Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian General Discussion Thread

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
It's funny how literally the most successful CRPG of all time did not get a review here.
Tbh the game is super big and you gotta do at least two complete runs to properly review it with how much content that's missable.

Mortmal

Arcane
There is an incredibly strong bias against Larian here.
It would been easier to say what studio the Codex doesn't have a bias against or just pure hatred towards tbh.
Yes but the few guys making the news should be more neutral. In this case, it's very important information: new studios and two new RPGs are upcoming. These are likely to be of a much bigger scope, and I dare to say, much more exciting than what I see on the front page. For example, a coat of paint on a 43-year-old game, and some other pixel art garbage cashing in on nostalgia, pretending to copy Goldbox games while including nothing at all reminiscent of those games, and being more primitive than those decades-old games.
Based.

It's funny how literally the most successful CRPG of all time did not get a review here.

Larian and BG3 completely mind broke the codex.
Of course, it's not getting a review. Codex's style is edgy and critical of RPGs, which is hard to do since it's the best RPG ever made. If you start to write something that way about BG3, you have to keep the same standard for everyone else; then everything else is complete shit compared to it. The next exciting things are coming from Larian. There's absolutely nothing else, maybe a Fallout 5 done by Obsidian at best. Being extremely optimistic, some UFO indie dev might come out of nowhere, but most of the indies are primitive, backyard projects that do not improve upon 40-year-old games. It broke Codex's mind, but not only that. The first thing other developers said was not that they will strive to do their best and match it, but 'don't expect anything like that from us ever,' and indeed we will never get anything nearly as good from them.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Annual Kirill post:

XowGPVj.gif

DaveO

Erudite
Sound track elevated a mediocre or slightly below average role playing game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://www.gamesradar.com/games/ba...d-instead-there-was-not-a-lot-to-choose-from/

Baldur's Gate 3 studio CEO says that if he couldn't make a D&D game, Fallout and Ultima were the only other RPG licenses he would have considered instead : "There was not a lot to choose from"

"It's one of those IPs that you know a lot of people will want to work on. So it would be great for attracting other people to the studio," explains Vincke of his reasoning at the time. "I felt like there was a glass ceiling that we wouldn't be able to break through unless we had triple-A production values, budget, marketing, all the triple A things.

Elsewhere in the interview, Vincke discussed the impact of those production values, and how they fitted into the game's pipeline, particularly when it came to cinematics. "From where I was sitting, coming back to my strategic vision for Larian, [cinematics] made perfect sense. If we were going to bring a game like Original Sin 2 to larger crowds, we would need to have triple-A production values, whatever that takes. Because it's only then that we're going to discover if there's a market for this type of game."

Vampire the Masquerade fans either seething or breathing a sigh of relief.

I don't think there's really all that much enthusiasm for Ultima anymore. A Larian Fallout would have been a cursed monkey's paw wish (a turn based pseudo-isometric Fallout at what cost?).

Cinematics are a trap that Bioware regrets falling into. Swen may end up feeling the same if he hasn't already.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
https://www.gamesradar.com/games/ba...d-instead-there-was-not-a-lot-to-choose-from/

Baldur's Gate 3 studio CEO says that if he couldn't make a D&D game, Fallout and Ultima were the only other RPG licenses he would have considered instead : "There was not a lot to choose from"

"It's one of those IPs that you know a lot of people will want to work on. So it would be great for attracting other people to the studio," explains Vincke of his reasoning at the time. "I felt like there was a glass ceiling that we wouldn't be able to break through unless we had triple-A production values, budget, marketing, all the triple A things.

Elsewhere in the interview, Vincke discussed the impact of those production values, and how they fitted into the game's pipeline, particularly when it came to cinematics. "From where I was sitting, coming back to my strategic vision for Larian, [cinematics] made perfect sense. If we were going to bring a game like Original Sin 2 to larger crowds, we would need to have triple-A production values, whatever that takes. Because it's only then that we're going to discover if there's a market for this type of game."

Vampire the Masquerade fans either seething or breathing a sigh of relief.

I don't think there's really all that much enthusiasm for Ultima anymore. A Larian Fallout would have been a cursed monkey's paw wish (a turn based pseudo-isometric Fallout at what cost?).

Cinematics are a trap that Bioware regrets falling into. Swen may end up feeling the same if he hasn't already.

Caves of Lore and Skald are about the closest thing we've gotten to Ultima in a long time. I would be intrigued to see what a Larian Ultima would like like because Divine Divinity had some Ultima influence, but yeah they wouldn't be able to make their money back on something like that now.

MasterofThunder

Apparently if Larian didn't get the D&D license they either wanted to do a Fallout or Ultima game. So that means we could've had an Ultima with gay bear sex or a Fallout with gay bear sex. Truly a crying shame.

Vyvian

Educated
I honestly wouldn't mind a Larian Fallout game.
I wonder if they'd let them do turn-based top-down instead of first person if it ever happened though.

the mole

Scholar
Shitposter
I honestly wouldn't mind a Larian Fallout game.
I wonder if they'd let them do turn-based top-down instead of first person if it ever happened though.
because we need another fallout with the 3 wastelands released, and god knows how many other post apoc, if the original writers and devs aren't working on it it's dead, I'd rather have modders who have a passion do it, larian wants to do their own thing, it's an ego thing

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Keep wondering if they might finally try something space related. Something different. (Almost) all they have ever done is Fantasy™, but that's the "safe" market to stay in. Just keep doing and stick to your thoughts on what a cRPG is Swen. :salute:

Harthwain

Magister
Divinity: Dragon Commander had plenty of elements you could easily translate to sci-fi.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Space opera or something like that would fit Larian pretty well. It's a better choice for Larian's "le quirky" attitude.

The accursed Franco Belgians produced many comicbooks of that genre. All of them, just like BG3, uncomfortably horny.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom