Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's bitch about STEAM! - The Thread!

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, im quite sure you are that stupid.
And therefore you are literally incapable to understand that someone else does not even talk about - what you think he is talking about.

Look moron... for a third time - the problem is sharing and giving data to third parties, which then can use it as they see fit. mkay? Is that simple enough for your ego driven idiotic brain to understand?
And changing that is a legal matter which facebook is obliged to make public, btw.
- not to mention that any changes to user privacy levels is something that facebook gets constant flak for and that facebook is free. Dosnt charge shit for using it.

furthermore... is it good if Valve and Steam become equal to fucking facebook in regard of user privacy?
And is it then good if its actually worse?

Also this is in facebook data policy that is available to anyone:

Were you not in your previous post discussing Steam locking you out of your content if you don't accept their EULA? Hence my previous post in response to it? Moron.

And how much sensitive data on their clients does Steam store?

Face it, more than likely the only thing Steam shares with third parties is hardware statistics and gameplay statistics (what you play, how much you play, how far you've played, etc).

LordDenton

Augur
It was all the rage to have circle-jerk arguments about how corrupt and evil Steam was and how it was destroying the gaming industry in 2008.

Ironically I was very vocal on the subject in 2008 because I still had dial-up in 2008.
So? It's not like anything has changed.

For one, the industry isn't in shambles. In fact, it seems healthier than ever
The industry was never in shambles. Only console retards and Steam faggots believed that.

If anything, today there is a much higher percentage of shit games being released on PCs than 2008. Unless, of course, you think that shit like Batman: Arkham xxxxx or Shitman Absolution are awesome games (and I wouldn't be surprised if you, as a Steam user, did think so).

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Batman was an okay game, if a bit tedious. Hitman Absolution was devil's excrement.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

aris

Arcane
The industry was never in shambles. Only ever single Codexer with a brain believes that.

Fixed.

:retarded: You're denying that the decline exists? Why are you even on this forum?
I'm denying it too. If anything, we have never been in better times for gaming.
Not when guing by mainstream AAA titles, not by a long shot. But then you like D3.
And why do you want to buy mainstream AAA-titles? If you're such a cool hipster, with vastly superior intellectual prowess and refined taste in game, why don't you just ignore the AAA-games and go for the vast pool of indie games that exists today?

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the indies are quirky shitty one trick ponies surviving on retards with hard ons for retro graphics and derivative midi music. Also the fact that I can ignore the games does not make them any lesser part of the decline, unless sticking your head in the sand actually does make the danger go away.

aris

Arcane
Most of the indies are quirky shitty one trick ponies surviving on retards with hard ons for retro graphics and derivative midi music. Also the fact that I can ignore the games does not make them any lesser part of the decline, unless sticking your head in the sand actually does make the danger go away.
First of all, can you name one main stream game that you think is good? My guess is that it comes from a time where the game industry was a fringe business, and thus isn't a mainstream game in the correct sense of the word at all. Secondly, sure many indie games are shitty, some are really good and truly creative, limbo comes to mind. I don't see how this is any different from the so called golden age of gaming. If you look back, pretty much the only games that are pretty much universally agreed upon to be good are Fallout and PS:T (and then there's Jaesun insisting that all gold box games are good). During the so called golden age of gaming which was, depending of when the person you ask was between 13-15 years, is between the 80s and late 90s; do you have any idea how many other games were released during that period that nobody remembers because they were shit? Quite a lot. I have no statistics, but I'm pretty sure that the ratio of good to bad games haven't changed that much since then. Hell even many recent AAA-games has gotten recognition by some codexers, such as X-com:enemy unknown, dishonored and deus ex: human revolution. And that's just recently.

evdk

Patron
Most of the recognition was of the "Yeah, it's pretty much worse than the originals in every way, but it's the best we can get now" kind. Not much of a win there.

The ratio of good to bad titles in the 80s and 90s was much better than it is today, the fact that you can only think of two notwithstanding. Tell me, where are today's Ultimas or Wizardries, the high quality series that helped create genres? What inovative, non remake game has come out recently?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Man, so much rage.
Anyone wanna Bloodbowl to blow some steam? Hit me up on Steamchat - Owait-

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Tell me, where are today's Ultimas or Wizardries, the high quality series that helped create genres? What inovative, non remake game has come out recently?

THIS IS STEAM'S FAULT.
FUCK STEAM.

evdk

Patron
Tell me, where are today's Ultimas or Wizardries, the high quality series that helped create genres? What inovative, non remake game has come out recently?

THIS IS STEAM'S FAULT.
FUCK STEAM.
I have never said that? Admittedly I just argued his pints and completely forgot which thread I was in, so it could give that impression, but it was not my intention.

aris

Arcane

THIS IS STEAM'S FAULT.
FUCK STEAM.
I have never said that? Admittedly I just argued his pints and completely forgot which thread I was in, so it could give that impression, but it was not my intention.
He got butthurt for something I said once, and thus ignores me. Thus the confusion. Anyways, as the for Ultima and wizardry, sure they spawned genres on the computer, but they were ultimately inspired from board games and P&P, they didn't appear out of vacuum. I really don't see why a game has to be revolutionary and genre-creating to be good though.

If anything, today there is a much higher percentage of shit games being released on PCs than 2008. Unless, of course, you think that shit like Batman: Arkham xxxxx or Shitman Absolution are awesome games (and I wouldn't be surprised if you, as a Steam user, did think so).

Hmm-hmm. Bad games didn't exist before Steam, got it. Anything else?

AgentBJ09

Educated
Can't wait to see the usual suspects defending the Steam console a few years after its launch and all the additional decline popamole it brought. Wouldn't be surprised if Steam becomes nothing but a backwater for poorly ported multiplatform releases of Steambox with its own Steambox exclusives like all other consoles.

:avatard:

Since Dead Space 3's PC version is just the console version ported over, I wouldn't be surprised. Having a console means you have a set series of parts, so unless somewhere down the line, you have the option to switch out the motherboard to allow for more expansion in RAM and such, without tossing many of your current parts, the Steambox already has some limiting features.

Actually, now that you mention it, when the Steambox does come out, you could put Steam on the same level as XBOX Live, PSN, and such. Makes me wonder if the box will even run half your games if it can't connect to the net.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Most of the recognition was of the "Yeah, it's pretty much worse than the originals in every way, but it's the best we can get now" kind. Not much of a win there.

The ratio of good to bad titles in the 80s and 90s was much better than it is today, the fact that you can only think of two notwithstanding. Tell me, where are today's Ultimas or Wizardries, the high quality series that helped create genres? What inovative, non remake game has come out recently?

Personally I think the indie/Kickstarter scene is more interesting now than the AAA scene. 2013 looks like it can be the best year since 2006 or thereabouts.
The last AAA game I bought was Dragon Age from 2007, and that one I haven't even played yet. The newest games I've actually played are Oblivon, Dark Messiah and HoMM 5, all from 2006.
The only AAA titles I know I would have bought the past five years if they were not tied to Steam are Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR and Dishonoured. AAA games generally tries too hard to be movies IMO.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I can't wait to see all that kickstarter craze fall apart with series of scandals of gathered money and cut development + unbelieveable shit level of games that actually came out :bounce:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Since Dead Space 3's PC version is just the console version ported over, I wouldn't be surprised. Having a console means you have a set series of parts, so unless somewhere down the line, you have the option to switch out the motherboard to allow for more expansion in RAM and such, without tossing your current parts, the Steambox already has some limiting features.

Actually, now that you mention it, when the Steambox does come out, you could put Steam on the same level as XBOX Live, PSN, and such. Makes me wonder if the box will even run half your games if it can't connect to the net.

Don't be a moron.

The Steambox is basically a PC. In the living room. Using Linux by default, but being able to run anything you want on it, even Windows. All they're doing is simplifying PCs for those who are too retarded to figure out and build their own PCs. The box is using a modular motherboard to ensure the hardware can be easily swapped out and upgraded without changing up the entire motherboard every time. It's designed to be upgradable for anything between 5-10 years, which is more or less the lifespan of any average gaming PC.

Seriously, there are a lot of reasons the Steambox is a bad idea, but you don't even seem to know what the hell it is in the first place.

evdk

Patron
I can't wait to see all that kickstarter craze fall apart with series of scandals of gathered money and cut development + unbelieveable shit level of games that actually came out :bounce:
I'm pretty sure all of the high profile games will come out in some form. I can't comment on the quality, but during last year I have surprised myself by not being completely jaded yet - a slight glimmer of hope yet remains in me.

If it all fails the shitstorm will be glorious.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
The thought of it alone gives me a hard-on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom