Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I'm really just raging because they seem to think Wizardry and Temple of Apshai etc. were made in Japan (or, if you prefer, that Nintendo invented games). What a perversion of Garyu Gigazu's legacy

Stabwound you can probably make an educated guess about what they're making based on the pitch etc., the video implies it's a custom engine although of course when he says 'coding' he could mean custom Ruby scripts for VX/XP (XP had scripting rite?)

Kz3r0

Arcane
I remember looking a tloc and going "eh, if they had the game on a $5ish tier I migh be interested byt $25? bloody hell.
Pure entrepreneurship there, hope for the backers that the goodies will make up for the difference.
Mercenary Games
Believe me, during the last weeks we have already been discussing the exact same thing. People giving substantial money to such projects could be the death of crowdfunding.

That was also the reason I asked Kz3r0 to make changes to the structure of his kickstarter watch. Putting Wasteland side by side with Tortured Hearts is simply not right.

It's no biggie with four RPG projects but once the list gets longer it will be downright confusing.
I just didn't want to act as censor, considering that more people are showing concern I will rearrange the order, I will also include a guide to wise Kickstarter funding, all dependent on the feedback of others codexers tho.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

bro
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/best-thread-ever-part-3.57009/page-264#post-2035709
:rpgcodex:

oh man imagine A TOTAL BISCUIT ADVENTURE

even if 2% of his subscribers back that it will still be 10k backers and 150K dollers of tophat cynical brit software
with 100% full voice acting from the legend himself, just like in Ed123's wildest dreams

CAPITAAAAALIIISSSMM

Multi-headed Cow

:what:
How the fuck did I miss/forget that? Either I automatically brofist Meltdown posts without reading them (Possible) or I'm going senile.

And speaking of that shithead Totalbiscuit, I was linked his Steam account. He had something like 6 hours of videogames played in two weeks, and his most played games on Steam amounted to 30ish hours. Seems odd he gets paid (?) to talk about videogames on youtube but doesn't seem to play them much.

Here, googled it back up. http://steamcommunity.com/id/totalbiscuit 7 hours now!
And if you look at his total game list sorted by time played, http://steamcommunity.com/id/totalbiscuit/games/?tab=all&sort=playtime blap. Ok, more like 50ish hours for the top two. STILL. I HAVE MORE STEAM GAMES THAN THAT AND I PLAY THEM MORE, SOMEBODY GIVE ME MONEY GOD DAMN IT.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He doesn't even consider himself a reviewer -- he just plays games for thirty minutes and makes an 'impression' video. Only reason he makes money is because he got extremely popular playing/commentating on World of Warcraft. It's pretty sad, really. There are far better actual reviewers out there like that Errant Signal guy.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah starting a thread elsewhere would prolly be wise bro, this is really just a list of interesting/hilarious projects, and not necessarily a good place for discussion.

Anyway, lulz section:

Echoes of Eternia

Although it's good to see screenshots and concept art etc. on a Kickstarter page, they belong there simply because of this impressively retarded statement:

We feel that lately, RPG Video Games have been forgotten and have been too westernized. RPG's have lost their appeal and their heritage.

Also 'RPG games' in the video
The blah, blah of a consoletard is not enough to earn a place in the list, I will prefer to include worthy projects than creating a huge shit list, and even the shitlist has standards, Takedown has hard earned its place as turd king considering than it's a possible kikstarter breaker with its 200K$ for maybe convince a publisher to make a game.

Mercenary Games

Educated
For anyone who was curious, we've opened a thread where you can test our prototypes.

Works on Windows XP/Vista/7 32 and 64 bit.

And yes, this is the notorious fleet maneuvering tool from our design document.

We'll be back on Monday, after easter.

Kz3r0

Arcane
For anyone who was curious, we've opened a thread where you can test our prototypes.

Works on Windows XP/Vista/7 32 and 64 bit.

And yes, this is the notorious fleet maneuvering tool from our design document.

We'll be back on Monday, after easter.
I will adjourn the link then, happy Easter.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
How about this one: Delaware St. John 4: Asylum of the Lost

It seems to be a point-and-click adventure game. Are the first three any good? I know nothing about them.

I enjoyed the first one. It's not going to be ranked in any hall of fame, but it's enjoyable. May not be everyone's cup of tea though.

Anyway, good fucking grief. I never cared for Yogscast, and I'm not even sure what to think about this. Sounds like a convenient cash-in on their (undeserved) popularity.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Same concept as Totalbiscuit. Guys who got popular talking about WoW parlayed it into a modicum of internet fame.

Kz3r0

Arcane

It seems to be a point-and-click adventure game. Are the first three any good? I know nothing about them.

I enjoyed the first one. It's not going to be ranked in any hall of fame, but it's enjoyable. May not be everyone's cup of tea though.

Anyway, good fucking grief. I never cared for Yogscast, and I'm not even sure what to think about this. Sounds like a convenient cash-in on their (undeserved) popularity.
I will add Delaware St. John 4: Asylum of the Lost, about Yogcast I don't see the problem, they seems to have an alraedy functioning game, the fact that goes against Codex' sensibilities is not enough to put it in the shit list, unless I am missing something here.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I played the second Delaware St. John game and after about 20 minutes I face-palmed and turned it off. Not really my cup of tea. Your mileage may vary. I do wish them luck however. I think they are asking for WAY too much money.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah starting a thread elsewhere would prolly be wise bro, this is really just a list of interesting/hilarious projects, and not necessarily a good place for discussion.

Anyway, lulz section:

Echoes of Eternia

Although it's good to see screenshots and concept art etc. on a Kickstarter page, they belong there simply because of this impressively retarded statement:

We feel that lately, RPG Video Games have been forgotten and have been too westernized. RPG's have lost their appeal and their heritage.

Also 'RPG games' in the video
I apologize, I should have listened to the Codex,this project has been funded in three days.:eek:
And this is the first update after they reached the goal:
We now have some an actual game update! Well... more like a poll.

We want to know what kind of leveling and skill system you want in the game?

Straight in the shit list.

udm

Arcane
Patron

I will add Delaware St. John 4: Asylum of the Lost, about Yogcast I don't see the problem, they seems to have an alraedy functioning game, the fact that goes against Codex' sensibilities is not enough to put it in the shit list, unless I am missing something here.

It's cool, doesn't have to be in the shit list. Just saying that when I got news of it, I went :retarded:

Anyway Ravaged has potential. Only problem is, it's probably going to be MP only. It's also Steamworks based, for those who avoid hate that sort of thing.

Nekro looks like incline. If I understand it right, it's sort of like Overlord, in that you play as the bad guy and rape and pillage towns. Seems like a mix between Sacrifice and Overlord, but you don't have direct control over your minions. The developer's got quite a fair bit of work done with the game; more information can be found on his blog.

But above all, this has to be the most amazing video game Kickstarter I've come across. It's also reached its goal. 35 backers, total pledged = $5220 :retarded:

Let me know if you're interested in adding board games or tabletop RPGs to the list. I've backed a few which I think are p. cool.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This is such nonsense, JRPGs main problem lately is that they are getting so "J"RPGs that non-otaku westerns can't get into them. Japan is losing the link with the rest of the world, they are in a cicle where otaku make super-otaku games, then the super-otaku fans start to create hyper-otaku games that no one else cares for. Even Hideo Kojima said recently that "a lot of creators are just focused on Japan and the Japanese market, and aren’t really aware of what people around the world want.”

FFS, Final Fantasy is now about a lolita that goes around cacthing monsters and equipping them with party hats and bowties!

final-fantasy-Xiii-2-monster.jpg

:decline:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Anyway Ravaged has potential. Only problem is, it's probably going to be MP only. It's also Steamworks based, for those who avoid hate that sort of thing.

Nekro looks like incline. If I understand it right, it's sort of like Overlord, in that you play as the bad guy and rape and pillage towns. Seems like a mix between Sacrifice and Overlord, but you don't have direct control over your minions. The developer's got quite a fair bit of work done with the game; more information can be found on his blog.

But above all, this has to be the most amazing video game Kickstarter I've come across. It's also reached its goal. 35 backers, total pledged = $5220 :retarded:

Let me know if you're interested in adding board games or tabletop RPGs to the list. I've backed a few which I think are p. cool.
I will add Nekro, very codexian and Ravaged just to ne fair, there are many steamfags around here.
The Ron Paul game has been signaled already, sincerely I prefer to ignore it, clear case to try to cash in on the guy's popularity, I wonder if he just added some new sprite to a ripped game .
For the tabletop feel free to signal them, DU doesn'y want to create a dedicated sub.forum but many here seem to like them, if many people will vouch for it I will dedicate a section on the list.

Edit:
Added almost all the games signaled in this thread, let' see if I am being too generous here.
On a side note Fist Puncher has been funded.

udm

Arcane
Patron
There's Zpocalypse, which looks like a very fun board game. You set up the tile pieces according to the scenario, then you play it as you would a zombie survival game, with the occasional OSHIII moment you get from the "SOMETHING'S HAPPENING" card. You can recruit more survivors, barricade your safehouse etc.

This games terrain project is great for anyone who has too much money spilling out of his/her pockets and likes wargames. I am still on the fence regarding this. By pledging $80, I get to have some nice props for the Fallout Warfare wargame which a few friends and I are planning to set up ($80 gets you a custom-made deluxe terrain set, which means you can get cool shit for whatever setting you want to play in). The default kits seem to be tailored to the WH40K setting, but you'll have to find out from the developer to see whether he's got the kit that you want.

Parsec is a rule set for creating your own Mass Effect without the derp, and with multi-layered complexities. There are intergalactic politics, spaceship combat and even corporate espionage etc. Very neat. I've bookmarked but haven't backed this, because I haven't decided what reward tier I want.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Goddammit

Alright if we're doing this I want the revised edition of Hellas to be funded, and at this rate it's not going to be. Basically: Ancient Greeks in space (ie. a unique concept!!!!), rules for founding dynasties and changing the galaxy and shit (PCs are Jason and the Astronauts types and so are obligated to do all the trad hero stuff), aliens based on mythological monsters, blah blah blah. I know this one's good because the dude's made and released several kickstarter PNPRPGs already and Hellas has already had a first ediiton, which is now out of print, so the dude knows what he's doing.

Give money plox

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom