Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Great Schism is a nice period for an RPG. We will avenge you Jan.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
14946.jpg

Brofists Received:
I don't know what you think, but this Man look like a born Codexer to me. If he wasn't too successful in is career to loiter in a forum, he would probably have more brofists than sperm cells! Believe me, a whole fucking forest.
Would said forest be slurpable?

He's sitting out in the woods right now, coding and planning this game, fighting off wolves with DVDRWs thrown as projectile weapons.

On my next vacation I will wander through the czech outdoor, hoping to meet one of those men who make Reinhold Messner look like a wimp, and create the greatest games of all time!

Oesophagus

Arcane
Burning Bridges said:
set in the Hussit period or some other absolutely cool and original setting

You know, this is something that I'm looking forward to. Pretty sick of generic fantasy settings with elves and dwarves and dragons running around the place, I hope they can pull of a setting which actually would be interesting to explore.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

kris

Arcane
I mentioned on occasion that the only reason Bethesda is so popular despite the considerable level of clumsiness and general inability to develop a well crafted, well polished game is due the fact they are the only ones delivering the type of open world, first person RPG experience a lot of people crave this days. If this game can deliver that Elder of Scrolls experience but with a good engine, a combat and stat system that is interesting and actually makes sense (no Axes as blunt weapons lol) and offers a world that is actually fun and interesting to explore i foresee it would be enough to drive Bethesda out of business forever.

I just dont see why another succesful open world game would put Bethesda out of business. Is there really only space and customers for one game in this genre? IMO it is more likely that another succesful game of this style would bring in more customers than less. Especially since there are years between their release dates.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Learn to read. I said Bethesda is successful only because they have no competition, their games being quite shitty even by mainstream standards. The only reason for their popularity is due the fact there is a demand for first person, sandbox RPGs, and they are the only ones producing those type of games. It doesn't matter how incompetent they are as developers, since they have nobody to compete with. But if a company was to release a game in the same genre that's actually good, suddenly everybody would realize just how crappy of a company Bethesda really is. I reckon a lot of people are already well aware of this, but are in denial since they have no alternative.

Captain Shrek

Learn to read. I said Bethesda is successful only because they have no competition, their games being quite shitty even by mainstream standards. The only reason for their popularity is due the fact there is a demand for first person, sandbox RPGs, and they are the only ones producing those type of games. It doesn't matter how incompetent they are as developers, since they have nobody to compete with. But if a company was to release a game in the same genre that's actually good, suddenly everybody would realize just how crappy of a company Bethesda really is. I reckon a lot of people are already well aware of this, but are in denial since they have no alternative.

Too true unfortunately.

kris

Arcane

I think you confuse the codex with "the world". Just check around other forums and what people in general say about Skyrim, they love it and few really think it is bad in any way. Someone would even marry it, hell, their current track record is set as good. (outside the codex for sure) And even if you said was true and another much better game came around then that would not put Bethesda out of business. Like I said, people still keep on buying their games if for nothing else than there is only one game like that coming out every second year. Problem would only arise if games are released at the same time, that is the only time they will steal sales from each other.

I can't see any basis for what you said, past "wishful thinking". Personally I just wish this project is good, i don't get much personal satisfaction from a company going under at any rate.

Sul

Savant

I think you confuse the codex with "the world". Just check around other forums and what people in general say about Skyrim, they love it and few really think it is bad in any way. Someone would even marry it, hell, their current track record is set as good. (outside the codex for sure) And even if you said was true and another much better game came around then that would not put Bethesda out of business. Like I said, people still keep on buying their games if for nothing else than there is only one game like that coming out every second year. Problem would only arise if games are released at the same time, that is the only time they will steal sales from each other.

I can't see any basis for what you said, past "wishful thinking". Personally I just wish this project is good, i don't get much personal satisfaction from a company going under at any rate.
Lyric Suite is not wrong, but he is not completely right. Bethesda (and TES) is already a big name, just like CoD or WoW no other game will appear out of nowhere and take their fanbase away.
But yeah, most people think their games are the best thing ever because they simply don't have experience with similar games, otherwise they would not be so forgiving or outright ignore major flaws like they do today.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Lyric Suite is not wrong, but he is not completely right. Bethesda (and TES) is already a big name, just like CoD or WoW no other game will appear out of nowhere and take their fanbase away.
But yeah, most people think their games are the best thing ever because they simply don't have experience with similar games, otherwise they would not be so forgiving or outright ignore major flaws like they do today.

New Vegas was a good game yet many Bethesda fans still preferred piece of shit of a Fallout 3 claiming it had better story, characters and world design.

Untermensch

Augur

I don't think that there are actually much games similar to the Elder Scrolls(completely open-go whererever you want-world Rpgs). If someone manages to deliver a good Elder scrolls type game, they will certanly sell much, especially since Bethesda releases Elders srolls once every 4-5 years.

Sul

Savant

New Vegas was a good game yet many Bethesda fans still preferred piece of shit of a Fallout 3 claiming it had better story, characters and world design.
Yeah, I know. And that makes sense because Fallout 3 is a better introduction for the post-apocalyptic setting than New Vegas, afterall, how many open-world post-apocalyptic first-person games where released before? The same goes for Oblivion, it's the baby-first (and only) experience available for the new console fanbase.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, I know. And that makes sense because Fallout 3 is a better introduction for the post-apocalyptic setting than New Vegas, afterall, how many open-world post-apocalyptic first-person games where released before? The same goes for Oblivion, it's the baby-first (and only) experience available for the new console fanbase.

But its still a far better game in pretty much every aspect, it has nothing to do with the setting but the gameplay itself, and many Bathesda fans were unable to see that. Its like those hipsters that want to buy Iphone, even if Apple competition releases a better and cheaper product they wont care since to them Iphone/Apple represent something superior to every other product no matter the facts.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the famous imperial city of Lhota, the capitol of the world and largest agglomeration in the known universe, whose fame touches the stars.
The city consists of precisely fifteen buildings (one of which is the imperial palace); the town is inhabited by 30 NPCs

:avatard:
you know how to scare people, bearded man.

Aww hell yeah hotspot locations with travel inbetween/pointless areas abstracted out, this is the shit I was talking about.

In any case to answer the question we need to know more about the game actually, for example with the GTA games you can still get in trouble with the law, mess around with civilians and so forth, so what kind of gameplay related realism are you aiming for here?

You can simulate great distances with 2D overmap travel, but even waiting for a dot to move to the next city along a line is pointless if you don't have possible gameplay consequences, like nutrition/water/shelter needs, bandit encounters, wild animal encounters etc

for example, say you were to model the whole of the forest and mountain range. Would there be anything more for the player to do than to consult a map and press the forward button, maybe jump once in a while?

In lieu of further information I would have to say the third option: reasonably compressed, plus extra care to not have the npcs say something like 'town A is three days away' and you end up reaching it in eight minutes walk with a fight in the middle. Like the supermarket in fallout 3 with raiders that is just a short walk away from megaton, the nearest town.

DraQ you've probably thought more about this than I have

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom