Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Morgoth, Feb 9, 2012.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    There's a Toby interview in German, from what I understood with my rudimentary krautspeak he said facial animation and lipsync is the main focus of the studio right now (and prolly will be until the launch).

^ Top  
  2. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    I know that, but iirc smejki here said maybe in gamescom build it could be implemented for showcase already.

^ Top  
  3. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    The game will be released in less than a year, why bother as most people prefer pretty videos from talking?

^ Top  
  4. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    There's a peaceful path - you don't have to fight / kill any person but one in the whole game, and Vavra is considering to eliminate the need to kill that 1 person too. The guy in the interview I saw today was adamant that it's not a fighting game, but a roleplaying game.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Yes, but will it be satisfying or just added to tick the box on the feature checklist?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    The noble at 1:39 looks a bit like Vavra.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Unfortunately they're prattling over the game sound, here's the gameplay sans commentary.

P.S. The animation is stiff, there's no way around that, but the VO is good. All that drama around the trailer was just as retarded as I thought.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    You actually have to rely on your perception and not on-rails witcher senses to follow bloody tracks. The soliloquizing is similar though.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Wall Magister

The Wall
    Lip sync and overall animation in cut scenes and outside of them has obviously improved a great deal. There is still a lot of room for improvement and no doubt that's on what they'll be concentrated until release. They have enough time to pull it off.

This game is solid foundation on top of which solid first person rpg could be built with more mechanics and features in dlcs and sequal. One of the main reasons why I hope this is success is cause if it works out I can't wait for next Vavra's game and setting he might tackle and it will provide more good competition to current market (personally hate Skyrim's influence and constant comparisons).

Oh and we get good larper's heaven, realistic medieval rpg. Don't see those every year. If I have to compare it to anything it would be non-fantasy Oblivion done right.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    I don't know, I think the cinematics there look alright but ugh... there's something that just feels really off about it all for me. Maybe the faces combined with the whole english dialogue set in Bohemia. There's just something that feels so strange about it.
    And the dialogues are lol-worthy when the people speaking just look at each other. Looks so fucking awkward. It looks way better when they do some animation at the same time.

And another thing... I wonder if luring bad guys into crowds of good guys will work for most of the game. I mean I like sorta fucking around with game systems but it looked pretty dumb when the bad guy followed him all that way and ran right into his enemies...

Er, I don't know. Still hoping it will be good. I want a good hitchiker/RPG and I hope this can really deliver that experience. A lot of the other stuff just looks and feels weird to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I dunno, I don't see anything "off" with the dialogues, I think they're pretty well written, very down-to-earth, like real people talk. And yeah the animations in the cinematics are great, I was talking about the stiff faces and movements during NPC dialogues. Witcher 3 was handled much better in this respect (then again it cost 10x as much).

And yeah, they should fix the bandit AI so they don't run straight into a gaggle of guards. I mean it's a great fun luring mobs into guards if they're trolls or wolves like in the Gothics but it does look awkward if it's an intelligent bandit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    That is great heresy in the world of RPG design.

^ Top  
  14. SlamDunk Cipher

SlamDunk
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The dialogues and story exposition are literally every cliche under the sun compressed into 7 lines of dialogues. Who thought this was a good idea? "Bring me their heads!"

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    They most likely weren't thinking.

^ Top  
  17. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's way too early to pass judgement, but based on what I've seen so far, I can imagine mainstream outlets praising the game for its "historical setting", "authenticity", "story", and good graphics, but then ripping it apart because "the combat feels clunky and unresponsive", "it would have been better in third person", "the lack of fantasy elements tends to make it feel boring, like, when I know it's impossible for a dragon to jump me behind the next hill it's not as exciting as Skyrim".

And then the narrative department complaints: "the story is predictable", "an underdog rises to fame", "voice acting falls a bit flat", "acting is not on par with that multi-million dollar budgeted game I played last year".

And in conclusion, the all time favorite: "Kingdom come: Deliverance does offer plenty of fun and opportunities to mess around in a beautiful open world, but ultimately fails to "deliver" (winky-winky, I made a pun, and it was intended, I'm such a master of letters!) decisively good content on any front", "doesn't break new ground", "It doesn't satisfy my heightened hipster sensitivities for games as an art form", "the lead designer is kind of a meanie to people of color", "warhorse didn't pay us to close our eyes for the game's problems, even though these problems are prevalent in most videogames - now is my chance to be a critical journailst with high expectations who is not easily fooled".

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    Spot on, but it indicates, that you read too much game press.
    Take a break, it will be good for your mental health.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    The combat looks p. shitty. I guess that's a given with western action rpgs now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Eh, "Bring me their heads" sounds like something that guy would say in that situation. At least there is some emotion.

^ Top  
  21. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Actually no, at least not as of late, but that was just the first cliches that came to my mind.

Come on. That was some of the stupidest and blandest sounding dialogue I've heard. It was like a 70s Canadian cartoon.

Also, the southern US accent was simply godawful. I pray that like in Witcher the non-english voice acting will be way better than the english one.

^ Top  
  22. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    The main thing it seems to lack is some sort of head/eye tracking. Everyone look like when actors are playing blind characters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    This. Eyes don't move at all. Eyebrows neither. That's what's creating that weird "dead faces" effect.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Nice AI in the gameplay vid by the way, bandits trying to lay low in the forest but chase the player all the way to the guardsmen.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I guess my Gothic tactics will work then :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.