Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian General Discussion Thread

MjKorz

Educated
There is an incredibly strong bias against Larian here.
It would been easier to say what studio the Codex doesn't have a bias against or just pure hatred towards tbh.
Yes but the few guys making the news should be more neutral. In this case, it's very important information: new studios and two new RPGs are upcoming. These are likely to be of a much bigger scope, and I dare to say, much more exciting than what I see on the front page. For example, a coat of paint on a 43-year-old game, and some other pixel art garbage cashing in on nostalgia, pretending to copy Goldbox games while including nothing at all reminiscent of those games, and being more primitive than those decades-old games.
Based.

It's funny how literally the most successful CRPG of all time did not get a review here.

Larian and BG3 completely mind broke the codex.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/review-baldurs-gate-3.148020/

Good enough.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Can't wait for that new Ultima reboot by Larian with no day and night cycles or NPC schedules!
Maybe absence of night and day cycles or NPC schedules is just Larian copying Elden Ring and the other similar Fromsoftware games that everyone praises. There, it is feature...

Old Hans

Arcane
Can't wait for that new Ultima reboot by Larian with no day and night cycles or NPC schedules!
Maybe absence of night and day cycles or NPC schedules is just Larian copying Elden Ring and the other similar Fromsoftware games that everyone praises. There, it is feature...
or they're just copying DoS2 which has the exact same annoying problems as BG3, like static npcs who stand around forever repeating the same line of dialog like an animatronic disney ride

Harthwain

Magister
or they're just copying DoS2 which has the exact same annoying problems as BG3, like static npcs who stand around forever repeating the same line of dialog like an animatronic disney ride
Static NPCs is extremely common in cRPGs (including some classic ones), so blaming DoS2 and BG3 for it is weird.

Old Hans

Arcane
Static NPCs is extremely common in cRPGs (including some classic ones), so blaming DoS2 and BG3 for it is weird.
there is a good way and a bad way to insert static npcs. you dont wanna draw attention to them or else you end up like the Larien

La vie sexuelle

Learned

There's only one thing I don't understand - what is the purpose of this channel? After all, they have one.

It's a channel for superfans that will have stuff they don't want to spam regular YouTube subscribers with. Not an unheard of practice, eg:

https://www.youtube.com/@FocusEntertainmentOfficial
https://www.youtube.com/@FocusEntertainmentCommunity

Maybe I worded it wrong - what I meant was what is the function of this spam channel a year after the game's release?

And the only solution I came to was that the old channel would be used to promote the new game, and the new channel would keep the interest of old fans and randoms lured by YouTube's algorithm to redirect their interest to the main channel.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
the new channel would keep the interest of old fans and randoms lured by YouTube's algorithm

The people demand Content.

Yes, but these "people" (I'll use that term only for courtesy's sake) are a minority, even if a relatively large one for the game.

Giving people what they want without considering your own interests is irrational. I think they are supposed to act as traffic generators that direct the algorithms in the right directions for Larian. They serve capitalism like zombies.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Swen Vincke unlocks his gaming memories; from wanting to make RTS games; his love for Dragon Age's Morrigan; why he thinks Ultima VII was so amazing; and how he feared Baldur's Gate 3 was too small...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You charge the price the customer is willing to pay.

Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord from 1981 was $50. You want to keep up with inflation and charge $175 for a crpg, go ahead, we'll see if you stay in business.

BG3 made a ton of profit even with its development costs so this just comes across as greed.

Mortmal

Arcane
You charge the price the customer is willing to pay.

Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord from 1981 was $50. You want to keep up with inflation and charge $175 for a crpg, go ahead, we'll see if you stay in business.

BG3 made a ton of profit even with its development costs so this just comes across as greed.
It's not really comparable. With Wizardry, we went from a black CRT screen to a simulated D&D computer game, built from scratch—it's revolutionary. If there were something as revolutionary today, I'd spend 175 euros in a heartbeat. Now, I wouldn't even bother to pirate a $100 Ubisoft game.

Michael Douse says $70-80 AAA games would be preferable to $120 Ultimate Edition bonus DLC slop:
For what is worth I noticed this guy more than once across three years of early access for Baldur's Gate 3.
Even then, he never missed a chance to come off as an obnoxious wanker every time he posted something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom