Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingpin: Reloaded - remaster of Kingpin by 3D Realms

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wait, what's the difference between the original graphics and the remaster? I don't see it.
lol I had to check if I was still wearing glasses while watching that video.

I presume that it's gonna be dirt cheap, taking into consideration what is being displayed here!

December 5th:

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait, what's the difference between the original graphics and the remaster? I don't see it.
lol I had to check if I was still wearing glasses while watching that video.

I presume that it's gonna be dirt cheap, taking into consideration what is being displayed here!

December 5th:

spot the differences between two videos?

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Honestly, looking at most recent remasters, "devs" just leaving the game as it was trolololo style seems objectively incline? Not that it would make purchasing it worth it. But this particular title getting a re-release in the current year is another one in the long line of y tho mysteries of modern gaming market anyway.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
spot the differences between two videos?
Honestly, I put it on highest quality and paused almost by frame to see differences.

Maybe the textures on SOME of the models are higher res?
Maybe the lighting messes up a little less?

But maybe my brain is just trying to see a pattern where there is none.
It's pretty damn awkward they made a direct comparison trailer where there is no easily discernable difference :lol:

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I loved the original Kingpin, but this is fucking weak. They didn't update multiplayer, they didn't expand the game, they didn't update the models to get rid of the warping, and they didn't even bother updating the textures. It looks like the developers just applied Monkey Harris' patch and called it a day.

schru

Arcane
Looking at the screenshots on the Steam page, the remaster does appear to have new or scaled-up textures, in addition to mismatched distance haze, new light flares, more diffuse and darker lighting, bloom, and ambient occlusion. I'm not sure about the skybox vistas in some of the maps, I seem to recall that maybe one map had such, but I'm not sure. They do look rather interesting at higher resolution, even if they were just scaled up. That one city map perhaps also has more building models in the background, but some of them look like they might be flat textures.

The over-all ambience seems too dark, and I think that just running the game with dgVoodoo produces nicer colours and a more appropriately grainy picture.

ss_f574dc0652d4da3c509295fb8aeb4fe691662d34.jpg

ss_4e8981f1f39253056f036031a8cb0b176dd1115d.jpg

ss_0b203b381682b95a5b8f2ba13efb4e96b0249e41.jpg

ss_51a80b99a49969394d76d423a02017e263214d89.jpg

ss_6eb5d02978a41786472edb5d3fd20b6bf4664ecc.jpg

ss_379a9aaa1e7f79e4a0dd14d2b584da51bea0373c.jpg

ss_3a1e0fc6e14838e7e4e31f18eee360154a11776e.jpg

ss_7266edfa1a9df1e3bd4a03c7b730e2ced86b0864.jpg

ss_a464b5ee2aa5339b527d4a94a278fa1ab5742579.jpg

ss_ccdbd183cd7e095a00cef8b6789128145177dbf0.jpg

ss_f43046a3f47585ce4515038ba3b4369f0e4fd401.jpg

ss_a04c77a2c76967476a55f825ea05019360b0242a.jpg

ss_7ac516fe6c40427625da58fd9b1cf18d8a174d02.jpg

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
So, now we are paying devs to break games that worked fine. Interesting new business model they've discovered.

edit: also, that new UI art looks atrocious and soulless. It does not fit the milieu of the game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
isn't 2023 amazing? we have the technology to take an image comparison website where you can move a slider back and forth to see before/after comparisons, and turn it into a 12 minute video!

wow!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ah yes, the modern approach to graphic design: make everything as dark and/or smudged out and/or unreadable as possible. Spend a lot of budget on it. Make it take a lot of disk space. Coincidentally, it's largely the same for modern movie making.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Steam reviews don't look too good, as expected.
Yeah, and in YT:

It seems to be one of those game entries where even if you're a new player (so chances are, you'll not be nitpicky about this "Reloaded" version) and got a key with your pocket change, you'll still regret getting it, like an obscure game you found in a garage sale that finally found a fool to purchase it.

The kicker is, I played Kingpin when it came out originally, eons ago, in times so ancient now, King Crispy was still nice and had a physical form. And back then, it was one of the ugliest games around, people all looked like fat blobs, and it was all gray and ugly. So to think that 20+ years later, some idiot would remaster it and it still looks just as hideous, wow...

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Jesus christ how do you fuck up a remaster this badly. Why wouldn't you just play the original version instead of a blatant downgrade that objectively looks like dogshit? I played it a few years back and it worked fine.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wow, does this Reloaded run like shit, loads like shit, looks like shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit! Good thing I didn't step in it. Seriously, this is a serious fuck-up. Howver, I'll give 3D Realms the benefit of the doubt that they'll be able to patch it to an acceptable state, but since it's already at 1.02, I'm not hopeful. Meanwhile, I fired up the GOG version and added the fan patches and it runs okay at 4K, despite no interface scaling that makes those on-screen notes too small to easily read at that resolution. Are there any recommended reshades to make it look a little better?

schru

Arcane
Wow, does this Reloaded run like shit, loads like shit, looks like shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit! Good thing I didn't step in it. Seriously, this is a serious fuck-up. Howver, I'll give 3D Realms the benefit of the doubt that they'll be able to patch it to an acceptable state, but since it's already at 1.02, I'm not hopeful. Meanwhile, I fired up the GOG version and added the fan patches and it runs okay at 4K, despite no interface scaling that makes those on-screen notes too small to easily read at that resolution. Are there any recommended reshades to make it look a little better?
I'd recommend dgVoodoo with its resolution scaling function for the UI, but this time I couldn't get the game to run with it, or maybe run at all. Maybe compatibility differs from version to version, or maybe it's my system.

As for ReShade, a suitable C.R.T. shader?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
lol wtf is this shit.
What a shameless cashgrab.

It actually looks WORSE Than the fucking original, how is that even possible? like...

lol.

Warcraft 3 reFUNDED looks like a masterpiece work of art compared to this shit.

Dont get me wrong, the original kingpin was a great amazing game... but wtf is 3d realms thinking green lighting this shit?

theres problem 1 guy on reddit sitting right there now, who would work 50 minutes on upscaler mod. that would look 50 times better than this shit lol.

And its from slipgate..

Slipgate ironworks, my proud countrymen studio, one of the few.. they are making tempest rising, which looks great.. but wtf is this shit now.
what a blesmish

fuck you niggas

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom