Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
A secondary complaint is that spell casters seem very weak as even my most powerful spells were no more powerful than the frequent critical hits I was getting from my melee characters.
That's the last straw. I'm doing Wizards rebalance :D

Here is the Steam forum discussion about the rebalance:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/873890/discussions/0/3010053344555510786/

If you prefer you can also post on this topic, althrough I marginally more prefer it was done in the topic above.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you're doing a sequel, i'd rather have a mastery (Novice, Expert, Master and Grand Master) system like in Might & Magic VI but as a late patch before starting to work on your next game, a flat bonus will do.

It would also be interesting to add damage bonus (while reducing your level based bonus) depending on the mages max HP, the lower, the greater the bonus but it's probably a pain to handle.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Also, I wonder, shouldn't "special friendly huts" restore HP only? Just like fountains?

If you're doing a sequel, i'd rather have a mastery (Novice, Expert, Master and Grand Master) system like in Might & Magic VI but as a late patch before starting to work on your next game, a flat bonus will do.

It would also be interesting to add damage bonus (while reducing your level based bonus) depending on the mages max HP, the lower, the greater the bonus but it's probably a pain to handle.
I think, before I start a sequel I will make a topic to gather all those ideas :)
As for current LoA it's as you said, simplier and not ground breaking alterations (like flat bonus) are preferred.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Will the sequel feature graphics greater than or equal to Cyberpunk 2077?
The sequel will have graphics of greater artistic values, more unique and of a more distinctive style. It will be also paying a homage to its predecessor and respect the fanbase by not introducing changes in the art style that would cater to the mass market and ignoring the image that's already engraved in the hardcore fanbase hearts :) In short, much more superior in an artistic and a creative sense, no doubt :) And defnitely much more daring and edgy.

(read: it will be still pixelart, more or less similar to the one in LoA :D)

Codex Year of the Donut
Will the sequel feature graphics greater than or equal to Cyberpunk 2077?
The sequel will have graphics of greater artistic values, more unique and of a more distinctive style. It will be also paying a homage to its predecessor and respect the fanbase by not introducing changes in the art style that would cater to the mass market and ignoring the image that's already engraved in the hardcore fanbase hearts :) In short, much more superior in an artistic and a creative sense, no doubt :) And defnitely much more daring and edgy.

(read: it will be still pixelart, more or less similar to the one in LoA :D)
Will it feature cyborgs at least?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
No, definitely not. I believe in a consistent game world, I'm not going to repeat the "gundpowder mistake" they did in HoM&M (I'm aware some would disagree it being a mistake). Sure, I understand why some people like such mixed settings and everything and I even do not exclude I could make such game one day (althrough unlikely, but who knows). But for Legends of Amberland I made such a great effort to make it consistent (no zombies, no Roman mythology, no Greek mythology, no Viking mythology, not even medusa which was the most painful restriction for me) that now destroying the worldbuilding would simply make no sense at all.

Well, I suppose, we could agree that the captian selling the ship near Castle of Sand has an artificial wooden leg which could be considered an early attempt of cyborgization. I know that's not enough for you, but that's the most I could go for in this regard without violating the setting and the mood of the game.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
No, definitely not. I believe in a consistent game world, I'm not going to repeat the "gundpowder mistake" they did in HoM&M (I'm aware some would disagree it being a mistake). Sure, I understand why some people like such mixed settings and everything and I even do not exclude I could make such game one day (althrough unlikely, but who knows). But for Legends of Amberland I made such a great effort to make it consistent (no zombies, no Roman mythology, no Greek mythology, no Viking mythology, not even medusa which was the most painful restriction for me) that now destroying the worldbuilding would simply make no sense at all.

Well, I suppose, we could agree that the captian selling the ship near Castle of Sand has an artifical wooden leg which could be considered an early attempt of cyborgization. I know that's not enough for you, but that's the most I could go for in this regard without violating the setting and the mood of the game.
Will there at least be cats?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2020/10/28/legends-of-amberland-version-1-21-1/

Legends of Amberland version 1.21.1

Version 1.21.1 released

This is a boring version containing mostly fixes and… well, the missing 5th Master! The thing is I simply forgotten to put him in the game and since he was non critical to the storyline no one noticed until I implemented achievements which required finding all masters. Then I faced a decision if I should simply change the achievement or add the missing Master. The consensus among players I enquired was that they would rather see him added. So, here it it, the missing Master of Willpower! Note that he can be found using any old save and it does not interfere in your gameplay in progress in any way, you can also simply ignore him if you wish.

One more thing, some of you were complaining about Wizards balance. So, after a long deliberation I decided to tackle the issue since the concerns raised by you seemed reasonable. But it requires testing. There is a secret way (listed below) to enable this test rebalance if you wish (preferably if you hop on our Discord and share your opinion on the rebalance afterwards) but it’s not recommended for regular players. Most likely those changes will go live in the next version.

– [misc] Added missing Master of Willpower (the 5th Master). Fully compatible with your older saves, you can just find him now. Check forum for the exact location if you just want to complete the online achievement.
– [misc] Started Wizards rebalance, it will be an official feature in the next version. Now you can enable the experimental version of it by going to Options then clicking “Wizards rebalance 122”. Check “Wizards rebalance” topic for details.

– [interface] Tooltip CTRL support for selected magic and item (on all screens). Useful for people who play using keyboard alone.

– [fix] Keyboard remapping was sometimes crashing the game.
– [fix] Magic shop was incorrectly applying a gold cost to some items (the bug was introduced by a price difficulty fix in v1.15).

LoA_screenshot_v1.21.1.png

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
v1.21.1 is out with experimental wizards rebalance (activated via Options).

I think I will wait like 2 weeks to gather feedback on it and if everything is fine roll it as an official v1.22 rebalance. So, if you have any feedback on it, post it now.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
So far no comments regarding wizards rebalance, so most likely it will stay in the form I proposed.

BTW, the controller support (partial, some non gameplay stuff like Options will still require mouse /keyboard ) should be added quite soon.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2020/11/16/legends-of-amberland-version-1-22/

Legends of Amberland version 1.22

Version 1.22 released

Some of you were raising a concern regarding wizards usefulness compared to other classes. I was deliberating on it for quite a while and evaluated this as a valid concern. So, here it is a Wizards rebalance! Basically, all offensive spells for all classes were boosted in efficiency, but in a non linear way, since, according to your feedback, the early gameplay spells balance is fine and only the mid-late gameplay needed adjustments. In addition friendly houses were adjusted to be less powerful (but still useful). This version also contains fixes, small interface improvements and experimental gamepad support (as an optional, disabled by default, experimental feature). Of yes, one more thing, sound effects are handled slightly different now. Previously when all party members were hit by a fireball the sound was played 7 times (once per hit party member), which was grand, epic and loud… well, too loud maybe, especially when on headphones. Now when the party is hit by a fireball the sound is played only once, which should be much gentler on your eardrums.

– [feature] Experimental option to enable gamepad support. It’s crude and might be incomplete but should be usable. Go to Options to enable it.

– [balance] Offensive spells boosted. Depending on the spell level, early spells work the same, then got boosted by +10%, +25%, +50% and +100%. So, early spells are more or less the same while late spells get massive boost in damage output.
– [balance] Due to a popular concern that friendly houses are too powerful, those now function like fountains and restore only HPs.
– [balance] I was brooding for a while if that’s a bug or a feature and decided to change it. Now when you remove any MP granting item it immediately reduces your MP to the new maximum amount. So, now it works like in most RPGs which also should be more intuitive.

– [misc] Spells & effects vs all characters/enemies now trigger a single sound instead of multiple sound effects. This prevents “sound clutter” especially noticeable when using headphones.

– [interface] Party coordinate display is hidden when minihelp is active (looks nicer).
– [interface] Small beautification of Magic screen.

– [fix] Hotkey keybindings not saving after selecting Restore Default.
– [fix] Keybinding was still waiting for key input after closing the keybinding screen before finishing entering new keybinding.
– [fix] End game button (Game Over/Victory screen) can now be activated via keyboard (like rest of the GUI).
– [fix] Other small fixes.

LoA_screenshot_v1.22.png

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Looks so good with the upgraded pixels. Will Legends of Amberland II us the same graphics style?
Yes.

Also to explain it a but more. A rule of thumb regarding my game dev philosophy. When I make a game I aim to stick to certain rules/choices/mood, to make it all consistent. Same goes for sequels. If a game is good and I enjoyed making it to the extend when I go for a sequel I always try to keep the good parts (in terms of what the player thinks is fun) and I try to cater to the same audience. So, while I perfectly understand that another style might be equally good or better to some players I would still try to cater to tastes of the original audience of the first game. It means I might alter the style (like I did with 32px to 64px upscaling) but rather to the extend of "increasing the objective quality" rather than "changing everything". I might try to improve and evolve but only while building on the existing foundation.

Or to put it in simplier words, yes, LoA II will more or less look, feel & play the same way as its predecessor. Only possibly more and better :)

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm joing the bandwagon of the traditional of this time of year sale! Grab this marvelous masterpiece (it's totally the best RPG among all RPGs I ever made so it warrants the masterpiece part :)) now!

Renevent

Cipher
Looks really cool...def will pick up after I get bored with the game I'm currently play (Monster Train).

Chris Koźmik The Switch port is still stuck on release version (v1.1.0) it appears. Will that one ever see one of the countless updates that have apparently happened since then?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Chris Koźmik The Switch port is still stuck on release version (v1.1.0) it appears. Will that one ever see one of the countless updates that have apparently happened since then?
Those changes are already on Nintendo Switch (usually all changes are up to 2 weeks later due to Nintendo submission process). Note that versioning on Nintendo is a bit different than PC versioning.

At the moment of writing the Nintendo Switch version is an equivalent of PC v1.22.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Looking for testers. If you want to help, pop up on our Discord https://discord.gg/Xs6x7qj and shout (in general channel) "I want to be LoA tester". Especially, people with access to a gamepad are valuable.

Note the "LoA Tester" group will be used for LoA and LoA II tests once the project starts.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Chris Koźmik
I don't use a gamepad but i just played the latest version for a while and here's some feedback for what i think could be improved.
Or save it for Amberland 2...

UI & QoL improvements
  • Keys remapping : allow to overwrite when a key is used for something else, because there's a lot of shortcuts and it's nearly impossible to fully remap otherwise.
  • Shop: Comparison with equipped items, it's a minor issue in Amberland because of the simple (in a good way, meaning not MMO-ish) itemization and how fast is the UI but still, it would be nice.
  • Continue button on the main screen; load the latest save.
  • Special abilities: being able to use them outside of combat for the relevant ones (wiz, healer and bard)
  • Remove the options button (esc + options & shortcut is enough) and replace it by a special abilities menu to use them outside of combat for non combat ones.
  • UI: Cut the rest button in half and add a quest shortcut.
  • Combat UI: split the fight button in two for two quick actions you can set how you like.
  • Quick 1= last action by default or you can set it to a defined spell. Quick 2= Set a spell.

Balance/Combat:
  • I really liked the "friendly houses" the way they were, any chance to have an option to get the MP restoration too?
  • Inside dungeons, monsters don't seem to chase you at all, instead, they seem to move in a random direction or stay in a small defined area.
  • Some boosts for support spells, increasing the numbers a bit would be nice for higher difficulties and at least duration.
  • What about some bonus XP for smaller parties?

Bonus XP for smaller parties:

Could be something like +10% for 6 characters, +20% for 5, up to 60% for 6.
Or a bit more like +10%, +25%, +40%, +60%, +80%, +100%

Boost for support spells:
Bonus x1.25 at level 2, x1,5 at level 3 (or x1,5 and x2)
Duration = 2 days at level 4 and 3 days at level 5.

I'm playing on hard mode with only 5 party members and it's quite tough, didn't pick my last save but restarted with a similar party, except i might have played on insane last time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom