Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
muh realism

Talking of NPC insanity, one of my favourite things in KCD was firing arrows from the monastery tower in Sasau.

An army of guards would rush up to the tower yelling, "HE MUST HAVE BEEN FIRING ARROWS FROM UP HERE", completely ignoring Henry standing right in front of them holding a bow.

quaesta

Educated
Is this perhaps another hint? She's a game designer at Warhorse:

Fucking hell, the brain rot has reached even Warhorse:

alblj2.jpg

https://twitter.com/lenikrsova/status/1664620636340211712

What am I even supposed to look at here? I just see some 3D models hanging out in the snow, with twitter talking about pride month. This has nothing to do with KCD unless you mean the Summer event

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm guessing what you are supposed to be seeing there is that this KCD developer is some woke retard with no actual understanding of good game design.

Having no idea who she is and what her position actually is, i cannot say how much this matters.

SlamDunk

Arcane
i cannot say how much this matters
When it comes to KCD2, it most likely doesn't matter, considering the fact that Daniel Vávra is still the creative director at Warhorse.

She's a game designer and researcher who is researching "what makes non-player characters believable, how we design companions in video games and how designers go about designing that experience", by the way. Quote is from LinkedIn.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Open letter by Embracer Group CEO on restructuring program - Embracer Group

The actions will include, but not be limited to, closing or divestments of some studios and the termination or pausing of some ongoing game development projects. It will also include decreased spending on non-development costs such as overhead and other operating expenses. We will reduce third party publishing and put greater focus on internal IP and increase external funding of large-budget games.
The potential impact from the program of future game releases will almost entirely be around unannounced projects.

Seethe

Arbiter
Just read an article from Vávra where he writes about the current state of AI and how due to the quick advances of the learning language model stuff, his current project is probably the last "traditionally developed" game he works on. Since in the future games he expects e.g. to only write key story aspects and scenes, while all the fluff text will be generated based on various inputs he sets (character histories, relationships, tastes, preferences..).
On one hand I can see the appeal of not having to waste so much time writing secondary text, on the other...meh.
This AI fad has done a really great job of exposing hacks writers and artists. In almost every case the people who believe it can replace them are exactly the ones that should be.
It can replace the very people it's stealing from, in the appropriate conditions. If you draw 100 cool pictures in 3 years and someone takes your pictures and trains some AI on them, they'll be able to swarm the internet with 20.000 variations of your art, and no one will truly know who the true author is. The problem is that we live in the world of "just good enough". So an exec will fire an expensive good writer or artist to replace them with AI gargle in order to cut some corners. It's why you have hilariously terrible localization for Windows 11 right now. Indie company Microsoft decided to cut some corners with machine translation, because hiring actual translators was too damn expensive for their modest pockets. Now you have an absolute hilarious mess, with translated sentences in a literal sense, not accounting for ridiculous expressions, mixing homonyms etc. So no, it won't replace just the hacks, it will affect even the few good ones who put effort into the work they respect because it's all about profits. Expect most of everything you ever liked to be downgraded further from this point onward.

Last edited:

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Warhorse is in full creative control of the project. There is no creative influence from the outside. And I observed exactly zero instances of some pre-emptive self-regulation in fear of our German/Scandinavian overlords.

Very glad to read this.

So, since you can only announce where you went after you physically get there, I assume it is abroad. Let's place some bets.

I expect it to be either Belgium (Larian), US (Obsidian), or Poland (CDP or Techland).
Congratz Paul_cz on guessing right
Infiltration successful:

Smejki

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yo @Smejki how big is Larian now, if it's not a secret? From what they showed of BG3 it seems at least a few hundred?
That's not a secret, over 400 people across multiple studios.
Congratz @Paul_cz on guessing right
It's not like it was a difficult guess. Congrats, and so you have been on BG3 for almost a year already? Scripting quests I gather?
What is bigger pain in the ass, divinity engine or cryengine? :p

Smejki

Developer
Congratz @Paul_cz on guessing right
It's not like it was a difficult guess. Congrats, and so you have been on BG3 for almost a year already? Scripting quests I gather?
What is bigger pain in the ass, divinity engine or cryengine? :p
Yep, since September. All major content was already owned by others so I mainly took care of some less important details content-wise. Plus all tutorals. But being a associate lead (local lead in the studio, each has one) also means that big chunk of my time actually goes to non-script work.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder what country/studio was forced to make the genitals.

Edit: Oops wrong thread, thought it was the BG3 thread.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yep, since September. All major content was already owned by others so I mainly took care of some less important details content-wise. Plus all tutorals. But being a associate lead (local lead in the studio, each has one) also means that big chunk of my time actually goes to non-script work.
Meaning, meetings and giving feedback to others I assume.

So you are living in Gent now?

Also, since I have you here and I have been trying to get this answered for months without success, will the PC release version support third person camera in witcher 3-style with direct character control via analog stick, or will it be more top down, point and click?

Smejki

Developer
Edit: Oops wrong thread, thought it was the BG3 thread.
All threads are BG3 threads now. :swen:
So you are living in Gent now?
Yup
oldman-yells-at-belgium.png

Also, since I have you here and I have been trying to get this answered for months without success, will the PC release version support third person camera in witcher 3-style with direct character control via analog stick, or will it be more top down, point and click?
The controls and camera as far as I am aware are basically identical to DOS2. I have no DOS2 experience with gamepad though. Were you not able to control your avatar with a thumbstick there?

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Enjoy the fries. A few ground rules:
  • It's curryworst not frikandel.
  • Drink beer out of the appropriate glass.
  • If you need waste beer, it's only allowed to be done with Cara Pils.
  • Avoid the south.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom