Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Saw an interesting comment

The devs in this game are retarded. they try to make it historically accurate but in game the only swear word they use is fuck. which wasnt even used until the 15th century. They just throw in the fuck fuck fuck so people think its cool, but it literally makes me cringe
Using period-appropriate swearing doesn't have the right impact to a modern audience because what is considered offensive in society is vastly different today than it was then. Old-timey swears more often end up sounding comical than serious, and can actually ruin the atmosphere instead of reinforcing it.

This was a common discussion point around Deadwood, which liberally used modern profanity instead of period-specific. The show creators decided on this, after first attempting to use historically-accurate swearing, because it better reinforced the characters: a bunch of people living outside more "civil" society shouldn't talk like those "civil" people. You can't get this across to modern audiences with blasphemy and words like "darn", you'd just make them laugh since it sounds silly nowadays. Since the intent of the character is more important than the actual word used, using modern profanity is appropriate.

And of course, once you decide that parts of the language should be period-specific, why not all of it? Why not go into Ye Olde Englishe for the translation as many other games have done? Oh right because it sucks.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Question for the Czechs, and any Slovaks for that matter: do you guys really prefer to call it the november/gentle revolution? Why wouldn't you want your coup/liberation named after Lou Reed?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Saw an interesting comment

The devs in this game are retarded. they try to make it historically accurate but in game the only swear word they use is fuck. which wasnt even used until the 15th century. They just throw in the fuck fuck fuck so people think its cool, but it literally makes me cringe

I know this is totally beside the point, but fuck is one of the oldest words in the English language and it’s distressing to see someone piss all over our wonderful pre-Norman heritage. The only reason fuck and cunt and so on are considered bad language is that this is how poor people talked, while their francophone betters had sex with vaginas. Pretty sure if you went to London any time in the last thousand years and said “fuck me” they would know exactly what you meant.

Would it be better if Vavra recorded the game in period appropriate Middle English? Old high German? 15th century Czech?

I loved Apocalypto and thought Passion of the Christ was the best snuff film ever, but there’s no percentage in making a game in an extinct dialect.

"Why, how call you those grunting brutes running about on their four legs?" demanded Wamba.

"Cunts, fool, cunts," said the herd, "every fool knows that."

"And cunt is good Saxon," said the Jester; "but how call you the sow when she is flayed, and drawn, and quartered, and hung up by the heels, like a traitor?"

"Vagina," answered the swine-herd

"...and vagina, I think, is good Norman-French; and so when the brute lives, and is in the charge of a Saxon slave, she goes by her Saxon name; but becomes a Norman, and is called vagina, when she is carried to the Castle-hall to feast among the nobles; what dost thou think of this, friend Gurth, ha?"

Edit: you call yourselves middle ages fans? Oh dear. Search for it here https://www.gutenberg.org/files/82/82-h/82-h.htm

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

SlamDunk

Arcane
Steam release got pushed back a few hours?

Steam said:
Available: 14 February

This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 2 hours

Nope:

23debdb0d76078b13dc612373534dac096a277c2.jpg

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, Amazon will hopefully send my copy tomorrow.
What are peoples experiences with voice over thus far, should I play English or German?
Usually I play English with subtitles except for when it's a German game.
In this case: Which is better and why? Discuss!

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Watching that guy's steam for a few hours now. It has been pretty near flawless technically on his PS4 Pro. Some AI glitches and some bugs but that is standard release fare now.

Looks pretty good. He is apparently a middle ages historian. So far the biggest gripe he has is that in the game they have quivers on their backs rather than their belts. He seems to think that so far it feels largely authentic.

Ohmsquare

Novice
Question for the Czechs, and any Slovaks for that matter: do you guys really prefer to call it the november/gentle revolution? Why wouldn't you want your coup/liberation named after Lou Reed?
Velvet is fine. Never heard of anyone having issues with that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really wish that by the time I'm ready to buy it there is a Czech audio pack out so I can play in Czech with English subs. That would be ideal. But in the absense of that, I'll take French audio/English subs as well.

Beowulf

Arcane

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What? No, Velvet/November revolution is the prefered nomenclature. I think only Slovaks call it Gentle revolution, never heard a czech refer to it as that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
First comment i saw on chat:

"Incest simulator 2018".

Ayyy

Is raep in the game? You know, for that Game of Thrones historical accuracy. :troll:

Sentinel

Arcane
Finally some dorrito coverage.

that framerate in the town... lol
dropping into the low 20s (they're playing on a laptop on very high settings)
and that chat gave me cancer

PS: to the guy saying "loading screens before dialogue are a console issue!!!", I just witnessed a 20 second loading screen before a dialogue in that stream. This is the PC build. However this doesn't seem to happen in every dialogue. Weird as fuck.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

Now these are the real retards. Playing the PC version with a gamepad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom