Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Master

Arbiter
Why is the Codex so stoked for this? Seems pretty bethesdoid.

Paul_cz

Arcane
27fps, I wonder if that's a console version. Seems to be connected to a PC down on the ground.

Why is the Codex so stoked for this? Seems pretty bethesdoid.
Because it is being developed/directed/written by a guy who wrote most infamous czech videogame article of all time, "100+ reasons why I hate Skyrim". The shitstorm was glorious, one for the ages.

Sprout

Educated
I wonder if they're going to add different idles and some animation to the dialogues, looks kind of silly and awkward. Which is curious, as this hasn't previously been a problem for me in other games. Might be the result of the photorealistic artstyle. The game is still luckily ways off, but I'd be a bitt befuddled if they didn't address it.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I wonder if they're going to add different idles and some animation to the dialogues, looks kind of silly and awkward. Which is curious, as this hasn't previously been a problem for me in other games. Might be the result of the photorealistic artstyle. The game is still luckily ways off, but I'd be a bitt befuddled if they didn't address it.
Obviously yes, the footage from E3 is unfinished when it comes to dialogue animations etc. Already confirmed.

I was checking the warhorse blog again and there are such great articles there, oldied but goldies

Overkill Design
https://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_013&lang=en

A Lesson in Cartography in Potato Land
https://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_011&lang=en

and many more.
So good.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Obviously yes, the footage from E3 is unfinished when it comes to dialogue animations etc. Already confirmed.

I was checking the warhorse blog again and there are such great articles there, oldied but goldies

Overkill Design

and many more.
So good.
Dan Vavra is now my game design God!

He even dislikes infinite inventories, same as I do!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://xboxtavern.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-interview/

KINGDOM COME: DELIVERANCE – INTERVIEW

kingcomedelint128177.jpg

With 2017 over half way through, we take a look ahead to see what sits on the horizon for 2018. One such title that stands out is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which is set to arrive on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, on February 13th.

It’s undeniably one of the most anticipated games of Q1 2018, and as such, we fired a few questions over to Rick Lagnese, US Community Manager for Warhorse Studios. We’ve included one of the most recent trailers for the game above if you want to get a first hand look.

XT – Can you please give a brief summary of the game for those that are not up to speed?

RL – Kingdom Come: Deliverance is an open world, first person medieval rpg set in Bohemia in 1403. You play as Henry, son of a blacksmith, and you are on a quest for vengeance as your parents, friends and almost everyone else you know has been slaughtered in your hometown Skalice, by King Sigismund and his mercenary raid of Hungary. Furthermore, your King, Wenceslas IV, has been abducted by Sigismund and what’s very interesting is that they are half-brothers! Henry will attempt to restore balance as fate drags him into a very bloody conflict.

XT – Kingdom Come: Deliverance is easily one of the most ambitious games coming in early 2018. Are you feeling the pressure to open a new year with such an in-depth experience?

RL – There is always pressure to deliver a very high quality, enjoyable and historically accurate medieval game. However, I believe that we thrive on pressure. Our fans have given us much support through our Kickstarter and we have had plenty of feedback by now. We are looking forward to seeing gamers enjoy a very fun and exciting game that we’ve all been working on for quite some time now.

XT – The game houses many different pathways for many different situations, all of which tend to come with consequences and specific outcomes that alter the journey in the game for the player. How unique would you say Kingdom Come: Deliverance is on this front, next to the likes of (let’s say) The Witcher?

RL – The Witcher is a great game in its own right. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a game where we want every player to really think about the choices that they make as many choices will produce different results, even to the point of triggering different cut scenes. We won’t tell you how to solve quests. You will have to figure out what you are going to do and how you are going to approach every situation.

XT – I understand that development of the game is complete, and that you plan to spend the next several months optimising and addressing any issues to ensure a smooth launch. Are you at all able to share how much longevity the game is set to offer?

RL – Gamers can expect to get a good 50 hours in or more, depending on how you play the game. We’ve seen players play far more than that in the beta, so it’s really up to the player. There’s also a tad over 4 hours of cutscenes in the game, so expect to get deeply involved in the story.

XT – The events that unfold in Kingdom Come: Deliverance are said to be historically accurate aside from the personal story of protagonist, Henry. Does this level of historical accuracy extend beyond the story? Such as how we see NPC’s living every day life, how they’re treated by one another, and by the law?

RL – Well sure! We want to immerse everyone into a very realistic setting/experience in the land of Bohemia. We even have a full-time historian that works with us to ensure that nearly everything is time period accurate: the culture, clothing, armor, weapons, artwork, religion, the crime system and more.

kingcomedelint1281777.jpg

XT – How valuable has feedback been from Kickstarter backers in regards to shaping the overall package?

RL – Very much so, of course. We’ve been able to make it this far because of them. We will continue to communicate and listen to our backers post launch as well!

XT – Kingdom Come: Deliverance offers up timed sensitive quests. Will these affect the arc of the story?

RL – While there is only one ending to the story (history will repeat itself) how you get there is up to you. What’s also interesting is that if you fail a particular quest, you may be given an opportunity to go about it an entirely different way. You may regret a timed-sensitive decision you made, but that doesn’t mean that all hope is lost.

XT – Quests play a massive role in the game, with many of them leaning on player choice. Do you anticipate a lot of replay value in this regard?

RL – Absolutely. You could probably get through 80% of the game without killing anyone, yet maybe in your next playthrough you decide to be like Spartacus and kill them all! Maybe you’ll regret some choices that you made in the first playthrough that causes you to want to go back and make different decisions in your second time around.

XT – Is it fair to assume, depending on how a player moves through the journey – being either peaceful or relentless, that we’ll be seeing different versions of Henry by the end game?

RL – Henry will grow up and mature more as the game progresses, that’s for sure. Throughout all the choices that are made in the game, there will still be one concrete ending.

XT – Many RPG games have a tendency of relying on elements of fantasy, however Kingdom Come: Deliverance seems to be completely without it. Was this fully authentic representation a decision you all made from the start of development?

RL – Indeed. Dan Vavra has always wanted it to be this way. Afterall, he is from Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic and he takes much pride in making KCD a historically accurate driven game that pays homage to homeland.

kingcomedelint12817.jpg

XT – Can we expect to see DLC and post launch support?

RL – You can definitely expect to see DLC and post launch support. We had some things we said we would do in our Kickstarter that were not able to make it into the game, so we will see how we can iron it out into DLC. Mod support will also be available in some way, shape or form post launch.

XT – How difficult is the game aiming to be?

RL – In the 15th century in medieval Bohemia, it took time to learn how to use a sword, or a bow or a spear. In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, you will be able to train and learn how to use your weapons and you will also learn very quickly that you’re not Thor *laughs* There’s no magic and no fantasy in our game, so you will have to hone your skills and while doing this, you will be able to unlock perks to assist you and help you as you progress throughout the game.

XT – Taking the setting into account, there’s naturally going to be some fairly large scale battles and confrontations. Are you able to say how many enemies will be populating the screen at any given time?

RL – We’re still working on this but we have shown that our beta was able to demonstrate a 60 man skirmish.

XT – There’s more than one way to skin a cat. That’s a phrase that I think suits the mechanics of the game quite well, being that you can approach a situation from a wide range of angles to achieve different results. Will players be able to counter a consequence that they’re not happy with? Or is it pretty much a case of making your bed and laying in it?

RL – These are great questions! As mentioned before, you are able to counter consequences that you are not happy with. If you’ve seen our Gamescom build, we showed what happens when you lose the fight with Kunesh. You can do a side quest where you can convince 3 other guys to beat up Kunesh if you are willing to do something for them first.

In other instances, you will most definitely make your bed and lay down in it. If you want to kill the shop keeper, then you won’t be able to buy from them anymore! Man, I just cannot wait to see what everyone’s experience(s) will be, but it will be fun nonetheless!

XT – Is there anything in particular that you’re proud of in Kingdom Come: Deliverance?

RL – We are proud of the support we’ve been given by our fans to make such a fun and enjoyable experience this coming February. We are proud to pay homage to medieval Bohemia in the early 15th century, all-the-while making an awesome video game out of it!

Thanks a lot for your time Rick, we appreciate it. Readers, as aforementioned, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is due out early next year. If this isn’t on your watch list, now is the time to remedy that. Stay tuned and as always, we’ll keep you in the loop.

Quillon

Arcane
Another community manager interview... meh. Interviews should be for developer insight, not some marketing guy hyping up the game with memorized answers...

mildTea

Learned

Overkill Design

and many more.
So good.

Vávra has a great gift in coming up with many good design ideas based in reality. However, he doesn't know when to stop. Recall 20 laps race with real-like physics of 30s cars or his recent "tough" decision to cut off the blacksmithing and dog companion from KC:D, because it would take too much time to fulfil Vávra's vision. Btw. here is Vávra saying how it's sad that Bethesda came with the dog in F4 first, when they had had it planned for a long time. He also mentions that the F4 dog can do all the stuff that their dog should be able to do. I have the feeling that he was a bit jealous of F4 and so extended the scope of their dog's abilities and than ran out of time on it. We'll see whether the dog comes as DLC at least.

And a second problem with Vávra is his unique ability to "shit in his own mouth" as Czechs say. It means criticizing somebody for something and then doing the same. For example here Vávra rants about Fargo having enough money and not needing to go to Kickstarter. Well we know what happened a year later...

Nonetheless, I'm excited that KC:D is being done and I keep my fingers crossed that it ends up being awesome.

You can't compare some KCD dog to F4 dog. F4 dog had RadiantAI. If they put a dog like the F4 dog into KCD, hell, it would proclaim itself HRE Emperor and conquer both the Hungarians and the Bohemians.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Vávra has a great gift in coming up with many good design ideas based in reality. However, he doesn't know when to stop. Recall 20 laps race with real-like physics of 30s cars or his recent "tough" decision to cut off the blacksmithing and dog companion from KC:D, because it would take too much time to fulfil Vávra's vision. Btw. here is Vávra saying how it's sad that Bethesda came with the dog in F4 first, when they had had it planned for a long time. He also mentions that the F4 dog can do all the stuff that their dog should be able to do. I have the feeling that he was a bit jealous of F4 and so extended the scope of their dog's abilities and than ran out of time on it. We'll see whether the dog comes as DLC at least.

And a second problem with Vávra is his unique ability to "shit in his own mouth" as Czechs say. It means criticizing somebody for something and then doing the same. For example here Vávra rants about Fargo having enough money and not needing to go to Kickstarter. Well we know what happened a year later...

Nonetheless, I'm excited that KC:D is being done and I keep my fingers crossed that it ends up being awesome.

He is a perfectionist. Oh no such terrible property to have as a developer.

And in the end, he was right. Both Broken Age from Schaffer and Wasteland 2 from Fargo...sucked :D
Plus they did not need Kickstarter to survive as companies. Warhorse did, if they could avoid crowdfunding, they would.

Of course, there is a nonzero change KCD will suck too, we'll see.

mildTea

Learned
Plus they did not need Kickstarter to survive as companies. Warhorse did, if they could avoid crowdfunding, they would.

If you listen to the linked video for a bit longer (around here https://youtu.be/VDJTast7EBg?t=2066) , Vávra says that it's stupid to go and ask people for 200k so you can show your investor that people are interested and he gives you the remaining 1800k. Then he did exactly this.

I know they needed it in the end, but I just find it incredibly ironic how he talked about people who had done these things before him and then he ended up doing the same. Same thing with underestimating the development time and then still cutting features. He really needs someone at his side to tell him: "Stop Dan, it's enough features, enough perfectionism. Now we make the thing and hope we don't delay for more than 2 years."

Anyway, let's hope KCD rocks.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If you listen to the linked video for a bit longer (around here https://youtu.be/VDJTast7EBg?t=2066) , Vávra says that it's stupid to go and ask people for 200k so you can show your investor that people are interested and he gives you the remaining 1800k. Then he did exactly this.

I know they needed it in the end, but I just find it incredibly ironic how he talked about people who had done these things before him and then he ended up doing the same. Same thing with underestimating the development time and then still cutting features. He really needs someone at his side to tell him: "Stop Dan, it's enough features, enough perfectionism. Now we make the thing and hope we don't delay for more than 2 years."

Anyway, let's hope KCD rocks.

And in that exact same video, he also admits that if things go sideways and they have no other choice, they will also have to go to kickstarter, yes. It is ironic, but at least he was aware of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom