Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fens

Ford of the Llies

čau dane, ňák se nám tu objevujou poslední dobou lepší a lepší zprávy, jako úspěch wasteland dvojky, to co říkaj kluci z larianu, to co plánujete vy ve warhorse atd. ... že by se konečně trend vobrátil k lepšímu ? jak to vnímaj lidi v 'herním průmyslu' ?

we're getting some good news lately (w2, larian, warhorse etc.)... do we see a real change for the better ? how do people in 'the industry' see this development?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I thought Mafia was a really solid game. If they put the same passion and attention to detail in an RPG then I don't think it will be much worse than a Bethesda title. It might even be good, if they don't focus too much on presentation and cinematics, etc.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
A big hello to Daniel. Also a big Thank You: I really liked Mafia. If it would have been more open-world with rpg elements it could have become the best game of all time.

I really love to see more games by Czech developers. In the late 90s, early 2000s they put out some great games with a very distinctive style. Hidden and Dangerous 1+2, Operation Flashpoint and Mafia. Unfortunately they were all a bit action heavy, but still very enjoyable.

What I really respect is that the Czechs often ventured into very western / american topics (Mafia), and it turned out not at all strange unlike the many Russian experiments. With Mafia you pulled off a game that has the same class as some of the best movies. With ease.

So I am not worried at all about you delivering classy style, but I hope this new RPG will also offer the challenging gameplay that we miss so much!

Oesophagus

Arcane
A dev on the codex? Must've been a wild night, huh?

Burning Bridges said:
With Mafia you pulled off a game that has the same class as some of the best movies. With ease.

I actually found out only after I had finished Mafia that it was made by Czechs. Seriously, couldn't tell while playing that it wasn't 'merican.

So what are you playing at with this RPG business? Will it be a ME third person shooter 'RPG', where stats don't matter and it's just about emotional engagements and cutscenes? Or are you honestly planning on having some sort of fairly complex stat/skill system? Because I think you've shown that you can deliver on the writing end

I really love to see more games by Czech developers. In the late 90s, early 2000s they put out some great games with a very distinctive style. Hidden and Dangerous 1+2, Operation Flashpoint and Mafia. Unfortunately they were all a bit action heavy, but still very enjoyable.

Yeah bro, I agree, it's very unfortunate how action games turn out to be a bit action heavy, I dunno what these developers are thinking.

Even though I loved first Mafia, it was guilty of having too much non-gameplay fluff (seemed pretty cool at the time though). And Mafia 2 was mostly fluff with little gameplay in between, so yeah, I hope Dan has realised it's not the way to go.

Stinger

Arcane
If we can climb ladders in the game you'll be thirty steps ahead of Bethesda.

:hearnoevil:: We are no longer using ladders in TES6: Hammerfell. What we found is that the ladders just did something else. So a fan might say "you removed my ladders now I can't get anywhere" and my answer is "Where did you want to go?” “I’ve got to have a ladder so I can get to the top!” “Well now we just get there instantly. You press a button and now you're on the second floor.” They all lead up to somewhere else so we just got rid of that. We call it Radiant Ladder climbing.

That tanget aside, nice to see another dev posting on the codex. I'll keep an eye out for this game.

Deleted member 7219

Still don't get the love for Mafia.

Had some great moments but I thought overall it was mediocre, the racing levels were a pain in the arse, couldn't forgive them for those despite being able to skip the hardest one after a patch. Shooting was a pain too. Sound design was terrible, characters looked like Thunderbirds, voice acting cliched.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I mentioned on occasion that the only reason Bethesda is so popular despite the considerable level of clumsiness and general inability to develop a well crafted, well polished game is due the fact they are the only ones delivering the type of open world, first person RPG experience a lot of people crave this days. If this game can deliver that Elder of Scrolls experience but with a good engine, a combat and stat system that is interesting and actually makes sense (no Axes as blunt weapons lol) and offers a world that is actually fun and interesting to explore i foresee it would be enough to drive Bethesda out of business forever.

Wait, what the fuck am i saying. This is the Codex. The game will probably be shit. :rpgcodex:

praetor

Arcane
If we can climb ladders in the game you'll be thirty steps ahead of Bethesda.

:hearnoevil:: We are no longer using ladders in TES6: Hammerfell. What we found is that the ladders just did something else. So a fan might say "you removed my ladders now I can't get anywhere" and my answer is "Where did you want to go?” “I’ve got to have a ladder so I can get to the top!” “Well now we just get there instantly. You press a button and now you're on the second floor.” They all lead up to somewhere else so we just got rid of that. We call it Radiant Ladder climbing.

sounds like AoD, but with an additional button press and more freedom :smug:

Burning Bridges

Yeah bro, I agree, it's very unfortunate how action games turn out to be a bit action heavy, I dunno what these developers are thinking.

Hey yo, I really should've thought of this.

:hero:

I wanted to say I wished they wouldn't have been pure action games in the first place. Which is because I don't like pure action games, you know .. But if you have a problem with that, what actually brought you here? Were you bored at the other places?

P.S. Please don't throw potatoes at me.

Burning Bridges

A dev on the codex? Must've been a wild night, huh?

Very unlikely that we will see much more of him.

Probably some co-worker has told him by now. Whhat, Mr. Vavra, you went into THAT cesspool? Didn't you know that you can only regret it bitterly? After a short moment of joy, the mood will quickly heat up. And then they will post animated gifs with your face, make jokes about your mom, abuse you in the worst way possible, while some transvestite ..

I wanted to say I wished they wouldn't have been pure action games in the first place. Which is because I don't like pure action games, you know .. But if you have a problem with that, what actually brought you here? Were you bored at the other places?

I was bored at other places, yeah. And a lot of my favorite games happen to be RPGs, so I settled for being here. Look, your taste is your bussiness, I was just saying that it's silly to want a particular genre to be something it isn't. For example, I rarely like adventure games, but I don't go around saying the genre should be more action heavy or something. I also don't like simulators. Should I be asking for them to be more arcadey?

Burning Bridges

Burning Bridges said:
With Mafia you pulled off a game that has the same class as some of the best movies. With ease.

I actually found out only after I had finished Mafia that it was made by Czechs. Seriously, couldn't tell while playing that it wasn't 'merican.

1. it always depends mostly on personal talent, not nationality
2. Czechs aren't really Eastern Europeans anyway
3. being in a place like Prague where you are provided with constant 1st class inspiration, certainly doesn't hurt either

Burning Bridges

I was bored at other places, yeah. And a lot of my favorite games happen to be RPGs, so I settled for being here. Look, your taste is your bussiness, I was just saying that it's silly to want a particular genre to be something it isn't. For example, I rarely like adventure games, but I don't go around saying the genre should be more action heavy or something. I also don't like simulators. Should I be asking for them to be more arcadey?

Yes, but I dunno. Somehow you're missing the point.

I mean, if you really love RPGs as much as you say, you should agree that e.g. System Shock 2 was a much better game than a pure action game. So please don't lecture me on a rpg site, in a thread about an upcoming rpg, that it's wrong to express a wish for more rpg elements.

Daniel.Vavra

Warhorse Studios
Developer
Thanks for the warm welcome :) Its too early to say any details about the game, but I hope you will not be disappointed. I am just finishing writing of our crime/law rules and its damn sophisticated and looong (more than 30 pages so far). Stealth games better be prepared :) (and no, we are not developing stealth game) Now we "just" need to implement it... and its helluva task to do. So keep your fingers crossed ;) Also we are going to blog about it every month and as open and honestly as possible, so if you want to be informed about it, follow us on twitter @warhorsestudios

Oesophagus

Arcane
Its too early to say any details about the game, but I hope you will not be disappointed. I am just finishing writing of our crime/law rules and its damn sophisticated and looong (more than 30 pages so far). Stealth games better be prepared :) (and no, we are not developing stealth game)

Well, this got me mildly interested. Is it possible? Are quality RPGs coming back? I won't go into optimism mode, lest I jinx it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As long as guards aren't telepathic, crime isn't a global statistics and stolen items aren't automatically flagged so, I'd be happy. If you add in the possibility of bribing guards aside from "pure" sneaking, you've already reached the level of your competition.

Burning Bridges

Its too early to say any details about the game, but I hope you will not be disappointed. I am just finishing writing of our crime/law rules and its damn sophisticated and looong (more than 30 pages so far). Stealth games better be prepared :) (and no, we are not developing stealth game)

Well, this got me mildly interested. Is it possible? Are quality RPGs coming back? I won't go into optimism mode, lest I jinx it.

They are coming back. 2012 will be known as the annus mirabilis of RPGs.

14946.jpg

Brofists Received:
I don't know what you think, but this Man look like a born Codexer to me. If he wasn't too successful in is career to loiter in a forum, he would probably have more brofists than sperm cells! Believe me, a whole fucking forest.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

They are coming back. 2012 will be known as the annus mirabilis of RPGs.

14946.jpg

Brofists Received:
I don't know what you think, but this Man look like a born Codexer to me. If he wasn't too successful in is career to loiter in a forum, he would probably have more brofists than sperm cells! Believe me, a whole fucking forest.
Would said forest be slurpable?

He's sitting out in the woods right now, coding and planning this game, fighting off wolves with DVDRWs thrown as projectile weapons.

Burning Bridges

What was said so far about the game:

open world
kick ass engine
independent studio made by some of the people behind games like Mafia
set in the Hussit period or some other absolutely cool and original setting

An almost instant buy! Also, I hereby take a solemn oath that this will be the first RPG where I won't bitch about it having real time combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom