Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Companion 1 is a meh Sorcerer that you can get after the Tomb or after the Goblin Arena. Despite having meh stats and feats, having an extra caster is still extremely good. He also has a quest giving two great items.
Companion 2 is a Warlock that you can get at the beginning of chapter 3. She crashes the game for me so I can't talk about her.
Companion 3 is a Succubus Paladin (...Pierre) with absurd Cha. I find her useful because she can fly, Smite for good damage and offers the paladin auras.

Tigranes

Arcane
....and now the minotaur battle left my frontliner with 1hp and no healing, time to reload the centipede fight 8000 times until they don't acid splash and kill ahlf your party in the surprise round

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Argh, the pain.
When you realize 10 levels later you accidentally picked Banishment (100% useless) domain over Mysticism because somehow the level up screen messed up.

Mysticism is bugged and doesn't offer the +1 bonus. It is still a good domain though. I don't regret taking it.

Speaking of companions, how does one get rid of them?

You don't, you can make them inactive, just like you can with any party member ( except the character you picked as leader on character creation )

You do it with the formation menu.

Discord thinks Psychic Warriors are hot shit but I tend to assume everyone but us is drooling retards so I doubt it works out.

The problem is, it's really easy to cheat in this game and I saw many cheaters on discord some admit it openly but some don't ( like the guy that rolled 84 stat points for his elf , cool story bro ) You really can't tell who did things legitemly

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, reload 10 times to be able to actually fight the centipedes, and then at least twice now I'm taking them down no trouble until one decides to acid splash for 30 damage on the mages

...and then you kill them all with half your party going merely unconscious, only to find that half of them died actually

Are they rolling death saves in the background or something

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
....and now the minotaur battle left my frontliner with 1hp and no healing, time to reload the centipede fight 8000 times until they don't acid splash and kill ahlf your party in the surprise round
With a Druid you can cast the level 1 spell Animal Trance to disable all of them. You can do the same during the slime fight to completely avoid damage and during the crocodile fight in chapter 1 to easily deal with them at level 1.

Question time: do you get your equipment back after chapter 1 or is it lost forever?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You get it back in the Moon Crypt after the 5 tombs. Hence why saving the Confusion scroll is a good play.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
You get it back in the Moon Crypt after the 5 tombs. Hence why saving the Confusion scroll is a good play.
I have just started the mimic fight for the first time, so I don't really know what the Moon Crypt is (or why do you need the Confusion scroll for that). Is it during chapter 2 or even later?

There's a foolproof strategy for both the minotaur and centipedes fight: the aberration domain power can deal with them in a couple of rounds without risking precious hp.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Tigranes are you casting stun or sleep to disable them, or you trying to mow them down with sheer damage? The fight against the centipedes shouldn't be particularly hard, but keep in mind that the game forces you to buff/debuff all the time if you don't wanna get fucked over.

Well, you'll get fucked arseways then too, but every now and then you'll win.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
I have just started the mimic fight for the first time, so I don't really know what the Moon Crypt is (or why do you need the Confusion scroll for that). Is it during chapter 2 or even later?

You want it for the end of the crypt where you have to go up the ladder, but you may want to send a cleric instead to use the elemental scroll you'll get in there.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
This game is driving me crazy. I managed to deal with the minotaur mage and centipedes without getting hit once but I reloaded because I activated the levers without examining the door and I could go on knowing that I missed on 10 experience points.

Knowing that every encounter is going to be extremely punishing paralyzes me. The rat-men encounter isn't difficult, but usually they manage to hit me a couple of times and I can't accept that, so I have to keep reloading until I defeat them without losing hp. Dealing with them peacefully isn't an option, because I NEED the additional experience points and rewards. Please, tell me that it's better to keep them alive, so I can move on.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Let me put it this way:

If you kill them, and manage to finish the game that way, you will be the best player out of all of us, because they are the only way you are going to rest before the crypt or the goblin king fight.
If the idea of doing either of those without a rest appeals to you, go on and kill them.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Let me put it this way:

If you kill them, and manage to finish the game that way, you will be the best player out of all of us, because they are the only way you are going to rest before the crypt or the goblin king fight.
If the idea of doing either of those without a rest appeals to you, go on and kill them.
Wait, so I need them alive to be able to rest? I spent at least an hour trying to get a clean kill... what am I doing with my life? Am I even real?

This game really is a funny take on old-school D&D adventures like Tomb of Horrors, deadly but in a different way. In Tomb of Horrors everything could kill you and most of the times there was no reasonable way to know what could kill you and how (sometimes there was no way at all). You had to do your best to guess the next correct move and, in the end, the only sensible strategy was to send forward a lot of low level mercenaries to test the ground and die instead of you. Augury of Chaos is almost the same, but you get killed by insurmountable encounters instead of by obscure puzzles.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
awesome HP rolls on my gladiator (started over)
3/3/3/4/9/2/9/3/6/5/6/5/1/8/10/1/5/3/5/8/1/2/2/1/2/2/1/1/9/6/1/6/4/7/9/4/3/3
that's what you like to see
Everyone getting shit HP rolls, meanwhile my party rolling near-max every level up and looking mighty thicc:

50d57c64dc58b59febc8b24e4c7e8980.png

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
You can still kill them later if you wish so. Also avoiding the battle with the cultists might prove better in the long run. "Do I kill you now or later for better profit" is the only kind of c&c on kotc as far as I know, which makes me wonder if there might be something everyone's been missing by siding with the grey goblins.

Argh, the pain.
When you realize 10 levels later you accidentally picked Banishment (100% useless) domain over Mysticism because somehow the level up screen messed up.
At this point I'm beginning to suspect you're addicted to rerolling parties and this is just an excuse to start all over again.

But really, save yourself the hassle and edit the character, we won't tell Pierre.

Can you elaborate a bit about why leaving the cultists alive is a good thing in the long run? Thanks

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Men.

A few questions:

1. How good is invisibility against enemies? Are they all able to true see?
2. How many per cent enemies are mind immune?
3. Is there Black tentacles SRD spell?
4. How many enemies can fly?
5. Is Ray duplication feat in?
1. Good luck finding the time to cast Invisibility. The first two chapters are a constant run against an invisible clock: you have to quickly kill everyone or you are dead. I just reached level 4, but I can't see myself spending an action to cast Invisibility anytime soon;
2. There are some enemies immune to mind-affecting effects, but spells like Confusion and Dominate X are as good as they are in KotC 1;
3. Sadly, no, there's no Black Tentacles spell. I will never understand why every single developer hates one of the coolest D&D level 4 spells;
4. Are there flying enemies in this game?
5. No, but there are A LOT of spells-enhancing feats.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Men.

A few questions:

1. How good is invisibility against enemies? Are they all able to true see?
2. How many per cent enemies are mind immune?
3. Is there Black tentacles SRD spell?
4. How many enemies can fly?
5. Is Ray duplication feat in?
1. Good luck finding the time to cast Invisibility. The first two chapters are a constant run against an invisible clock: you have to quickly kill everyone or you are dead. I just reached level 4, but I can't see myself spending an action to cast Invisibility anytime soon;
2. There are some enemies immune to mind-affecting effects, but spells like Confusion and Dominate X are as good as they are in KotC 1;
3. Sadly, no, there's no Black Tentacles spell. I will never understand why every single developer hates one of the coolest D&D level 4 spells;
5. No, but there are A LOT of spells-enhancing feats.

Invis should be cast *before* battle begins. Its duration is in minutes. It is chiefly a scouting spell. Good to know that dominate and enchantment, in general, are not nerfed by encounter design. Looks like they are the really most powerful spells for facing this design. How about quicken spell? Is that in? Are the initiative altering spells present?
I don't think you can use Invisibility as a scouting spell like in other games. Invisibility lasts "until the end of combat or your first attack/spell", while Greater Invisibility lasts rounds/level. I don't think there is a proper "Quicken Spell" metamagic feat, but there are a lot of ways (class features and feats) to cast some specific spells as a move (or free) action (for example, a Cleric with the Mysticism domain can cast Bless, Bane, Prayer and Greater Prayer with a move action, while a Water Druid can cast Regeneration and Mass Regeneration with a move action). There is also a very strong spell/power that gives you a "Super Quicken Spell" effect.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Also, is the Psionic Talent feat any good or a trap? Thinking of getting it for my warlocks
You can abuse the "respec" function to test feats and spells. Just pick the feat/spell/power you want to try, use it and, before leveling up, respec it into something that you know is going to be useful. Then you can pick that same feat/power/spell during the next level up (this is not always possible however). For instance, I always pick Discipline Focus Metacreativity with my Psion, because I know that during the first chapter I'm going to heavily rely on Grease. However, I drop it as soon as I can level up, because after the very first levels I prefer Discipline Focus Psychokinesis. That's particularly useful with a Fighter, because you always have one or two "open" feat slots (I usually have Improved Grab on them, so that I can change it to something more useful if the encounter calls for it).

During the first chapter, Psionic Talent is not that useful, because you already have plenty of power points and the "recover" you have access to is enough to easily deal with everything in that chapter. Maybe it's useful to avoid relying on scrolls too much, but I haven't tried it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
You can still kill them later if you wish so. Also avoiding the battle with the cultists might prove better in the long run. "Do I kill you now or later for better profit" is the only kind of c&c on kotc as far as I know, which makes me wonder if there might be something everyone's been missing by siding with the grey goblins.

Argh, the pain.
At this point I'm beginning to suspect you're addicted to rerolling parties and this is just an excuse to start all over again.

But really, save yourself the hassle and edit the character, we won't tell Pierre.

Can you elaborate a bit about why leaving the cultists alive is a good thing in the long run? Thanks

You get an extra quest if you trick yannos to think you are working for him, but I never saw anyone completing that quest ( mostly because people just kill them all )

Yes there are many flying creatures in the game. They are immune to all the ground crap, I even tripped a flying creature and shoved it into a fire square but he was still immune to it... go figure.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's fine... I am clearing Castle Gleegold with my primary party. 1 Battlement left and I can attack the front gate.

But I am not gonna lie, the urge to replay the game with an even better party is very strong. Discord thinks Psychic Warriors are hot shit but I tend to assume everyone but us is drooling retards so I doubt it works out.

Also, editing your character is cheating. Maybe Banishment will come in handy in the castle. Probably not.

I don't think I can lose anymore. I have 3 rest spots, 6 of the spell restoring herbs, and a full power restore, all saved up... also like 20 scrolls of True Ressurection.

Which leads me to wonder, why did people tell me I will miss Level 8/9 Cleric spells? You get SO many scrolls of that shit that I just have the Paladin/Sorc/Bishop read those and it's fine.
Dont see any reason to pick psychic warrior either, they need to buff before being efficient in combat, you simply dont have time for that, and why would you when you can send a fighter , a gladiator or a barbarian instead. Same for mageknight, the only reason i think to take them is for using scrolls and benifits from perfect combat casting. As front line they are lame .Lot of poor info on discord, you wont finish the game with 6 bishop with aberration domain either.
Also dont edit your characters, each time you do that pierre kills a kitten.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
What's a good level to tackle the death snare thing in chapter 2? Is it doable at level 3 or am I fucked?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom