Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Silentstorm

Learned
I love how one of the selling points is that they have Rollback, glad that japanese devs are finally doing that, just wish everyone would copy the Power Rangers game and add Crossplay, God, seemingly dead games would benefit so much from crossplay it's not even funny, guess it's the other really obvious idea it will take years for japanese devs to do for future games.

I say future because it seems it's really damn hard to add it to already existing games that weren't coded with that in mind, hence SNK saying crossplay for Samurai Shodown is impossible, same with Bandai-Namco and Soul Calibur 6.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I get where you guys are coming from, but Armageddon was the best of the 3D era just for the extremely poorly balanced character creator.

Yeah you can pull off some ridiculous shit lol. Smoke uppercuts you once and puts you into an infinite, Sheeva's Shokan Daggers are insanely fast, Sareena's machine-gun knife throwing, Kintaro's ability to juggle you on the ground, its all pretty good for non competitive stuff.

Silentstorm

Learned
Wow, decided to look into KOF XV's release and it will come out with a Season Pass worth 30 bucks, already planned DLC characters, and people who pre-order get an exclusive skin to make Terry look like his Garou self...which is a pretty good skin, the best version also gives a new skin for Leona and Season Pass included.

And you betcha the base version is 60 dollars, sometimes it feels like fighting games just love being extra assholes with DLC, it can get bad enough you can spend almost the price of an entire game if not more on DLC just to get every character...the DLC season pass is literally half the price of the base version and i think it only gives 6 new characters, when the full version has 39 characters, man, i sure hope those 6 characters are good enough to beat 33 more characters with stages, more music and more included.

And that is if there is no Season Pass 2 or 3 as well.

Silentstorm

Learned
I guess the idea is that fighting games are niche and niche gamers are willing to pay more money...but it just seems like a way of making sure some stick with older games, people that could have gotten in are put off by the price and the genre doesn't stop being niche.

It also didn't help that for a while, the biggest games aside from Mortal Kombat were all from Japan who refused to listen to the rest of the world and just have bad netcode globally because it was fine in Japan and why the hell would you try to please fans around the world and expand your business when you can stay focused on one region?

Only recently have they felt pressured enough to start putting rollback netcode, i bet Coronavirus and Evo having one digital only year that ignored many big games didn't help either as it led to an increase in complaints, and that should have happened sooner, i mean, they really cared so little that games like Soul Calibur 6 and Tekken 7 have had Bandai Namco admit it's been programmed in such a way they can't just simply add rollback.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm fine with multiple DLC seasons for fighting games as long as the fighting game itself is rock solid and fun to play. If KOF XV looks as fun as it does and plays like KOF should, they could support this game for the next decade for all I care. It's when you get shit like SFV where it feels like the support for it is never going to end and you're left with this bland as fuck game that feels like a step down from the two mainline entries before it that you just wish it would end.

What I do hate though is them withholding obvious fan favorites for later DLC grabs. Take KOF XV for example, the two new characters they've shown look goofy and ugly. In fact, most of the new characters in KOF XIV were mega duds to me. This is just my view, but there comes a time where after having a fighting game with 25 years of history to it you should just stop making new characters. They'll almost always create long-term resentment because for them to arrive you have to cut someone with a legacy out to make room.

I don't want to play some retarded looking raver chick with a gas mask she lets dangle around her neck and I don't want to look at that visual nightmare of the neon nigress who looks all kinds of overdesigned. I want to see Mature, Vice, Yamazaki, Geese, Billy, Rugal, characters that have meaning to long time fans but with a new engine to play on and do different things with. I'd rather they put these experimental new characters as DLC and let fans decide their fate instead of forcing you to love them.

And with KOF, it's supposed to be this big mash-up of SNK games brought into one fighting game. Why not give some Metal Slug characters or bring back some Garou guys besides Tizoc/Rock? I'd be down to see Freeman again, especially since Claw Iori is pretty much dead forever seemingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Liang

Arcane
To be fair, they have scaled back new characters for the KoF XV launch roster. There will likely be one "new faces" team (the rave girl's team), maybe two, judging by the character select screen we saw. That is in line with the original couple of KoF games. Compared to KoF XIV where they really went nuts with new characters.

The Wildcard appears to be Heidern who is on the cover art. It seems like, besides the Sacred Treasures team, each other character on the cover art is the "leader" of a different team. So it appears as if the 13th team (the one on the bottom row center) is likely either Heidern's team, or (less likely) the dreadlock woman's team. No clue who would be on the Heidern team - I assume that if it were just the "old masters" team, it would already have gotten a reveal.

Silentstorm

Learned
I would love an old masters team honestly, seeing Saisyu, Heidern and Takuma form a team would be badass.

Also, i notice Ash is there and also doesn't have his team revealed too, i assume Elisabeth since she is the only one that remembered him and the previous timeline and...maybe Kukri since he was hired by Elisabeth to look for Ash and help a guy that was retconned out of existence and thus legally never existed at all aside from the memories of one woman, wonder if Ash will be making references to past meetings while everyone is all like "What the hell are you talking about, this is the first time we met!".

As for new characters, i want each game to have some new characters, i just want them to be fun and likeable, but XIV's new characters were...ehhh, the best were Antonov and Luong who ended up coming back, the rest should be better in theory but aren't that memorable, particularly the two new main guys, Shun'Ei just felt like a generic guy who is too easy to forget for a psychic that fights with energy hands, and the other has the lame gimmick of sleeping and having a pillow and Tung Fu Rue just stole their thunder.

XIV is just weird because, again, in theory none of the new characters should be that bad, but damn me if they aren't that memorable, aside from Antonov and Luong, the big awesome character was Dinosaur...and he's Tizoc with a new name wanting revenge for getting his ass kicked by that...boxer guy who i see no one talking about or caring about as much as Tizoc/Dinosaur.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I wish they would revert back to a more serious tone and a more darker story like we had in KoF99 and KoF00. KoF today feels way too cheerful, and it doesn't help that it's all about being a Dreamfest every new iteration. Remember when we had stages like this those in the old games?

Kof2kfactory1bg.gif
kof99-stage-airport2.gif

It wasn't always about cheerleaders or singers dancing in the background, while people were doing goofy stuff. KoF games back then were way more atmospheric than the games today.

Anyway, the three things which I absolutely hated in KoF14 were the newcomer characters (Xanadu was the only interesting one), the atrocious art and graphic quality, and incredible bland quality of the soundtracks. And it seems like that the new SNK knew this as well, which explains the revival of franchise favourit Orochi team (and other fan favourites), the DJ station (because we can't be arsed to create memorable soundtracks), and the graphical upgrade (which was a given). Art style is still meh, but at least the newcomer characters aren't that offensive to look at. Can't say that I am hyped about this game though
(unless they reveal Krizalid as a secret character)

Generic-Giant-Spider

A lot of people didn't think much of it, but I really loved the dark/gritty and almost apocalyptic vibe that SvC Chaos had going on with its stages. I like it when KoF has a lot of stages that make it feel like the tournament it should be. Has a big crowd, photographers, maybe a video screen or something. They kind of have this for XV it looks like. There's the big stadium stage and one where the current fight is being actively covered on a news station so that's cool.

One thing I will praise is the art style and visual design of the characters hasn't gone to complete shit like SF did. They still look like their 2D counterparts and not some cel-shaded claymation thing.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Is Trilogy on Fightcade?

If you play Noob Saibot I'm crashing the game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Which version do they use? I'm assuming the N64 version since no load times.

Otherwise I imagine it'd be fun to troll as Shang Tsung.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Power Rangers something something Grid is actually pretty good. Solid fighting mechanics with easy to learn controls and a difficult AI for you to git gud on.

Feels similar to Marvel vs Capcom since some of the greats from the era advised the devs.

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Savant
Anyone picking up Melty Blood: Type Lumina in a few days? Definitely will have less content compared to MBAACC (though that version was built on top of older iterations) but Lumina's got rollback and the gameplay has looked nothing but good, especially if you're a Under Night fan.

Also Saber confirmed as the final character it seems.

177xmcl.png

Jason Liang

Arcane

KOF XV Isla trailer, and about 15 minutes of actual gameplay

Game looks... not too much worse than Samsho. However, the characters seem sluggish, particularly Athena:/

Generic-Giant-Spider

Looks like a step up from XIV in terms of graphics/effects/presentation, seems like there's a lot more polish. New girl I don't give a fuck about, just wanted to see Terry and Iori bust some heads.

Lol @ how the room they're in have a bunch of Mai pictures. Japan is the savior we need.

Generic-Giant-Spider

And Shermie has the perfect figure.

Join the Shermie Simps or be left behind.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Using the Tekken 2 intro music already gave me high hopes for the video.

Still one of the best fighting game intros. Drunken King stumbling around in an alleyway lolz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom