Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game does not only got English voice overs, it go the English weather too!

Sentinel

Arcane
I've been playing for the past day and I'm extremely impressed. If this keeps up and the game gets patched I don't have many doubts that the game will become a modern classic.

That said, why the fuck do cutscenes run like complete shit?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks, agris ! From my own observations, I was already suspecting that heapsize doesn't do anything. I learned of "+ exec user.cfg" today from some guide, and I'm using it, but my "hide the compass" command doesn't seem to hold for long. I have managed to disable vsync however, so I know the cfg file is loading.

Do you think/is there evidence that tinkering with the RAM available will be much use? I've always tended to have faith in the people with PhDs who write the memory management logic and algorithms.

Something funny I've noticed today - KCD may run laggy when I up the resolution, but even then my videocard temperature remains low, while other games (GTAV, D:OS2) look and run smooth but nevertheless raise the chip temperature over 70'.

In other news, I just spoke with Radzig & co. at Rattay. I haven't played more than 10-15 hours, but I'm awed for a second time by this game! In my personal experience, it was a perfect unison between player and game character. From my past experience with RPGs, I was expecting that as soon as I reach Radzig, he would have some words of reproach for me, due to the way I left Talmberg, but would somehow be happy to take me back in and give me a "quest". I also imagined that the exchange would be under the sign of Henry apologizing for losing the blade, and asking to be allowed to serve as a soldier to Radzig.

It felt like a stroke of genius how my predisposition of a trained RPG player expecting the usual, and Henry's naive ideas first were surprisingly united, and then collectively clashed with the realism and cynicism of "older men". The writing in this scene was on par with anything in Witcher 3. I was sitting jaw dropped in front of the screen and thinking "now he should say this", "now the other one should reply that", and what happened was exactly what I thought, but better worded.

Those were moments of roleplaying. I actully were in Henry's shoes, or as close to that as possible. Great work! Could it be that KCD will turn out to be at the same time a storyfag's paradise, a larper's paradise, a historian's paradise, and a c&c paradise? Time will tell.

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Do you guys know if there’s any way to make a stolen horse my official horse? I just nabbed one from bandits but don’t know how to swap the new guy in for Pebbles. Maybe it’s not doable. Taking him to Neuhof to see if a stable can help.

Playing GTA taught us to repaint it.

Wuddaboutta haircut?

Thinking_3a01b4_6377584.gif

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Why are there so many snooze inducing side quests ? Every single one consists in a peasant sending me in the middle of the fucking woods, asking me to find a needle in a haystack and play detective Columbo for half an hour. I would understand if they were a little more action oriented, at least it will keep me entertained for a while, but most of them are basic fetch quests that consists in investigating something, find some plants, find a horse, bring me this, bring me that. There's a war going on, dangerous degenerates are roaming the lands and all you can give me is constant peasantry boring me to tears with their boring problems.

The main problem is that you can't find enemies 90% of time if you roam the map without the activities activated and most of these activities given to you by the bailifs consist in a bunch of dumb ruffians placed in the same dumb camp again and again, there's not a single decent action oriented quest with a well designed encounter and that's my biggest gripe with this game.

The side quests aren't really like that. What you are describing are 'activities' the actual side quests have story scenes and more involved quests.

No, I'm talking about the sidequests and I can actually prove it to you

A Man of the Cloth- Find a priest for the peasants
Tough Love- Find a house for Elishka to live in
At you service My Lady- gather a bunch of crap for lady of Talmberg
Aquarius- Find a cook and 5 carries for the Bailif
Pestilance- Find a cure for the peasants
Tricks of The Trade- Listen to some bullshit blacksmith spell
The Horse that Bolted- Find the horse in the middle of fucking nowhere
The Sport of Kings- Talk with someone
A bird in the Hand- Catch birds
A friend in need- find jobs for your friends
Next to Godliness- Drink with Hans
Courtship- Fuck Theresa

And the list goes on and on, I wouldn't mind if there was some balance between menial tasks and some challenging combat, but 90% of the time it's pure boredom running from village to village resolving some pesky squabble between peasants.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Smejki , I found out what the problem was with people and guards acting as if I'm in stealth when I was right in front of them.

Actually my reputation was very low, and when it's very low, and you are a little distance from them, they speak the same lines as if you are sneaking and they suspect they see/hear something.

This brings me to the question of why my reputation was low. When I first passed the good thief quest, I choke-held the executioner who was sitting at his table. Normally, I thought, this would mean no witnesses and no crime reported. But apparently there had been some glitch, mostly because I had come too close to him before pressing F, instead of tapping it as soon as they key hint appeared. He had somehow "seen" me while I had been taking him down, and when he had come to, he had me reported.

While I was returning from the other miller, to whom I had brought the ring, I passed near Rattay's walls. Suddenly I got a "light crime/fine" icon next to my compass. Because it was dark, I assumed that I had been seen by some guard and he wrongly counted me as "breaking night curfew". But when I tried to enter Rattay on the next day, the guard at the gate told me that I had "crippled" someone. That's how I understood that my actual crime had been the taking down of the executioner.

On a sidenote, the Bath works a little weird. They will only wash the clothes/armor you are currently wearing, but not whatever you have, and choose to wash from, your inventory. Also, no matter how many articles of clothing you will get washed, the price is always the same.

Tigranes

Arcane
Shouldn't you stop playing, if you hate it so much?

I'm undecided on the balance, so far. I don't really want KCD to have more 'epic' stuff, so I'm totally fine with gathering a bunch of crap for the lady. The real question is from a gameplay point of view. The hare hunt or the horse that bolted, as menial as they may be, were actually highlights for me, because they are good examples of how the game systems and quest design encourage you to explore and experience the forest, the game, the archery, the navigation, etc. as an actual medieval peasant/squire/mercenary might. But the whole game can't be full of that, or that quality is going to wear off and then it is going to feel like any other fedex quest. So it really depends for me on how the mix is 20-30 hours in.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the game but I do agree with dragonul09 . So far it seems only the main quest has any cool medieval political intrigue or combat. Everything else is just fluff, sure some random fun scenes get played but there is so much busy work to get to those scenes.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Shouldn't you stop playing, if you hate it so much?

I'm undecided on the balance, so far. I don't really want KCD to have more 'epic' stuff, so I'm totally fine with gathering a bunch of crap for the lady. The real question is from a gameplay point of view. The hare hunt or the horse that bolted, as menial as they may be, were actually highlights for me, because they are good examples of how the game systems and quest design encourage you to explore and experience the forest, the game, the archery, the navigation, etc. as an actual medieval peasant/squire/mercenary might. But the whole game can't be full of that, or that quality is going to wear off and then it is going to feel like any other fedex quest. So it really depends for me on how the mix is 20-30 hours in.

No cause I paid money and can't refund after playing so much, so there's that. And yes the game is brimming with fetch quests to the point that I'm already starting to ignore them because it's just a big waste of time just to see a small boring cutscene of a peasant thanking me for menial crap I did for him. The only thing worthwhile in this game is the main story which has some nice action here and there, but replaying the side quests in the future? Never.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Tough Love- Find a house for Elishka to live in
I found this quest has a followup. And since I solved it so Elishka would stay, she told me where to search for her sad now-hubby. A light c&c right there.

carrying shit
I liked talking to them all after and seeing how they actually work, although mine seemed pleased enough (except that merchant was sick of Agathas preaching to Lord lol). I wonder if you make like old woman who cried about whooping your ass carry shit what will happen... hey, it pays double!

It was one of the first quests and I already had to grab a sheet of paper and a pencil and write some notes down about who likes what. Good sign for rpg quest design.

Last edited:

titus

Arcane
Patron
Have been playing this for the last two days, the game is great. Haven't had this much fun since ELEX. Encountered some collision bugs from which one made me jump and lose 90% of my health. Good thing I have the save mod :argh:

Nael

Arcane
Spamming links to that 'Gamergate' interview seems to be a pretty common tactic at the moment, but can be a bit amusing when it falls flat +M

eg comments on Polygon article:

mf2VLr.png

"SJW is a banned word on Polygon" - Hahaha.

Fucking Stasi cunts.

What a bunch of miserable ppl. I almost feel sorry for them, but I don't, and I hope they burn in Hell.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I found this article on optimization, which I think is rather good. It also mentions a trick to turn off your single utilized core's affinity and thus use all your CPU cores. I am not noticing significant improvements in framerate though.
https://segmentnext.com/2018/02/14/kingdom-come-deliverance-fps-boost-optimizations-tweaks/

There is a boost that gives you about 10% more fps, you have to look at your cpu cores, one is at 100% (CPU1 most of the time) in the taskmanager go to the kdc task rightclick-> affinity and tick off this core, afterwards all cores will be used evenly.

I dunno about affinities, my CPU cores all around seem to be well utilized, every single one sticking relatively at the same rate of load. There's one core that pushes slightly further but it's more along lines of 70/80/70/70 in wild.

Played for a couple more hours, and the framerate has tanked a bit (I'm now past the credits and onto the 3rd town), now I'm averaging 40fps in towns. It's not terrible and the game still hasn't crashed. I suspect most people having problems with decent machines have installed the game in a mechanical hard drive - do yourself a favour and install it on an SSD. Makes a world of difference.

I've also switched to gamepad even though I prefer to play most games with mouse & keyboard - the fighting system just seems tailor made for a gamepad. I switch back to the mouse during lockpicking though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People should not be too overjoyed about that Quit&Save fix. Vavra right now - "we will add autosaves and probably quit-saves that auto-delete after a load, to avoid exploits".

Jesus, these guys are fucking DETERMINED to keep pissing off 95% of their player base. Because even most prestigious gamers hate that system. Plus THERE IS ALREADY A MOD!

I understand this game would never exist if it wasn't for Vavra earth-shattering pigheadedness but the side effects sometimes...christ.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I've spent a very long time now practicing against Bernard.

Master strikes (the counter-attack on perfectly timed blocks) makes fighting high-level enemies retarded. They can master strike you just about every time unless you're thrusting at them from a distance away and shift backwards immediately after. And unless you're far away and shift-walk away from them right away, I can't find any other way to avoid the master strike. You just get locked into an animation of getting punched in the head or halfsworded in the gut. Pretty cheesy since you'd otherwise half to complete a combo move to get those animations but master striking makes it as easy as pressing Q at the right time. Too be clear I'm talking about those animations that slightly zoom you in and lock your camera, not the AI's other ability to launch into a high-speed combo right after blocking you which IS blockable.

Swinging at high-level enemies is too high risk with these unblockable counters, so it's better to wait for them to attack you so that you can get easy-cheesy master-strikes on them instead.

Maybe I'm missing something and it's the positioning of the enemies' weapons when you attack which causes the masterstrike animation, but the codex doesn't mention anything like that.

If there is a way to block master-strikes other than not triggering them by shift-walking, PLEASE prove me wrong.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

As for the armor, yes I have one of the best armor in the game because I killed a Cuman very early into the game and it seems that nothing can budge it
That's kind of my point though. You lucked out and got a suit of power armor from Navarro. You're using that and an AI exploit in an early version of the game.

As for the head/face being a killshot, I have no idea how you do it. I fire 10 shots in a row and can't hit a stationary rabbit in the early game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If there is a way to block master-strikes other than not triggering them by shift-walking, PLEASE prove me wrong.

I think the idea of fighting the high-level guys is to get into the parry-strike-counterparry-counterstrike loop, resembling real sword exchanges. No idea though what determines who ultimately lands a successful hit. You'd think the AI would be able to perfectly chain the parries forever. They have to have some sort of fail check.

KateMicucci

Arcane
It's easier to aim if you look at the arrow and trace the trajectory in your mind but it's hard to pull off at a high speed even at close range.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Been playing for about 6 hours now and at this point I think the game is really damn good, and I haven't even evolved any combat skills or done much side-stuff.
Had one bug tonight where a cutscene wouldn't play but it fixed with a re-load. No other bugs experienced.

It actually feels like a good game too, like an actual good game. Not just "good first impressions, gets boring/tiring after a while" like Shadowrun or DOS. A good game! On the PC! Wow!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom