Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
As I said some 100 pages ago when the game first launched, the combat is largely underdesigned and badly implemented. There's no real way to break the defense of a high level enemy - that's what really makes it bad too, high level enemies. High level enemies will parry or master strike 100% of your attacks when you attack first, the game basically teaches you to not attack them first and just wait until they attack you and you perfect parry that attack, then master strike it. Or you can do what I did, and just clinch, spam m1, repeat, because there is no viable way to break their defense other than that.

Funposter

Arcane
Sounds like shitty combat.

Combat with lopsided balance is a better assessment. It shines in the mid-game when a 1v1 fight with a heavily armored enemy (Wayfaring Knight) is a life or death situation, and landing proper combos can be difficult, but also worth going for as they are extremely effective in opening up your opponent to more damage. Towards the end you start doing too much damage for anything to be legitimately challenging, and early on it's often near-impossible to actually land hits on high level enemies, as has been discussed. I think part of the problem is that the game tries to fool people into thinking that they are i complete control, when it's quite often dice rolls that are doing all of the work. Of course there's a learning curve to it and you learn how to dance around enemies with enough experience. The Runt fight at the start of the game is a good example, as on my first playthrough I was immediately laid out. The second time through, I was able to hang in there for a while and was actually able to hit him a few times before accepting my fate and eating a blow to the face.

I will say that one thing that can be fairly effective against high level enemies, even in full plate, is to go for overhead strikes. You have about the same chance of getting through as with anything else, but the reward for actually landing the hit is far greater. That, and poking, as I said earlier. Conventional left-right chaining of hits is pretty useless.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If I hit or miss seems with an attack seems completely random
That's because it basically is. High level enemies will just constantly perfect block your attacks, meaning it will be absolutely pointless to try attacking them first and anything you learn early to mid game will be worthless.
You can basically ignore half the shit you learned in combat training. Feinting? Useless, it doesn't actually do anything. Combos? Don't bother, they take 3+ hits to execute and your enemy will either die or block one attack before it's fully completed.

Here is your guide to combat:
Step 1: Go walk up against your target in combat and force them in a clinch (that animation where you cross swords and the other guy then hits you back, the game never actually tells you that it is possible to win these)
Step 2: Spam M1, M2 or space as fast as possible.
Step 3: Once you won the clinch, hit your target as many times as your stamina allows because they are stunlocked for a good while.
Step 4: If the enemy did not die, walk back until your stamina is fully regenerated and then try again from Step 1.

This works surprisingly well, especially when compared to what the combat training tries to teach you. Bows are also pretty strong it seems, at least compared to melee.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Bows are good if you like cheesing the AI of the game. I don't like playing that way, so I stuck to swords.

Quillon

Arcane
Master Stroke doesn't do shit to armored enemies; no damage to speak of, no causing an opening to successfully attack, winning a clinch is a lot more valuable which is retadred; should be the other way around.

Barbarian

Arcane
Any word on what will the 3rd dlc exactly be about? Aside from the title I don't remember any info about it.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Any word on what will the 3rd dlc exactly be about? Aside from the title I don't remember any info about it.
No official info yet. But don't worry, the trailer is in the workings and it will be pretty clear from it what the DLC is about.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ey yo peeps what are some mods for this shit ??

i put in insta-herbz and sectatorialtially lock picking

WHAT ELSE DO I NEED?

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
We updated the artpiece so now by default it's easier to find you point of reference which is the same purpose the sectors in the mod serve as well. Use the sectorized lockpick mod only if it's still too hard for you.

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Smejki

not even joking when I say that Kingdom Come 2 needs full animation for taking a dump! Come on guys, be the first to break this new ground in immersiveness!!
For true realism they should make shitting a skill. You start out with sticky clay-like shits at lvl 0 and by lvl 20 you produce perfectly polished wipe-free turds. Successfully shitting in front of others gives you a boost in reputation.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Smejki

not even joking when I say that Kingdom Come 2 needs full animation for taking a dump! Come on guys, be the first to break this new ground in immersiveness!!
For true realism they should make shitting a skill. You start out with sticky clay-like shits at lvl 0 and by lvl 20 you produce perfectly polished wipe-free turds. Successfully shitting in front of others gives you a boost in reputation.
Plus you can use shit from lvl15 onwards as a mortar replacement to save money building your own house.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I finished the main story, some thoughts (in no particular order) follow.

- 15th century Bohemia as a setting is well realized
- my biggest gripe is the clunky combat system, even towards the end I had no fun with it (see a few posts above)
- aside from when a lot of NPCs are on screen, performance is good
- graphics are very pretty, not a whole lot of post-processing madness going on, the game looks very realistic
- the open world feels empty (a bit like Witcher 3), there's not a whole lot to discover unless you have the relevant quests for an area
- writing and VO is great (German), although the nobles use the wrong pronouns all the time, a capital offense these days
- I had trouble raising the lockpicking skill much despite a good number of robbing sprees, it didn't seem to matter since I still could pick hard locks even with a relatively low skill value
- the item based save system was an issue since I got (infrequent) crashes, which can cost you a lot of playtime if they occur at the wrong moment, there's a mod that lets you savescum all you want though
- I quickly took a liking to the principal characters you interact with throughout the game, just look at them!

YKXitDO.jpg

Smejki any chance you could really add manual savegames? I'll be honest, gating them behind certain requisite reminds me of console checkpoints. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom