Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Morgoth, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Another way to look at it is that it's presented like the future of gaming, but it's all just a really cheap B-movie with silly men in beaked helmets.
    As a backer I had really high hopes for this one, and at least the art style delivers. But if I am honest I am not even sure if I will play it when it comes out.
    There is no novelty, I have seen such places in Germany and Czechoslovakia in real life, and I also know how a forest looks like. And in the end I already know what it's gonna be like riding and occasionally fighting from village to village, forest to forest and corny dialog to corny dialog.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Why did you back then? Did you secretly expect there'd be some dragons, maybe tiny ones, after all?

Sorry but backing a game set in a real world and then bitching you're not interested because you know the real world from outside your window sounds very silly :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    I thought there would be gameplay, something similar to Mount & Blade. Though I already knew Vavra would probably make something extremely limited like Mafia I probably believed it would be worth seeing it. What do I know, that is almost 5 years ago and perhaps I just liked the art style.

Only because you are an idiot. I never complain that a game is set in the real world but everything about this one is uninteresting.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    But maybe there's some hidden meaning and I'm not seeing it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    The gameplay presented is always 90% cinematics, which paired with the focus on realism makes me really wonder why is this open world at all.

What is going to be the open world gameplay in this? Fantasy games have the typical shit we don't question like ancient ruins with treasure, random pockets of bandits and wildly varied fauna and monsters to kill but all would be really out of place in this setting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Remember, a game like this has never been done. Not even attempted. Noone can make even an educated guess what's it gonna play like. Whatever it's gonna be, a flop or a hit, it IS going to be absolutely revolutionary in one respect - it'll tell us, once and for all, if non-fantasy plots in epic RPGs are viable.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Non-fantasy plots are perfectly viable, maybe not from a marketing perspective but who cares. I mean most of twitcher 3 could work just fine without monsters (which is p. :thinking: in a game about a monster hunter).

The real question is the gameplay.

^ Top  
  8. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What exactly is going to be revolutionary again?

^ Top  
  9. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
  10. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, I thought so too.

^ Top  
  11. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    ^ Top  
  12. The gameplay looks like utter shit. Even worse than Witcher 3 level of shit.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Yeah, I love it. Not saying it's perfect, but it's the best melee combat I've ever seen in a video game. Of course playing it will be a different thing, I can't tell how it feels just from watching it, but that's all I have to go on right now.

It has a nice, slow, ponderous, heavy feel to it, just like real life stuff. It's not as fast as real life HEMA, but that's because that would make it unplayable in a video game. Otherwise, very realistic looking, with parries, guard adjustments, feints, and so on.

The best way I can describe it is by comparing Operation Flashpoint combat to the FPSs of that time. The FPSs looked very flashy and fast, but very shallow. OFP looked kinda awkward in a way, but that's because RL combat is awkward. Movement has momentum, you can't move fast sideways or backwards, aiming takes time.

Same here, the combat looks much more realistic than the typical game twirling.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Apparently prestigious Codexers want the combat to look more awesome. :M

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Yes? It's combat for fuck's sake. Poking enemies and making blood spurts jet out of armored areas until they die is not my idea of exciting combat, it barely looks like anyone is getting hurt until they ragdoll. Like the mordhau alpha combat video already looks a million times more fun than this.

Yeah sure looks realistic as fuck lmao. Realism is machete fights on liveleak, not this slap boxing simulator.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Bitch please...

• incline incline x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Are the actual attacks faster than in KCD? Cause if you take away all the gamey strafe running, they look to be about the same speed.

^ Top  
  18. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    I don't know too much about Mordhau's combat system, since I am generally not interested in multiplayer death match type games. I read a little bit about it, and overall, KCD's combat seems to be much more deliberate, methodical, and tactical. Combatants take their time, as in RL, adjust stances, switch positions, and all of this lets you anticipate your opponent and respond. Mordhau's combat, on the other hand, just from watching it in the videos, seems a lot more chaotic and RNG. People just fly at each other and do various attacks, and considering all the options there (chambering, parrying, feinting), it feels like it will involve a lot of guessing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Aothan Magister

Aothan
    Mordhau's gameplay is a much delayed Chivalry 2, as comparisons will go Mordhau's system will probably be at least as complex as any other game in this genre at this time. Granted if you are not familiar with Chivalry's gameplay and how the playerbase developed over the years the nuances in Mordhau's preliminary footage won't be as readily evident. However I have serious reservations over how chambering will be balanced, if the developers are at least moderately in touch with the community and the type of 'fanaticism' the game had, they should probably know there will be plenty of players who learn to chamber consistently

one of Mordhau's early challenges as a new game is the amount of long-term players coming from Chivalry into a newer game that inheres the same combat mechanics format, just as it was difficult for new to players to transition into the above 15 ranks servers, many are going to find themselves facing players who not only spent years but a lot of time and effort learning all the methods, and more problematically, the gimmicks which defined multiplayer

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lahey Laheyist Patron

Lahey
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Some youtube faggot visited Warhorse for a shitty interview with their community manager and art historian. More cringe than the eurogamer/obsidian video but with lower production value, and equally uninformative. Timestamped to post-tour:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
    ^ Top  
  21. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    Middle guy in the above video : "Sometimes I dream about getting an axe to the middle of the head."
    Barber: "Say no more, sir."

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    I don't think you atuall get to control anyone in those.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    People have been wanting another Gothic 1 for years, so...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Stavrophore Liturgist

Stavrophore
    Combat is fine, they are not AAA level studio that can afford state of the art MoCaps, to make kickass animations. They would need dozens if not hundred of high quality mocap animations with attacks and counter for them. Like one attack and few ways to counter it. Just imagine, 5-6 attack types per weapon, 6-8 angles of attack, and few counter attacks per angle. Thats easily over hundred animations.Add in kicks, punches, combos and you get maybe even 200 anims.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    They have a mocap room in their studio. I don't think the problem(if there is one) is mocapping the animations but engine/memory limitations and control input supporting all those animations; you can't just make any move you want, its not brain controlled, has to be playable :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.