Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Another thing that I think has not been talked about is the effect that compression creates in the vertical. I have seen numerous games (especially strategy / TW like games) where the terrain was only compressed in the xy plane, creating an absolutely unrealistically steep topography.

So for every scaling it is important to also adjust the vertical direction accordingly, otherwise it ruins the camera and general impression of realism.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Just limit fast travel to the roads. Roads represent some function of civilization and stepping off the beaten path has always been a fundamental cog for adventuring tropes.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I read this : http://games.tiscali.cz/tema/100-duvodu-proc-dan-vavra-nesnasi-tes-v-skyrim-57711.

A bit nitpicky in places, but it's nice nevertheless.

However, I do get this awful feeling that the game might end up as vapourware. It almost sounds too good to be true. Hussites? Fuck yeah.

A couple of things :

1) Please no cheap looking plastic replicas of arms & armour (as seen in Skyrim). There's plenty of historical material to draw upon for inspiriation. I'm fucking tired of bullshit fantasy designs that pollute the whole genre with inane crap as seen in Dragon Age or Skyrim.

2) Character advancement. We want more options - we want perks, traits, skills, attributes, ability trees etc. That used to be half the fun of playing RPGs. No more.

3) Combat - just anything other than Skyrim's fast slash/slow slash would be good to be honest.

As people have said in this topic, there's a big market for an open world RPG and we're stuck with Bethesda unfortunately.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
blog_013_1.jpg

I saw this picture and thought to myself: "Well, this project certainly looks... interesting", and then I read this:

Who does it bother that half-naked barbarian women are running around in three feet of snow in their favorite RPG? Maybe only miserable female cosplayers who decide to have their picture taken for real in a fur bikini in a snowdrift and discover that at -20 degrees it’s good to be wearing more than a thong, tassels over your nipples and a helmet and that their sword has frozen to their hand.

What a shame. How are you going to sell this stuff? You are also going to break a very old tradition, because RPGs have always been full of half-naked barbarian chicks running around.

kris

Arcane
In fact I think it's much more important to have a clever distribution of civilized and uncivilized areas. I also think if some of the uncivilized areas are also practically unknown and uncharted, it could become really cool to go there.

I just envisioned in my mind how I would do this and this part is what I felt most strongly about. The world should really be more divided in zones/regions with differeing levels of civilization.

1. Big city. No monster near it, can easily fast travel to other cities that is connected with road and has been visited before. Fights would be with assassins or hostile factions.

2. Farmlands. Possible monster in outskirts. should be able to hitch a ride with wagons and similar transports.

3. Remote towns. Bases for exploring. Still a "safe" zone around it unless it is under some kind of siege. could fast travel back to big cities.

4. Wilderness. should be in different levels, both as in how dangerous and what can be found.

5. Boats should be able to be used in fast travel or if engine allows, you actually sit in the boat while travelling (can create more interesting gameplay!). some cities should only be reachable by boat.

6. all fast travel should be able to be interrupted by random events.

7. If you have realms that are hostile to each other then you shouldn't be able to easily fast travel between them.

Sul

Savant
Glad they are doing well with publishers. I just fear that, just like Sven said, the scope of the project is too big for them to chew.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Great project, deserves more attention. I really hope they get the funding and support this will require.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
3f89d0f8414d11e2a7d622000a9e298f_7.jpg

warhorserpg1.jpg.jpg

warhorserpg3.jpg.jpg

Demoing the engine in some dev conference, not necessarily what will be in the finished game:

sser

Arcane
Developer
If I can blow a house to pieces with a fireball they can have my wallet.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
If I can blow a house to pieces with a fireball they can have my wallet.
I am waiting to use telekinesis on enemies and use them as projectiles. That thing would be perfect for CryEngine.

Data4

Arcane
Wow. Gotta admit, that's the best implementation of bloom/HDR I've ever seen in a video game. Maybe a little on the bright side, but it looks more or less natural at least.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Too bad it will be all looks and no substance whatsoever, since all development costs will be shifted into graphxi1!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Too bad it will be all looks and no substance whatsoever, since all development costs will be shifted into graphxi1!
People like you said the same thing about Ultima Underworld and Doom back in the early 1990s.

"They are wasting everything on graphics, and forgetting about how to make a game. This will be terrible!"

Hell, some 1980s reviews said the same about Pools of Radiance. One reviewer slammed it for having any graphics at all, saying that graphics are for arcade games, not serious RPGs.

Strange how having good graphics is itself considered a problem, and has been for the past 30 years.

racofer

Thread Incliner
We are no longer back in the 90s or the 80s, wyrmie. The circumstances might look the same, but the reality of the world, today, is quite different.

MCA
As a general rule of thumb, if you know more about how a CRPG will likely look than how it will play, it's likely the game will suck, mostly because developers striving towards good RPG mechanics aren't shy of talking about it.

Gord

Arcane
From what I've read about their project so far, they are still in an very early stage and looking for someone to fund it?

Gord

Arcane
My impression is that they themselves don't completely know so far how it is supposed to play, with the exception that they want it to have an as realistic as possible (in the limits of gameplay) open world.
We will see if they succeed with that (I'm a bit skeptic).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom