Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by conan_edw, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Ibn Sina Savant Patron

Ibn Sina
    Strap Yourselves In
    Is there any news on Vavra next project?

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well they've made the soap, now they're working on a box to put it in.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. SoupNazi rial billionaire Patron

SoupNazi
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands
    He's too busy standing on said soap box.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. SlamDunk Arcane

SlamDunk
    The Warhorse office is empty due to COVID-19. Things are developing, albeit at a snail's pace.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I don't think the czech republic has elections for a couple years still.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Justicar Dead game

Justicar
    Covid :hahano::hahano::hahano::hahano:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • coof coof x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    It seems to me that Vávra is too busy doing his anti-censorship work (in frame of the NGO he started, he recently ran a seminar in the parliament for example and made quite a few public appearances, he is also preparing some kind of large law suit against Facebook) to pay much attention to the game dev stuff.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Wilian Arcane Patron

Wilian
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I was not aware holding a massive sword is like warping through trees and doing constant unbreakable 180s while mobs teleport either uphill or downhill depending where the bre-baked animations requires them to. I've held few longswords in my hand I am pretty certain none of that happened.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    On the other hand he has been banned on FB for the last couple months so he has about fifty times more free time than before

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    Really? How he got banned?

^ Top  
  11. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    He literally just told someone who trolled him to fuck off, thats all.

IIRC he also got into trouble for writting some sort of a blog post about some public figure (I dont remember who it was, some politician I think) which was classified as offensive (though it really wasnt), but that is probably a separate drama, that facebook shit is extremely pathetic.

• Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. otsego Cipher

otsego
    I spent a few years putting this game off because I didn't have the hardware (I still don't) but finally gave it a shot. I even met Vavra at ComiCon and watched their presentation before the game was even released. The hype was real but I just couldn't run the game.

20 hours in, it's pretty much everything I wanted out of a medieval RPG. The cinematics are overlong and get annoying but I digress.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out the combat. Maybe I'm getting retadred and old, but it seems like no matter what I do the outcome is random. The fighting tutorial teaches you feints and 'tricking' the enemy with attacks but it never seems to work in real combat, they always block or dodge you... until they randomly don't.

I just finished fighting 2 bandits in the search for Ginger. I spent 2 hours failing and dying to them. Then I drank a Marigold potion and kept clicking the mouse and for some reason every time I looked at the enemy health bar it was lower and lower... but I DID NOTHING DIFFERENT in terms of combat strategy (I was still just clicking the mouse and changing directions at random with basically no thought at all).

Fighting 2 enemies at once is very difficult. I tried cheesing it in several ways but in the end I ended up just... winning by spamming the same mouse clicks I did hours prior.

What am I doing wrong

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • incline incline x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. whocares Savant

whocares
    You'll need someone more autistic dedicated than me to give you the specifics of why, but if you want to win, get a mace or a pokey sword, go in for a clinch, when it happens mash everything to break it and push the other guy back, then go for a quick poke or bump to the head. Before long, you'll be knocking fools out left and right faster than they can damage you.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    How to win at combat in KCD:
    1. equip as much armor as you can
    2. use bane poison

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Wilian Arcane Patron

Wilian
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A noble knight-to-be would never stoop so low as to use woman's weapon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. SoupNazi rial billionaire Patron

SoupNazi
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands
    Duels just take practice in being able to riposte properly to be honest, then you can just fairly easily counterattack almost anything that comes at you. For fights with more opponents, make sure you have the button for enabling/disabling lock-on within reach, as well as switch lock-on targets, and use them frequently. The key is to defend and look for openings, but you have to be able to quickly switch. Stabs are faster than swings, so I usually preferred those and jabbed at multiple opponents. Fights were long, but doable. You can also just disable lock-on to do that, but I found it easier with the switching.

But I don't think anything more than 3 opponents is doable, and even then you'll need a good bit of luck and practice.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    You need to equip the ring.

Show Spoiler
    Alternatively, learn Master Strike from Captain Bernard. Also, enemies will always be vulnerable when you've managed to Clinch, Master Strike, or Perfect Block them.

Show Spoiler
    It is doable. I managed to singlehandedly wipe out the entire bandit encampment at Pribyslavitz (only to realise there was no reward for doing so). Then again, I already had some of the best equipment.

Having the doggo from A Woman's Lot DLC also helps a lot during the early game when you're outnumbered.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nirvash Learned

Nirvash
    Ok, started this, played 10h in 2 days lol.

Lol theresa is 5 times more badass than henry in her dlc, those fucking stealth kills like a master assassin.

ok, i'm a guard now and i bet hans will be my best friend forever, no homo.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    I need to get back to this. I did nothing in the main quest but I'm well over equiped because in almost 100h I only choked and robbed peasants atthe side of the road. Some of them was filth rich, by the way. I remember I recognized one that was gambling just before. Now I'm waiting outside of the bars in town, just in case. Everyone hates me, but whatever.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nirvash Learned

Nirvash
    Nah, gonna only steal/mug for plot revelant quest, my henry is a good boy.
    But still gonna murder every pagan in sight, yes.

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. SlamDunk Arcane

SlamDunk
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That or they need someone to hang up the phone.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    It's not all about this "fighting mini-game". They've tried to make char's skills matter and the gear of course. Once you get your hands on full plate with a proper helm and everything, take some top mace (I also recommend them at least for starters, swords are way more tricky, although they might give more fun at fencing after some practice, the most basic trick is riposte in the fucking eye with it). Untill you get all that though I recommend spend time on alchemy and learn how to make night vision potions. With them and a stealth gear set (which can be dirt cheap) you can easily clean bandit camps at nights if you like that sort of thing of course.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. otsego Cipher

otsego
    60hrs in and I'm... Winning... But still not 100% sure how. I went maces intuitively because I figured it defeated armor and only learned recently by reading some in-game codex that I was correct.

Geared and skilled up so 3-4 mid-tier enemies aren't a big problem anymore, although the odd random road encounter with Cumans wrecks my shit embarrassingly. Basically winning by doing riposte and draining their stamina.
    Carrying a sword, mace and axe now for situation encounters.

I also recently realized I couldn't do special moves because I was using a longsword with shield, which apparently is a no-no if you want to break noses with the pommel of your sword.

Whoops!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. FreshCorpse Arbiter Patron

FreshCorpse
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah I feel like the sword is a bit of a trap. It works against early enemies but not particularly useful once mobs have breastplate. This is context no one knows because who has made a realistic medieval combat game before? I'm not even sure that if I replayed that I would use a shield.

I think groups remain hard. Even towards the end I was still occasionally making a silly mistake and getting routed by (large) groups of peasants. What does happen is that random battles become less common.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.