Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KotC 2 is amazing

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
- incredible AI in this game (badly wounded giant spider retreats while spewing web everywhere, roots my party and calls for help)
- encounter design is incredible already in the opening minutes (goblin archers on unreachable ridges, giant frog leaps out of the pond in the middle of my formation)
- music is charming 80s stuff (like Bards Tale)
- very good ruleset documentation (hover over anything to see detailed bonuses, like WotR but better visiblity imo)
- writing is good, in the spirit of old times/medieval times
- every battle is life and death (every battle is meaningful)
- formation is crucial, its like playing chess
- very very similar gameplay/ruleset to ToEE

Incredible what a basic game which looks like shit can do.

None of the AAA games can do this. Why?

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Like I'm stuck in this cave and two groups of goblins are attacking me from front and rear. I cast grease under the 2 chokepoints and send a fighter to each, while keeping mages in the middle. Beautiful.
Then I use "Ready vs approach" combat action with my fighter who is waiting next to one puddle of grease. A goblin rushes and falls over, my fighter kills him instantly.
The goblins on the other side SEE this and instead of rushing in like him wait for me outside of the chokepoint!

What the fuck? This is ToEE level of tactical interactivity and reactivity

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is, without a doubt, the best tactical RPG ever made.

I said so in my Steam review and the retards flooded in to claim I haven't played enough tactical RPGs because it's clearly not the best :lol:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/jarlfrank/recommended/1233530/

"best tactical RPG ever made" Maybe you need to stay in more? That's a fu|<ing joke.
apparently this person hardly plays anything. I mean have you not heard of Divinity Original Sin 2 or KOTOR 2?

>KOTOR 2
>tactical RPG

lol, lmao even

It's reviews like this that make me discount Steam reviews as a whole. There's a massive dissonance between the zealous enthusiasm found in this review that borders on being paid with no criticisms at all, and the average user experience which voices a plethora of fair criticisms that makes this game a bargain bin pickup on a sale at a 90% discount.

The person who wrote this either hasn't played many Tactical CRPGs, is easily impressed, is a friend of the developer, or has "1986 NES Syndrome" where they only get to play one game for a long time because it's all they can afford, and they spend so much time with it that they're eventually forced to love it in order to justify their lack of gaming choices.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

People are fucking retarded.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It's a garbage rerolling simulator. KoTC 1 is infinitely better.
It was in version 1.0, but no longer is.

Oh? Is there a detailed writeup about this? I would be so happy to hear that he fixed it.

There's no detailed writeup, but

- there are now difficulty options that give your characters more bonuses per levelup, which equips you better for some of the overpowered encounters you face later on (these are optional)
- a whole new starting town was added with a whole load of quests that will get you to level 3 or 4 before you even enter what used to be the start of the game; this helps a LOT
- some of the harder encounters have had new pre-combat options added that aid you, based on your characters' skills

The difficulty of the encounters themselves has not been changed, but you are no longer dropped woefully underleveled into a gauntlet that never lets up. The optional difficulty settings give you a lot more stuff to work with (especially increasing number of feats per levelup), and the starting town with all its quests - which are challenging on their own! - allows you to prepare much better for what's to come.

Delterius

Arcane
walks into an imaginary gaming store that still exists
grabs a copy of <turn based rpg>
'this is the best tacticool game of all time'
weird man old enough to spiritually be your dad walks into you
'heyy kiddo shut your whore mouth why dont you play something actually hardcore'
he hands you a bootleg copy of dragon age origins
he mentions it comes with qwynn's fixes pre installed
he says you don't have to thank him
he disappears into thin air
the next morning your college degree on the history of german footwear turns into a mock diploma for beating kotor2 seven times in a row
does this convey your feelings well or was it less of a horror situation and more of a tragicomedy

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it's all they can afford

y u so poor bro?

tm2yzxO.png

:kingcomrade:

i much prefer the art style of kotc1

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yeah this cavalier attitude with the plebs is somewhat worthy of respect, even though I hesitate to qualify it as lacking the basic intelligence of precising the audience the game is meant for. I mean, Jarlo is a communicative boy, he expresses his ideas mildly, with proper diplomatic form, garnering everyone's approval, but then he just barges in your birthday party screaming "best tactical intelligent rpg that basic human being is supposed to enjoy" while tossing some shit in your face, you doubt the civility in the personnage.

I'm kidding, you are a good boy Jarl. Even a misunderstood genius, probably. One day you will please a woman. It will be really disgusting

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
KotC2 is a game without filler.

When I first played it, the difficulty of each encounter felt overwhelming, but it has become more manageable after a couple of patches (for the reasons I described above) and I keep coming back to replay my favorite encounters. Every encounter being a tough nut to crack is a good thing, it removes the tedium of trash mobs and actually makes the game more replayable because you only have good stuff to play through! No stretching at all (except a few parts of the third dungeon level, I guess).

Turn_BASED

Educated
It's one of the few games that actually works to the strengths of turn-based combat. Most turn-based combat is so retardedly easy, it may as well be RtwP. Not here, though.

That being said KotC2 should have stuck with the KotC1 pixel art.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
How is it that the art is still so fucking bad. Is there no one willing to help this frog make the game have at least a coherent identity visually?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
How is it that the art is still so fucking bad. Is there no one willing to help this frog make the game have at least a coherent identity visually?
The tokens and top-down dungeons looked great once you got used to them. Very readable, great for gameplay.

Then people tried to help Pierre with better art and stuff.
The result?
He bought a bunch of low quality isometric asset packs :lol:

Never change, Pierre!

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
- incredible AI in this game (badly wounded giant spider retreats while spewing web everywhere, roots my party and calls for help)
- encounter design is incredible already in the opening minutes (goblin arches on unreachable ridges, giant frog leaps out of the pond in the middle of my formation)
- music is charming 80s stuff (like Bards Tale)
- very good ruleset documentation (hover over anything to see detailed bonuses, like WotR but better visiblity imo)
- writing is good, in the spirit of old times/medieval times
- every battle is life and death (every battle is meaningful)
- formation is crucial, its like playing chess
- very very similar gameplay/ruleset to ToEE
And it has kobolds.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd like to remind everyone that while backers struggled with the hardest SRPG known to man a party of six kobolds broke through the unbeatable opening battle of Chapter 3, paving the way for lesser beings. :smug:

Reinhardt

Arcane
>KOTOR 2
>tactical RPG

lol, lmao even
hey, don't be mean! maybe
they only get to play one game for a long time because it's all they can afford, and they spend so much time with it that they're eventually forced to love it in order to justify their lack of gaming choices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom