Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Knights of the Chalice 2 Development Update

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Hoooray, great news!

Knights of the Chalice is the best crpg for me (2005-2013). Sure, I am going to buy KotC 2.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Now that's sure: we live in a time of incline. Hope it won't take another dozen years. Need my fix.

almondblight

Arcane
The speed of the price drops for Battle of the Sands compared with the resistance to drop the price for KoTC makes me wonder if no one has bought a copy of BotS.

DefJam101

Arcane
Moddable KotC would be great. All the fun of the combat engine with none of the game-breaking quirks of the actual game

Gregz

Arcane
Aw shit, this is kinda neat.

I never played the first KOtC but was definitely planning on it. I heard it could be easily broken via crafting, or something like that. Any truth to that?

It's very very fun and totally worth playing.

Surprised he's still not kickstarting the game. I guess he wants to do it on his own, instead of hiring help.
Pierre hates money. This is going beyond joke level and really starting to look like a actual fact.

All he has to do is put it on steam for $4.99 and he'll recoup everything, make a huge name for himself, and then price the sequel up to $9.99 and everyone will buy it.

The guy makes great games but behaves like an autistic, he needs a manager or something.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
He doesn't hate money. He lovingly studied it as a theoretical concept and has written a book about why he shouldn't be taxed so much.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You have the right to be taxed
Is a libertarian or classical-liberal outlook on Europe and the West, written by a European. It is partially about basic economics and partially about basic philosophy.

It examines the modus operandi of European welfare states and spends some time unwinding the myths that are propagated to ensure the persistence of the state as a virtually all-powerful provider. The book also examines the flaws of democracy and some possible remedies.

Classical-undomesticated snowman!

Don't buy his books, buy his RPGs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He doesn't hate money. He lovingly studied it as a theoretical concept and has written a book about why he shouldn't be taxed so much.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, now I know better than to pay money for anything he does again.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Pierre has a master’s degree in international economics and finance. He has studied at the universities of Bordeaux in France and Bradford in the UK. He has lived and worked in France, India and the UK. He works as an analyst in the UK and is also an independent video-game developer.
So, it seems that he doesn't NEED money, as opposed to doesn't LIKE.

Regardless, I see no reason as to why he fucking hide his game, instead of trying to get it at least into GOG...

book_cover_small.png

He still needs a art designer, though. :lol:

Yep, especially toward the end of the game when you have plenty of XP to spare to craft super items of doom that surpass anything you can find.
You say that as if its a bad thing.

Don't know about you, but I think finding awesome stuff in a dark corner of a dungeon is more interesting than sitting at a table in the middle of town and clicking the "make awesome stuff" button.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Regardless, I see no reason as to why he fucking hide his game, instead of trying to get it at least into GOG...

Because GOG would take 30% of the money for each copy sold which is TAXATION. Why make 70% when you can make 100%?

:avatard:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yep, especially toward the end of the game when you have plenty of XP to spare to craft super items of doom that surpass anything you can find.

Don't know about you, but I think finding awesome stuff in a dark corner of a dungeon is more interesting than sitting at a table in the middle of town and clicking the "make awesome stuff" button.

You blame crafting, I blame the fact that there wasn't awesome stuff to be found in dungeons. It's easy to have a proper crafting system and still place unique artifacts, which cannot be replicated by crafting, into the dungeons imo.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, the crafting was a little overpowered as you could make +5 weapons with awesome additional effects while in the dungeons you'd find weapons with unique names and powerful effects... that still paled in comparison to those you could make yourself, because you could craft any effect in the game on an item yourself. With a powerful party and enough gold and XP to spare for mass crafting, you could easily obsolete all found weapons by crafting.

You blame crafting, I blame the fact that there wasn't awesome stuff to be found in dungeons. It's easy to have a proper crafting system and still place unique artifacts, which cannot be replicated by crafting, into the dungeons imo.

That's a good point. But I still don't like crafting in general, as it can introduce an obsessive aspect into the game (can't throw items away, might need it for crafting) and it's hard to balance it with found loot so one doesn't make the other irrelevant (Oh cool, this chest at the top of the tower of doom contained a chestplate of awesome. Shame it doesn't compare to the chestplate of double awesome I made before coming here ----OR---- I could make a chestplate of awesome, which would cost me 5000 coins...or I could try and find one for free at the top of the tower of doom. If I'm lucky, it could even be a chestplate of double awesome, it takes forever to collect the crystals of trolololium to craft one of those).

Lhynn

Arcane

Wasnt talking about the crafting part, was talking about the super items of doom.

Not a fan of crafting myself, not because crafting in itself is wrong, but mostly because it goes against the spirit of adventure that these kind of games are supposed to embrace.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Pierre has a master’s degree in international economics and finance. He has studied at the universities of Bordeaux in France and Bradford in the UK. He has lived and worked in France, India and the UK. He works as an analyst in the UK and is also an independent video-game developer.

book_cover_small.png

He still needs a art designer, though. :lol:

Wow, the developer of KotC really wrote that book?

I think he just doesn't care very much if his games get mainstream appeal. I mean, why would he? These are his hobby projects.

You have the right to be taxed
Is a libertarian or classical-liberal outlook on Europe and the West, written by a European. It is partially about basic economics and partially about basic philosophy.

It examines the modus operandi of European welfare states and spends some time unwinding the myths that are propagated to ensure the persistence of the state as a virtually all-powerful provider. The book also examines the flaws of democracy and some possible remedies.

Classical-undomesticated snowman!

Don't buy his books, buy his RPGs.

Surely the proper term for 'classical L..I..B..E..R..A..L..I..S...M', i.e. the moral/politlcal philosophy inspired by Mill and Kant, that provided the inspiration for both modern L---I---B---E---R---A---L--I--S--M AND Libertarianism, without being adequately captured by either, deserves its own auto-spell title, without being lumped in with the undomesticated snow-men. Givenb its historical significant, surely 'arctic Neathenderthals of surprising cultural sophistication' would be more appropriate.

getter77

Augur
I have nothing but high hopes for KotC II, that it has taken an unorthodox path to get here seems par for the course really.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Good crafts can also require special ingredients that can be found in dungeons or other remote places.

Repressed Homosexual
Why would he sell it on sites like GOG when he will always cater to a very small niche who will buy his RPGs no matter what, and he can make more money by selling the game himself and charging more? It's like Matrix games. He's doing it right.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Why would he sell it on sites like GOG when he will always cater to a very small niche who will buy his RPGs no matter what, and he can make more money by selling the game himself and charging more? It's like Matrix games. He's doing it right.

Unless of course being on GoG gets him much more exposure. But that remains to be proven. It entirely depends on whether GoG, or others like RPS, Codex, Kotaku (...), communicate on the fact that GoG is listing KOTC. It looks like a gamble to me unless marketing is agreed upon during discussions.

KOTC may be an old game not getting anymore coverage but if KOTC2 gets some it will benefit both games so unless Pierre gets the assurance that GoG will actively help him sell, as opposed to just quietly listing him, slashing the price to get on GoG might turn out to be a very bad idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...said Jeff Vogel, before he dove into the sweet, sweet waters of the sea of Steambux.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Unless of course being on GoG gets him much more exposure. But that remains to be proven. It entirely depends on whether GoG, or others like RPS, Codex, Kotaku (...), communicate on the fact that GoG is listing KOTC. It looks like a gamble to me unless marketing is agreed upon during discussions.

KOTC may be an old game not getting anymore coverage but if KOTC2 gets some it will benefit both games so unless Pierre gets the assurance that GoG will actively help him sell, as opposed to just quietly listing him, slashing the price to get on GoG might turn out to be a very bad idea.

Hi Charles,

I am not sure what you'd consider to be good coverage but here's what we do for every game we get on the service in order to help it sell as best possible:

We give it a huge graphic spot on the front page that is in rotation for a certain amount of time.

We announce it on Facebook, Twitter, and I think on G+ (I don't know much about the last one as I don't even use that service).

If a game has a trailer, we put it up on our Youtube channel.

And then there's me spamming the Codex :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom