Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Paul_cz

Arcane
The controls and camera as far as I am aware are basically identical to DOS2. I have no DOS2 experience with gamepad though. Were you not able to control your avatar with a thumbstick there?
I never played DOS2 so I have no idea. But since you are in the thick of BG3 development I would assume you also tried it with gamepad :p

Paul_cz

Arcane
Gonna answer my own question:

Camera is almost third person, but kinda sucky and restrictive, cannot look up at all. Why it is done this way when ages ago both Witcher 1 and Dragon Age Origins figured out how to have proper third person AND top down cameras is beyond me.
Plus no possibility to set controller sensitivity, with default being too low, and no toggle for interactable objects.
And even after hotfix the game version is still stupidly visible in game.
BG3 does need some extra work.

But I am having lot of fun with it. Even if so far (8 hours) I have yet to see anything that would make me go 10/10 GOTY. But I assume that will arrive when I see Baldur's Gate city proper and all that.

Kingdom Come is still better game though :p

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have yet to see anything that would make me go 10/10 GOTY.
Well, you worked on an RPG that did something so much tougher in terms of narrative and worldbuilding. You had to get people interested in a historical setting, in a largely unknown region, with a blank slate main character.

Gerrard

Arcane
BG3 forced them to update the game's content to modern standards, so it's pushed back again.

prince-rilian

Barely Literate
6lB3m2C.jpg

So, are we ever gonna get Kingdom Come 2 or nah?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really hoped for at least an announcement this summer, seems they're not even ready for that yet. In February it's gonna be six years since the release of KCD. Even Bethesda is faster than that.

At this point we can only hope Embracer doesn't scrap the game, considering the financial shitshow they got themselves into and how expensive these open-world RPGs are.

thesecret1

Arcane
Calm down people, Embracer isn't going to scrap one of its best performing studios, everything points to Warhorse having been working on a sequel for quite a while now (but keeping it under wraps), and Vávra, of all people, certainly isn't going to make the game woke.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I would not be surprised if they’re doing the old Bethesda method of marketing wherein they don’t announce until within 6 mo of release. That worked well for BGS, and resulted in a big hype wave that just built and built until the game was released.

Idk when Beth stopped doing it, but given the amount of time that’s passed from KCD and the lack of rumors of VtMB2-level dysfunction, I think it’s a reasonable theory.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would not be surprised if they’re doing the old Bethesda method of marketing wherein they don’t announce until within 6 mo of release. That worked well for BGS, and resulted in a big hype wave that just built and built until the game was released.

Idk when Beth stopped doing it, but given the amount of time that’s passed from KCD and the lack of rumors of VtMB2-level dysfunction, I think it’s a reasonable theory.
I see you've forgotten https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...s-medieval-chad-simulator.120418/post-7229188

Here a couple more from 2022

Pros

* You can quickly get to work on important and complex stuff. * Nobody will yell at you for messing up. * Team of competent and humble people. * Ample space for one's own initiative (when not requiring unplanned work from others). * Natural company culture. * After-work activities (board games, digital games, sports, pubs).

Cons

* Over-ambitious projects. A lot of work for not enough people. * Low wages for the amount and quality of work required. * Although workflows, work conditions, and options for personal growth are not too bad and getting better, there's not much focus on it.

Pros

Interesting project. Some people are passionate, talented and great co workers though they are a shrinking minority. Provided you are proactive you should be able to survive any other work environment if you manage to get through warhorse without some kind of crippling depression or developing some terrible work habits. They'll take anyone as long as you are cheap. Once you are hired* you are very unlikely to be fired and you can dedicate yourself to something else besides work. *technically nobody is actually hired at warhorse, everyone is on an ever renewing freelance contract*

Cons

CONS -lack of communication Due to the way the company is is structured and other issues* most people have an incentive not to talk to each other since learning about an issue or providing help will suddenly paint you as the expert on such issue and you will suddenly be expected to provide support to everyone else while doing all your original tasks, this pushes some people to be apathetic to issues and isolate themselves in the hope they will avoid being overwhelmed, while some other people go crazy trying to solve problems proactively. On the larger scale, even before covid, most teams acted as self contained units with little to no communication among them, this leads to work being overridden, done twice or just discarded because a person in one team will decide to do something without consulting their counterpart on a different team. This is made even worse if one of the people is a foreigner since some people will willingly avoid meetings if they are not in czech.

-lack of structure There is no hierarchy or structure in teams besides team members and lead, no differentiation between specializations or experience, and no clear duties or expectations. Everyone in a team will often have the same title and may be expected to do random tasks depending on producer's whim regardless of skill, experience or willingness, this often leads to people having to tackle tasks they are not equipped to deal with (made worse by the use of ancient tools and total lack of documentation) and also often ends with people doing work far above their pay grade for months or years. This is made even worse by the general lack of communication which means a person's worth is often defined by how many "tasks" they closed in the tracking software rather than how important or difficult their tasks may have been (not to even mention things such as mentoring or helping solve other people's issues is not tracked in any way). This means there is basically no real avenue for growth within the company since hard work is barely tracked and much less rewarded unless you threaten to leave or you end up in a lead position (non czech speakers need not apply).

-lack of foresight or willingness to invest in the future During my time at warhorse I watched industry veterans and seniors depart the company and leave key roles being vacant for years while juniors desperately tried to learn and pick up the work. This combined with already aged tools like cryengine 3.6 meant that even when new people came in (which were mostly more juniors due to management's unwillingness to spend any significant money on hiring) the learning curve was very pronounced and caused a lot of frustration for everyone involved. On top of this there's a general tendency in the company to do everything on the first try or not do it at all, meaning any tools or attempted improvements to tools and pipelines must be rushed and will often be left bare boned the moment it works (even if it only works 1 out of 5 times) this means people end up working with frustrating, unfinished tools which may be working as patches on top of other rushed tools made ages ago. And it means in certain roles you spend more time learning how to get around these tools rather than learning the role you were hired to do, in some cases even learning and practicing pipelines that have been outright discarded in the rest of the industry. All of this is made even more frustrating by the people in charge's inability to acknowledge the state of the tools and pipelines and labeling anyone calling attention as negative or problematic while promoting a false sense of optimism reminiscent of the "this is fine" meme.

This are just the core issues in my opinion but there are MANY other problems in the company, some quick honorable mentions are:

_Lack of company culture or team building (besides getting drunk once a week)

_Lackluster on-boarding made even worse for foreigners who are supposed to deal with czech state entities on their own in order to get paid because you will be a contractor rather than an actual employee, also don't expect much in the way of mentoring since most people will be insanely overworked already or you might have just been hired to fill some lone role no one else can work on.

_Zero benefits, you will be paying health care and insurance from your own pocket, and don't expect anything for free besides MAYBE coffee.

_You will be treated as an expendable contractor, for example at the start of the covid lockdowns the Czech republic decided to send any non resident foreigners out, when foreigners brought their concerns to warhorse and asked if we could show our contracts as proof of work in the country, the response was "you do not work at warhorse" referring to our contractor state.

In conclusion I can only recommend Warhorse to people who have no other place to go to or who just want to get some money and don't really care about working in games, because if you do care and are passionate warhorse will take that passion and siphon it out replacing it with anger and frustration.

Holy cow the text on that last one.

pickmeister

Learned
Damn, that's even a little worse than I thought. But at least half of it is a typical Czech company stuff I'm used to, sadly.

thesecret1

Arcane
Sounds about typical, yeah, lol. Except maybe keeping them as contractors rather than employees, that's kinda unusual.

pickmeister

Learned
Nah, that's usual cost-cutting/tax avoidance stuff and a way to have less responsibilities towards "employees". But big companies usually stay away from that to not attract interest of authorities.

agris

Arcane
Patron
thanks Roguey, I did forget about that. that being said, it is literally just anecdotal. maybe there are huge problems and KCD2 is a giant cluster, but i don't think we'd be able to tell that from 3 negative glassdoor reviews

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was too much to hope you get to play a medieval Giga Chad impregnating tavern wenches in medieval Prague while introducing bandits to your longsword or other medieval utensil of choice.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom