Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingpin: Reloaded - remaster of Kingpin by 3D Realms

agris

Arcane
Patron
a suitable C.R.T. shader?

michael-jordan-stop-it.gif

Kingpin was released in June, 1999. It isn’t Ultima Underworld. Wanting to put a CRT shader on it is a fetish - at best.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wow, does this Reloaded run like shit, loads like shit, looks like shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit! Good thing I didn't step in it. Seriously, this is a serious fuck-up. Howver, I'll give 3D Realms the benefit of the doubt that they'll be able to patch it to an acceptable state, but since it's already at 1.02, I'm not hopeful. Meanwhile, I fired up the GOG version and added the fan patches and it runs okay at 4K, despite no interface scaling that makes those on-screen notes too small to easily read at that resolution. Are there any recommended reshades to make it look a little better?
I'd recommend dgVoodoo with its resolution scaling function for the UI, but this time I couldn't get the game to run with it, or maybe run at all. Maybe compatibility differs from version to version, or maybe it's my system.

As for ReShade, a suitable C.R.T. shader?
Oh, that's cool about dgvoodoo's resolution scaling function. I didn't know it had that feature. Drop us a note if you or anyone get it working with Kingpin GOG. Concerning Reloaded, I wonder if selecting the "classic" graphics option (keypress 9) makes it more bearable or does it still use too many of those new features and "enhancements" in Reloaded? I did notice my framerates soar back up to 120 FPS (from around 50-60 FPS with the default Reloaded graphics) and it actually plays smooth. I saw one player review mention that he was getting 130 FPS with the new textures and models but it was still choppy and stuttery as fuck; it makes me think there's something really screwed with trying to run Kingpin with the Unity engine with graphic enhancements enabled and there might be no fix or patch for it.

I don't think I'd want a C.R.T. shader for this (I think C.R.T. shaders look good only for 2D), just something to make it more vibrant and with perhaps a more believably darker visual atmosphere, something more along the lines of this but without the new models. I tried it but couldn't get it enabled with my GOG version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom