Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Nm6k

Scholar
Man I remember playing King Arthur The Role-playing Wargame all the time when I was a child nice to see that the studio is still around.

Jinn

Arcane
So this is exiting Early Access in two days. I'm a little fearful for its success. It feels like something that is very much so going to fly under the radar, despite possibly being a solid title. I'm definitely interested in it. Anyone who has it already planning on playing it day one? Would be very thankful for and eagerly awaiting first impressions.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1157390/view/3185743194331841676

Full Release Tomorrow - Launch Trailer - Fextralife Announcement
Knights,

The final day! 24 hours (give or take 1-2) remain! The full game will come out tomorrow on Steam, the plan is to update things around 7PM CEST.

A few notes:

The Kickstarter backer rewards will be distributed in the coming days (this might take a day or two), but you'll get everything you're eligible to via email, similar to the Steam keys. Make sure to check your account regularly, or if you lost access to it in the meantime, reach out to us over at support@neocoregames.com.

If you already added the game to your Steam library, the game will automatically update from Early Access to the full release when it is up. Restarting Steam could help if it is not updating.

Your Early Access save files most likely won't work for the full release. This is unfortunate, we know, and we're really sorry about it, but many things have changed in the whole game and old save files might break things quickly. We wouldn't recommend using old save files anyway, due to the amount of changes implemented - things break easily in game development.

We also have a few more cool things and announcements in our pockets:

iSx6jcm.jpg

We're happy to share with you that Cas from Fextralife will be voicing Sir Lancelot in Knight's Tale! You might know Fextralife from their amazing wikis, guide, YouTube and Twitch channels, and you'll be able to meet Cas in Avalon too.

We have a new trailer, just in time for the release, the folks over at IGN have it. You can watch it here:

And finally, we'll do a developer Q&A stream on Wednesday 4PM CEST, be sure to join us as we check out the full release, talk about the game, the development and most importantly: answer your questions. If you already have some questions in mind, you can submit them over here[docs.google.com], or just hang out in the Twitch chat and send them there while we're streaming. Alternatively, you can find us on our Discord too.

Avalon awaits!

Acrux

Arcane
I'm hoping they reduce the GB size significantly (or that the specs on Steam are just way off). It's currently listed at 120 GB, which I can only assume means it's a very unoptimized game.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm hoping they reduce the GB size significantly (or that the specs on Steam are just way off). It's currently listed at 120 GB, which I can only assume means it's a very unoptimized game.
what, you don't like downloading 80gb of 4k textures you won't ever use?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1157390/view/3185743194334922039

Knight's Tale Release Time

Knights!

The wait is over soon, so prepare yourself, the journey in Avalon is about to begin:

Knight's Tale launches today at 7 PM CEST.

Until then, come and join the game's official Discord. Whether you have questions or just want learn more about the game, you will be at the right place. You are busy? Don't worry, we will do a developer Q&A stream tomorrow at 4 PM CEST which will be recorded as well. If you have some questions, you can submit them here so you can catch up really quickly!

Avalon awaits!

Codex Year of the Donut
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1157390/view/3185743194334922039

Knight's Tale Release Time

Knights!

The wait is over soon, so prepare yourself, the journey in Avalon is about to begin:

Knight's Tale launches today at 7 PM CEST.

Until then, come and join the game's official Discord. Whether you have questions or just want learn more about the game, you will be at the right place. You are busy? Don't worry, we will do a developer Q&A stream tomorrow at 4 PM CEST which will be recorded as well. If you have some questions, you can submit them here so you can catch up really quickly!

Avalon awaits!
That'd be 4 hours from the time of this post.

Codex Year of the Donut
Dev comment on Steam said:
The expected installed size of Knight's Tale will be 122 GB. This is a size we reached after fully compressing and packing everything as much as possible.

:what:
He's lying.
The compressed size is ~40GiB, the textures are all uncompressed.

https://steamdb.info/depot/1157391/
ZPrOjCG.png

dds isn't a compressed image format like png or jpeg, it's a container format for various texture encodings.
If you're on windoze, I'd recommend enabling transparent compression on the game's directory.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/posts/3491247

OUT NOW ON STEAM

Knights,

The gates of Camelot are opening, and we would like to extend our thanks to everyone who helped making this possible.

First of all, thanks to every Kickstarter backer who supported us from the very beginning and made the game a reality. Thanks to our Early Access players who joined us when we took our first steps in Avalon and sent us invaluable feedback during these months to help making Knight's Tale better. Thanks to the Beta testers who provided input on the fights you're yet to fight. And many-many thanks to you specifically, for taking the time to read this short message and taking up arms against the Once and Future King.

PATCH NOTES
We have the 1.0 patch notes over here, if you'd like to dig deep into the details.

But just to summarize things briefly, the 1.0 version of the game features the following:
  • The complete campaign in four story acts
  • More than thirty playable heroes of five different classes
  • More than fifty unique missions
  • Seven different enemy factions with more than fifty types of enemies
  • Fully upgradable Camelot
  • Complete Morality Chart with four alignments and unique rewards
  • High level endgame, unlocked after finishing the story
  • Steam achievements

DEV Q&A STREAM
Come and join the game's official Discord. We will do a developer Q&A stream tomorrow (April 27th) at 4 PM CEST on Twitch, which will be recorded as well. If you have some questions, you can submit them here so you can catch up really quickly!

BACKER REWARDS
You might be wondering the state of the Kickstarter digital rewards. You might have already received some of them, but there are a few items that will be dispatched at release or a bit later this week, depending on a few factors. In any case, we're finally ready to share more details about these rewards.

354ecbfbf0684cdfffcd7464322d05d3_original.png

Any reward with future DLC:

Naturally, if you're eligible, you will receive them as they will be made in the future in form of a Steam key. Check back occasionally to see more updates about extra content for King Arthur: Knight's Tale. The adventure is far from over!

Extra digital copies:

Theoretically, if you're eligible, you might have already received these, but please let us know if you haven't!

Patron of the Arts (and above)
  • A massive, 220-page Art Book - a PDF including concept art, cinematic stills, portraits, backgrounds and early sketches, as well as a short "Legacy" section, art from our older King Arthur games.
  • Digital soundtrack of the game by veteran composer Gergely Buttinger.

Loremaster (and above)
  • A detailed world map.
  • A 170-page, short story collection "Chronicles of Avalon" with 9 exciting short stories (including a prologue to the Storm and an epilogue that connects the stories with the game) by acclaimed Hungarian fantasy authors - Balázs Farkas, Gábor Izsóf, Viktor Juhász, Ágnes Körmendi, Csilla Kleinheincz, Áron Németh, Bogi Takács and László Tamásfi. Illustrated by Anikó Salamon and László Vida.
The above rewards will be e-mailed to you shortly. The only exception would be the soundtrack, as we're looking into adding it as a limited DLC on Steam for convenience, and this might take a bit more time to publish on Steam. But we're happy to confirm that these rewards are already finished, and coming very shortly!

If you don't receive your rewards or maybe your name didn't show up in the credits - if anything might be missing after a few days, please contact us and we will get back to you as soon as possible! If you have any feedback about the game, any technical issues you experience, please let us know as well, we'll be updating the game according to feedback periodically.

And finally, again, we would like to thank you for your support, we hope you enjoy King Arthur: Knight's Tale!

To Avalon!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay, just watched the release trailer. This looks sexy as HELL. Hard not to get a little hyped, gotta say

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I bought it. I don't think I'm gonna have a lotta time to play it extensively anytime soon, but I'll share my thoughts when I do. If it's excellent, I might even review it. But no foregone conclusions, it might be way worse than it looks. Most of these tactical RPGs look pretty decent but turn out to be trash

notpl

Arbiter
Okay, just watched the release trailer. This looks sexy as HELL. Hard not to get a little hyped, gotta say
Very little interest on the codex for it seems sad, this looks like RPGOTY material.
Enemies look like they have way too much health/way too many trash enemies in general from all the video I've seen, which is death in a turn-based strategy game. Still going to try it but I anticipate being bored to tears 1/5 of the way through.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I only have a 110GB SSD that I specifically leave aside 100% for games. When did games become this huge? Last time was LOTR: War in the North I think because of all the audio.

Inconvenient. Gonna have ot buy a new SSD. I've got a tradtional drive with 250GB free, but you can't play anything these days unless it's on an SSD.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Bought and downloaded in 20 minutes, because I don't live in first world and thus have a decent internet connection and more than 100GB solid state drive. I hope this provides more fun than that boring wh40k hns.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Played the intro, all I have time for today. So not many impressions, but I did notice that it has facing in 8 directions (like Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, obligatory ERYFKRAD, Nortar and Zed Duke of Banville tags), which tbh after playing Naheulbeuk I feel like would benefit almost every single squad-based tactical RPG in existence. Since you always hit (deterministic like Darth Roxor said, though variance in damage so no obligatory lukaszek tag), facing doesn't affect hit chance, and instead seems to primarily determine two things: whether you backstab for extra damage, and, more interestingly, whether a target gets to block with his shield.

Actives are very Naheulbeuk/X-COM like in that you don't have or get too many (2 to start, quickly upgrade to three and then you finish off with something like 7 I think), and they are cooldown based. The skills system also seems fairly simple and again comparisons to Naheulbeuk seem apt, as you spend skill points either to get one of your few actives, upgrade an active, or acquire a passive bonus.

Characters have two hit point pools like in Pillars of Eternity; hit points and vitality, with only damage to the latter leading to potential injury. Characters have traits (which I expect to be randomised on random chars), which I noticed because one of my 2 starting guys needed 2 skill points to unlock his third active, while the other only needed one (derived from one of his four traits; the Talented trait). Some traits were negative, like Stubborn. It also seems to be based on an X-COMish system with regards to missions: damage is healed periodically by staying at the Hospice building in your base while you bring other characters to missions. Your guys can be used passively to bolster these buildings, which the Traits also tie into (one of my guys was better suited to manning the Hospice, for instance).

There's an entire base-building system obviously, which I didn't get to delve into.

I had very positive first impressions from graphics, music and mood, which seemed to be in line with the King Arthur strategy games (which had excellent atmosphere and world building). Very somber and dark, but less in the GRRM low fantasy style and more in the vein of something like The Witcher - or perhaps, for a perhaps obscure but even more poignant reference: the movie The Green Knight, which is an excellent weird take on arthurian lore which is closer to the King Arthur games than the fairy tale mood of the original saga. Lots of outlandish and brutal mythical logic, weird rules and aberrations.

Also, story picks up straight from the end of the last King Arthur game, however with enough context provided that it doesn't seem like you should be worried if you haven't played those games.

Definetely *could* be a GOTY candidate for me if the depth is there, but obviously the above impressions are barely impressions. More like a glance.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom