Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Let us RECLAIM THE HOLY LAND

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Darth Roxor, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    SURAH 15 - DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Lol there's a little ship sailing here on the overland map. I tried to follow it for a while to see where it's going, but then it vanished :M

[​IMG]

We order the Seljuks to give up all their heroes for our cause.

[​IMG]

... but we get no heroes.

[​IMG]

Had to reload and remove one regiment from the army. Apparently Al Malik Al-Aziz is too good to be placed in the reserves. Just as he's too good to have two hyphens in his Als.

So yeah, meet Al-Malik Al-Aziz Uthman, Saladin's second son and well-known troublemaker. Please don't mind that he's a 1:1 clone of Turan Shah, and also a near 1:1 clone of Asad (Asad has some different-coloured sashes and ribbons an shieet).

:hero:

He has a bunch of weirdo skills that we haven't seen yet, including

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leader of archers

[​IMG]

Seneschal

the choice is, I think, obvious

[​IMG]

:popamole:

[​IMG]

I also get the assassin drop pods that you asked for.

[​IMG]

This means we'll never get to see what these Abbasid Elite are about since we don't have the points to unlock them.

However, using taqiyya savescumming I checked them out at some prior point (just forgot to take pix), and it's a pretty mofo unit. It's basically abbasid lancers on horseback - a heavy cavalry unit that has IIRC lower damage than the circ horsemen and more or less comparable defensive stats, BUT they have spear wall, which means double damage against cavalry. A knight-killer unit more or less, a pretty interesting mix. Just a shame it takes so much geld and upgrade points to get them.

[​IMG]

But enough of that shit. We have Templars to crush.

[​IMG]

A straight story this map. We start here.

[​IMG]

The enemy start here, and their force is p. well-balanced.

Their only trash units are 2x light cavalry regiments, apart from that it's all templars, knights templar, white company, crusader archers, and even a regiment of english longbowmen. Not a whole lot of them though, but still, they shouldn't be underestimated, especially the knights.

[​IMG]

They cap the guard post, form up and go against us, cavalry leading the way.

[​IMG]

Let them come.

[​IMG]

I decide to give the assassin drop pods a spin. Turns out they have a huge casting cost - 3 faith points out of our current 5.

The upgrade tree description said these can't be spawned anywhere near the enemy, though when I click the icon, there's no obvious range indicator of any sort. Actually, there's no... nothing when I click it, so I have no idea wtf is going on and click some random space on the map.

[​IMG]

Oh, hello there :M

So much for that "can't be placed next to enemies" I guess :M

[​IMG]

This wasn't the best of ideas :lol:

[​IMG]

's killin' toime

[​IMG]

The crusaders get too close for comfort eventually, so I retreat the archers and move in our first line of defence.

[​IMG]

Gotta absorb all that charging cavalry.

[​IMG]

One of the lancer regiments got trampled to oblivion :negative:

[​IMG]

Retreating them from that clusterfuck isn't easy either, and I'm sure happy that they have all them ranged defence buffs or the archers would have knocked them out for sure as they run.

[​IMG]

Roll in the dominos

[​IMG]

I still have a light cav regiment unoccupied, so I send it after the archers. The templars behind them don't mind this at all :M

[​IMG]

:hero:

[​IMG]

Now to mop up the archers

[​IMG]

and take these dudes on a trip across the desert

[​IMG]

while the grenadiers turn them into bacon

[​IMG]

A glorious, well-matched battle :obviously:

[​IMG]

Pfff, no events.

[​IMG]

Reinforcement costs are acceptable, although we don't have to reinforce everyone here. We're gonna have to reorganise the army a lil' before the final mission.

[​IMG]

Grenadiers got a level-up. Not the most useless skill set to be sure, but bonus hp from resilience won't hurt.

Now for some upgrades

[​IMG]

Cairo lets us recruit Mameluks now, so I change our final lvl 4 seljuk swordsmen regiment into them, then swap them out for the level 2 mameluks that we have in our army.

[​IMG]

Interesting skill, but one that is good to have on heavy infantry. Spearmen are very no bueno against heavy inf.

[​IMG]

Afterwards I spend our last upgrade points on these

[​IMG]

The saracen horsemen are kind of pathetic and trashy, basically the seljuks of heavy cavalry. Buuuuuuuuuuut

[​IMG]

They are still better than the fucking worthless mameluk lancers :negative:

[​IMG]

Gud skillset at least. It seems to be a rule in this game that tier 0 trash units get access to good abilities to let them get up to speed compared to their superiors.

Picked resilience and expert riding.

[​IMG]

Then I splurge 6k geld on kaptins for all our turk bowmen.

[​IMG]

And another 4800 on weapon upgrades for a bunch of units.

[​IMG]

Which leaves only the final mission, our prize crown jewel - Jerusalem.

It's a siege, so you can expect much-much crashes, bugs and errors :M I'll be honestly disappointed if it's not as buggy as Baghdad :M Although Baghdad was a bigger map with more scripts and spawns and triggers, so perhaps this will work better after all.

Nevertheless... Stay tuned for the final update to this LP, where we finally reclaim the Holy Land for good!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Wow. The pods were both useless AND expensive.

^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Should've picked moar upgrade points instead of another boring hero.. :M

• :M :M x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    SURAH 16 - ALLAH AKBAR!

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

There is no time to waste. We march for Jerusalem, having first bought some assets (spread rumours + sabotage). The Lionheart shall feel the wrath of the faithful!

[​IMG] My walls are strong, my men are in good heart. Bring on your slings and arrows!

[​IMG]

Familiar surroundings.

We can only deploy trebuchets and fire ballistas - the ballistas suggest the heathens will be attempting sorties against us, but eh, fuck it, imma just deploy 8 trebuchets instead.

[​IMG]

Knowing it very well from experience that those siege maps like to have flanking cavalry spawns, I put some cavalry and lancers at the edges of the map.

[​IMG]

Battle start reveals a catapult behind the walls. I sabotage it immediately because our men are within its range.

[​IMG]

A lot of dudes spawn all over the city. Here we have a German group, with styrian infantry, longshields and crusader archers.

[​IMG]

Next we have pilgrims and 2x crusader knights.

[​IMG]

Here we have Richard's bastion, and it's certainly formidable. 2x English longbowmen, English spearmen, a guard tower, crusader elite, two regiments of chevaliers!

[​IMG]

Also Guy of Lusignan, a French hero on horseback that we never got to unlock in the crusader campaign.

[​IMG]

and Rick himself. Note that he has 24 men in his retinue, as opposed to the regular 12 heroes have.

Also, I wonder if we could bribe his unit had we taken that asset at the start... :M

[​IMG]

Next up are pilgrims and crusader archers here.

[​IMG]

And finally templars, foot knights and crusader archers over here. Plus another guard tower.

Looks like it's gonna be a big fight!

[​IMG] Gird your loins, sharpen your steel. You will soon be tested.

[​IMG]

The moment our trebuchets take down the first piece of the wall, I see movement on the minimap.

The cavalry from Richard's retinue is moving against us! Guy of Lusignan, crusader elite and all the friggin' chevaliers.

and then

the game crashes

:M :M :M :M :M

[​IMG] Victory! The lion roars once more!

What? Forget it, infidel! :argh:

[​IMG]

Upon restart I just arrange everyone in the same mob since the crusaders apparently won't be getting reinforcements from outside the walls.

Also I lowered all settings to the minimum to lower the odds of runtime errors. The map props sure look silly without shadows :M

[​IMG]

This time I just bust one gate and halt the trebuchets, to herd the cavalry into one chokepoint of death.

[​IMG]

Here they come.

[​IMG] My men are eager for battle and so am I! Prepare to fight!

[​IMG]

Fuck, I busted the wrong gate/set up my dudes in front of the wrong one :lol:

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like we'll manage to save that one trebuchet in time :lol:

[​IMG]

Nope, there it goes.

[​IMG] War is a dangerous game, my lord, as you are finding out.

[​IMG]

Thus the cavalry battle is joined.

[​IMG]

Shit, there are chevaliers running for the saracen horsemen. There's no way they are gonna survive that, sooooooooo

[​IMG]

DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKE IS A GO!

[​IMG]

The assassins faceshield very nicely, and soon we gain critical advantage.

[​IMG]

After which the western knights are no more.

[​IMG] Bravely done! You fight like a man!

Of course those 3 assassins aren't going to be very useful for anything anymore.

[​IMG]

So I send them against this here guard tower :M

[​IMG]

Aaaaand they fail :lol:

[​IMG]

Looking around the map where I could launch the second assassin drop pod, I decide to put them on top of this micro-mob.

[​IMG]

PEEKABOO

[​IMG]

Allah akbar, these idiots weren't even able to wipe the archers :lol:

But well, with just 2 left, they are as good as out. So the deep strike wasn't entirely useless.

[​IMG] The desert is a cruel place to fight. Are you sure you have the heart for it?

[​IMG]

I tell Saladin to finish the job at the guard tower.

[​IMG]

This unfortunately triggers the crusaders something vicious!

[​IMG] Fine, you can bring down a few buildings. How about a fair fight?

[​IMG]

WHAT CAN ONE DO AGAINST SUCH RECKLESS HATE?!

Also it's only now that I notice these knight regiments are actually 48 men strong, while the normal knight units are 21/21. Goddamn cheaters!

[​IMG]

Turns out it's the entire city that's after our asses now. Well, let them come.

[​IMG]

Our trebuchets can't wait for all that juicy, slow-ass heavy infantry :troll:

[​IMG]

But first we wipe the knights.

[​IMG]

The templars come under heavy fire.

[​IMG]

German units are the first to reach us, so obviously I focus on the styrians first. No javelins for you, assholes.

[​IMG]

Then our infantry engages the longshields and pilgrims while the cavalry starts doing elaborate manoeuvres.

[​IMG]

Motherfuckers put a lot of meatshields between us and the archers, which means I can't just go ahead and trample them.

[​IMG]

Until the infidels finally disperse.

[​IMG]

DON'T RUN! WE COME IN PEACE!

[​IMG]

Which means that all that is left is Richard himself.

[​IMG] Events have come to a pretty pass when a king must cower in his castle. But cower I must.

[​IMG]

We shall strike from multiple sides.

First our archers will dispose of the spearmen. Then the cavalry will charge in from the south and the east against the archers.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile the assassins will sneak in from the north.

[​IMG]

Open fire!

[​IMG]

The saracen horsemen are the first to make it to the scene... which makes all the enemy units switch targets to them :M :M :M

[​IMG]

So I dance the horsemen around a bit to make everyone else get there, otherwise they'd get slaughtered.

[​IMG]

Our klever stratagems let us split the crusaders and engage them on our terms. Meanwhile the spearmen turn tail and run.

[​IMG]

Saladin tears down the guard tower, meanwhile the rest massacre the bowmen.

[​IMG]

Soon it's just the Lion left on the field of honour.

[​IMG]

He puts up fierce resistance, but he's too vastly outnumbered to make a difference.

[​IMG]

After which the assassins chase down the retreating spearmen.

[​IMG]

And slaughter them to the last man.

[​IMG]

Victory!

[​IMG] So... I am bested and my poor bones must rest in these wretched sands!

All those looted items will be very useful now... :M

Now, I wonder if the outro is any different from the crusader campaign.

[​IMG]

NOPE

IN FACT IT'S THE EXACT SAME ONE

HEUHAUEHAUEHUAEHAHUEAHUEHAUEAHEU

And on this optimistic note, we shall hereby end our grand LP of conquest and suffering.

The Holy Land has been reclaimed. And then reclaimed again! Truly, we have accomplished some miraculous feats in the last months.

Thanks for reading.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
  6. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :cainapproves: for finishing lp.

^ Top  
  7. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    good

^ Top  
  8. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Righteous!

^ Top  
  9. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Baaah! I mean - gutt jerb
    It was so good you can now go west and ask for welfare with nothing but a rag on the head.

^ Top  
  10. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    RIP NeoCore Games

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nahel Arcane

Nahel
    Neocore never changes. Great ideas and potential ruined by awful bugs, balance and rushed execution.

^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    :necro:

How did I miss this LP? Quite fun, if hard to see what's going in these pics. Not very historically accurate of course, but the things mentioned by the author were isteresting. Always good to have more info about the Great Enemy

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    I don't think it's very useful at this point. After all, we'll be rid of them in about five months.

^ Top  
  14. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    How so? It doesn't look like this in the case of Europe, dunno where you're from.

^ Top  
  15. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    France. And yes, the 29th of March 2019, our ancestral enemy will be gone at last. Take that, Richard !

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. baud Magister Patron

baud
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's Brexit? It won't change anything, England just leave the EU, it won't remove the tunnel or the ferries. We might even get more English in France with all the libtard who are going to flee from there.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.