Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Kickstarter was not worth it studios would be using their own site to raise funds.

It gives visibility to "small" projects. More than 19% of Larian's total pledge amount comes from being featured in Discover and Popular sections.

Star Citizen is the elephant in the room.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Kickstarter was not worth it studios would be using their own site to raise funds.

It gives visibility to "small" projects. More than 19% of Larian's total pledge amount comes from being featured in Discover and Popular sections.

Not necessarily. As I said, small projects benefits from KS' traffic and credibility. Just look at all the pledges Larian got by people just browsing KS.
On the other hand, huge projects like Star Citizen or Torment could do without their help. But they can still thank kickstarter because they wouldn't be crowdsourcing now if KS didn't prove it possible in the first place.

InXile considered going on their own for Torment. Maybe Brother None can tell us why they chose to stick with it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Not necessarily. As I said, small projects benefits from KS' traffic and credibility. Just look at all the pledges Larian got by people just browsing KS.
On the other hand, huge projects like Star Citizen or Torment could do without their help. But they can still thank kickstarter because they wouldn't be crowdsourcing now if KS didn't prove it possible in the first place.

InXile considered going on their own for Torment. Maybe Brother None can tell us why they chose to stick with it.

They ARE going on their own: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge

It's just not receiving as much prominence as the Kickstarter site. But that could change in the future.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are you having a brain stroke right now? They are not going on their own their are setting a PayPal account for those who can't pledge on KS. All their communication is KS related, all their links are to the KS page, they talk about breaking KS record all the time. Their campaign was definitely not aimed at their PayPal page.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying they can't or should not do without KS, and I also think more and more big projects will follow Star Citizen's example.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
All their communication is KS related, all their links are to the KS page, they talk about breaking KS record all the time. Their campaign was definitely not aimed at their PayPal page.

Like I said, it's not receiving as much prominence.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying they can't or should not do without KS, and I also think more and more big projects will follow Star Citizen's example.

My guess is that you'll see a transition period, with shorter and shorter Kickstarter campaigns followed up by longer independent fundraisers.

kaizoku

Arcane
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game?ref=category

Worlds of Magic is a genuine spiritual successor to the classic fantasy 4X games, with a D20 inspired tactical combat system!
It follows in the footsteps of the game that, in many ways, defined the fantasy 4X genre: MicroProse's Master of Magic.

Your armies can be made up of units you've trained, heroes and mercenaries you've hired, and even powerful summoned creatures. When two enemy armies collide gameplay is moved to the tactical battle map where combat is played out turn by turn. During gameplay you will also reasearch new spells, manage your economy, and deal with diplomatic situations all in an attempt to gain supreme control of the universe.

Worlds of Magic will not only seek to capture the charm of the timeless classic that serves as its inspiration, but also go beyond it in a number of areas.
10 Leaders To Choose From (Or Create Your Own)
6 Factions To Rule Over
80 Units To Use In Battle
12 Spell Circles
300 Spells To Learn And Master
7 Planes To Explore And Conquer
45 Special Units (Heroes, Champions, and Titans)

:yeah:

edit: slowpoke detects he's a slowpoke
thread here http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-worlds-of-magic-thread.81221/

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Why go 3D graphics? Looks like shit to me. MoM has much better aesthetics.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Removed Gambitious from the banner section for its irrelevance.

Data4

Arcane
It's Indiegogo rather than KS, but what the heck. This reminded me of the Redwall novels and might be a neat little whimsical departure from the srs biz of the day.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale

20130209092437-ghost_06.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This looks like that one older Playstation game, where this girl runs around in a dark environment and has a camera. Name is escaping me though.

GhostBadger

Yeah that's it. I never did play it though. Just saw a few trailers for it.

I played the first Fatal Frame, excellent creepy atmosphere but the camera-as-weapon was a bitch. At least for me it was hard to work it when the spooky shit was going down.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/08/pr-...ter-service-to-fledgling-studios/#more-356115

PR firm offering “Kickstarter Service” to fledgling studios​
Kickstarter can be a bit of a minefield for developers if they don’t orchestrate their campaign properly, or push out a naff product. San Francisco PR team Indie Developer Consulting has created a package that can help studios get the most out of their crowd-funding efforts.​

It’s not a free service however, although prices haven’t been made public as-yet. Some may argue that the money would be better spent on the campaign itself, but read the list of package features below and judge for yourself.​

IDC helps you with copywriting of text, pictures and incentives on your KickStarter project page.​
IDC writes, and sends out, an unlimited number of press releases during your campaign to the worldwide press to promote all updates on your project page, and to generate traffic and pledges for you.​
IDC contacts VIP press worldwide to get you exclusive developer interviews and special attention by press to hit the front-page news to generate traffic to your campaign websites, and other game-related websites you may have.​
IDC are available to you 7 days a week by phone, Skype and Email to consult and advise you on how to become successful in your campaign.​
IDC are available to you 7 days a week during the entire campaign to answer any questions you may have concerning your Business, PR, and Marketing needs​
IDC always provide you with their honest opinion about your chances of success, the quality of your project, and consults you on your studios short-term and long-term plans in the industry based on your existing portfolio and active campaign.​

So what do you think? Is this a potentially invaluable service for developers trying to make a name for themselves on Kickstarter, or is it unnecessary spending? Let us know below.​

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
DAT page... how can you sell PR consulting when you can't even design a proper homepage for your service? That shit looks like it's made on geocities...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom