Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex GOTY 2021

GOTY

• Total voters

NerevarineKing

Learned
Including the mediocre HD Remaster for Nocturne and not SMT5 is pretty dumb.
PC games only. That's how it's always been and always will be.

You can easily play the game on your PC through emulation. Having a GOTY list that has JRPGs, CRPGs, non-RPGs, and ports of older games is just nonsensical. The fact that shit like Biomutant apparently has more legitamacy than SMT5 because it happens to be on PC is hilarious.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Atom:Trudograd has only 4 votes more than Re-re-re-release of Skyrim+: Ultimate Fishing Simulator. How much has the mighty Codex fallen...

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If wanted to truly experience writing in that game I would need to finish multiple play trough with different builds I played AoD twice the first time i didn't know that you need to hyper specialize
Okay, but that doesn't invalidate the central premise: "Age of Decadence Has Good Writing" - you not being able to completion run is another matter entirely on to itself. You're inflating setting, plot, writing with not being able to see everything in one run. AoD's setting is interesting. The plot is fascinating; so much so that you're replaying the game to fill in all the holes so to learn about the various mysteries in order to get a full picture of what actually transpired within the game's world. The writing is flavorful, entertaining, humorous. It delivers all of this in a sardonic, yet, refreshing take. I especially loved reading those death screens the player would get. Compare to Wrath's opening where the player is suddenly thrust into the game world with no explanation or build up. Inconsequential dialogue between the NPCs. Then a boring clickty click of the various festival games. All punctuated with a terrible in engine cinematic. Followed by a dungeon that is the most. Oh what is it that Codexers so like to say? Ah yes: "Banal, Shit, Boring".

ArchAngel

Arcane

You can easily play the game on your PC through emulation. Having a GOTY list that has JRPGs, CRPGs, non-RPGs, and ports of older games is just nonsensical. The fact that shit like Biomutant apparently has more legitamacy than SMT5 because it happens to be on PC is hilarious.
Go away you console peasant! This is only for PC nobility.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
If wanted to truly experience writing in that game I would need to finish multiple play trough with different builds I played AoD twice the first time i didn't know that you need to hyper specialize
Okay, but that doesn't invalidate the central premise: "Age of Decadence Has Good Writing" - you not being able to completion run is another matter entirely on to itself. You're inflating setting, plot, writing with not being able to see everything in one run. AoD's setting is interesting. The plot is fascinating; so much so that you're replaying the game to fill in all the holes so to learn about the various mysteries in order to get a full picture of what actually transpired within the game's world. The writing is flavorful, entertaining, humorous. It delivers all of this in a sardonic, yet, refreshing take. I especially loved reading those death screens the player would get. Compare to Wrath's opening where the player is suddenly thrust into the game world with no explanation or build up. Inconsequential dialogue between the NPCs. Then a boring clickty click of the various festival games. All punctuated with a terrible in engine cinematic. Followed by a dungeon that is the most. Oh what is it that Codexers so like to say? Ah yes: "Banal, Shit, Boring".

I mean, I pretty much agree that the starting dungeon (the shield maze) is the pretty bad (it's definitely too long and with too much trash encounters), I think it's the second worst in the game, but if you endure through it, the rest is enjoyable. I do not know if you went past it, but if you did not, try to endure it and I am sure you will reconsider your position.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Don't mess with my childhood or you'll be hexed...

fd5f3b320c194eb0ddbf30e98db47a6a_original.png

Mortmal

Arcane

Completely agree , the medium you play the rpg on is irrelevant,people are using their pc like a big console. It's completely retarded and will never change , as retardation is codex flagship.

NerevarineKing

Learned

Completely agree , the medium you play the rpg on is irrelevant,people are using their pc like a big console. It's completely retarded and will never change , as retardation is codex flagship.

Also so many CRPGs are being ported to consoles nowadays that the differences between platforms are pretty minimal at this point. Although I still prefer PC for most games (especially MMOs and CRPG).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom