Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

Angriph

Novice
What's the codex consensus on this game? Worth picking up? I like my Thomas Malory but I am not convinced by the reviews and the looks of its systems. What other RPG could it be compared to? :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I like my Thomas Malory
You can forget all that with this game. It does it's own thing (not bad, just very different).

Yes and no. While it certainly is a completely insane post-apocalyptic Camelot with almost no direct ties to Malory (or other poems about Arthur), it is very clear that the writers have actually read Malory and other Arthurian poems extensively. Unlike most modern depictions of Arthurian legends, Knight's Tale actually uses a lot of the very broad cast of characters and even implements their historic traits into gameplay - most famously lulzily by giving Guinevere the 'Disloyal' trait :-D (there are also more subtle implementations)

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played like 2 big missions, and like 6 side missions so far, and the game is pretty solid. I'm a bit iffed about trap detection, but it's probably because I'm really low level.

Otherwise, I'm having fun.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What's the codex consensus on this game? Worth picking up? I like my Thomas Malory but I am not convinced by the reviews and the looks of its systems. What other RPG could it be compared to? :)
It's a good squad-based tactics game, although there are even better recent alternatives such as Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children or Dungeon of Naheulbeuk. The greatest deficiency is that it becomes a tad repetitive by the fourth act, with two of the six classes falling by the wayside due to becoming relatively underpowered, while the player will tend to rely on similar tactics in nearly every encounter. Starts out better, though, and you should have a lot of fun with it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's a good squad-based tactics game, although there are even better recent alternatives such as Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children or Dungeon of Naheulbeuk. The greatest deficiency is that it becomes a tad repetitive by the fourth act, with two of the six classes falling by the wayside due to becoming relatively underpowered, while the player will tend to rely on similar tactics in nearly every encounter. Starts out better, though, and you should have a lot of fun with it.

Only marksman falls to the wayside. Rest are fine.

I do agree that the fourth act is the weakest, though.

Angriph

Novice

Angriph

Novice
I see now that it is a genre I had pretty much ignored (probably unfairly) in favor of full adventure RPG. Wishlisting the other two for future play.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I see now that it is a genre I had pretty much ignored (probably unfairly) in favor of full adventure RPG. Wishlisting the other two for future play.

The quintessential game in the "genre" is the original Blackguards. Excellent game.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the codex consensus on this game?

It's fucking amazing. There have been few detractors in the thread - most people seem to like it.
0/10 all the heroes are civilized.
Knight's tale
-10/10 couldn't even add Olgier the Dane.

Lady Boudicea is a barbaric celt, just ask any roman legionaire.
But if you want more than just nomenclature, in the recent Chained God campaign you play the Fomorians side - so your characters are hulking brutes with bigass axes and fur trimmed armor.

CoronerZg

Augur
It's a great game with a lot of charm. Can't really find many faults. Difficulty curve is a bit strange tho... I was playing on very hard/roguelite and for the first 3 or 4 missions I was getting stomped. All my knights were injured and barely alive and I was often considering a restart. Then mission 5 or 6 started and it was piss easy. And then the rest of the game was just a variation from normal to easy. And from what I have read on Steam, the only missions that were somewhat challenging in the later parts of the game, are already scheduled for rework, because of the "many complaints". Real shame. FromSoft will always have my respect for withstanding the current snowflake culture.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's a great game with a lot of charm. Can't really find many faults. Difficulty curve is a bit strange tho... I was playing on very hard/roguelite and for the first 3 or 4 missions I was getting stomped. All my knights were injured and barely alive and I was often considering a restart. Then mission 5 or 6 started and it was piss easy. And then the rest of the game was just a variation from normal to easy. And from what I have read on Steam, the only missions that were somewhat challenging in the later parts of the game, are already scheduled for rework, because of the "many complaints". Real shame. FromSoft will always have my respect for withstanding the current snowflake culture.

Yeah the difficulty curve gets fucked up, but honestly to fix it they should probably just fix vanguard and champion rather than buff enemies necessarily. Everything else is fine

Codex Year of the Donut
game nears impossible difficulty if you don't use vanguards and very easy if you rely on them

they might have patched this since I played so YMMV

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
game nears impossible difficulty if you don't use vanguards and very easy if you rely on them

they might have patched this since I played so YMMV

Champions are more powerful (at least as powerful) as Vanguards in late game. For a long time I rated Vanguards higher because they were so easy to break, but when I started experimenting with Champions with the right relics... yeah, they're insane. They can clear entire fights in a single turn with their AP recovery mechanics, which outshine Vanguard.

But both are the problem. And they don't need a damage nerf - they need AP recovery nerfs.

CoronerZg

Augur
There are lot of factors I think... Ring of TP is a big one, cause you can find 2 or 3 of them and it's the strongest item for AI outplays. Merlin with relic for instant burn over time dmg is hands down strongest thing in the game... you can deal over 1000 dmg to multiple enemies with one spell. Vanguards and Champions can both be pretty broken, as mentioned. Some defenders are ridiculous as well. Sages too. With good equipment pretty much any team comp is OP. So I don't think AP recovery nerf would solve the balance. Can't hurt tho. I would like to see enemies with TP, enemy Vanguards using hide, things like that. More fights where enemies are something like player party and not zillion of dumb grunts or dumb feys or dumb picts. It's still fun sometimes, but the best fights are against parties like Morgana, Bedievere, Sidhe Warlock, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom