Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So now that comics have been milked for TV adaptations they are moving on to video games
In truth, Todd Howard porting Skyrim to Netflix is nigh inevitable.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Historical flicks need a ton of money to look good and with a small independent studio like that...I worry it'll look like Xena.

They can't be too small, or they wouldn't be able to have so many concurrent projects. The actual filming will probably be done by a different company.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Ruining KCD and Yakuza's TV adaptions would suck, but it's not the end of the world.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Historical flicks need a ton of money to look good and with a small independent studio like that...I worry it'll look like Xena.

They can't be too small, or they wouldn't be able to have so many concurrent projects. The actual filming will probably be done by a different company.

Yeah fuck if I know how the model works nowadays.

Point is Witcher was funded by one of the richest corporations in the world, apparently the first season cost 80 million, and it still looked barely better than Xena.

TV/movies are different from vidya, you can make a great game with non-AAA production values because you can compensate with great gameplay, but you can't make a respectable historical TV series with knights, castles and big battles on a shoestring budget, let alone a feature film. Not after people got used to the standard of Game of Thrones or Kingdom of Heaven.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Xena with good writing would be better than what pedoflix did with Witcher. Won't make a lot of money though, but then again, won't cost much either.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Different order.

More like the same order just under a different name and headquarters

They held the same property and privileges the Templar Order had, operated in the same manner, and were composed entirely of runaway templar knights

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Point is Witcher was funded by one of the richest corporations in the world, apparently the first season cost 80 million, and it still looked barely better than Xena.

I don't think Witcher had significantly smaller budget than Game of Thrones, but GoT looks ten times better. Witcher just doesn't have the necessary talent. Which is hilarious considering the talent Witcher got in the book and videogame medium.

I don't think Witcher had significantly smaller budget than Game of Thrones, but GoT looks ten times better. Witcher just doesn't have the necessary talent. Which is hilarious considering the talent Witcher got in the book and videogame medium.

Wow, no, it actually had a higher budget per ep that GoT, reportedly $10 mil per. Of course GoT has more seasons, but damn I didn’t expect more money to be thrown at Witcher.

https://screenrant.com/witcher-tv-netflix-budget-cost-game-thrones-comparison/

Funposter

Arcane
How much of that went towards Henry Cavill's paycheque? The Last Kingdom's set and costume design are quite nice, don't feel stupid or cheap, and that cost the BBC something like £10 million for the first season. Second season onward got a boost in budget due to Netflix's involvement.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, I think he said he wasn't in it for the money. I don't know if I can offer citation, but I distinctly remember him backing a lot on what he could ask just so he could play Geralt.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Last Kingdom's set and costume design are quite nice, don't feel stupid or cheap

Yeah that's a good example, I'm watching it rn actually.

Still, Last Kingdom doesn't feel stupid but it doesn't exactly take anyone's breath either. But maybe that's just me comparing every medieval setting to Kingdom of Heaven now, probably an impossibly high bar for 99,99% of filmakers.

Funposter

Arcane
The Last Kingdom's set and costume design are quite nice, don't feel stupid or cheap

Yeah that's a good example, I'm watching it rn actually.

Still, Last Kingdom doesn't feel stupid but it doesn't exactly take anyone's breath either. But maybe that's just me comparing every medieval setting to Kingdom of Heaven now, probably an impossibly high bar for 99,99% of filmakers.
LK benefits from taking place in the early middle ages, so most of the sets are allowed to look like a pigsty and nothing is too big. Thanks to the smaller scale, you can actually just construct a set and it doesn't look contrived. No need to invest heavily in CG, or create scale models ala LOTR etc.

ADL

Prophet
Hell, based on conversation that took place a couple pages back, they could film on location as most of that shit is still standing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hell, based on conversation that took place a couple pages back, they could film on location as most of that shit is still standing.
Not even close, they would have to build basically all outdoors locations from grounds up, or CG the shit out of it. But they could definitely use some church and castle interiors.

Not even close, they would have to build basically all outdoors locations from grounds up, or CG the shit out of it. But they could definitely use some church and castle interiors.

Set building and CG is a thing, man.

[edit]

Come to think of it, did you even see LOTR? Perfect example.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I assume KC2 will take place a few years after KCD.
Which means the show can be a direct sequel instead, a Lethal Weapon-style buddy series about no-nonsense Henry and rascal Hans Capon visiting Sigismund's allies and trying to end the war.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's doubrful, but there are slim chance that it will be sucessful enough to lift up the franchise into more recognition. Vavra and warhorse bros deserve it.

user

Savant
Any comrade got any hc/survival/rpg/combat stuff mod suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom