Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw there are only 2 real problems with the schnapps system:

- the first few hours in the game, before you L2R and start brewing your own potions, schnapps is p. expensive and hard to get. You have to use it sparingly or rely on quest auto-saves or sleep saves (or casually robbing every single house or person you meet)
- the bugginess in the first few months after the release; the reason I stopped playing back than was exactly that. But the game has been thoroughly patched since then and borked quests or crashes are p. rare (when I played a few months ago I had no borked quests and only two crashes in 120 hours)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As I keep saying, it's not the Schnaps, it's the rest of the game not really being Hardcore at all. They tacked the mode on to appeal to certain people without the necessary changes to make it work properly. Like Skyrim.
Yeah you said that but didn't back it up at all. Why exactly is it "tacked on"?

Because I'd say the exact opposite - Hardcore is actually how the game should be played, where some of the systems are actually meaningful and make sense (for example food and many stats and perks). Also it's WAY more immersive.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There are no quest autosaves in Hardcore. Only booze, sleeping and bathing saves the game. It says as much when you select Hardcore mode. This leads to constantly being thrown back to the start of the day and depending on circumstances you'll lose an hour of playtime and progress for no justified reason. As I said earlier, I botched the sermon so my only options are to do it all over again or ride across the entire map. I chose the latter, ran into a band of Cumans and got slaughtered. Wasted time, wasted gameplay.

You also never have your health reset after cutscenes. I experienced the entire Godwin quest with that horrible red screen effect because I got bonked on the head during the tavern brawl. I DID get the Nightmares debfuff the next morning however so successfully doing the sermon became even harder. I did get the hangover debfuff, that's fair. Hair if the Dog of course also shits on your Charisma so the results are the same.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
people whining about limited saves are just fucking retarded holy shit, just have a couple of the saving potions on hand if you are that fucking paranoid.. I had like 5 and rarely ever used them because there are places you can sleep (and therefore save) all over the fucking map.

you fucking decline enabling pieces of shit should stick to ass crud and soyberpoz OH NO THE GAME DOESN'T AUTOFILL ME w/ HEALTH AFTER A CUTSCENE REEEEEE

botched the sermon so you had to RIDE ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP my bloody ringpiece... you could have paid the few groschen at the Inn in the same fucking town and had a save spot you poor jewish fuck.. you could have even used a potion just before hand

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are no quest autosaves in Hardcore. Only booze, sleeping and bathing saves the game. It says as much when you select Hardcore mode. This leads to constantly being thrown back to the start of the day and depending on circumstances you'll lose an hour of playtime and progress for no justified reason.

Then learn to schnapps more often. It's perfectly fine to quicksave every 20+ mins. Not that hard, seriously man.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Some faggot freaked out on me on Steam recently when I questioned his statement about the combat being bad in this game and if you like the combat you are a fucking idiot. I stated that while it might not be for everyone I like that it is different than say Skyrim or something like that. He proceeded to continue calling me a moronic piece of shit for thinking he was being overly autistic and hostile. I deleted him from my friends list and I now dislike people from Sweden.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There are no quest autosaves in Hardcore. Only booze, sleeping and bathing saves the game. It says as much when you select Hardcore mode. This leads to constantly being thrown back to the start of the day and depending on circumstances you'll lose an hour of playtime and progress for no justified reason.

Then learn to schnapps more often. It's perfectly fine to quicksave every 20+ mins. Not that hard, seriously man.

I only have a limited amount of schnaps because in the early game I can't afford the 150 groschen, nor does the alchemist sell enough belladonna to brew a few dozen at once.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
people whining about limited saves are just fucking retarded holy shit, just have a couple of the saving potions on hand if you are that fucking paranoid.. I had like 5 and rarely ever used them because there are places you can sleep (and therefore save) all over the fucking map.

you fucking decline enabling pieces of shit should stick to ass crud and soyberpoz OH NO THE GAME DOESN'T AUTOFILL ME w/ HEALTH AFTER A CUTSCENE REEEEEE

botched the sermon so you had to RIDE ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP my bloody ringpiece... you could have paid the few groschen at the Inn in the same fucking town and had a save spot you poor jewish fuck.. you could have even used a potion just before hand

Big words for someone with the reading comprehension of a level 1 Henry.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I only have a limited amount of schnaps because in the early game I can't afford the 150 groschen, nor does the alchemist sell enough belladonna to brew a few dozen at once.

Afaik vendors restock quite fast, I wanna say wait an hour or two and they have more belladonna? Also the game tells you you can brew up to three potions at once, if you don't make any bad mistakes. L2Alchemy like a bawz and you're golden with schnapps.

Also if you're really desperate break into a few houses at night and you'll have schnapps for days.

Also you actually don't have to play the game if you're not having fun, you do know that right?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
imagine being poor in KCD, what the FUCK?
Lemme guess, your answer is to cheese the game so you make lots of money immediately. Wow, great design right there.

high IQ strats of picking herbs, stealing shit, looting enemies and selling their shit... you are right, it's very complicated and you literally need an MBA to figure it out..

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also you actually don't have to play the game if you're not having fun, you do know that right?

All I've been saying is that Hardcore mode is badly designed and doesn't align with the fundamental mechanics of the game. Because it was tacked on. That is ALL I stated. I love the game, I deeply appreciate its presentation but some of the mechanics are bad and often go against the immersion that Hardcore is supposed to create. Frankly I'm surprised there isn't a mod that brings Hardcore up to speed.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding Hardcore being tacked on - since selling prices are lower on Hardcore, I didn't have enough money to buy 10 coal after selling Kunesh's stuff. I had to go pick Sage and sell it to a shop to raise the money to complete the first quest.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah Fedora is just talking nonsense. The list of changes for Hardcore is a meter long in KCD. In most games all you'll get with higher difficulties is different HP and dmg numbers for you and the mobs.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yeah Fedora is just talking nonsense. The list of changes for Hardcore is a meter long in KCD. In most games all you'll get with higher difficulties is different HP and dmg numbers for you and the mobs.

That's no argument at all. "Officer, the guy in front of me also ran the red light!"

It's completely irrelevant what other games do in their immersion modes or how long the list of changes is when fundamentals aren't touched.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I think we established you don't know how to play the game already. Are you saying you know about all the game mechanics you have not taken advantage of?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding Hardcore being tacked on - since selling prices are lower on Hardcore, I didn't have enough money to buy 10 coal after selling Kunesh's stuff. I had to go pick Sage and sell it to a shop to raise the money to complete the first quest.

what guide did you read? or do you work on wall street or something?
I read The Elder Scrolls.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Fedora Master , I'm serious. The hammer, axe and nails sold for 3.6 gr. and that's with Henry in full haggling mode. The bastard wanted to buy them for only 3.4 gr. The coals costed 3.4 gr for 5 coal, whereas Henry needs 10 :lol:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Maybe dad knows that but is just being an asshole. A nice introduction to Hardcore Mode.

My only real complaint about the save system is that the game can be buggy. If you're having to replay lengthy segments because the game crashed to desktop or because you got stuck in some bush and got crushed to death when trying to jump out, you have my full sympathy. Aside from that, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the system. At the start I'd recommend spending some time in Rattay doing all those (non-dangerous) side quests and getting some extra cash to get you started. Whenever you're leaving town, go take a nap to save the game. Always keep a couple of bottles of Schnapps with you and take a drink when it looks like things might be getting dangerous. Avoid stupid things like fighting bandits if your last save was twenty minutes ago. Once you get a bit further in the game, Schapps become plentiful, but I still like the fact that they're a limited resource that takes up inventory space, which at least slightly reduces the most degenerate savescumming behavior.

The "I lost an hour of progress because I died" comments seem just absurd to me. Of course you should take care to save regularly, no matter what the save system is like. It's the most basic thing to do in a computer game and everyone should know that.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Fedora Master , I'm serious. The hammer, axe and nails sold for 3.6 gr. and that's with Henry in full haggling mode. The bastard wanted to buy them for only 3.4 gr. The coals costed 3.4 gr for 5 coal, whereas Henry needs 10 :lol:

You get the money for the coal from your dad after you give him the hammer back though. That, for once, isn't on Hardcore.

AwesomeButton

Patron
To be fair, I've also read the biography of Cornelius Vanderbilt who is sort of my personal hero in life. Part of the inspiration came from there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom