Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Let's help BioWare

Snufkin

Augur
Romance with prismatic dragon would be perfect. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

lycanwarrior

Scholar
There's no help for a studio that has built its entire legacy on its writers.

And then pissed them off. One by one by one.

That's like Mc Donald's getting rid of Big Mac and Burgers. Prime Barcelona alienating Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Taylor Swift's management cancelling Taylor Swift. Disney shipping Mickey Mouse to Jeff Bezos. Nintendo selling Mario and Link on ebay to the highest bidder. Todd Howard firing Todd Howard. Or Metallica finally replacing Lars Ulr.... ok, joking. ;)
Hardly any of the original people are there any more. They either left or were laid off.

The old-school Bioware of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 infamy is pretty much a memory and a footnote in history I'm afraid...

gooseman

Educated
TBH, it just sounds like you don't like 2nd edition AD&D. That's your choice/preference, but it's going to be hard to enjoy the game, especially the early game, if so.
Yeah, I think I do. But maybe it's right. Maybe the ruleset is bad. Or its adaptation. Why are grease and sleep the only viable early game spells? It obviously wasn't made to be copypasted into video games with some of it getting lost in translation. Not to mention the absence of a DM who could make up for its shortcomings.
I can't recall any dnd-based rpgs I liked. I want to know what people think, are dnd (and ttrpg in general) rules bad for use in video games? Poorly adapted?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I want to know what people think, are dnd (and ttrpg in general) rules bad for use in video games? Poorly adapted?
Specifically AD&D, which BG bases its rules on, is not really great for playing a very low level Wizard. A lot of the early direct damage spells are rubbish, leaving you with the wondrously magical option of using a sling. It gets better quickly though.

gooseman

Educated
Specifically AD&D, which BG bases its rules on, is not really great for playing a very low level Wizard. A lot of the early direct damage spells are rubbish, leaving you with the wondrously magical option of using a sling. It gets better quickly though.
Yeah, I've seen people say this. And that low level dnd in general (especially older editions) sucks. Another problem with BG1 is the lack of full party creation. Low level casters in Might and Magic also kind of suck (not nearly as much), made up for by the rest of the party. NWN felt the same way. Not as weak, but you also start at lvl1 and with no party. And the campaign was boring. I just can't get into these dnd games. Maybe IWD fares better (curiously not made by bioware...)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I want to know what people think, are dnd (and ttrpg in general) rules bad for use in video games? Poorly adapted?
A 1st magic-user in Dungeons & Dragons selects either sleep, which can change the course of a battle, or charm person, which properly applied can change the course of an entire adventure. Direct damage is far from the only use of magic spells. :M

gooseman

Educated
A 1st magic-user in Dungeons & Dragons selects either sleep, which can change the course of a battle, or charm person, which properly applied can change the course of an entire adventure. Direct damage is far from the only use of magic spells. :M
Charm person seems useless in bg1. How can it change the course of an entirely linear adventure? So, as the most versatile class you have 0 options. Masterful design.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Charm Person makes NPCs give you more/different information. You can charm the spider lady and she'll tell you her life story f.e.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With charm person you could avoid some fights too (i.e. upper floor of tavern in Beregost), but I agree it could be more useful.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Call me back when the charm persion spell does not have a saving throw. Until then, a low level Wizard isn't a very fun class to play. It does get better quickly, however.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Pfff, you cast charms on brutes, hello. Humanoids that look unlikely to resist it, works in 8/10 cases, it's common sense

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Charm person seems useless in bg1. How can it change the course of an entirely linear adventure? So, as the most versatile class you have 0 options. Masterful design.
You're describing Baldur's Gate, not Dungeons & Dragons. Admittedly, it's impossible to properly replicate the effects of charm person in a computer game, so this is one flaw that can't be blamed on Bioware. The most that could be done in a CRPG is to turn an enemy into a party member, or to have an NPC yield information or permit player actions that otherwise would be hindered, or simply to avoid a fight.

Call me back when the charm person spell does not have a saving throw. Until then, a low level Wizard isn't a very fun class to play. It does get better quickly, however.
Sleep offers no saving throw to its victims; the only randomness lies in the number of hit dice affected. Charm person is a risk, since the subject of the spell can avoid it via a saving throw, but has the potential to be even more impactful.

damager

Liturgist
Lots of political songs at campfire.
All companions participate in orgies across the game.
No natural hair colors. No long hair for women.
All side quests are about romance.
Main quest is about suffering of gays, blacks, women. Also eco agenda.
You cannot be aggressive or disrespectful to female characters in dialogue if you're a male.
More pronounce.
Designing your genitals in character creation should be mandatory.
Designing your vitiligo in character creation.
Pedophilia but only mixed with necro.
Most characters are vegans or eat magic grown meat.
LGBTQ armors.
More pink, purple and teal coloring in art style.
All female dwarves have beards, male ones do not.
Findom.
Most characters in game should have vitiligo.
Main villain should be in wheelchair, bonus points for vitiligo. Combo if he has downs.
Or main villain is a tranny\drag queen with vitiligo. And not really evil but misunderstood.
Drag minigame.
Shit eating minigame.
Femdom minigame.
Ageplay.
Dog romance for female characters.
Qunari woman voiced by a black dude with scarriest ghetto voice ever.
Gay vampires are too mainstream, how about tranny vampire companion? With vitiligo of course. And posibly in a wheelchair.
Dog tranny vampire companion with vitiligo.
All women have square jaws.
All men are bulllied photomodels that stare at the ground when the girlboss arrives.
Cancel person spell. Inspired by Dustborn.
Shapeshift spell that cannot transform you into deer, but lets you pretend to be one with npc reactions.
Post of the year award :brodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom