Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You're going to want a combo of Strength/Toughness/Dexterity for fighters and Toughness/Knowledge/Willpower for casters. There's no repeat hotkey outside of combat as far as I know. The game's difficulty will spike around 1/3 through when you have to cross the southern desert, but overall it's not too challenging.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.silverlemurgames.com/2023/11/17/legends-of-amberland-version-1-28/

Legends of Amberland version 1.28​

Version 1.28 released

Primarily a maintenance version aimed at updating various libraries and fixing some very rare bugs. But there are some small improvements as well. Gamepad support is no longer an experimental feature and virtual keyboard (to enter text without keyboard) was improved. Some stuff was backported from the upcoming sequel, since a lot of the code is shared (for example double clicking on load/save opens or saves the file). Also usual fixes, this time for some very rare and obscure bugs you probably never encountered anyway.

– [misc] Gamepad is no longer an experimental feature (enabled by default).
– [misc] Updated third party libraries to the newest version, just to keep those updated, unlikely you would notice any change.
– [misc] Technical update (newest engine version).
– [misc] Removed Turbo mode from Video options.
– [misc] Failure to connect with platform API (like Steam/GOG) will no longer result in a warning.

– [interface] Backported some functionality from the upcoming Legends of Amberland II, Load/Save works by double clicking on the savefile from the list.
– [interface] Gamepad: Virtual Keyboard improvements.

– [fix] Various very big screen resolutions glitches (input text area too big, incorrectly clipped help text).
– [fix] Removed dev only F10 hotkey which, when pressed, messed with display.
– [fix] Potential bug when one party member was not receiving damage from poison.
– [fix] Very, very rare bug of “missing item” chest notice.
LoA_screenshot_v1.28.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.silverlemurgames.com/2023/12/04/legends-of-amberland-version-1-28-1/

Legends of Amberland version 1.28.1​

Version 1.28.1 released

A small update targeted at improving gamepad support.

– [interface] Gamepad support: Improved Virtual Keyboard (physical keyboard can be used identical to a physical keyboard when detected, more characters supported).
– [interface] Enable/Disable Gamepad option (Options/Controls/Gamepad), useful for people who have a gamepad plugged in but who do not intend to use it. The option is ignored if SteamDeck is detected.

By the way, the sequel, Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees is out tomorrow!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.silverlemurgames.com/2024/02/02/legends-of-amberland-version-1-29/

Legends of Amberland version 1.29​

Version 1.29 released

This version backports from Legends of Amberland II several fixes to various, usually small ones, bugs, as those were discovered in the sequel. Note that some of those bugs might not apply to the first Amberland, still, patched those, just to be sure.

– [misc] Development markers (small triangle) not shown unless those indicate an error (to avoid confusion).
– [misc] Other smaller improvements.

– [fix] Language tooltip can be shown when “How to Play” menu from the main menu screen is called.
– [fix] Mute on focus lost audio settings not saved.
– [fix] Quests scroller incorrect position sometimes.
– [fix] Language selector flickering on main menu.
– [fix] Clicking on close button made select a monster in some circumstances.
– [fix] Incorrect mapped keys when using spells if party character changed position.
– [fix] Quick load NPC dialog not closed.
– [fix] And some other smaller ones.

LoA_screenshot_v1.29.0.png

https://www.silverlemurgames.com/2024/02/02/legends-of-amberland-version-1-29/?share=twitter&nb=1

Covenant

Savant
Bought this on sale and finished it in the past couple of days. It does a good job as an homage to Might and Magic, but I have to say I was a little disappointed that I rarely felt like I was making any kind of tough gameplay decision, whether that be in terms of gear selection, combat tactics, or where I went next. When I was trying to kill the black dragon (on Hard), rather than poring over all my gear and trying to maximise the resistances I was covering, it felt like it'd just be quicker to keep trying it and reloading, and that approach worked pretty quickly.

Don't regret my purchase but at the same time I'm not likely to get the sequel. I think any future games in this series would really benefit from a numbers guy taking a crack at the balance to make player decisions matter a lot more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom