Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Paul_cz

Arcane
I'm very eager to see how a Kingdom Come game looks with proper global illumination, ray-traced reflections and so on. Provided, of course, that KC2 will actually have those graphical features...
SVOGI of KCD was easily on par with lighting in raytraced games like Metro or Cyberpunk.
However RT reflections would be nice to have on water so they wouldn't disappear when looking down like SSR does.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Advice needed: finally have a system that can play this at Very High settings with HD pack enabled (i9, RTX 3070). What QoL/balance mods do you recommend for a first playthrough, or is this one of those "you should play vanilla first and only then hit the mods" kind of deals? Are there any essential ones? Don't wanna go crazy and full retard like the Skyrim nutballs and their 500 mod modlists though.

Funposter

Arcane
Advice needed: finally have a system that can play this at Very High settings with HD pack enabled (i9, RTX 3070). What QoL/balance mods do you recommend for a first playthrough, or is this one of those "you should play vanilla first and only then hit the mods" kind of deals? Are there any essential ones? Don't wanna go crazy and full retard like the Skyrim nutballs and their 500 mod modlists though.
Honestly, I would say not to bother with any mods for a first playthrough since the vanilla game mostly works and has good balance/progression. MAYBE get an Unlimited Saving mod if you don't like the idea of it being tied to a resource.

Gerrard

Arcane
You will use the save mod the moment your game crashes as you go to sleep to save and you lose hours of progress.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm very eager to see how a Kingdom Come game looks with proper global illumination, ray-traced reflections and so on. Provided, of course, that KC2 will actually have those graphical features...
Have to admit, I love that golden look with global illumination in ray tracing. It just hits differently than light map stuff. I don't regret my RTX card purchase at all.

Vatnik Wumao
uBhwCUV.jpg
What We Do in the Shadows is great, particularly the movie (series is decent, but it doesn't have as strong of a main cast imho).

Codex Year of the Donut
What QoL/balance mods do you recommend for a first playthrough,
the mod that disables the lockpicking minigame
git gud
I don't mind a minigame if it's similar(even if it requires squinting) to what the activity is actually like, especially if it's a fantasy/fictional activity. I particularly like the lockpicking minigame seen in Oblivion/ESO and a few Piranha Bytes games:
Lockpicking.jpg

Hey, its got tumblers and stuff, it's sorta similar!
And PB also had it:
6v1clx4712m81.png

Hey, I can sorta see how this would work and adds some immersion, for us plebs it sorta resembles a real lock.
Side note: Elex 2's looks the worst somehow. What a shitshow of a game.

But the KCD minigame is like some random, unrelated minigame that has nothing to do with lockpicking. Why is this thing spinning on its own? What is going on here?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I actually liked the lock-picking minigame in Oblivion and was thinking before the above post, "Now if KCD has something similar, it could be fun" but now I hear tales of perpertually spinning thingamabobs and frammistans and whatnot and other weird shit in KCD's lockpicking. That can't be good.

Funposter

Arcane
If you can't understand the KCD lockpicking minigame, I genuinely think that you might have learning difficulties. This isn't to say that it's good (tumbler style or even the pervasive Skyrim/FO3/Dying Light style would work), but it's entirely functional and adequate.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you can't understand the KCD lockpicking minigame, I genuinely think that you might have learning difficulties. This isn't to say that it's good (tumbler style or even the pervasive Skyrim/FO3/Dying Light style would work), but it's entirely functional and adequate.
but it has nothing to do with lockpicking so it's shit.
A minigame existing just to exist is bad design

Funposter

Arcane
I wouldn't say that it's "existing just to exist" when it's entirely in keeping with the rest of the game's design, with the exception of speech checks. You're given some sort of mechanic to engage with that requires the player to be able to execute it mechanically, but levelling up makes it easier and gives you a larger margin for error. The argument that it's so visually abstract as to be removed from lockpicking has more merit, but even then, it's just the Skyrim/FO3 system with an extra step added.

Skyrim:

1. Move pick to sweet spot
2. Turn

KCD:

1. Move pick (represented by the ball going gold) to sweet spot
2. Turn
3. Ensure that you keep the pick in the sweet spot as you turn

SlamDunk

Arcane
Except, in this case, the minigame is actually good, once you get the hang of it.

Anyways... lockpicking (with mouse/keyboard) becomes so easy later in the game that you don't need to even think about it while doing it... and I'm not referring to the Master Thief perk.

V17

Educated
Well, with that dire warning in the post just above this one, the Unlimited Saving Mod mod it is then.
Imo the limited saves are one of the great things about the game. It really isn't that difficult to get a few bottles of savior schnapps plus the game autosaves at certain spots and when quitting, so it's not at all a strict limit. But it is enough of a soft limit to sometimes force you to stop and think before you do something stupid. This slight push to make more mindful decisions definitely made the game more fun for me. In about 70 hours of gameplay I did once lose about 20 minutes in a broken sidequest - a bit annoying, but worth it.

Yeah Lockpicking Overhaul was the one I used too, that minigame is unfun garbage. I also used "No Helmet Vision", because that kind of "immersion" can go fuck itself.

Last edited:

vibehunter

Learned
Honest opinions on replay value? I put nearly 100 hours into the game on my first playthrough and though I greatly enjoyed it, I don't know if there's a reason to play again besides achievement hunting or a hardcore playthrough.

Paul_cz

Arcane

Not sure about mods (and I advise against the unlimited saving, the savior schnapps system is awesome, just learn to brew it) but make sure you play on hardcore mode and have the DLCs as well. And do not start the Theresa DLC early in the game, leave it for later.

Hardcore mode is lot more immersive experience, even if it is a bit more time consuming.

As for crashing and save worrying, I had two crashes in 200 hours and both were caused by my windows virtual memory setting being too low, once I increased swap file size, no more crashes.

Smejki , I read on reddit that the chinese translation is horrible. So probably make sure for KCII to use a different company if you want to suceed in that market.

Renfri

Cipher
Instant Herb Picking mod was something I used to skip animation ;) If you dont care about alchemy, its not that necessary

Funposter

Arcane
Is there a proper wiki for this game yet? I'm replaying on Hardcore mode with no mods and I'm still finding the documentation online to be lacking when I want to double-check quest outcomes, and so much of the information is still for launch when people knew nothing about the game. I want to see if there's any point to perfectly sabotaging the bandit camp in Nest of Vipers (all 4 cooking pots poisoned, all arrows lit on fire) and the top google results are still people just complaining about how difficult the quest is. Moving around the unmolested camp is fine since I went the Morcock route in 'My Friend Timmy', but I can only seem to poison three of the cooking pots before somebody decides to rudely eat from one of them, sending the whole camp into a frenzy.

Honest opinions on replay value? I put nearly 100 hours into the game on my first playthrough and though I greatly enjoyed it, I don't know if there's a reason to play again besides achievement hunting or a hardcore playthrough.
I'm about 20 hours into my recent playthrough and really enjoying myself. I think the replay value comes from trying things differently to your original playthrough, so intentionally use different weapons or focus more on stealth and archery if you didn't the first time around. Still, it's not going to be a radically different experience each time so I think it mainly comes down to how much you actually enjoy the game and how much you want to experience the story again. I haven't touched any of the DLC either, so even though reviews on all of it are mixed, I'm looking forward to playing it.

Funposter

Arcane
I have been forced to install mods to keep the game challenging during my recent Hardcore playthrough. I had used Blood and Iron during the early days of KC:D modding, but Better Combat and Immersion Compilation seems to be the only one which was routinely updated to work with current patches, so I've gone with that and added Modified Combat Overhaul - Directional Combat and Smarter AI to compliment it. I've also installed Weather Overhaul to get rid of those frequent sun showers and add properly rainy days to the weather system. Haven't really tested the mods yet, apart from confirming that my groschen does indeed weigh something and that I can now carry less, but here are a few thoughts on the Hardcore mode:

1. Hardcore delays the player crossing the inevitable power threshold, but not by much. I'm using the Numbskull and Shakes debuffs, FYI. This is probably my biggest gripe, and I'd estimate that I became "OP" maybe only a few hours later than I would have in an entirely vanilla playthrough. I think that Hardcore encourages you to play it very safe in the early game and do plenty of combat practice with Bernard before you start doing the main quest, but it's maybe adding two relaxing hours of combat practice, sleeping to recover from injuries and scrounging for money to repair your gear and feed yourself. I probably didn't help matters by looting everything that wasn't nailed down in the tutorial/prologue section to ensure I had as much cash as possible once I was let out into the wild, but I thought Hardcore would be harder than it was and went a little bit overboard.

2. Related to the above, but the power threshold is still at the exact point in the game - you get a decent helmet and piece of plate armour, and at the same time, your stats have levelled up enough that basic bandits can't block your attacks and stronger ones aren't just hitting you with master strikes whenever you try to attack them.

3. Getting money is still too easy, even with the edits to the economy. I'm not sure about the minutiae of the edits, but it seems to me that you pay more for equipment and services such as repairs, and are paid less for equipment that you sell to merchants. This is fine, but it doesn't really fix the root issue which is oversupply. Running into a trio of Sasau Guard fighting some high level bandits is still all that's needed to net you a few thousand groschen worth of equipment, as well as high level plate armour that provides you with 20+ defence, and you don't even need to join in on the fight if you don't want to. That's not to mention the various encounters with Cumans and lower level bandits that give you a steady flow of income across the early game.

4. Combat is still a game of wailing on your opponent until they crumble, or sitting around trying to bait master strikes with almost no middle ground. If your opponent is weaker than you, you can usually just wail on them until they run out of stamina or even just bonk them on the head once and watch them die. If your opponent is stronger, attacking them at all often opens you up to a master strike, which means than your only real option is to sit around and bait them into making a mistake.

There you go. I'm not sure that the extra immersion/difficulty options (no map/GPS etc.) really make the game any more difficult or if they just introduce a little more tedium to the experience and make it all last slightly longer. I will say that having no fast travel made me spring for a new horse earlier than I otherwise would have, but even after spending 3,000+ groschen on a new horse and horseshoes to make it go extra fast, you only need one or two encounters with bandits to make up for that money. I should also say that I've been trying not to go nuts with the treasure hunting, having only found stashes and also opting to sell any armour I found rather than equipping it in order to not be super OP early on. I'm pretty sure Hardcore edits the contents of treasure too, but it still seems ludicrously good. The treasure chests really need to have more difficult locks, because even with Shakes, unlocking an Easy level lock is zero issue even at the very beginning of the game. IDK, we'll see how things go now that I've added these mods. I maybe should have done this at the very beginning because of how familiar I am with the game and its systems, but I assumed that two or so years away from it and the extra difficult of Hardcore would sort of make up for it.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I know the ship has sailed, but I just wanted to quickly chime in re: lock picking. Don't forget about the fact that it's all taking place in real-time while NPCs are moving around, and that they can hear when you break a lock pick. That automatically makes it much better than the implementation of the mini game from Bethesda, and the removal of it would have a great impact on breaking and entering.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't think there is much replay value, Henry just becomes a gigachad of all trades no matter what.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom