Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline KotC 2 Module: Hearkenwold

Darth Canoli

Arcane
5-1619867922-2070072691.jpeg

After the short module from felipepe (Cragmaw Castle, also available on Nexus), here's the first full fledged module on the KotC 2 engine (official website/database), Hearkenwold, by Dorateen

I didn't take any screenshot so i'll just post Dorateen's screens from the Nexus page.

This is a recreation of Hearkenwold using the Knights of the Chalice 2 module editor.

A classic party-based adventure heavily inspired by the SSI Gold Box games, and in fact uses art assets (sprites and some tiles) from the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures archives.

The adventure begins with the party fleeing an attack on a feudal manor, and seeking refuge in Castle Hearkenwold. From there, they can be enlisted into service of the Kingdom, or try to explore on their own. This is designed as an open world sandbox style campaign. While not set in a specific world setting, Hearkenwold does draw upon the Dungeons & Dragons experience, with the aspiration of creating a pen and paper, rather than cinematic, type feel.

I played the module before in the iceblink engine but it was an earlier version and i completed about 20/25% of Hearkenwold actual content, it was very good but the KotC 2 engine UI is way better.

On top of that, you get all the races, classes and spells from the KotC 2 engine.
And it's a lot, 36 subraces divided between 10 races, 22 classes, some rarely seen in a cRPG (Death Knight, Gladiator, Champion, Psionicist ...) or never seen at all as far as i know (Psychic Healer and Psychic Warrior) in a cRPG and a plethora of spells and psionic powers.

Hearkenwold (slight SPOILERS)

Following the main story is not that easy, you should take some notes and pay attention to the dialogs as the auto notes are extremely scarce and only concern the main quest.
There's also a lot of side quests and a whole open-world to explore.
My favorite side-quest is the dwarven citadel but i wished it was open to a lower level party (from lvl 3 or 4), i got there by level 6 and unfortunately, it was quite easy and the final battle offered no challenge either, a real shame because everythign is great, it just needs a slight difficulty boost or being able to tackle it earlier.

Cities are well done, i really like them until Skardale, lot of content there and the city is divided into 6 districts, which is a bit overwhelming and makes it harder to follow some quests.
Aside from that, Skardale has obviously the most content (aside from the dwarven citadel, maybe) and you'll get some great fights there.

5-1619868233-643172633.jpeg

Combat
The arena offers some real challenge.
Up to level 3, the one with basiliks and cokatrix, next level is unfortunately not so tough because 20 squishy mages don't stand a chance against a cone of energy and bard crowd control spells.
The witches too, really tough fight and of course the cokatrix fight.
Aside from this, the combat is really challenging up to level 5/6 and then not so much, it was way more challenging in the iceblink engine but here, the new classes, races and feats makes the second half of the game a cakewalk. (cokatrix/basiliks aside with a couple of challenging fights)

Quests
It's interesting, there's some variety, dwarven mountain really stands out but there is some nice ones along the way.
As far as mods go, it's top notch.
There's one i really didn't care about.
The witch and the necromancer, west of skardale, what the hell did they both do on the side of the same road, just one map apart, why don't they tear themselves into pieces on their own?
And why would we care? Both their stories sucks so i just talked to them a couple of times because i couldn't chose and finally killed them both.

The main quest is solid as well, I just had some trouble to trigger the next even in the manor, for some reason but it might be because of a reload, maybe i thought i tried to triggered multiple times but i only did it once before reloading and doing it again.

World design
It's good, i like the consistency of the bugbear goblin theme with many different goblins and monstrous humanoids as foes with still a lot of diversity here and there.
Also different locations and alternate combat maps.
The basic maps feel a bit small at first, being a good fit for the iceblink engine but a bit small for KotC 2 engine but you get used to it and thanks to the combat map it's never a problem during combat.

Just don't play it with the token nor the new generated 3D sprites, the old pixilated sprites (as in the screenshots) fit perfectly.

TL: DR :4/5:
Excellent mod, 39 hours of fun (might be shorter for you) if you backed KotC 2, just play it already, if you didn't, well, you'll have two games for the price of one when you get it on GOG or Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorateen

Arcane
Great write-up! Thanks for playing, and I'm glad you enjoyed the module.

I would just add, because your party combination locked you out of the paladin and cleric guild quests, there is probably another few hours of unique content available.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
KotC 2 reminds me of Blades of Exile. KotC 2 isn't even fully released and it already has modules. I am annoyed I can not buy it on Steam/GoG currently. I added myself to GoG's notification.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Nice review, I'm dying to get some free hours to play this!

In case someone else is getting ready to play this as well, below are the classes that will allow to join each guild quest
WIZARD - Psion/Sorcerer/Warlock/Wizard/Mage Knight
CLERIC - Bishop/Cleric/Psych Healer
PALADIN - Champion/Paladin
FIGHTER - Barbarian/Death Knight/Fighter/Gladiator/Mage Knight/Monk/Psych Warrior/Samurai
RANGER - Druid/Ranger/Storm Warrior
THIEF - Bard/Rogue

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've started playing this and I'm having a blast. It feels like a low level Gold Box game right off the bat (using PoR sprites might have something to do with that). It's more relaxing than Augury of Chaos, and a nice way to get eased into KotC2.

FriendlyMerchant

I've started playing this and I'm having a blast. It feels like a low level Gold Box game right off the bat (using PoR sprites might have something to do with that). It's more relaxing than Augury of Chaos, and a nice way to get eased into KotC2.
I ran a rogue in this. Dual wielding rogue with the new dex damage option. OP. Always goes first, walks up to the strongest enemy, destroys them in a round.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom