Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Goddammit

Alright if we're doing this I want the revised edition of Hellas to be funded, and at this rate it's not going to be. Basically: Ancient Greeks in space (ie. a unique concept!!!!), rules for founding dynasties and changing the galaxy and shit (PCs are Jason and the Astronauts types and so are obligated to do all the trad hero stuff), aliens based on mythological monsters, blah blah blah.
Give money plox
Sounds like it's somewhat influenced by Ilium/Olympos duology by Dan Simmons, so not that unique. Interesting, sure. I'll think about donating.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Behold, the ULTIMATE ANTI-CODEX KICKSTARTER!

Seriously, this is what everyone here was afraid of: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

Developed by industry veterans behind AAA games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo,F.E.A.R., Kinect,and cutting edge videos like the Skyrim television spot and the iconic iPod “silhouette” ads, République represents a strategic alliance between Camouflaj and Logan to make an epic action game designed specifically for touch-based devices.
It is the ultimate realization of all the possible fears about Kickstarter: existing investment so they are beholden to people other than backers; hipsters galore; touch device only; 'explore heavy topics, say something meaningful'. Wow. You sort of have to read the whole thing to believe it. Have fun trolling/fighting off the urge to kill yourself.

Disclaimer: Do not donate money to this project. Ever. Seriously.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sadly they do have a nice idea, good concept art and a great collectors edittion...they will probably get this funded. If only their hearts were in the right place...:(

Kz3r0

Arcane
Behold, the ULTIMATE ANTI-CODEX KICKSTARTER!

Seriously, this is what everyone here was afraid of: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

Developed by industry veterans behind AAA games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo,F.E.A.R., Kinect,and cutting edge videos like the Skyrim television spot and the iconic iPod “silhouette” ads, République represents a strategic alliance between Camouflaj and Logan to make an epic action game designed specifically for touch-based devices.
It is the ultimate realization of all the possible fears about Kickstarter: existing investment so they are beholden to people other than backers; hipsters galore; touch device only; 'explore heavy topics, say something meaningful'. Wow. You sort of have to read the whole thing to believe it. Have fun trolling/fighting off the urge to kill yourself.

Disclaimer: Do not donate money to this project. Ever. Seriously.
Books like 1984 have served as key sources of inspiration not only for the narrative, but also the core gameplay. In République, players become Big Brother:
:hmmm:
And they advertise voyeurism and control as key features.
Is this a stalking game?
Added immediately.

Alex

Arcane
Hey look guys! A kickstarter for the Ogre tabletop game Mr. Jackson promised last year! That is going to be grea...

Steve Jackson Games said:
(US only. At this time, our bids for shipping are so high that we are not offering foreign shipping on games.)
:x:x:rage:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hey look guys! A kickstarter for the Ogre tabletop game Mr. Jackson promised last year! That is going to be grea...

Steve Jackson Games said:
(US only. At this time, our bids for shipping are so high that we are not offering foreign shipping on games.)

Also, Steve Jackson is still like that? FFS sake, I feel like watching a 1990 video...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oooh, ogre. I'd pledge for a copy of that. I'd even pay semi-exorbitant shipping. Shame he doesn't want my money.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oooh, ogre. I'd pledge for a copy of that. I'd even pay semi-exorbitant shipping. Shame he doesn't want my money.
Yeah, one would think a 30-years old game company would know how to do handle international shipping and to respect the european market...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm also finding this stupid. There are 300 million potential buyers in Europe plus hundreds of millions in the rest of the world. Why let that slip through your fingers?

Alex

Arcane
I don't know, the last time I tried buying board games from abroad, I ended up paying more on taxes and shipping charges than on the games themselves. And on Kickstarter, the shipping costs would cut into the raised money (although, since they are funded already, maybe they will change the rules later). Still, DwarvenFood, thanks for the heads up about bookdepository.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't know, the last time I tried buying board games from abroad, I ended up paying more on taxes and shipping charges than on the games themselves. And on Kickstarter, the shipping costs would cut into the raised money (although, since they are funded already, maybe they will change the rules later). Still, DwarvenFood, thanks for the heads up about bookdepository.

Amen to that. Just had a look at it. Great site - I love the free worldwide delivery, and it's a huge plus point that it has very reasonable prices.

Anyway it's disappointing SJ's going to exclude shipping to a significant part of the world; OTOH, I'm pretty excited by this part in the FAQ:

What about Car Wars?
Once Ogre is on store shelves we'll take what we learned and look at Car Wars. But not as a part of THIS project . . . !

I'll back the shit out of a new Car Wars, regardless of how much the shipping will cost, if he finally takes fan feedback into consideration.

Burning Bridges

On the other hand, even if they don't want your kickstarter pledge, you can still order it later, for whatever price it costs including shipping.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Found this yesterday:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967856643/dark-meridian?ref=category

It looks like Savage 1 and 2 (but closer to 2), and those 2 games were :incline: . So yeah, basically a mix of RPG, RTS and TPS, where you equip your character with enchanted items, then lead your squad and issue orders while participating in the action yourself. Actually, the strategy component really reminds me of Sacrifice. There are destructible buildings and defenses, and for an indie game, it looks decent. It doesn't come close to AAA titles' production values, but it looks like a fun game. The video on their KS page actually shows that they've made quite a lot of progress.

They're asking for $250k though, which is a bit too excessive for an indie studio that nobody's heard of, and their marketing department is pretty quiet. If I hadn't been randomly browsing Kickstarter, I wouldn't even have known about the existence of this project.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The ammount of projects jumping to kickstarter to get some extra money for their vaporwares or nearrly-finished games is insane, I'm starting to get burned out (and out of money) with all this projects poping up, and it's been little more than a month since Double Fine started all this revolution...

Burning Bridges

As much as I concur with the idea of new games in all genres, there are already 1000s of real time games of this kind. But how many games do we have with turn based gameplay, isometric graphics, old school mechanics, and relatively open worlds, not developed by second rate developers on second rate engines? And with respect to the example above, without ugly UI elements and other hallmarks of the decline?

Until only a month ago, and still replaying Jagged Alliance 2 for the twentieth time, I asked myself why no 1st rate developer has the guts to go in this direction. I mean none at all?

Now with Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun, in addition to the already ongoing Xenonauts, we have three (with Banner Saga perhaps, even four) potential games of this type coming out in the future.

And do you realize what it would be like to play such games with a first rate engine possible in 2012, and genuinely fresh ideas?

That's why I hope that the effort is concentrated on supporting those games, first of all.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Is what "the girl that ran away" said confidential or something? It says "This post is for Backers (only)". I'm kinda interested on what she has to say. If it's not against some terms or regulations, please share the no doubt hilarious post of hers with the rest of the class.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Is what "the girl that ran away" said confidential or something? It says "This post is for Backers (only)". I'm kinda interested on what she has to say. If it's not against some terms or regulations, please share the no doubt hilarious post of hers with the rest of the class.
It's a reference to this:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ickstarter-that-ran-off-with-the-money.71011/
Someone should bugger some of the backers to get their opinions and refer what she has to say.

Burning Bridges

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
For... reason or another, I've had a look at the world outside of Kickstarter.

http://www.indiegogo.com/Malevolence

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox is an indie game development project founded out of Brisbane, Australia and is involving over 30 people from all over the world in places like California, Scotland, Great Britain, New Zealand, and more. The aim is to recreate the amazing turn-based, first person RPGs from the golden age of PC gaming using modern game engine technology.

...naturally project fails.

http://www.indiegogo.com/Project-Roxivia

Project Roxivia follows the development of an 3D Platformer RPG being created by PBat, AlgolGaming and his Wife, Nick Pittsinger and the rest of their team.

The game is currently in early development stages, but due to some life issues, a few team members had to drop, which forces us to hire new members in their place. This of course costs money, and money is something we are slightly short on. This is where you come in.

No fucking clue, but they have $13K/20K already.

http://www.indiegogo.com/maldit

I want this game to give similar experiences you get from Castlevania: SOTN and Demon's Souls. In short, it’s an extensive non-linear platform RPG, with some challenge and freedom.

I've saved the best treat for last

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Arkh-Project

The Arkh Project is a group of amazing people getting together in an attempt to raise funds and create a video game completely off the beaten path. People of Color are often tokenized in video games, leaving them to play one of very few roles. Queer people are consistently left in the dust in meaningless relationships, or relationships that are mocked. We're looking to turn that upside down. This game is for people who don't get to be fantasy and sci-fi heroes! This game is to help normalize the millions of other people who play video games!

[..]

As you can see, the game needs a lot of money and a lot of support to get off the ground. But it will be worth it to show these companies that people are willing to put this out there. The coordinators of this project make no money. ALL money goes to support professional artists and programmers who are queer and/or of color.

Fully funded, of course!

(well, this first one at least.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom