Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LARPFEST

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK

WE SALUTE YOU

:yeah:

Bros, I think we got trolled. All the time while wanting to burn Terra down, we should have wanted to obliterate Mars.

and given:

Imperial thought for the day: This is the last time we’ll be taking to one another.

I have a feeling this is the last choice, so... choose wisely, I guess.

Kayerts

Arcane
Who is like unto the Emperor? Who is able to make war with him?

I salute you

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK

WE SALUTE YOU

:salute:

Anyway, looks like this is the end of the line. B's an obviously bad idea; once the Swarmlord drops, nothing will stand between the Emperor and his ascension. We could theoretically back him up, but that would involve getting to Terra without dying horribly, and then helping kill a C'tan (how?). Swarmbro's on his own, I think.

D feels like it's probably the second best option: we take out Him On Terra (and, incidentally, Terra). We'll probably neutralize the necrons, too. Though it sounds like side effects may include cutting all mankind off from the Warp and maybe killing them. Still, they'll die for the Emperor. Sort of.

A and C are both riskier but offer a chance at a less qualified victory. I don't really like C--it takes precious time, and I'm not sure whether VD can pull his deus ex machina shit while the Swarmlord's warp shadow is on Terra. On the other hand, Ahriman's never been wrong before, the details of the titan are promising, and if we manage to pull it off quickly enough, we can take out Mars.

I like A; it seems like it's got a good chance of taking out the Necron fleet. If we get a clean shot at the Noctis Labyrinth, we can stop the Emperor's apotheosis and maybe even kill him when his Bifrost bridge equivalent shatters. Feels like a trap, though. VD could hijack our gun, or we might misgauge the energy that will be reflected and obliterate ourselves, or . . .

Tentative vote for C, I guess, although I could be swayed by a persuasive argument.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If we chose D and get rid of the VD and that massive ball&chain in the human psyche that is Terra, it will all be in vain because, without any defenses left, the rest of the hive fleets are going to arrive in a matter of weeks and wipe out everything.

Chosing B or C would just duplicate Ahriman's effort, and that would mean taking unnecessary losses because, if he fails, and the Swarmlord fails as well, we won't be able to make much of a difference anyway.

That leaves A. If we manage to take Mars, it would mean the end of whatever the VD has planned and, most likely, it would cut him off from, possibly, his most important reservoir of power. That, in turn, would tilt the balance in favor of Ahriman and the Swarmlord, so taking Mars would actively help them in defeating the VD.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
D is the "Rocks fall, everyone dies" choice. As tempting as enacting armageddon is, I don't think it'd be a very satisfying end.

B seems to be essentially duplicating Brorhiman's efforts. It also appears supremely stupid, considering VD seems to place more importance on Mars.

That leaves A or C. But seeing as we have no idea how long it'd take Malgyris to replicate the shielding and distribute it throughout our fleet, I'm leaning towards the former rather than waiting until it may be too late.

So my vote is a tentative vote for A. I could be swayed to C by a compelling argument.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
B
In the game of thrones you win or you die. We must intend to win the throne.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Jaedar said:
In the game of thrones you win or you die. We must intend to win the throne.

Which throne though? From all accounts, it looks like the real throne worth winning is on Mars.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
You know, C isn't that bad an idea. Sure, Malygris is one of the more evil and insane motherfuckers out there, but if he can actually protect us from the Void Dragon just shutting all our stuff down it could be worth it. Obviously, we must stop Skynet Mk. 42k from happening as well, so I think that Mars actually takes precedence over Terra. The Silicus Animus might very well turn out to be a more dangerous foe than the C'tan in the end.

Also, we better prepare so that we can survive the coming invasion of the Worm Who Walks... The Slaugth are probably already feasting on the carcass of the Calixis Sector and are now hungry for more. :M

Baltika

Educated
B is a vainglorious choice, from what I understand. Unless we can use the Dragon's teleporter ourselves, then Terra's throne is meaningless.

D is the "OHMYGODWHATDOIDO" choice,

Inbetween A and C.

A is immediate action to nuke VD, albeit extremely risky, with the refractors and all.

C, with less then a 50% chance, is a gamble. So is A.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm actually kind of tempted to flip-flop to D.

Sure, humanity is probably DOOMED™ if we do it. But wouldn't it be worth it just to see the look on the faces of VD, Swarmbro and Ahriman? Would it not be a fitting end to the saga that began with the exuberant angels and the DEVOUR SOUL of Marius Hax?

Comrades. BROS and trans-BROs. What say ye? Would it not be glorious to watch the galaxy burn?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ulminati said:
I'm actually kind of tempted to flip-flop to D.

Sure, humanity is probably DOOMED™ if we do it. But wouldn't it be worth it just to see the look on the faces of VD, Swarmbro and Ahriman? Would it not be a fitting end to the saga that began with the exuberant angels and the DEVOUR SOUL of Marius Hax?

Comrades. BROS and trans-BROs. What say ye? Would it not be glorious to watch the galaxy burn?

It would, indeed, be glorious. But root managed to tickle my curiosity with the idea that the Tyranids are running from something and that VD's computer knows what it is. If we nuke the whole place, we'll never know what they're running from.

Yeah, it's not an unheared of plot device (for example, the Honored Matres in the later Dune books and the Vasari in Sins of a Solar Empire were running from an unknown menace even while they themselves were a bunch of over-the-top-scary bastards), but it's still nicely done. And the "maggot men" make me think of Half-Life's combine aliens, which, again, is a very nice touch.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Azael said:
The Maggot Men most likely refer to the Slaugth, a species introduced in the Dark Heresy setting. They're really, really nasty, but as presented in the game they don't exactly stand up to the 'nids.
All Slaught are untouchables, which probably messes the hivemind up, making combat quite difficult. And their weapons are really nasty.

Kayerts

Arcane
Based on the last two updates, it doesn't exactly sound like the godlike Machine Mind (which seems likely to be the thing in the Noctis Labyrinth?) is on board with VD's plan. If we could sever the Emperor's control of it somehow, he will likely be its first target.

C is really looking like the best option here, inasmuch as it offers the best chance of snapping the link between Him On Terra and Him On Mars. If we can extend our shield over our fleet, why not over the rising Machine Mind itself?

Also, C and D would be the two options that the Emperor couldn't have foreseen. Root's consistently portrayed VD as a master planner; he'll have a contingency for every outcome he can account for. Thus, acting in accordance with foreseeable actions seems unlikely to end well for us; any possible victory will hinge on hitting him with something he didn't see coming. The Reaver is the only wildcard left aside from the scroll, so it seems like the best option, no?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
skuphundaku said:
If we chose D and get rid of the VD and that massive ball&chain in the human psyche that is Terra, it will all be in vain because, without any defenses left, the rest of the hive fleets are going to arrive in a matter of weeks and wipe out everything.

Chosing B or C would just duplicate Ahriman's effort, and that would mean taking unnecessary losses because, if he fails, and the Swarmlord fails as well, we won't be able to make much of a difference anyway.

That leaves A. If we manage to take Mars, it would mean the end of whatever the VD has planned and, most likely, it would cut him off from, possibly, his most important reservoir of power. That, in turn, would tilt the balance in favor of Ahriman and the Swarmlord, so taking Mars would actively help them in defeating the VD.
This

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've changted my mind

FLIP-FLOP TO D

Everything burns!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom