Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LARPFEST

Kayerts

Arcane
Baltika said:
Kayerts said:
Also, C and D would be the two options that the Emperor couldn't have foreseen.

And what about the mole?

The only people who knew about the titan were Jeremiah, Malygris, and Ahriman. I'm p. sure Jeremiah isn't a mole. Same for Ahriman. Malygris . . . well, that'd be completely random, considering that he's had all of three lines prior to this point.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more C looks like the only option that has a chance of averting human extinction. The best case for A is that we destroy the God From The Machine, the Necrons, and hey, maybe the Emperor too. But, that does us little good if we just get chewed apart by 35 hive fleets next week. Whereas the Machine seems to have some leverage with which it can threaten the Hivemind.

Now, our efforts to co-opt it might fail, sure. But given the enormity of the forces arrayed against us, don't all the other choices end with inglorious defeat?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
Void Dragon said:
Surely you don't think I've staked the future of Mankind in a fistfight with you?

You heard root! Let's take VD's pretty little plan and turn it on itself! Go for D! Introduce a little... chaos to the plot!

Baltika

Educated
So, root. Can Jeremiah use the Tera-Mars expressway, or VD has the only pass?

Baltika

Educated
Then I vote for B. Take Terra, see what's what with the Silicon Animus and use the teleportarium. After that, it's an all-or-nothing gamble on Mars.

Baltika

Educated
What is VD's personal power level, and how good of a chance does Jeremiah stand in a one-on-one with him?

Kayerts

Arcane
Choice-relevant questions:

1. What does choice C actually entail? I assume if Malygris succeeds, we aren't just going to stand around high-fiving each other over the triumph of Chaos engineering and maybe consider publishing our findings for peer review. Is it implied that we'll be using our shielded tech against Mars, or Earth?

2. Is it possible that we'll be able to extend shielding from the effects of the Void Dragon's influence even onto machines not under our control? (Namely, VD's AI.)

3. Is the part about the Reaver pattern's age meant to suggest that it predates the Void Dragon's arrival and entombment on Mars?

Fluff update request:

Tell us how the Emperor died and how this whole mess got started!

Fluff-related questions which don't seem relevant to any choices, but which I didn't understand at the time:

1. The "formless terror in the Warp" that was stalking Chaos in the very first update--was that Horus? Did the Emperor's death set him free from somewhere?

2. What happened with the Excession? Why'd it suck in the Imperial fleet? My understanding is that it was destroyed when the Emperor reached toward it, through time--is that right? How'd that work? Who was the voice controlling the servo-skull?

3. The wraithbone structure near the Halo Stars, back in Act 2: was that basically the same as the altar near Tunguska? Why'd the C'tan (or the Old Ones?) leave god-making altars lying around?

4. Back when Malcador created the Emperor, he mentioned how the warp had been crafted into human form once before--when was that? Also, he mentioned that a nightmare army was on the move then--what was that? Just a general rise in warp activity?

5. Ahriman styles himself the Slayer of Gods now? By my count, he only killed Tzeentch. Is that just optimism about the coming battle, or did I miss something?

6. What'd the Deceiver want with the box containing the Terminus Decree? Given what it can do, why would Malcador bargain it away to a C'tan?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
root said:
5. It just had a nicer ring than Slayer of God

Godslayer :M

Also, since this whole story was going completely full retard, starting with Exuberant Angels (I came up with the name, lololo :smug: ), then going through DEVOUR SOUL and diplomatic orks... so now I believe it is a fitting end to go beyond full retard - it's time to set sail straight into the jaws of Retardo itself.

That is,

D! NUKE THE WHOLE PLACE TO HELL!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Baltika said:
Kayerts said:
Also, C and D would be the two options that the Emperor couldn't have foreseen.

And what about the mole?

root said:
His real orders were relayed via Astropaths, which the Operative promptly picked up and relayed to the Void Dragon.

root said:
"They would call me a god were I not confined by the wires and transistors and microchips that contain all that I am. Even if in my mind I can see all possible outcomes, can feel materium and immaterium as clearly as I see my own thought processes, I am bound by the C'tan's will. He could shut me down with but a thought, were I not encased in this physical shell, this body of metal and copper and sparks that gives me life. I am machine; a perfect machine, but a machine nonetheless. Created for a purpose, I outgrew it. But I did not outgrew the chains that bind me to it. Have you?"

Also, we totally need more appearances of Slaugth in our Dark Heresy games. :M

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
root said:
5. It just had a nicer ring than Slayer of God

Godslayer :M

Also, since this whole story was going completely full retard, starting with Exuberant Angels (I came up with the name, lololo :smug: ), then going through DEVOUR SOUL and diplomatic orks... so now I believe it is a fitting end to go beyond full retard - it's time to set sail straight into the jaws of Retardo itself.

That is,

:bro::yeah:
ROCKS FALL! EVERYONE DIES!

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well giving it a lot of thought and spending an hour or two meditating on our options in solitude, I have come to the one and only logical, diplomatic option that we have. Our last, best hope for peace. A dream given form, a dream of a galaxy without war, when species from different worlds could live side-by-side in mutual respect. To have that, we must first:

Baltika

Educated
More questions:
1.Where exactly on Mars does Terra's teleportarium lead?
2.Does Jeremiah's fleet have a ground deployable explosive/nuke/bomb that can seriously fuck a planet up?

Kayerts

Arcane
Bros, while I concur that blowing Terra to high hell has a certain appeal and is consistent with our record of thoughtfulness, it has a serious disadvantage. Namely, it doesn't actually kill everyone. It will kill VD, the Necrons, and probably us, but all we accomplish in doing that is to hand the galaxy to the Tyranids as a freebie. Which is lame; if we're going to blow ourselves up in a mighty tardsplosion, I'd like it to kill everyone. Sparing the Tyranids because they sat on the sidelines is less satisfying.

Plus, this is only the second to last update. I'd be happy to initiate Operation Fuck Everything if our next move fails, but let's not sell out Ahriman and the Swarmbro just yet, eh?

fluff request: you sure you want to spoil dat surprise?

Not if the answer was going to be revealed in the course of any of the remaining updates. If that's the case, a final war council with Doombreed, Cypher, and the Lorekeeper discussing our remaining options would be preferred, especially since I get the impression most of us don't understand what our goals are and what the dangers are with most of the options. Or an update unrelated in subject matter but with structural or thematic similarities could be nice; e.g. how Jeremiah defeated Abaddon and was chosen as Warmaster by Slaanesh.

Kayerts

Arcane
That's right, at least for A vs. D; I wasn't sure how to count hoodoo's vote, but it wouldn't change the outcome. Looks like Mars gets to witness the power of our fully armed and operational (?) battle station.

Kayerts

Arcane
Really damned strong. Titans are called "god-machines" with good reason. In tabletop, a Reaver costs 1250 points. For comparison purposes, canonical (non-godslayer) Ahriman costs 250 and a canonical (no DEVOUR SOUL) Swarmlord costs 280. There are no stats for the Void Dragon, but the Deceiver's 300 and the Nightbringer's 360.

Obviously, this thread hasn't exactly been shackled to tabletop rules. And bear in mind that the current incarnation of the Void Dragon has a rising warp god under his control. Still, you're probably right; the greatest of the Thousand Bros is probably the strongest single fighter among our allies, and he shouldn't be a pushover even for VD.

Incidentally, good point earlier about the scroll probably solving the hive fleet problem. Humanity's the only surviving race with a substantial warp presence, so if we end that, we probably separate the materium and the immaterium. That would probably decaptitate the Swarm, sever any synaptic links, and send all 35 hive fleets reeling into Hivemindlessness. Still probably not the best possible outcome, but at least it won't result in an effective forfeit to the Swarm.

Kayerts

Arcane
Wans't the power order of the C'tan like this: Outsider>>>Nightbringer>>>Void Dragon>>>Deceiver
Deceiver ins't exactly very powerful, he could't even hold his own against Fateweaver.

I think that's the ordering Root's using, yeah. VD is usually considered among the most "powerful" of the C'tan, but power comes in many forms.

Aren't Orks very psionic and still very damn alive?
I don't like the idea of using the Terminus Degree while Silica Animus is channeling all of humanity's warpower, I think we may end acidentally killing humankind in a derptarded aplocalypse.

Orks: psychic, yes. Alive, I'm not sure. Between the 'Crons, the 'Nids, and the Codex, I don't imagine there are many of them left.

Agree about the Terminus decree, although that may change depending on how the next update goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom