Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last Epoch - time travel action-RPG

You clearly never played Wolcen if you think wolcen combat feel is "janky".
I played Wolcen at launch. It wasn't as great as you're slobbering on about.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'll say this for LE: It actually has some interesting skills. Stuff like the time reversal power or the abomination summon you make by mashing together your other summons and some of the curses do pretty neat stuff. PoE wins in this aspect, but it's held back in so many other ways. Skills synergizing like totems that fire your thorns for you is also really good stuff D2 figured out ages ago that hasn't been copied enough since.

I can't get the hype people have for GD. like 90% of the skill tree is literally a basic melee attack or ranged projectile with 'This does whatever flavour of damage' tacked on. And then people get incredibly excited over being able to change flavours from purple sparkles to green sparkles. That shit doesn't matter to me at all. The only thing GD has going for it is the constellation shit, and really only a half dozen of those are actually interesting instead of being stuff you tack on to make number go up.

Perkel

Arcane
I can't get the hype people have for GD. like 90% of the skill tree is literally a basic melee attack or ranged projectile with 'This does whatever flavour of damage' tacked on. And then people get incredibly excited over being able to change flavours from purple sparkles to green sparkles. That shit doesn't matter to me at all. The only thing GD has going for it is the constellation shit, and really only a half dozen of those are actually interesting instead of being stuff you tack on to make number go up.

GD combat like you said is color flavor a lot of time which is why it has worst combat feel. But customization you get is pretty much only competition to POE. Skills you get from class itself are one thing but then there are whole host of additional skills you get from crafting, uniques, etc. is pretty great. And then there are infrequent and various other loot that modifies your skills.
I really wish Crate would make GD2 or at least remake GD graphics/animations.

GrainWetski

Arcane

You also picked the one hybrid class in the game and complain about pure options comparing with D3 that has only pure classes. Go ahead and compare LE druid with D2 or D4.

But all classes from what i see in LE are hybrid as in they are few different tunes in them rather than being generalist. And that's my point. If your argument is that wolves can bite with freeze and that makes it elementalist skill then yeah i don't agree. Unfortunately crafting which at start seems fine soon enough became too strong to see any loot as worthwhile.

This makes no sense. The loot determines the crafting. You need good drops for great crafts. You can't just craft something from scratch. I agree with quite a few of your points for once (in particular that the campaign is probably the most ass aRPG campaign I've ever played), but this one is almost "did you even play the game?"-tier.

The issue is that what you do is that you gather junk to scour them from affixes and prefixes and none of the loot falls in good shape to begin with to outmatch your crafted gear. So you never have "OMG" moment that something good drops because what is good and what is not is decided by random fucking chance at crafting for your forging potential to hit crit or not use potential.

For my whole playthrough i never used anything from ground because it was always worse than crafted gear I had on me. And to craft something greater than on me i almost never used "good loot" but loot with the most potential and waited for random fucking chance to hit roll right.

The loot itself as in affixes, base types, etc. are good. I like them very much. The issue is that i never get any rush from any drop. Because I know for loot to be usable i need to hit some crits on crafting. So whatever i get some "amazing" chest rolled right i know i have much greater chance to roll medium rolled chest but many of them at hit those crits instead.

No doubt for some people who are into crafting this might be plus to spend most of their time shoveling garbage gear into forge and scouring but that's not my jam.

Uniques are fine, and i like them but they drop rarely and probably there aren't that many of them for base game.

Crafting having inpact on dropped loot isn't exclusive problem of LE all arpgs with crafting have it. D2 runewords literally destroyed loot gathering in D2 until endgame, POE crafting table took away a lot from loot when it was introduced and so on.
You literally need dropped Exalted items and Legendary Potential on uniques to do any end game crafting whatsoever as the two highest tier Prefixes and Suffixes are drop only. The best items for levelling are Legendary Potential low level uniques with Exalted mods so at no point in the game are purely crafted items anywhere close to the best.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You also picked the one hybrid class in the game and complain about pure options comparing with D3 that has only pure classes. Go ahead and compare LE druid with D2 or D4.

But all classes from what i see in LE are hybrid as in they are few different tunes in them rather than being generalist. And that's my point. If your argument is that wolves can bite with freeze and that makes it elementalist skill then yeah i don't agree. Unfortunately crafting which at start seems fine soon enough became too strong to see any loot as worthwhile.

This makes no sense. The loot determines the crafting. You need good drops for great crafts. You can't just craft something from scratch. I agree with quite a few of your points for once (in particular that the campaign is probably the most ass aRPG campaign I've ever played), but this one is almost "did you even play the game?"-tier.

The issue is that what you do is that you gather junk to scour them from affixes and prefixes and none of the loot falls in good shape to begin with to outmatch your crafted gear. So you never have "OMG" moment that something good drops because what is good and what is not is decided by random fucking chance at crafting for your forging potential to hit crit or not use potential.

For my whole playthrough i never used anything from ground because it was always worse than crafted gear I had on me. And to craft something greater than on me i almost never used "good loot" but loot with the most potential and waited for random fucking chance to hit roll right.

The loot itself as in affixes, base types, etc. are good. I like them very much. The issue is that i never get any rush from any drop. Because I know for loot to be usable i need to hit some crits on crafting. So whatever i get some "amazing" chest rolled right i know i have much greater chance to roll medium rolled chest but many of them at hit those crits instead.

No doubt for some people who are into crafting this might be plus to spend most of their time shoveling garbage gear into forge and scouring but that's not my jam.

Uniques are fine, and i like them but they drop rarely and probably there aren't that many of them for base game.

Crafting having inpact on dropped loot isn't exclusive problem of LE all arpgs with crafting have it. D2 runewords literally destroyed loot gathering in D2 until endgame, POE crafting table took away a lot from loot when it was introduced and so on.
You literally need dropped Exalted items and Legendary Potential on uniques to do any end game crafting whatsoever as the two highest tier Prefixes and Suffixes are drop only. The best items for levelling are Legendary Potential low level uniques with Exalted mods so at no point in the game are purely crafted items anywhere close to the best.
I think he said he only finished the campaign so do not take him seriously. He is shitting on whole game by only playing half of it.

abija

Prophet
You clearly never played Wolcen if you think wolcen combat feel is "janky". Wolcen combat is more AAA than D3/D4, each skill being juicy to use, having proper impact etc. . It is literally only good thing about Wolcen to at least play it once for experience, rest is a fucking mess. They put shitton of work into making sure that each skills is juicy as hell to use.

1 time EA, 1 time release (after a week so extremely broken shit was fixed), played a bit into "endgame", 1 time after like 10 months (didn't last much, not enough was changed) , 1 time ~1month after xbox launch (appreciated the end game systems but everything else still full mode jank).

I'm not some over-enthusiastic moron, PR manure regurgitator like you.

Also i don't see how you can put GD in same bracket as LE or POE. LE has clearly better combat feel than pretty much anything, way above GD and GD combat feels like wet noodles on wall with FX being paint shop work and animations done by some 5 year old kid. It was Kickstarter game it you can see that.

PoE, LE, Wolcen are also "kickstarter" games you monkey. In fact GD creators were the only ones who started with a known engine and experience in what to do with it and built from there. Wolcen is the only one in the list where the devs were happy people threw money at an alpha and didn't bother fixing the broken shit.

If your argument is that wolves can bite with freeze and that makes it elementalist skill then yeah i don't agree.
Wolves had a damage buff -> support skill. Main skills were shooting frost and freezing whatever got close. The passive/skill system has a lot of depth and it's very fun to play around and experiment with. I don't blame anyone that goes "game is brainded so all systems are useless", but stop there. You probably didn't even try all the builds available for 1 specialization and start spewing shit about the system design.

Last edited:

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not some over-enthusiastic moron, PR manure regurgitator like you.
Perkel shills for Star Citizen, nuff said.

EDIT: On topic - found this on the interwebz:
i-understand-that-localization-isnt-really-top-priority-v0-58e76hbefpkc1.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

This is utter nonsense. You literally need good drops to craft. What you're saying makes no sense at all.

I think he said he only finished the campaign so do not take him seriously. He is shitting on whole game by only playing half of it.

My biggest issue with the game is that the content taken as a whole - both the campaign and the endgame - feels very void/barebones. So I'm not sure I agree that it makes a big difference in so far as his opinion of the content goes.

But not having played past the campaign is clearly the reason he has that utter shit take on item drops.

Perkel

Arcane
This is utter nonsense. You literally need good drops to craft. What you're saying makes no sense at all.

Or maybe you love crafting gear and I don't. I want my loot when it lands to matter. You want it to be another brick in the wall.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Or maybe you love crafting gear and I don't. I want my loot when it lands to matter. You want it to be another brick in the wall.

My loot matters as much as in any other aRPG. You don't understand the system at its most basic level.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's not that he's shitting on the game, everybody's gonna have their own taste. It's that his takes are just factually retarded.

Anyway, one thing I'm really enjoying is the enemy variety, it's what is right now keeping me hooked.

Perkel

Arcane

My loot matters as much as in any other aRPG. You don't understand the system at its most basic level.
I do understand it. It is you who can't accept difference in tastes. You like slurping garbage parts for crafting. I like when some awesome sword or chest drops and it is better than chest i wear. And no, not "Now if i tinker it this way, then this way, then spend hours grinding for runes then maybe at the end I will have slightly better chest." which is what you like.

Aside from two uniquest there wasn't any drop that made me "WoW" this is good reward or this is useful. That's because my crafted gear is just better than what you get from looting. And no i don't need amazing base. I just need mediacore. Because if you roll few mediacore you have higher chance to get better gear than rolling better gear once in a looong while.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally got the time to try the "release" version. Seems it's still the exact same pile of janky and buggy potential. Sure the systems are interesting and a breath of fresh air in the genre, but the execution is just so lacking. And they've had the time to fix the basics for so goddamn long. Seems like the team has plenty of idea guys but not a single competent software developer. That said, I've already played the game for more than a hundred hours, so I have gotten my money's worth and then some, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd really recommend the game in it's current state.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got the time to try the "release" version. Seems it's still the exact same pile of janky and buggy potential. Sure the systems are interesting and a breath of fresh air in the genre, but the execution is just so lacking. And they've had the time to fix the basics for so goddamn long. Seems like the team has plenty of idea guys but not a single competent software developer. That said, I've already played the game for more than a hundred hours, so I have gotten my money's worth and then some, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd really recommend the game in it's current state.
Check CEO linkedin - he was a marketing pro before going into games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

spend hours grinding for runes

you are stupendously stupid

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As I recall, they were an ARPG fan community of some sort that took a stab at doing their own. So... a bunch of idea guys that aren't necessarily programmers.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

First-time-james-franco-hanging-meme.jpg

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
As I recall, they were an ARPG fan community of some sort that took a stab at doing their own. So... a bunch of idea guys that aren't necessarily programmers.
The game literally got started with the CEO posting his ideas on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6bxo00/help_designdecide_the_perfect_arpg_diablo_poe/

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game literally got started with the CEO posting his ideas on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6bxo00/help_designdecide_the_perfect_arpg_diablo_poe/
Now they are 70+ people studio with tencent funding.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

View attachment 47002

Not even in the slightest, Perkel has been shitting up the PoE thread for so long. But he is actually right about a few of his criticisms of Last Epoch, he just sprinkled in some classic ultraretarded Perkel

Perkel

Arcane

Not even in the slightest, Perkel has been shitting up the PoE thread for so long. But he is actually right about a few of his criticisms of Last Epoch, he just sprinkled in some classic ultraretarded Perkel

OR maybe just maybe I am not retarded. My criticism toward POE is literally shared by devs themselves before they even announced POE2 and then hardcore. I was one of the first one that loved it back when i was still janky mess (literally closed beta) over the years it upgraded but started to go astray so much so that even devs started to see problems in last 5 years. And now with POE 2 they literally started to address everything I was saying was problem, because it was clear to see if you care about systems. Shitty melee combat check, shitty crafting bench check, too much loot check, to much zoom zoom check. As if they read my posts and go "uhh huh, yep listen to him". Obviously they didn't read my posts. Those problems are self evident same way 2 + 2 = 4.

Same with Grim Dawn. IT is both amazing and shit game at the same time. Its systems are interesting coupled with interesting world and theme but on other hand it looks like amateur mmo game and feels like that to play as "A" in ARPG is its weakest link. But for its lowest of lows it has highest highs people seek and find fun.

Who knows maybe if I play LE more I will change my mind about it but for now I don't see it. The absolute worst part of LE is that there isn't even a single amazing thing about it. Which is imho the biggest problem. On other hand stinker like campaign detracts from it. My issues with skills weren't even that big as other issues were far greater lie campaign.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You are retarded because "grinding for runes for hours" is not a thing in the game. At all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom