Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Kz3r0

Arcane
StarDrive -- a 4x Action Strategy Game for the PC
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-action-strategy-game-for-the-pc?ref=category

It's funded since December and already quite advanced.

Music sounds strangely familiar. Combat appears to be the same crap as in most games of this type, taking you directly from a highly customizable strategic level, to a fast paced arcade game.
Added.
For... reason or another, I've had a look at the world outside of Kickstarter.
Thanks, more Indiegogo projects would be nice.
http://www.indiegogo.com/Malevolence

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox is an indie game development project founded out of Brisbane, Australia and is involving over 30 people from all over the world in places like California, Scotland, Great Britain, New Zealand, and more. The aim is to recreate the amazing turn-based, first person RPGs from the golden age of PC gaming using modern game engine technology.

...naturally project fails.
I will add it regardless, it deserves to be mentioned
http://www.indiegogo.com/Project-Roxivia

Project Roxivia follows the development of an 3D Platformer RPG being created by PBat, AlgolGaming and his Wife, Nick Pittsinger and the rest of their team.

The game is currently in early development stages, but due to some life issues, a few team members had to drop, which forces us to hire new members in their place. This of course costs money, and money is something we are slightly short on. This is where you come in.

No fucking clue, but they have $13K/20K already.
Seems that Indiegogo is even more retarded than Kickstarter, the video is a still image and blah,blah, blah, I will ignore it for now.
http://www.indiegogo.com/maldit

I want this game to give similar experiences you get from Castlevania: SOTN and Demon's Souls. In short, it’s an extensive non-linear platform RPG, with some challenge and freedom.

A running armor, cute.

I've saved the best treat for last

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Arkh-Project

The Arkh Project is a group of amazing people getting together in an attempt to raise funds and create a video game completely off the beaten path. People of Color are often tokenized in video games, leaving them to play one of very few roles. Queer people are consistently left in the dust in meaningless relationships, or relationships that are mocked. We're looking to turn that upside down. This game is for people who don't get to be fantasy and sci-fi heroes! This game is to help normalize the millions of other people who play video games!

[..]

As you can see, the game needs a lot of money and a lot of support to get off the ground. But it will be worth it to show these companies that people are willing to put this out there. The coordinators of this project make no money. ALL money goes to support professional artists and programmers who are queer and/or of color.

Fully funded, of course!

(well, this first one at least.)

Great, Kickstarter is full of I haz graet idea gimme muney plz, Indiegogo instead seem a way to steal money from hippies.

Double Bear should hurry to release something soon if they don't want to lose to the competition, added.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Double Bear should hurry to release something soon if they don't want to lose to the competition, added.

Them as well as Obsidian need to wait for the WL2 (even Shadowrun) momentum to die down, as us backers need to to finally save some money again and stock our shelves with food again, so we can eat top ramen for a few more months when they put up the Dead State and Obsidian project and donate to them.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Them as well as Obsidian need to wait for the WL2 (even Shadowrun) momentum to die down, as us backers need to to finally save some money again and stock our shelves with food again, so we can eat top ramen for a few more months when they put up the Dead State and Obsidian project and donate to them.

May be. But it may as well be that they should actually hurry up before the real wave of me-too's hits us this summer. They still have an advantage of being somewhat known, but if their presentation is not convincing, they may dissappear in the competion.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I don't agree here, there are so many projects popping up, and it's not like we only have/want to support one or two games at any given time. Also since money gets taken at the end, even if they will start the kickstarter now, it will get charged halfway May. Waiting until Shadowrun is over is a mistake, summer holiday is coming up as well, they thould ignore other projects and just go ahead - who dares wins. It's not like it's a deadly competition out there.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Goddammit

Alright if we're doing this I want the revised edition of Hellas to be funded, and at this rate it's not going to be. Basically: Ancient Greeks in space (ie. a unique concept!!!!), rules for founding dynasties and changing the galaxy and shit (PCs are Jason and the Astronauts types and so are obligated to do all the trad hero stuff), aliens based on mythological monsters, blah blah blah. I know this one's good because the dude's made and released several kickstarter PNPRPGs already and Hellas has already had a first ediiton, which is now out of print, so the dude knows what he's doing.

Give money plox

The more I read up about it, the more I really want to throw my money at this one. The lineage system especially sounds neat. OTOH, I'm pretty tired of ramen now. :( $50 for a hard cover copy is reasonable but atm it's just too steep for me. I'll likely buy it after the KS, since they've already met their funding goal.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Goddammit

Alright if we're doing this I want the revised edition of Hellas to be funded, and at this rate it's not going to be. Basically: Ancient Greeks in space (ie. a unique concept!!!!), rules for founding dynasties and changing the galaxy and shit (PCs are Jason and the Astronauts types and so are obligated to do all the trad hero stuff), aliens based on mythological monsters, blah blah blah. I know this one's good because the dude's made and released several kickstarter PNPRPGs already and Hellas has already had a first ediiton, which is now out of print, so the dude knows what he's doing.

Give money plox

The more I read up about it, the more I really want to throw my money at this one. The lineage system especially sounds neat. OTOH, I'm pretty tired of ramen now. :( $50 for a hard cover copy is reasonable but atm it's just too steep for me. I'll likely buy it after the KS, since they've already met their funding goal.
???

udm

Arcane
Patron

Ah shit sorry I was thinking of Parsec when I thought about the funding goal. Apparently Hellas hasn't (late edit for clarity: hasn't met the funding goal that is). How embarrassing :oops:

This is what happens when you suffer from Kickstarter Browsing Burnout, also affectionately known as KBB.

Anyways mainstream developers are starting to take note of KS too. Prepare for epic, visceral shooters with plenty of Michael Bay action like this one:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/policewarfare/police-warfare

Imagine a game that draws inspiration from the large scale, multiplayer experience of a title such as Battlefield 3, and combines it with the cops and robbers style of Grant Theft Auto and HEAT. Welcome to POLICE WARFARE; a multiplayer first person shooter set in the world of armed robbery and law enforcement. Players will go toe-to-toe as either a member of the Los Angeles Police SWAT team, or the opposite side of the law, robbing banks as an armed gunman.

We're building a game similar to Battlefield 1943 in that it's a small but extremely high quality shooter built for digital download. Our focus is crafting a big experience in a small package, a bite-sized AAA if you will. Something that you can pick up and play for just a few minutes and have the same great experience as if you're sinking hundreds of hours into it.

Players will experience the gorgeous visuals, punchy sound design, and fluid controls they expect in a AAA FPS.

We've assembled a "special forces" team of experienced developers that will bring the world of Police Warfare to life. Members of the team have worked on games such as Far Cry 3, Gears Of War, Crysis 1/2, Assassin's Creed 2, Medal Of Honor: Airborne, Golden Eye, Killzone 2, and Grand Theft Auto 4. We've worked at companies such as Ubisoft, Epic Games, Electronic Arts and Crytek.

And what will we do without a screenshot concept art?

P8lpwYbC

Burning Bridges

I'm waiting for either Braben or Bell (Or both. Hah, right) to kickstart a new Elite. What's keeping them?

I wouldn't hold my breath for Braben. His recent record as a developer has been really bumpy.
He apparently pumped a lot of money into The Outsider (or is still?), and Elite 4 (?), without any clear vision that they ever get finished.
I don't get what he is doing. Possibly put more money from his own pocket in these projects than he could ever get through kickstarter.
They developed these games for years and never showed anything from them, except a few screens from The Outsider, and now it seems they silently cancelled everything.
But Elite 4 kickstarter would bring millions, that's for sure.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Braben wanted to do Elite 4 as an MMORPG at one point... That wasn't... a good idea.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Ah shit sorry I was thinking of Parsec when I thought about the funding goal. Apparently Hellas hasn't. How embarrassing :oops:
Considering that you cited it here Parsec page
Anyways mainstream developers are starting to take note of KS too. Prepare for epic, visceral shooters with plenty of Michael Bay action like this one:

Imagine a game that draws inspiration from the large scale, multiplayer experience of a title such as Battlefield 3, and combines it with the cops and robbers style of Grant Theft Auto and HEAT. Welcome to POLICE WARFARE; a multiplayer first person shooter set in the world of armed robbery and law enforcement. Players will go toe-to-toe as either a member of the Los Angeles Police SWAT team, or the opposite side of the law, robbing banks as an armed gunman.
:hmmm:
They don't even bothered with a demo, Republique at least has something functioning already, I will add it to the shit list.

Tigranes

Arcane
Dude knows how marketing works, 90% of all successful Hollywood pitches are "you know this show, and this other show? IMAGINE THEM... TOGETHER!"

Johannes

Arcane
Behold, the ULTIMATE ANTI-CODEX KICKSTARTER!

Seriously, this is what everyone here was afraid of: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

Developed by industry veterans behind AAA games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo,F.E.A.R., Kinect,and cutting edge videos like the Skyrim television spot and the iconic iPod “silhouette” ads, République represents a strategic alliance between Camouflaj and Logan to make an epic action game designed specifically for touch-based devices.
It is the ultimate realization of all the possible fears about Kickstarter: existing investment so they are beholden to people other than backers; hipsters galore; touch device only; 'explore heavy topics, say something meaningful'. Wow. You sort of have to read the whole thing to believe it. Have fun trolling/fighting off the urge to kill yourself.

Disclaimer: Do not donate money to this project. Ever. Seriously.
I don't see the problem - they seem to have their shit together (seems like they'll deliver what they're promising), and are basically collecting glorified preorders. If you don't like the sound of the game don't back it (I won't), but the real troubles of Kickstarter are projects that don't deliver on their promises, not projects that could be funded anyway, that's a non-issue.

If they want to make an iPad game by hipsters for hipsters, where's the harm in that?

Kz3r0

Arcane
I don't see the problem - they seem to have their shit together (seems like they'll deliver what they're promising), and are basically collecting glorified preorders. If you don't like the sound of the game don't back it (I won't), but the real troubles of Kickstarter are projects that don't deliver on their promises, not projects that could be funded anyway, that's a non-issue.

If they want to make an iPad game by hipsters for hipsters, where's the harm in that?
Thy are asking for half the budget, the fear is that Kickstarter becomes a way for cutting costs while the publisher still has the last word.
Also, this:
Books like 1984 have served as key sources of inspiration not only for the narrative, but also the core gameplay. In République, players become Big Brother: Hope’s protector
Evidently the Big Brother they are talking about is the one from the TV show.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Has no one pitched doing a "classic" FPS game? That has me a bit baffled.

Not Kickstarter, but you may be interested to know one of the former lead developers of Skulltag is working on this project called Wrack.

Anyway I backed Hellas. I want to see this project get through.

Burning Bridges

I nominate this for the greatest fail so far: http://www.indiegogo.com/Malevolence

47h left, 1.373$

Quite a dissappointing result for a team "of over thirty people, all working for the past two years to bring the realm of Akranox to life". When the kickstarter ends, they would receive like, 45$ per man.

Perhaps, advertising a game as having turn based combat while videos clearly show that it's real time, is not the best way to do it.

kingcomrade22

Educated
The real shame about Kickstarter is that they had to go back to Wasteland. I'm as happy as anyone that Wasteland led to Fallout, but let's be honest. Fallout is the game we loved.

Johannes

Arcane
The real shame about Kickstarter is that they had to go back to Wasteland. I'm as happy as anyone that Wasteland led to Fallout, but let's be honest. Fallout is the game we loved.
Yeah this game has the WRONG NAME, what ever shall we do

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom