Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

CoronerZg

Augur
or if there was more then 4 court slots for aspiring heroes
There is unlimited number of slots for aspiring heroes. After 4 you get the scroll bar.

Merlin is the cool bro tho. Going with your mother instead is pretty weak :p
I use Merlin in my Christian run and it still works well (maxed loyalty and all).

notpl

Arbiter
Mommy Morgawse is the most fun character in the roster, her abilities fucking rule.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This game is amazing for the only fact that there is no other way of getting Relic Dust than being a Christian Tyrant. I hope they patch that problem somehow.
You get Sir Ector so early that you can max his loyalty even as a greenpeace old faith hippie. And even if he hates you, his loyalty doesn't affect his ability to generate relic dust.
In the latest version people get negative loyalty for having different religions and affinity. You go for old fate lion,he could get pissed,tho i keep him at green still.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This game is amazing for the only fact that there is no other way of getting Relic Dust than being a Christian Tyrant. I hope they patch that problem somehow.
You get Sir Ector so early that you can max his loyalty even as a greenpeace old faith hippie. And even if he hates you, his loyalty doesn't affect his ability to generate relic dust.
In the latest version people get negative loyalty for having different religions and affinity.

That was always the case, but most of them you can keep at max loyalty with some work anyway.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Well no Merlin or Morgawse for me either way, it's highly likely Sir Ector is going to be my only magician this run.

Sir Kay- A team
Lady Dindraine- A team
Sir Balan- A team
Sir Ector- B team
Sir Tegyr- B team
Sir Pelleas- lowl level
Lady Guinevere- B team
Sir Leodegrance- low level
White Knight- low level
Sir Lucan- B team
Sir Percivale- B team

Starting to get my ass kicked quite a bit in this new act, last mission alone my A team came back with multiple injuries and almost completely depleted vitality.
It's clear I'm going to have to rotate people a lot more then I was doing, can imagine this game gets brutal on higher difficulties.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Aye, that and a support sage to heal debuffs and status effects is what I'm missing the most atm.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Let's just say I am starting to understand why people say marskmen fall off.
The first relic i found was OP for archers early game, did a flat 12 damage and buffed fire attacks, she used to kick ass versus human and zombie tier enemies.

The problem is i'm now fighting fairies who toss out aoe spells and debuffs with abundance, and who sport good defences so the poor archer waifu can't keep up in the damage race.
At least my champions can dish out crazy dps, their problem is just getting into melee range and not being neutered by enemy cc, champions are wrecking balls when they get going but that means nothing if they are blinded or frozen.

notpl

Arbiter
Yeah, you really need to pamper your champions for the first turn or two of combat, keep the enemy from disabling them and soften up a few enemies to feed the champ easy kills on turn 2 or 3 and get his pain train out of the station.

Harthwain

Magister
Having Lady Dindu, or any archer, on your A-team is pretty suspicious.
You can make them work up to Act III. After that they drop sharply. Before that it's useful to have at least one Marksman, if you can't bring in an Arcanist, because having ranged damage can be very useful to get these situational attacks where you need them, and to soften enemies up before the lines are joined.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sir Kay- A team
Lady Dindraine- A team
Sir Balan- A team
Sir Ector- B team
Sir Tegyr- B team
Sir Pelleas- lowl level
Lady Guinevere- B team
Sir Leodegrance- low level
White Knight- low level
Sir Lucan- B team
Sir Percivale- B team

Starting to get my ass kicked quite a bit in this new act, last mission alone my A team came back with multiple injuries and almost completely depleted vitality.
It's clear I'm going to have to rotate people a lot more then I was doing, can imagine this game gets brutal on higher difficulties.
Use Guinevere, or another sage although she's the best at this, for the Inspire and Bless abilities that will boost your damage-dealers. By this point, you should also have powerful items to boost your vanguard and champion; keep an eye on relics, such as the teleportation ring if you don't have already have it for your champion.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don’t listen to Fandatomat, he clearly has no clue what he’s talking about. Mages are by no means necessary in this game and certainly not for DPS where they lose out by miles to Vanguards and Champions (the latter will even do more AoE damage). A few of the mages have good DPS builds (notably Merlin’s fire build), but in general the class is sort of a jack-of-all-trades, bringing a good amount of control and damage. Ector is the most mediocre of the bunch, but he can do an OK Merlin-impression and his hexes are good.

Ector‘s fireball is excellent by the time you get it, but Arcanists are by no means necessary even on the hardest difficulty - I only had Ector on my first run - but they are very fun. In fact, they‘re the most fun class in the game. Fanta saying “you need a rounded team” and you’re a retard for only bringing Ector is hilarious given that one morality path (Christian Tyrant) is basically engineered so you don’t get more Arcanists than Ector. And you can do just fine with that.

Marksmen are crap - the size of the balance gap between them and any other class gap is humongous. Using them is a self-imposed challenge. You can certainly do some stuff with them, but they’re strictly inferior in every way to all other classes.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
While Arcanists are fun, I did beat the game as a Christian Tyrant with only Ector on Ironman difficulty, so they are by no means a mandatory class. If anything, I find Defenders and Champions to be too good to pass on (first for controlling the battlefield, the second for killing everything). So my advice would be: always take a Defender and a Champion. You can fill the rest of slots however you wish.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I find Defenders and Champions to be too good to pass on (first for controlling the battlefield, the second for killing everything)

Defenders are great (and downright necessary) in Chapter 1 and very good for the first half of Chapter 2, but after that I only used one because I liked Mordred and Red Knight. Offense starts to overtake defense at that point

EDIT: However for anyone not having a good grasp of the game I'd definetely recommend bringing a Defender on all runs, throughout the game. They're fantastic for patching holes in your game plan (which is why I also used one for the entirety of the game, since I get impatient and make mistakes and Defenders can patch those up)

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
While Christians get all the Vanguards, as a Righteous-Cthulhu I had my pick of Aracanists.
And Merilin is the best Arcanist hands down.
With both AoE damage spells and lots of CC he's a freaking powerhouse.

Many of his spells work with fire effects and all that Burning snowballs (hehe) into huge damage.

splcQqh.png

My Sage was Lady Guinevere, and while she lacked Morgawse potential for damage, she coule build Ice Walls and buff everyone's APs just perfectly.
I never fielded a Defender if Mordred was available, so most of the time. And the only thing I missed from Defender's kit is Taunt.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
While Christians get all the Vanguards, as a Righteous-Cthulhu I had my pick of Aracanists.
And Merilin is the best Arcanist hands down.
With both AoE damage spells and lots of CC he's a freaking powerhouse.

Many of his spells work with fire effects and all that Burning snowballs (hehe) into huge damage.

splcQqh.png

My Sage was Lady Guinevere, and while she lacked Morgawse potential for damage, she coule build Ice Walls and buff everyone's APs just perfectly.
I never fielded a Defender if Mordred was available, so most of the time. And the only thing I missed from Defender's kit is Taunt.

Morg has Ice Walls as well :P she was easily the hero straining my skill points the most. But you can't really compare Morgawse to other Sages IMO. Sage's primary ability is AP buffing but Morgawse doesn't have that. She just has unparalleled AoE-control instead. You could easily build good teams with both a normal Sage and Morgawse both.

Galahad is arguably better than Mordred BTW. All the same Defender strengths but a fucking AP buff (on a Defender!) on top of that. It's incredible.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Morg has Ice Walls as well :P she was easily the hero straining my skill points the most. But you can't really compare Morgawse to other Sages IMO. Sage's primary ability is AP buffing but Morgawse doesn't have that. She just has unparalleled AoE-control instead. You could easily build good teams with both a normal Sage and Morgawse both.

Galahad is arguably better than Mordred BTW. All the same Defender strengths but a fucking AP buff (on a Defender!) on top of that. It's incredible.

I know she has it, that's why I mentioned it.

Have not tried Galahad, as he's locked behind the alignment morality chart.
But Lady B, being a Vanguard, has AP buff as well, a bit limited though.

It's a good game design when different characters seem powerful enough to allow different but equally viable team compositions.
A rare sight nowaways.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I know she has it, that's why I mentioned it.

Have not tried Galahad, as he's locked behind the alignment morality chart.
But Lady B, being a Vanguard, has AP buff as well, a bit limited though.

It's a good game design when different characters seem powerful enough to allow different but equally viable team compositions.
A rare sight nowaways.

Yeah the character design is really good for the most part

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Mask's Guide to Events

A Curse Unbroken = Old Faith
A Cliff of Regrets = Old Faith
A Natural Order = Arcanist/ Sage
A Strange Invitation = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
Beast of the Waxing Moon = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
Blood Money = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
Calamity in Spring = Arcanist/ Sage
Drillmaster = Defender/ Champion
Forsaken Legacy = Arcanist/ Sage
Grim Decision = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
Minstrel in Distress = 1. Option Defender/ Champion 2. Option Arcanist/ Sage 3. Option Marksman/ Vanguard
Marauders no More = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
Rite of the Everspring = Old Faith
Sir Alun, the Marauding Knight = Defender/ Champion
Shadows from the Past = Arcanist/ Sage
Shadows of the Cross = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
Song of Damnation = Female
Talented Brigands = Marksman/ Vanguard
The Questing Beast = Defender/ Champion
The Wild Hunt Approaches = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
The Wild Hunt Unleashed = Anything seems to work (perhaps not too low level?)
Unwanted Admirer = Male
First Treasure of… = Arcanist/ Sage
Second Treasure of... = Marksman/ Vanguard
Third Treasure of... = Christian
Fourth Treasure of... = Tyrant

I *may* be wrong a few, especially the ones where I speculate about the level difference to Mordred. If this is true, let me know and I may edit my post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom