limbo’s or A Dark Room: bordering on creepy, not truly scary, but still threatening and esoteric. Fallout: New Vegas’s factional choices also provided us a basis for incorporating more options for player choice.

The visual look of the game is a unique mix of illustrative styles with modern design. The final in-game art will take on the appearance of Medieval/Northern Renaissance and 19th-20th century book illustrations, but character designs will be modern in dress: a homage to present-day high fashion, a la Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen, Givenchy, and Balenciaga. However, all work still has a historical twist, primarily drawing from Byzantine culture and global 11th-17th century fashion. Architecture within the Diviner world is also reflective of this - buildings stand towering, interiors are spacious, and lighting is generous.

We've played a lot of games, and this is reflected in the mechanical design of the game. Exploration is straightforward, and takes from classic text-adventures and choose-your-own-adventure stories. You’ll have a location or scenario described to you, and you make a decision about where to go. It is very similar to Oregon Trail, but on a larger scale. Our system for Dialogue and Conversation can find its roots in the systems of Bioware, but with more long-term impact and greater ability to define your character’s personality. Finally, combat draws from a number of sources, including, but not limited to: Guild Wars 2, Diablo and Pokemon.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Diviner looks kinda interesting -- it's basically an illustrated text-based CYOA RPG:

Its inspirations seem to be a bit all over the place though, from Wasteland and Fallout New Vegas to Diablo and Pokemon, not to mention Bioware-style romances.
I will wait before add this, by the look of it seems a scam to me or maybe is genuine retardation, let' see if proves to be something feasible.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Looks like genuine retardation, too much work put into it, not that I understand why anyone likes playing "play your own adventure books", when you can have real games

Alchemist

Arcane

I will wait before add this, by the look of it seems a scam to me or maybe is genuine retardation, let' see if proves to be something feasible.
What makes you think it's a scam? It might not be my cup of tea but it seems legit.

A gamebook with the depth of a full RPG is a cool idea. Having stuff based more on text allows a wider range of interactions with a smaller budget.

Kz3r0

Arcane

What makes you think it's a scam? It might not be my cup of tea but it seems legit.

A gamebook with the depth of a full RPG is a cool idea. Having stuff based more on text allows a wider range of interactions with a smaller budget.
The reason I don't like this kind of projects in the ten thousand dolars range is that rarely delivers and there have been cases were the money basically served to bootstrap a startup studio more than making the promised game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom