Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's actually win the Second Punic War in Rome & Carthage

ValeVelKal

Arcane

OT Paradox Interactive Forum

Alxeu : Raid Corsica & Sardinia
Andrzej I : Raid Corsica & Sardinia
The LoneGunman : Raid Corsica & Sardinia
IcheBins : Raid Corsica & Sardinia
Teep : Send army to Gaul
Lamahorse : Send army to Gaul
Barsoom : Raid Corsica & Sardinia
DarkShizNite : Liberate our former colony of Sardinia
Teep : Raid Corsica & Sardinia
hyme : Raid Corsica & Sardinia
BBBD316 : Raid Corsica & Sardinia

RPGCodex

Grimgravy : Reinforce Africa, recruit elephants or a boat.

Pretty clear cut decision from the Paradox forum : LET'S RECLAIM SARDINIA (and maybe Corsica)

ValeVelKal

Arcane
212 BC - CARTHAGE

The year is 212 BC, also known in Roman annals as the year of Consul Scipio and Marcellus. The Senates debates what to do. First, the motion "send armies to Gaul for reasons" seems to win, but suddenly a breeze goes through the Senate. A voice first, then several, then a roar from the whole room.

SARDINIA ! SARDINIA ! SARDINIA !

"Should we authorize the fleet currently in Spain to support a landing in Sardinia ?" then wonders the Senate

"Nah. Keep it in Spain. Also, give Hanno elephants. Great for siege I tell you" !

So Sardinia it is, but without the fleet. [I had only 3 command tokens allocated this turn, and I have 4 groups to move : Hannibal, Mago, Hanno-in-Carthage and the fleet. I decided I would not move the fleet]

Hannibal decides to accelerate the siege of Rhegium by assaulting the walls :

This should have been quick and cheap, but it got way more costly than expected, with 2 units of infantry dying in the assault. Ominous.

Hannibal then moves to siege Rome, hoping to force Scipio South and thus hoping to free Himilco.

Meanwhile, Mago occupied Rhegium with his small force. Finally, critically, Hanno left Carthage and landed on the West of Sardinia, after having crossed a sea that the Romans do not patrol. He immediately set himself upon sieging Carales.

212 BC - ROME

Back in his camp near Turin, Scipio received depressing news. Hannibal was in front of the walls of Rome - again. The Senate was panicking - again. He had to move back to the South - again.

Hannibal's spies informed him that Scipio was seen entering the city of Genua.

Hannibal smirked. Everything was going according to plan.

A few days later, Hannibal's spies informed him that Scipio's army embarked for an unknown destination - to them.

Hannibal smirked. Everything was going according to plan

Then, Hannibal's spies informed him that Scipio was seen in Rome.

Hannibal sm... wait. This was not planned - what was Scipio planning ?

And then, Scipio sortied from Rome :

This was NOT according to plan at all. What Hannibal had expected was Scipio taking the field, of course forcing Hannibal to stop the siege, but also locking Scipio and possibly allowing Hannibal to use his devastating cavalry tactics. But in a sally, not such was possible.

The Roman army was ready for battle. This time, they were well-led and seriously outnumbered the Punic army.

Hannibal knew what he had to do :

[Hannibal and the late Fabius the Delayer are the only generals who can retreat before any round of battles - except if inside a city during a siege. All other generals must wait two rounds. That's one of the reason I was happy to kill Fabius so early].

The Great Hannibal had fled the battle. Lacking any cavalry, the Romans could not pursue - not that they would have tried given the skill of the Numids in covering retreats - but this was still a victory

The enthusiasm of victory allowed the Roman to drive a new recruiting movement :

In addition, and critically this was the signal that saboteurs in Spain were waiting for. A significant chunk of the Punic fleet was set ablaze !

[Lacking any "non-militia" units in Spain, I am forced to destroy the fleet that I carelessly left in port the previous turn when I could and should have moved it to Carthage. I am now down to 5 ships]

The Romans recruited more troops and elected more leaders

This would be another year of Scipio and Marcellus, Marcellus being elected for the 3rd consecutive year. Servilius had been defeated decisively by Hannibal in 216BC - the year of Fulvius and Servilius.

Valerius - the unlikely survivor of a battle near Rome in 213 BC- was now a gritted commander, and had been allocated Sicily.

The only newcomer - and not current or former Consul - was Nero :

Another news would arrive to Hannibal - some excellent news. The Old Man of Syracuse had croaked, and Syracuse had decided to join the winning side.

Strategos Apollonidès had also been ousted, and replaced by Hippocratès

Here is the situation at the opening of 211 BC (the second year of Scipio and Marcellus)7

[the circle around Syphax should be greyish, he is a lukewarm ally to Carthage and won't leave Africa]

[units without letters on the left of Hannibal and Mago's armies are garrison. Similarly, the 6 units to the left of Hippocrates are also garrison].

[units in red are also garrisons, same with the Urban Legions with an U]

Senate of Carthage, the Suffet implores you ! What should we do ?

It is time for YOU to decide of the course of the war !

It is also to YOU that we ask to provide which troops should be recruited in Carthage next year !

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Sicily (we can go there without pissing off Syracuse, correct?) Italy
Infantry / boats - need to replace some of the guys we lost last season.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Reinforce Italy, recruit infantry. I assume having Himilco retake cisalpine gaul back will draw some heat off hannibal but it would still be nice to have him in a stronger position.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Some info :

The Romans missed an opportunity to finish with Hannibal in the previous turn by sieging Hannibal in Capua and having another army in the field against reinforcements. That's what put me in panic when I saw them attacking from Rome rather than from the field.

"Sicily" does not give special recruitment opportunities.

Hannibal will have to fight Scipio and it could go pretty wrong if the RNG is not in my favour, on the other hand I prefer to fight Scipio when he has 9 units then when he has 16 which will be the case next Roman season. Also, since I have more cavalry, I can play "Cavalry Manoeuver". It should do the trick. Nevertheless, I will probably play him last, as I can possibly kill some other Roman commanders this turn, thus giving me cards allowing me to favour the odds even more. (Nero seems a dead body walking and talking at this point).

Hiero does not need me to conquer the rest of Sicily, though he definitely needs me to clear up the Ionian Sea. Without the Ionian Sea, the Romans will not be able to ship troops in one turn between the Eastern part of Italy and the western part. In addition, should I be able to take Venusia, I would block all the passage East-West in the South.

I can't send reinforcements from Carthage without leaders in Carthage, but I can instruct a leader to come back by boat at any time (typically Hanno-in-Gaul)

oscar

Arcane
Reinforce Italy
Elephants since it looks like we have some hard field fighting to do before we can besiege Rome seriously

ValeVelKal

Arcane
OT Paradox Interactive :

Andrzej I : Support in Corsica and Sardinia, rebuild the navy

Lamahorse : To Sicily !

Alxeu : To Sicily !

TheLoneGunMan : To Sicily !

DarkShizNit : Reinforce Africa.

RPGCodex :

Oscar : Reinforce Italy, recruit elephants

Modron : Reinforce Italy, buy infantry

GrimGravy : Reinforce Italy, buy ships/infantry

We got a tie here. I put my own tie-breaking vote to Sicily to clean-up the Ionian, but I would have preferred DarkShizNite proposal to reinforce Africa to get more troops.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
211 BC - Carthage

The year is 211 BC. The Senate debates passionately about whether to support the offensive in Sardinia, or support their new allies in Sicily. As happened every time the Senate was torn, the savvy land-owners in Spain passed their motion, and thus :

Nevertheless, there were two sweeteners :
- Almost all commanders had authorisation to act [6 command points !]
-
Recruitment of a replacement fleet was hastened in Carthage :

[two recruitments instead of one can happen - rarely. It seems to happen more frequently when defending Spain but not sure]

In Cisalpine Gaul, Himilco moved first. There was a Roman Praetor in Placentia, and the Punic General had an axe to grind :

Nero knew he had not a chance to survive, but he could hope to make Himilco pay dearly for his life :

This would not happen though, and only some Gallic soldiers died in the assault :

[I consider myself lucky. I expected to lose 3 units ; I consider a card to be worth on average 2 units and well I had to assault a city anyway to recruit. What happened was that the Roman inflicted a lot of routs, but only one hit. I finished the battle with only 3 units on the front line, vs 1 militia. On the other hand, I got a card that is not very useful in my situation : "Hannibal on the Move" allowing Hannibal to move twice or bypass mountain attrition]

Himilco pondered whether to move South to support Hannibal, or recruit what Gauls he could [I have a card to recruit 2 extra gallic units]. Ultimately he remained in Gaul and sieged Genua.

Meanwhile, Hanno in Sardinia was in a bit of a bind. He was one season from completing his siege, but there was now a Praetor with a limited force in Sardinia - Hanno's force itself being anything but strong.
If he carried on sieging Carales, he was at risk of being by a legion in the back with two legions attempting a sally out - better to lift the first siege, and start sieging the Consul himself - a sortie would be less impressive with only one legion and some militia.
[thinking about it, it was not really a smart move, as Valerius could have left Olbia by ship, landed in Carales, take the legions there and attack me with 3 legions instead of one but for some reason I forget about this. Luckily as we will see, nothing like this happened]

In Sicily, Hippocratès took upon himself to liberate Sicily from the Romans. With his small forces, he assaulted Lilybaeum first. The proud fortress of the first Punic war was true to its reputations, and way more soldiers than the Syracusans expected died in the assault. Hippocrates had no enough forces left to assault Messana, so he wisely contended himself with a siege.

The Syracusans also decided it was time to reclaim the Ionian Sea. The whole of the Syracusan fleet faced the local Roman fleet:

But things went very bad very fast for the last free city of Sicily.

Unused to fighting after decades of peace, the Greek fleet was routed, only a few ships made it to the Lakkios. The Roman fleet was exactly as strong as before the battle.

Meanwhile, the Punic fleet had left the unsafe harbors of Spain and was within view of Carthage, where it was reinforced by the newly built ship.

[so that's my 5 command points : Himilco, Hanno-in-Sardinia, Hippocratès, the Syracusan fleet and the Carthaginian fleet. Of course, the last action will be for Hannibal ; I wish I could have moved Hanno-in-Gaul back to Spain].

Finally, Hannibal.

Hannibal would not stay in Capua, but Scipio was waiting for him outside. Hannibal was confident he would win this battle - he still had tricks up his sleeves - but he was also expecting heavy losses [8 legions are going to inflict around 3-4 hits / round, with high standard deviation - Hannibal force is 14 hits strong]

There was only one place leading out of Capua. There, Scipio was waiting :

Hannibal had been expected this. He knew the Romans would fight until the end, but he also knew that, unreinforced yet, they had to be defeated know with the tools Hannibal had : elephants breaking a line, cavalry infiltrating the line, breaking the cohesiveness of the different legions between them.

[with 21 attacks, including 5 "increased chance to hit" ones and the better general, I can expect around 6-7 hits/routs by turn, ideally as much routs as possible since legions can tank 2 hits each. Obviously also with high standard deviation too]

Scipio had his own surprises. Through methods that were not passed to history, Hannibal's elephants were rendered harmless to the Romans

[ I am down to 19 attacks including 3 "increased chance to hit" so 5 - 6 hits/routs by turn

The battle would truly begin :

Both armies clashed. One of the Roman legion broke under the shock, but the Punics were otherwise met with a wall of shield. Almost half of Hannibal's line faltered and run, as it looked like the Romans were not here to retreat this time. Hannibal could not help but notice the Italics and the Gallics had been the one retreating ; the Africans and the Spaniards had held. They were better men.

[the Romans delivered as expected, more or less, my units severely underperformed]

Scipio was no junior commander, and he quickly rallied the weak legion :

Hannibal on his side was busy rallying the Italic cavalry [as the leader with the higher skill is allowed to do, though doing so he sacrifices part of his leadership bonus for the turn]. The situation looked dire ; Hannibal had to use everything he had to plug the holes in the lines, including Spanish infantry more fit for assaulting cities.

[with 18 attacks including 4 elite ones and a smaller commander bonus, I can still expect 5 or 6 hits or routs by turn]

The second phase of the battle started … :

… and it would turn out to be the last phase. The cavalry found the hole in the Roman line - probably where a legion had faltered a few hours before. Punic cavalry poured in and passed on the other side of the Roman army. In this instant, the Romans remembered they were fighting Hannibal. In this instant, they remembered what happened to Valerius legion in almost the same place - when only a few men managed to reach one. Had they held the line, they could have won, but they panicked. All of them.

Hannibal gave pursuit :

[with 9 elite hits and 6 normal hits, I can expect to deal 5 hits in the pursuit]

Hannibal was adamant that this time, Scipio should not escape. The general who killed his brother Hasdrupal had to die. The general in front of whom he had to flee in front of Rome had to die.

"Kill him, so I never hear again of this accursed man and his family"

A couple hours later alone, the head of Hannibal bodyguard came to the eldest of the Barcids. In his hands, he had the head of Scipio.

"This cavalry trick was neat. I should use it more" [I draw another Punic Trick card :) as a reward of this battle]

Sum-up of the Carthaginian turn :

And the options available to them :

It is time to recruit. The Carthaginian intensified their efforts in Cisalpine Gaul, but their efforts are ruined by desertion by the (superior) Italic infantry down in Rhegium.

In addition, the Punic leadership had not expected that years of war had totally depleted the Bruttium of recruits.

… on the other hand, as you can see [end-of-turn card drawing giving me a second Macedonian help card], the Macedonians were finally open to some serious alliance with Carthage.

211 BC Rome

Rome woke up from the beginning of year 211 with a serious hangover. One consul was dead in the field, Hannibal army almost intact. One praetor in Cisalpine Gaul also dead, with a Punic general about to reverse the gain of the two past years, and a last praetor besieged in Sardinia. And Sicily was in full rebellion.
And of course, Hannibal's army at the gates. AGAIN.

The only happy news was that apparently the Punic fleet had been caught in a storm and several ships [one unit] sunk

Meanwhile, Valerius assumed that with the death of Scipio he was the only general to have meet Hannibal in battle and survived, and thus his life was too precious to be lost stupidly in Sardinia. He evacuated to Tarentium

Recruitment was meek however, and mostly in Rome :

Rome elected new officials, with only one newcomer : Caecilius

Here is the situation as 210 BC opens :

The situation is very good with the "free" defeat of Scipio and the Macedonian opportunity, but I have to bring to your attention the presence of 14 legions in Rome :

Senate of Carthage, the Suffet confidently informs you that he is close to total victory, and inquires on what you would propose him to do ?

It is also to YOU that we ask to provide which troops should be recruited in Carthage next year !

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Upgrade defenses in Africa
Infantry/Boats
Could you use Hannibal and Mago to tie up roman forces in the south while Himilco takes Ariminuim to bring in the Greeks? Marcellus looks like a good target too.

oscar

Arcane
Reinforce Italy
Infantry/fleet
Himilco and Hanono to immediately drive on Ariminum
Mago to pin down Marcellus at Tarentum

ValeVelKal

Arcane
OT Paradox Forum :

Hyme : Reinforce Italy, get Macedonia in.
Lamahorse : get Macedonia in.
Avernite : Reinforce Africa, get Macedonia in
DarkShizNit : Reinforce Africa, get Macedonia in
TheLoneGunMan : Reinforce Africa
AndrezI : Reinforce Africa, get Macedonia in
Nostra : Reinforce Africa, get Macedonia in.
RPG Codex :

oscar : Reinforce Italy
Grimgravy : Reinforce Africa

Let's recruit in Africa then !

Also a global focus on recruiting infantry

ValeVelKal

Arcane
210 BC - Carthage

The year is 210 BC, and the Senate of Carthage, having received news from Hannibal, started serious debate.

"This young general. Very successful. We are going to win that war in Italy..."
"Yes we might."
"You've seen how he is the real master of Spain. Imagine if he was the real master of Italy."
"hmmm..."
"It might be a problem !"
"Yes it might."
"Let's order him to move to Gaul !"

Note that everything that could be recruited in Gaul has been recruited :

And in Carthage, there is only infantry and cavalry left :

Meanwhile, the Carthaginian sieges were going very fine :

Himilco had received strict order to open the most vulnerable Adriatic port for the Macedonian army ; the port being Ariminium. Yet, Genua was about to fall, so he felt he had to give it an extra push by a sudden assault. The city had not chance.

Since he was expecting Hanno to move to Italy once the Senate would give authorisation, Himilco decided to assault Turin - which happened without losses. This left only 2 cities in Northern Italy - Mediolanum and Patavium. Leaving them behind felt wrong, so Himilco also assaulted them with minimal losses.

This done, Himilco moved to Umbria, and seized Ariminium without much losses - he had 5 cities and lost only 2 units. This had gone well :

It was a small port, but it was enough :

A fleet and a significant Macedonian force, led by the King himself, arrived in Ariminium :

Hannibal also had given Himilco the secondary objective of taking Corfinium to ease Hannibal's passage. This seemed easy enough - just one other cities...

When Corfinium was FINALLY in Himilco's hands, Himilco had lost one third of this already smallish army (I received 3 hits over two rounds - no screenshoot though !).
"Well, this was unexpected".

Himilco would not move for the tertiary objective of Luceria, and moved to Ariminium - the rendez-vous city with Hannibal.

Hannibal left the neighbourhood of Rome (there was no way he was facing an army 16 legions strong) and merged his force with what was left of Himilco (5 units …).
[I would have started sieging immediately but the only way to merge two armies which have moved is to make them arrive in the same city, and I want a full force given what is coming for me...]

Finally, in Sardinia, Hanno moved from Olbia to Carales - the objective being to clear the full island of Roman presence - just like Sicily had been a few weeks before with the fall of the last Roman place.

Recruitment was sad :

The regions held by Carthage were totally depleted. The only regions with some capacity to recruit left were Carthage (always), Spain (with no one to recruit), Etruria (in Roman hands) and Campania (with no leader in Capua to recruit).

210 BC - Rome

While the Carthaginians regrouped in Umbria, Valerius tried to enlarge his already powerful army :

Once satisfied that he could afford his first line to totally collapse and STILL be in capacity to fight Hannibal, and then lose his second line and still be in capacity to fight, he took his massive army (8 roman legions ! 7 allied legions ! 8 units of cavalry ! 60 000 foot and some 12 000 horses in total - significantly more than twice what Scipio had) to Umbria, retaking Corfinium on the way. Here, he waited for Hannibal to show up.

Meanwhile, the Roman fleet was keen on blocking further Greeks from landing, and a Roman fleet entered the Adriatic :

The Greek had no desire to fight a stronger force, but hopefully the Romans were willing to fight a weaker force. Battle ensued :

and it did not turn well for the Macedonians :

The rest of the battle saw the Greek fleet trying to last long enough to be able to recruit to the only safe port they had. That defence was successful [you cannot flee before the end of the second round, the second round so a Roman ship sunk], but Romans now controlled the Adriatic.

In Sicily, Servilius had a surprise for Hanno :

This was not totally unexpected, and there was an opportunity to kill a Roman general here... until, that is, the Roman used one of their anti-elephant tricks :

Both sides watched each other, with only minor skirmishers engaging. As the night fell, the Carthaginians force retreated :

[there was 2 rounds without losses on either side]

That was all for the Romans. They did their usual recruiting drive and elected new leaders :

Rome had finally decided that Marcellus, on and off Consul since the beginning of the war (and more frequently "on" than "off" ), had not given full satisfaction. There were two new leaders, and one of them, the son of the late Scipio, had been fast-tracked Consul. What did the Roman expect from this young, unexperimented man ? Did they expect that the virtues of the father had sprang to his son on the former's dying gasp ?

Meanwhile, Philip was already regretting launching his army in this adventure : half his fleet had been sunk and the Greek food he grew accustomed to would not arrive anymore :

Here is the situation at the start of 209 BC :

There are only 2 armies worth mentioning

Senate of Carthage, the Suffet confidently informs you that he appreciates your opinion, and inquires on what you would propose him to do ?

- Reinforcing Italy would allow us to move Hanno (currently in Gaul) to Italy, and also move our fleet to the Tyrrhenean Sea.

- Reinforcing Spain would allow us to rather move Hanno in Gaul where he could recruit, and be easily shipped in the future where we would deem him useful.

- Sending force to Sicily would allow us to move our fleet to the Ionian Sea, cutting the sea routes between the West and the EAst of Italy, and in the future, allowing us to move to the Adriatic.

- Upgrading defences in Africa will allow us to recruit more troops than usual (3 rather than 1 max 2).

[Raiding Corsica and Sardinia has no added value compared to reinforcing Italy, army to Gaul is totally useless]

Beyond those general proposals, feel free to give any more detailed inputs !

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I got a question for you guys :

The Macedonians are pretty much OP versus real life (2/3 units when the roman legion is 1+/2 ? Come on). The elite Macedonian infantry is quite simply the best infantry in the game (2+/2).

- To compensate, I could play with the handicap that Philip does not "lend" his army to anyone and his army must be kept separate from any other stack (none of his units can be "lended", though they can be left behind for garrison or whatever)
- A lower, maybe more balanced handicap is that Philip does not lend his army to anyone, but can be included (him & his army) in another stack.

Any preference ?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I got a question for you guys :

The Macedonians are pretty much OP versus real life (2/3 units when the roman legion is 1+/2 ? Come on). The elite Macedonian infantry is quite simply the best infantry in the game (2+/2).

- To compensate, I could play with the handicap that Philip does not "lend" his army to anyone and his army must be kept separate from any other stack (none of his units can be "lended", though they can be left behind for garrison or whatever)
- A lower, maybe more balanced handicap is that Philip does not lend his army to anyone, but can be included (him & his army) in another stack.

Any preference ?

I'd vote for - A lower, maybe more balanced handicap is that Philip does not lend his army to anyone, but can be included (him & his army) in another stack.

Spain
Killing Valerius and taking Tarantum (assuming it would open the path for more Greeks) look like good ideas.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
OK I will take the hard stance :

Philip refuses to be led around and can only be in his own stack, though he is OK to take some Punic units with him. He will also refuse to go where there is no legitimate Macedonian interest.
As much as possible, Himilco (or another general) will also tag along for, you know, "advices".

OT Paradox
The LoneGunMan : Reinforce Africa
Andrez I : Rebuild the Navy :)
hyme : Reinforce Africa
Nostra : Reinforce Africa
Barsoom : Reinforce Africa

RPG Codex
GrimGravy : Liberate Tarentum

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
So I'm late to the party and all that, but I've been lurking and it's been great fun so far. Would vote for reinforcing Spain, not that it would change anything at this point, but still. Awesome LP all around, catering to sleazy Paracucks aside! Sad it doesn't allow for PBEM, seems to me that it would be perfect for manly man duels.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
209 BC - Carthage

The year is 209 BC - the tenth year of war - and Carthage wished for a death blow to the Romans (after considering an expedition to Spain).

As the war seems close to its end, many flock to the recruitment centers, and 2 units of infantry are recruited.

The Roman main fleet is taken in a storm, but Roman seamanship steer the ships away from danger :

Hannibal knew he had a decisive battle to fight, and sortied his army, ready to be intercepted by Valerius…

… but Valerius did not come.

This made Umbria free for the pillaging. Hannibal seized Luceria and Corfirium, losing the rest of his Gallic warrior in those assault, then waited near Valerius's camp, ready to pounce.

Meanwhile, Philip, duly accompanied by Himilco, started the siege of Ancona, hoping to open a second port to the Greeks.

In the North, Hanno finally received the authorisation from the Senate to move into Italy. He crossed the Alps into Cisalpine Gaul... and then furthered into Umbria :

The forced march without pillage disappointed many Gallic warrior who expected fast plunder. Hanno had moved fast as he was tasked with garrisoning the one port the Macedonian had on the Adriatic, lest the Romans - who still dominated the sea - would lend a force in Cisalpine Gaul and assault the undefended port.

Finally, in Sardinia, Hanno besieged Olbia again - this time the elephants would not panic. South of Sicily, the Punic fleet (reinforced by using one card) and the (now puny) Syracusan fleet merged. The Romans sea access between West and East were cut.

[I considered using the "recall" feature to send Mago to Carthage without spending a command point (of which I had none) but the Romans have a card to switch Rhegium allegiance WITH its garrison if it has less than 4 extra units, so no-deal ; I prefer to keep Mago in Rhegium]

As usual, recruitment in depleted Italy was meager :

209 BC - Rome

In his camp, Valerius received alarming news about reinforcements coming from Gaul, force-marching to Hannibal. Valerius also knew that he was called "coward" and "unworthy of his command" for refusing to battle against Hannibal. Finally, Valerius was informed by his spies that the Gallic soldiers accompanying Hannibal had left. The windows of opportunity in which he could - maybe - defeat Hannibal was closing. Reluctantly, Valerius moved toward Hannibal.

Hannibal was too happy to accept battle.

Unlike the previous brutal melee against Scipio, when everything had been gambled on a decisive cavalry action, Hannibal had prepared the battle. This time, he had strong infantry (previously Himilco's) to hold the line, and cavalry ready to turn the Romans and anniliate them.

The Romans had deployed in the most traditional fashion though as deep as a Theban Phalanx. Hannibal knew they would expect his cavalry, but he wanted to the Romans to expect them from their left - where he had put his decoy Gallic & Italic cavalry - when his effort would be from the Roman right :

The initial shock went as expected. The Romans braced themselves as they received the Gallic Cavalry shock, and destroyed it in melee. In the center, the Italic infantry could not do much against the Roman sword and was destroyed, while the Italic cavalry folded. A cry of victory started to be heard on the Roman left...

… but it died out on the Roman right, as Cavalry, including cavalry, was turning the Roman formation :

Valerius had expected such a turn of event, and had a second line of infantry, just as strong as the first one, in reserve. He wheeled his left toward the newcomers and brought the reserve the front. Critically, he kept his cavalry in a final reserve, critical to save the army in case of rout.
Hannibal had brought new infantry to the battle line.

Unfortunately for Valerius, Hannibal ordered his cavalry to funnel the panicked survivors of the first line into the second line. Romans who tried to flee fought Romans marching to battle - and there were too much confusion for the reserve to deploy. When the cavalry hit, there was no way to close the ranks.

The second line held, but the survivors of the first line were massacred.

Valerius could see the writing in the wall, and ordered retreat. Valerius had had the discipline to keep his cavalry in reserve, and in defeat it was paying off.

The exhausted Carthaginian cavalry were blocked by inferior - but fresh - Roman cavalry. Hannibal quickly called off the pursuit, with little damage to the Romans :

[one Roman cavalry got killed, and I drawed a Hannibal on the march card]

The battle had been a victory for Hannibal, but not decisive. Hannibal had lost 3 units (Spanish infantry, Italian infantry, gallic cavalry), and the Romans 6 legions (and 1 cavalry) - yet the Romans still had an army in the field.

In Sicily, Tuditanus also was preparing for the battle of his career :

In this battle, there were little tricks to play. Only Romans facing what the Punic did best : elephants and cavalry :

In the initial engagement, the Romans managed to ambush and slay the Numic cavalry, while the Punic elephants crushed what had been a militia :

[at this point, I carried on the battle as even if the ROmans manage to land their 2 hits I would still have the elephants]

The Romans, though they had defeated the cavalry, could not easily manoeuvre back to the gates of their city, and found themselves between the African infantry and the elephants. The sally was pushed back :

Hanno learned a lot from this battle [command rating upgraded to 8, and I drawed… another Punic trick or Hannibal !]

This was all from the Romans this year. The rest of the year was spent recruiting, and electing new leaders.

Tuditanus and Servilius had disappointed, and were not reelected. Crassus and Africanus got elected Consul. Africanus took the dangerous task of taking command of the largest Roman allied trapped in Asculum. So was, again, Marcellus, taking for him - like he did year after year - the dangerous dangerous task of recruiting an army in Tarentum.

As 208 BC opens, here is the situation and the armies in place :

Olbia will fall [automatically] at the beginning of the year.

Senate of Carthage, the Suffet confidently informs you that he appreciates your opinion, and inquires on what you would propose him to do ?

- Reinforcing Italy would allow us to move our fleet into the Adriatic (or the Tyrrhenian Sea), opening reinforcement for Macedonia.
- Reinforcing Spain would allow us to rather move Hanno from Sardinia to there to recruit.
- Upgrading defences in Africa will allow us to recruit more troops than usual (3 rather than 1 max 2).
- Raiding Corsica and Sardinia will allow us to send reinforcements to Hanno to take Corsica, which is a pretty pointless place to be honest (no recruitment possible, it is just a bit harder for the romans to retake) and allow us to move our fleet into the Tyrrhenian Sea

[Send Forces to Sicily and Army to Gaul are totally useless]

Beyond those general proposals, feel free to give any more detailed inputs !

Small note : I think I will show battle this way in the future. It is pretty dynamic with all those arrows and stuff :)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Spain would be my first choice, but Italy would be good too.
I'd still like to take Tarentum but bleeding the main Roman army looks like a good idea.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Spain would be my first choice, but Italy would be good too.
I'd still like to take Tarentum but bleeding the main Roman army looks like a good idea.
Hey, first thanks for your contribution all along the thread.

I can really move Hannibal to Tarentum, as the key problem here is Scipio not-yet-Africanus army :
- I cannot siege, because if I siege he will sally out and I can't play my "punic tricks" in siege/sally battles, and then his legions versus my cavalry won't turn well for the later.
- I can remain in the field, so I can intercept him if he tries to move somewhere else... but that means I cannot beeline to Rome with Hannibal's army.

Once Scipio's army is destroyed, I will be able to move wherever I want though. Also, I can move the Macedonians once they have finished with their siege.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
OT Paradox Interactive :

DarthShizNite : Reinforce Africa with a mix of infantry and navy, attack Tarentum
TheLoneGunman : Reinforce Africa. Ships !
BBBD316 : Reinforce Africa
Avernite : Reinforce Italy, open the Adriatic sea
Andrzej I : Reinforce Africa, open the Adriatic sea when possible.

RPGCodex :

Grimgravy : Reinforce Spain

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So I'm late to the party and all that, but I've been lurking and it's been great fun so far. Would vote for reinforcing Spain, not that it would change anything at this point, but still. Awesome LP all around, catering to sleazy Paracucks aside! Sad it doesn't allow for PBEM, seems to me that it would be perfect for manly man duels.
Thanks :). Not sure what the Tacticular Cancer faction of RPG Codex has against Paradox, but at least they engage in my AAR. I got 10 votes and debate there, vs Grimgravy's only here :)

ValeVelKal

Arcane
208 BC - Carthage

The year is 208 BC and Carthage decided to prepare a new army in Africa :

Sadly, they were not enough sailors available to man many ships [one recruited through a card as requested by the player Senate] but a significant number of soldiers and cavalry.

During winter, Caralès had surrendered, Sardinia was fully in Punic hands :

In Italy, Philip was eager to prove his worth rather than rotting in a siege, and gave assault to Ancona :

The assault was hill prepared, and there was much confusion initially :

Himilco had to take command of the remaining Macedonian forces, and the assault finally fell without significant losses [and no screenshoots]

The Macedonians then crossed in Apulia, and laid siege to Tarentum, currently garrison by Marcellus. This time, there was for Marcellus no safe place in Italy.

Mago moved out of Rhegium, and entered Apulia from the South, sieging the last port - Brundisium.

Finally, Hanno delivered his exhausted force to Hannibal, then sailed back to Carthage to take command of the fresh recruits :

The Carthaginian fleet also travelled back to add the new ships to their number.

I welcome my first recruits from Sardinia and Umbria both !

[…and I received a THIRD Hannibal on the March card]

208 BC - Rome

As they received disconcerting news of the massive reinforcement recruited in Carthage. They had to decisively...

… and so the Senate ordered its fleet to seek, and destroy, the Punic fleet.

And so it came to this :

The Carthaginian admiral was so surprised by the daring Roman move that by the time he could assess the situation, close to half the fleet was sunk or in rout.

By the time the Carthaginians came to their senses, they were outnumbered :

With half the fleet sank, the African fleet retreated into the port of Carthage.

Meanwhile, Rome does what they do best : recruit :

Crassus takes 4 legions, and move North against Genua. They had traitors in the place to help with the siege :

But a traitor was not enough, and the assault went awry. It took half the Roman army to take the position [Crassus got really, really unlucky in the assault]:

That's all Rome tried this year, as Scipio was still blocked by Hannibal's army. They recruited, and elected new leaders :

Crassus was reelected due to his outstanding performance of losing half his army taking a barely defended city. Africanus was reelected, probably because he was the only one accepting the charge. Marcellus, always the worm. Valerius was the only one with some experience of a battle against a field army.
As for Cethegius, the new Praetor, well, he had some good family connection ?

Here is the situation as 207 BC starts :

Senate of Carthage, the Suffet confidently informs you that he values your opinion and will be bringing many presents and slaves from Rome upon victory, and inquires on what you would propose him to do ?

The course of the war has been decided already, yet the Suffet believes it is polite to ask for your opinion.

Please note that :

- Hanno will arrive in Carthage at the end of 207 BC only, so there is no one to ferry units to Italy,
- You need to know we can transport by ship only as many units [leaders excluded] as we have ship units, so 4. And we cannot recruit anymore ships at this point.
- Whatever you decide, only Hanno-in-Sardinia can be moved around at this point so whatever the Senate claims about "reinforce this" or "reinforce that" it is at best only Hanno, his infantry and his elephants. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom